A Complicated Story

I looked over letting him know we were good. "How about, you and Wade? Kids?" Justin laughed at the suggestion.

"We are both for it but not equipped for it!" It was his turn to tease me. "It is not easy for gay men to adopt but we may try."

It was the first time he had publicly used the word gay in my presence, in a way it signified the trust we had in each other. We sat in the living room after dinner talking never once bringing up Kim and her absence. Later lying in bed my thoughts went back to the painful memories I had of the reason I was sterile.

I was driving, Kim was beside me I would soon be graduating from high school. For months I had debated on where to attend college. With dad's urging I decided to attend the State University some three plus hours away. Earlier that day Kim had found my decision was final, mom had held off telling her as long as she could. Even at fifteen Kim was headstrong, getting her way one way or another. Hoping to change my mind as we drove to the mall Kim started getting animated.

I explained that the money had already been sent and there was no way to back out now. Kim was screaming to take her home. I explained the mall was just down the street, she could sit in the car if she wanted but we were not going back now. I remember she grabbed the steering wheel trying to turn us back. I don't know if I hit a car or if they hit me. I do know I woke up in the hospital with a concussion and a severe pain in my groin. The tops of my thighs were black and blue, my balls were enlarged and also discolored. The steering wheel in mom's car was embedded in the seat they told me, I was in between.

I could hear the nurses joke about how lucky I was to be alive and still have all my family jewels. A week later I was up and about none the worse for wear, except I was told I would probably never be able to father kids. I have been tested several times since. I remember the first time I had to give a sample, I was so embarrassed! Then it is to see if anything has changed, it hasn't. The sad thing is I still worry about birth control?

I think that is why mom was 'helping' me. She was the only one that knew, I think she was making sure there was not a more serious problem. Kim has apologized profusely, to both me and mom. The wrecked car has never been replaced, mom has been car-pooling ever since. I am better now, I know there are options. Justin bringing it up now was unfortunate timing. I was just about over this, the most serious thing Kim has done to me.

How she continued to wreck my life after all those years together. All of the vacations, all the times I helped her in school. All the times I covered for her with dad especially, and then mom? How could she go from being my best friend to someone that almost single handed came so close to destroying it. It's complicated I know, but still, why have I even stuck around this long?

Then I remember those nights at the lake when we would sneak down to the water's edge when mom and dad zipped up their tent. How we talked about our dreams, where and how we wanted to live. How many kids we wanted, what kind of jobs we would have, how our spouses would look so are kids would be good looking. I remember how Kim would go on about her wedding dress, I would talk about the car I would drive. How naive we were?

Then there were the last two nights. Was I falling in love with her, or had I been in love and just did not want to admit it? Was she taking advantage of me? Was I an enabler, letting her have her way in exchange for a few rolls in the hay? Maybe in the past but since Vince we have had little contact.

Still when we are together I feel there is a connection, more than just friends comforting each other, at least for me. Now that she is gone I feel this emptiness inside, it hurts, why does it have to be so complicated?

The next day at breakfast Justin was so understanding, we talked, he tried to console me. Knowing Wade would be home later I put up a brave front and changed the subject to him.

Justin could barely control his excitement at the thought of Wades return. It was all we talked about at breakfast.

If I have learned anything from TV shows about crime, it is not over in an hour. I won't get into specifics, but the charges Vince and Kim faced went on forever. Kori was almost two when they were arrested she was now over three.

Kim and Vince got married a move that did not set well with anyone in my family. Kim was facing relatively light charges, still she was facing three years, Vince was facing much more. The thinking was he forced her to marry him so she would not testify against him. Regardless it was done and soon with all the delays the trials would begin.

About this time Justin and Wade were becoming quite serious. They planned on buying a house together. With my job, jet setting around the country I decided to look for another place to live if they did move out. The last few years had been great, Justin and now Wade had become some of the closest friends I have.

I was in of all places Tulsa, Oklahoma when Justin called and left a message. Expecting the worst I returned his call. He asked if I was still planning on being back tomorrow. I said I was, he asked if I could stop by and see him before I went to the office. I explained that it would be mid afternoon when I got in, I would not be going to the office. The next day Justin and Wade were waiting for me.

Without telling me what they wanted they drove me to the older part of town. Mature trees lined the streets, a variety of homes of all different sizes and shapes contrasted the newer cookie cutter houses built since then around the city. We pulled up in front of a massive home on a large lot. Set back from the street a long circular drive curved around the front and joined the drive at the house on the left returning to the street. Leaded windows and a large oak door drew your attention immediately. The place was grand in scale and yet looked warm and inviting.

"Do you like it? Wade asked. I looked at him then Justin.

"For the two of you? Wow! Is it as nice inside?" I hesitated thinking of how rude I might have been.

"Better!" Justin replied. "Adam it is for us!" Wade looked at me. I hesitated before I realized he was including me. Wade and Justin both nodded.

"Thanks guys but I think it's time we go our separate ways. I can afford my own place, besides three is a crowd!" I joked.

