A Brave New World Ch. 02

"And you would have us cast aside reason?" Countered Tracy firmly. "Speaking in the ilkish tongue of a Dragon is one matter, Mr. Caracus, but speaking in the tongues of devils is an entirely different issue. No," she said with some finality, "the nobility will decide which course of action ought be taken."

This statement instantly polarized the group for a number of reasons. In reality, very few had ever given question to whether or not the nobles would rule, but it was not something that Istvan could swallow easily. His green eyes met hers in a hard gaze of determination. "Forgive me, m'Lady, but I was unaware that there was anything other than an empty village awaiting us here. Perhaps I was not present; which lord of this land knighted you thusly?"

Tracy's eyes reduced to slits as she took in Istvan without intimidation. "Your talk of abandoning titles and structure would lead us directly into chaos and darkness. Such cannot be tolerate in any world if it is to remain pure."

"Why?" came a rather blunt question from Thorn.

"What do you mean, why?" Asked Jacelyn innocently. "Any thriving community must have order."

"You say. But this not good. This law. Not same," the brute replied.

"This fellow is correct," said a cleric who had until now been silent. "The natural world has no order and only the most basic of rules. Your statements would imply that the wilderness is inherently evil. I am Ananda, servant of the Obad-hai. This man is Thorn, a devotee of Kord and clearly wiser than you credit him."

Simon rolled his eyes. "I believe I have heard enough." He turned, gesturing for a few others to follow and he, Jacelyn, and Tracy left the temple.

"W-wait!" Called Robin after them, but the man with the striking blue eyes rested his hand on the young man's arm. This man had a stature similar to the dwarven speaking man and had been one of the men keeping John in his little cage

"It is noble that you put forth the effort my young friend, but there are some things which cannot be changed. Followers of St. Cuthbert are one of them. My name is Timius of Sexton. I am a cleric of Erathus. You needn't worry," he added with a glance to Ananda, "for not all here care for such strong impositions of law."

"I agree with Timius, young Robin," replied Lili a bit sadly. "There are those who seek to impose order, those who would replace it with chaos, and those of us caught in between."

Those who remained continued to talk as Robin had hoped, discussing their situation. In the end, they agreed that all of the clerics would remain in the temple to pray to the gods in hopes of further clarity and that the scholars would look for answers in arcane magics and mundane knowledges. The others would go about establishing the town to ensure that all had enough to eat and were properly clothed and housed.

It was only as the group was finally starting to disperse (having lost almost half of the others) that Albus gently stopped Istvan. "My friend, it was unwise of you to announce your positions before those such as the Cuthberts," he said cautiously. "Even if the words you spoke were wise indeed. I do not believe that speaking a language makes one evil. It is how one behaves which determines this and it is quite possible that the stranger folk among us are from an odd and far off land where such oddities are common place. It is not our duty to judge these people harshly, but rather, affirm the goodness within them. It appears we are kindred spirits. I shall look forward to working with you."

Istvan deflated slightly. "I suppose you are correct and it does please me to call you a friend as well," he admitted. Istvan let out a heavy sigh. "What are we to do? I suppose the arcane explorations are left to us?"

Albus smiled at him. "I shall return to the library and begin a study of my own," he replied, mildly conspiratorially. "I believe a strong scry would be of use here," he added with a wink. Albus was content on hiding the fact that he was a wizard for as long as possible, though Istvan was already well aware of it.

Istvan offered him a grin as he followed him back to the library. He already decided that he liked the man and in some way, Istvan thought him a fatherly sort. An idea suddenly came to the man and he snapped his fingers. "The genders are even," he commented, still processing the thought. "Are we meant to form pairs? It would seem yes if we are to repopulate this land..." Istvan suddenly found himself wondering which of the women would be his mate.

In his mind, he had already eliminated Tracy and Jacelyn. While Jacelyn at least was lovely, neither women's dispositions had appealed to him. Natalia and Lili were both attractive and seemingly wise, as were the others, but Istvan's mind kept drifting to two specific women: Madeline and the beautiful woman who had not offered her name.

Istvan was so deep in thought that he did not notice when Madeline quietly stepped into the library. Albus stopped what he was working on to look up at her. She frowned upon seeing Albus and Istvan. "Did you finish checking the books?" She more demanded than asked.

Albus shook his head. "I am afraid they are all blank, m'Lady." He watched her curiously.

"Can I have one?" She asked, which seemed to surprise Albus.

"M'Lady, they are not mine but the property of all here," he answered.

