A Brave New World Ch. 01

The noblewoman gave John a hard look at his demand that they leave the library. She, like Istvan and Albus, hadn't even begun to explore the bookshelves. The woman did not strike either of them as a weak individual, though she did have a distant expression on her face as if she wasn't really interested in arguing. "I can see the church from the window," she replied with an arched eyebrow. She did not take orders from John and this seemed obvious to everyone but John.

"An? Wha's yar point, lass?" He replied, folding his arms across his chest and looking at her seriously. "Look, I don' think it's a good idear ta separate right now..."

The arched eyebrow took on an even greater look of skepticism before resolving to apathy. "Whatever..." she let out through a sigh as she put the book back and half-heartedly followed him out the door toward the Chapel. Their father had apparently gone there first and it wasn't until Istvan and Albus heard the church bell sounding that they decided to join the others.

What they saw, however, was not expected. Robin had a wide eyed look of terror to his face while Tracy and the other Cuthbertian had stone faced seriousness. The man tossed the Father of the two strange individuals to the ground and the man rolled to his back, a look of terror which mirrored Robin's on his face.

"What is the meaning of this?" Demanded a dark skinned clericess. Her fists had clenched and others were standing behind her with a similar demeanor of resolution.

Meanwhile, the noblewoman rushed toward the fallen man to attempt to help him up and get him out the danger.

"Please, m'Lady," announced Robin gently as he moved toward her, "Please step away. This man is not what he seems."

"Ya have about five seconds ta explain before I start crack'n skulls," John replied violently.

Tracy cocked an eyebrow at John skeptically as she tossed a leather bound book into the ground next to the man. "His holy book is written in Infernal. He was speaking it."

The noblewoman said nothing, but as her eyes found the book, her entire emotional state was displayed on her face. It was as if relief and disbelief flooded over her all at once. "Where did you find this?" She asked, the awe betrayed by her tone. "They burned them all." Her hand hovered over the book with a deep reverence.

The other Cuthbertian cocked his eyebrow at her reaction, but it was Tracy who reacted first by reaching down to yank Madeline up by her arm. "You subscribe to this as well?" She inquired firmly.

The icy and powerful look that Maddy cast Tracy was something the female paladin was utterly unprepared to receive. She was so shocked by it that her hand loosened on Maddy's arm and the smaller woman yanked herself free with a precise action. "Don't ever touch me again," she almost growled in a tone that emulated the powerful look. When Maddy wanted to intimidate, it was guaranteed.

The dark skinned cleric now looked unsure of who to attack. "Infernal is the tongue of devils," she explained seriously. "Is this true? You worship devils?"

"What? Are you fook'n insane?" John retorted, now positioning himself between the soldiers and the proned priest. He was starting to panic. The other group had them flanked. The only one who didn't look concerned was Maddy. If anything, she looked apathetic. "We worship gad ya fool. Gad hates the devil..."

"Please," begged their father. "There is some misunderstanding. We do not worship the devil; we worship the one true god. I was praying in Latin, the tongue of the church. I assure you, we mean no harm."

"I wouldn't say that, fater," John replied firmly. "They touch ya again an they'll see harm they won' forget."

"Little man no touch cleric," boomed the voice of the barbarian man. "Thorn kill devil. Thorn kill devil worship."

"Bring it on, ya big fooker," John hissed, now turning to face the most obvious threat.

"Enough!" shouted the dark skinned clericess who's expression was solidly threatening in her own right. Several other women stepped up behind her, one of which seemed strong enough to take John up on his retort without a weapon at all.

Chaos broke out in that moment. The enormous Barbarian leapt forward at John, who dove out of the way with a seasoned ease.

"STOP THIS!" Shouted Istvan over the chaos, stepping forward as Maddy was stooped again, attempting to collect the priest from the ground as quickly as possible. All three of the strange people had wide eyes and looked as if they would run. "There must be an explanation! I heard the voice of Rao himself just an hour past, have you all so quickly forgotten? We were placed here for peace; all of us!"

"You don't know that," replied an older woman from behind him. "What if this is all some sort of trap? That evil is lowering our guard to better kill us?"

Albus squinted slightly. "Powerful enough to bring us to this place but foolish enough to place a book of devils in plain site?" The man inquired.

"There is a barrel in the chapel labeled Blood of Christ," The male Cuthbertian announced. "They drink blood and speak in the tongue of devils. What more evidence is necessary?"

"Wait," insisted Robin. "I insist they are permitted an opportunity to explain this evil."

"Father," Maddy insisted quickly. "Take the bible and run," she said, grabbing the book and thrusting it into his hands. "Get it safe."

"I do not think that is wise," came the voice of another towering man with a thick dwarven accent as he stepped forward and pulled the priest up by his arm. He was firm but not violent. "There will be answers, little woman."

"Please," the man continued urgently as panic swelled in his voice. "Allow them to leave. They are innocent -"

The man was interrupted as John slammed his fists into the back of the dwarven speaking man, sending him down to the ground in a groan. That instant Thorn tackled the smaller man from behind. A battle for control ensued; one which the smaller man was unlikely to win, though much to everyone else's horror, it was a much more closely matched battle than expected. "RUN MADDY!" He bellowed at the noblewoman who was already starting to back away.

Istvan couldn't allow this to continue. In a swift move, his arm shot out and latched onto the woman's, eliciting the same powerful glare and recoil that the paladiness had experienced. Much to the surprise of the others, the father of these two stopped and checked on the dwarven speaking man, rather than running away. "No, please!" He pleaded with the others. "I submit freely. There is no need for this violence! Please stop this. This man needs medical attention!"

The Cuthbertian sneered at them all as finally the barbarian was able to restrain the man named John. "Come and see the evidence yourself," he stated impassively. "I certainly am curious for an explanation to this apparent trickery," He cast a skeptical glance toward Robin. "I trust this is just in our approach?" The sarcasm was obvious in his tone.

Istvan sighed heavily as he directed the woman to move forward. It wasn't ideal, but for the moment it was keeping blood from being shed and it would give them an opportunity to explain themselves in a less violent setting. The woman's jaw tensed and her arm flexed under his grip. "Let me go this second," she stated firmly. "I swear to god I will kill anyone who touches that man, you understand me?" She was talking about the priest who was willingly walking toward the temple, though, had John not been in such a violent battle for freedom, he'd have swelled slightly in pride at her disposition.

Istvan frowned at her. He didn't release her, but wasn't forceful either. "No one will hurt him," he answered her patiently. "You have my word; you will not be harmed, m'Lady -"

"I don't give a fuck about me," she answered sharply. "If you idiots harm a hair on his head I will destroy you." The seriousness of her voice was not easily mistaken and Istvan tensed. He was glad they were only a few steps from the church.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 31 milliseconds