We all laughed, then Wade pulled up in front of the next house that shared the circular drive.

"Justin said you would say that!" He looked a Justin then me. "So we decided to sell you this house for yourself."

I was stunned, I was not even looking for a house! I turned and saw a quaint brick house, good size but much smaller than the home they were looking at. The architecture was similar just a smaller version.

"Come on let's go in and check it out." Justin offered. We went inside, it was dated but beautiful. Real wood moldings, high ceilings, ornate touches throughout. The upstairs offered four bedrooms each a good size. The master was the largest and came with its own bathroom. Two bedrooms shared a bathroom with double sinks and a bath tub. The fourth had its own bathroom, it had a shower but no tub. All of the fixtures looked original and in great shape.

The first floor had a large living room, a formal dining room a good size kitchen. The kitchen looked to have been updated recently. There was a small parlor. On the back was a large family room that appeared to have been added later with windows covering three walls. They looked out over the most beautiful back yard with plants galore. Wade opened the door and led us outside, we looked over the grounds. There was again a newer than the house four car garage and ornate fences on two sides.

The side with the driveway was connected to the mansion they were looking at. You could see in every way the two houses were connected. All the landscape and fences were one big backyard.

"Do you like it?" Justin asked. Overwhelmed I looked at both of them.

"Guys? Have you seen the size of that house? I don't need anything that big! Besides who is going to clean it?" Wade looked at Justin then back to me.

"He told me you would say that also!" Wade laughed.

Wade went on to explain that the main house was owned by a wealthy doctor. When his son died he purchased the house next door and moved his daughter in law and grandchildren in it. He passed away many years ago, the daughter in law is in a nursing home.

They are trying to sell the two homes together otherwise they will have to rip out much of the landscape and drives to split the lots. There is a housekeeper that lives in the big house and keeps both houses clean. Helen is part of the bargain. If we buy the houses and keep them together, she and the gardener will be paid for out of the estate as long as she lives in the house and he wants maintain the grounds.

The sales pitch was completed with a handshake, for what I was paying now in rent I could buy a home. Knowing who my neighbors were and that two people kept a job was icing on the cake. The best part is it was almost half way between dad's and work.

I held back telling everyone until the deal was done both for them and for me. It took some wrangling to not have to split the lots but everything eventually got settled and signed off at the city.

Back at court things became even more complicated. Kim was sentenced to two and half years, Vince to five years. At sentencing Kim's lawyer announced she was pregnant with her second child! All hell broke loose, the judge admonished the lawyer, but he argued that his client was willing to serve her time, but wanted to wait until the baby was born.

The judge was not happy but agreed figuring she was not a flight risk and the state would have to pay for the birth if she was in custody. Being a mother herself she set the date six months after the baby was born to allow Kim to breast feed during that time.

I did not attend being out of town for most of the trial and during the sentencing, mom filling me in on the details. Vince was allowed to attend the birth of his second child but had to report to serve his time within thirty days. This was really no big deal as it was only a few months away and within weeks of when he was to show up anyway. I did not see much of Kim during the next few months. She was still living with Vince in a trailer park.

Occasionally I saw her at moms but mostly I saw Kori. I was busy at work and moving into the new house. Justin and Wade were life savers. Helen the housekeeper was awesome, nearing sixty she looked younger. The first time she met Kori I knew she was taken in with my niece as much as I was.

Plans were being made for the time Vince and Kim would be away. Kori would be in daycare during the day then mom would pick her up. As for the new baby I was not sure. Like the last time Vince was nowhere to be found when Kim delivered Maxwell. Dad, Kori and I were in the waiting room mom with Kim. Weeks later I knew when mom call sobbing in the phone something terrible had happened. My first thoughts were about my dad. He had been not well lately, thankfully it was not that, it was almost worse.

With days before he was to turn himself in Vince pulled the bonehead move of taking off with Kim and the kids. Just back in town I rushed to moms. Kim had left a frantic message on the machine at home while mom was at work. When mom went to pick up Kori at daycare she was already gone. The worker there said Kim picked up Kori at day care and left. She saw Vince driving, they were in a motor home. I immediately called the police after listening to the message, Kim was screaming Vince was taking her and she did not want to go. They came right over but there was little they could do. A wife upset with her husband was common for them, until there was a real crime there was little they could do. Vince was not due for two days, unless we could prove he was leaving the state, he could go camping if he wanted. If his wife did not want to go she would have to call them herself. The officer said they would be on the lookout but legally his hands were tied. I searched all night as did mom and dad but they could be anywhere.

Sure enough the cops were back when Vince didn't show up for jail. They leaned pretty hard on mom and dad but they knew nothing. If my dad did he would have killed him. I did some investigating of my own. People were sympathetic to me being her brother. What I did learn was Vince was armed and he had sold all of his motorcycles and parts. He did take his tools. With the money he had I figured he could hole up for six months to a year. With his tools maybe another. Sooner or later he would be located. What gave me more confidence was I knew he cared little for the kids. I don't think he would hurt them but he was a free spirit, they would be chains around his neck. This was his bargaining chip, as long as he had them he knew my mom would pay to keep them safe. He did not know me.