Istvan's eyes instantly locked on Madeline in a sense of hope that the notion of community hadn't been lost in this terrible misunderstanding. "Miss... er.... Doctor? Parker?" He stumbled over his words, suddenly feeling rather lame.

Madeline offered him a skeptical look, but waited for him to finish.

"I... about before... we didn't..." He stammered. This was quite unlike him. Istvan was usually quite logical and diplomatic.

The skeptical look didn't diminish. She gave him the look long enough to silently communicate that she thought him a fool before she returned to address Albus. "I didn't know if anyone had established any sorts of claims to property and the last thing I need right now is to be accused of stealing," she told him frankly. "So can I have a blank book and maybe a pen or something too?"

Albus looked a bit deflated, but he offered her a compliant smile as he rose to fetch a spare ink well and a fresh quill. Madeline looked at the quill and well incredulously. "I... wow... uh...." It was her turn to fumble over her words, though she did appear to be attempting to be polite.

Albus offered her another smile, though this one was laced with confusion. "Is the ink not to your liking, m'Lady? I am afraid it is the only ink I have found in the library."

Madeline gave him a mildly pathetic look. "I honestly have no idea," she replied genuinely. "I've never used a feather before...

Istvan offered Albus a confused look. "Forgive me, Doctor Parker," he started, assuming Doctor was her title, "But are you not a noble? You have the demeanor of an educated woman and your priest attribute you a title....?"

Madeline raised both eyebrows in surprise. "A what?" She repeated, obviously further confused. "Uh... no. I'm..." Madeline abandoned the effort at that point, retreating back into her comfortable level of apathy. "Nevermind. No, I'm not a noble, yes I'm educated, and no that doesn't mean I instantly know how to use this. It doesn't matter. I'm sure this will do; thanks," she said, accepting the ink and quill awkwardly and tucking a book under her arm.

Madeline moved toward the door when Istvan stood to approach her. Again she gave him a skeptical look. "Wait, Madeline," he insisted, rounding a table to stand next to her. "Did you find a cabin for yourself and your friends? Umm, the father? Maybe I could walk you home? It is getting dark out. I promise to be a gentleman.", he spouted out much less elegantly than he had wanted. He really did not want to scare or offend her and he was hoping to recover from the massive faux pax that the group had committed earlier.

Madeline offered him a plane look. "The cabins are marked," she replied, much to Istvan's and Albus's surprise. "I found what seems to be mine, thank you." She had the terse politeness of a general, as if the business of social interaction was a laborious endeavor to her and she took great pains to avoid it if she could. "Anyway, I'm not afraid of the dark," she added. Something suggested a dual meaning to the statement. "Thanks for the offer, but it's unnecessary." She nodded over to one of the other stores. "Maybe one of the women would like that though. That Jacelyn chick probably would," she added, curiously removing herself from that designation and distancing herself from the other obvious noble.

The fact that they were having a conversation, even as awkward as it was, felt like a victory to the man. They had lost so much in what Simon had conducted in the temple and Istvan suspected it would take months, maybe years to unravel. As Madeline turned to leave again, Istvan started after her again, instantly regretting it. He was beginning to look needy.

"Oh, alright. That is a far walk; but if you are comfortable with it.... You know, I am something of a scholar myself... If you are intending to author something I would be more than happy to lend my expertise. I think Albus is working on a book of known spells to be shared, as well as a bestiary of known animals and monstrous creatures from the....home. It might be fun to exchange knowledge", he called out in a gentler manner, pausing to gather his thoughts before finishing.

Madeline's expression went blank, as if she was trying to decide whether Istvan was a fool or he was genuine. That was not an expression he was accustomed to receiving. Usually he was on the other end of it. "A spell book, huh?" She asked, implying right away what she thought was ridiculous. "I uh... I'm gonna have to pass, Mr. Caracus," she replied as politely as she could. "Thanks anyway.... uhm... have a nice evening?" She seemed unsure of herself, but not in a weak sense. In form, Madeline was a delicate and beautiful woman. In personality, she could rival Simon and probably any general Istvan had ever met. The two did not seem to fit together at all.

With that said, Madeline turned and left, this time for good, leaving Istvan feeling childish and embarrassed for his efforts. Albus stepped into the doorway of the library as the woman walked away. He watched her with interest, though the look was more scrutinizing and suspicious than appraising. He only broke his study to eye Istvan.

"I would not go taking an interest in her, my good friend," he advised solemnly and quietly. "My scries are not yet complete, but what has transpired thus far suggests she is far more than any have expected."

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 248 milliseconds