Sure the cops would look, I even talked to the federal marshals one time. But these were non violent offenders for minor crimes. Sure they would do their job but resources are limited and dangerous criminals were top on the list. Dad on the other hand was pissed he put up forty grand for Kim's bond. If she does not show up she is dead, if she does she may be dead still!

Life passed pretty much uneventful for almost two years. Dad was pissed at Kim, but thrilled to come over and help John the gardener at my house and Justin's. Mom was more depressed as each day drew closer. We missed Kori's sixth birthday and soon Max would be two. I had been traveling for work too many years. I talked to my boss but with consolidations they had no place for me to go.

One day I went to see Ted. He was thrilled to see me and I him. We talked for some time before I asked him if he was looking for help. I thought he would faint he was so stunned. I was well known in the business, he could not fathom I would be looking for a job. I explained my reasons, I didn't mind a day or two but I was tired of living out of a suitcase. He explained that he could not afford what I was making but if I came back there would be bonuses if business picked up. He knew what I did before and how it affected him when I left. We decided to think on it for a few days and meet again.

The next day Mom was at my house when I came home. She visited often but never alone.

"Adam I need to talk to you!" We went in my office she looked scared. "I have something to tell you. Please don't be mad."

"Tell me what?" I asked knowing her secret. "That you have been sending Kim money and now he wants more?" She was so stunned she was speechless. I moved beside her and kissed her on the lips.

"It's ok Karen I figured it was just a matter of time!" She looked at me like I had read her mind.

"How did you know?" She finally spit out.

"Because you love her, and of course the kids." I held her tight.

"Adam he wants two thousand dollars! I don't have that kind of money!" She started crying.

"It's ok I do." She looked up at me her eyes red. "But we do it my way, or we don't do it!"

"Yes dear anything you say." Mom hugged me.

She told me what Vince wanted and how it was to go down. I told her how it was going to go down. I explained that whatever she does she must not let Vince alter from the plan. She promised me she would not. They would be contacting her later tonight. I was at the house when they called. It was a local number so I knew it was from a pay phone or a friend. The motor home needed repairs, Vince was desperate, he needed cash. Mom told them they could come to the house tomorrow night. Kim and the kids would come in the house and she would send the money out with Kim.

The next day I had a talk with dad. I explained the part he was to play. He was plenty pissed telling me my sister was never welcome in his house again. I explained we would deal with that later, besides if she was home she would be going to jail. He also would get his bond money back, well at least most of it. Mom was feeding him coffee just so he would stay awake. The motor home pulled up I could see in the dim light Vince was driving. Kim and Kori walked up the drive to the house. Mom ushered them inside. The bastard still had Max. I knew he would be slippery but this was not in my plan. Still I knew he would be nervous and desperate. I walked past Kim noticing her gaunt look, Kori looked dirty and weak. I went to the passenger door of the motor home, Vince pointed the gun at me.

"Why are you here asshole, Kim was supposed to bring the money out!" He spat.

"And you were supposed to send both the kids in!" I replied.

"You set me up and I will kill you!" He was looking in the mirrors.

"Relax Vince, my mother gave you her word and she does not lie. I have the money right here. I will give it to you, you give me Max and you can go!"

"Fuck you! I should blow your head off right now and take the money and my family!" He shouted. That scared Max he started crying.

"Vince look over at the upstairs window, what do you see?" he looked up at dad pointing a rifle at him. "He was not a sniper but he was in Nam, still at this distance I think he can take you down!"

"Fuck you!" He screamed again. Max was crying louder, his dad yelled at him to shut up. He didn't.

"Vince, look you need cash, I just want Max. Take the cash, here I will give you a grand for Kori." I tossed the money to him he looked to see if it was real. "The other is for Max. You can go, besides they are just holding you back anyway!"

"Goddamn right they are, too many mouths to feed!" I thought he was going to take the money but he was still paranoid. "We do this somewhere else. Somewhere I can get away!"

"Great, you tell me where, better yet don't tell me, I will just follow you in the car. You give me Max I give you the money. It is all we have."

"Follow me asshole and no going in the house!" I waved off dad and got in my car, I could hear Kim yelling at the door for me to stay and for Vince to give me Max. I followed him, I could almost have told you where we were going. Damn we are creatures of habit. We pulled up to his old shop he parked the motor home the lot was empty except for one guy on a motorcycle talking on the phone. Vince knew these streets, this location had plenty of exit points. I figured this guy was some kind of lookout to see if others were following us. Vince is a hustler I knew he had some kind of a plan, it would not take long to find out what it was.

"Give me the money and take the kid to your bitch sister." He yelled as he walked over to me. I heard Max in the motor home still crying.

"Vince, I know you are not a bad guy, look it is a minor jamb you have yourself in. Turn yourself in, do some easy time and you will be back in a few years. No more looking over your shoulder." I pleaded with him.

"Give me the money asshole, I got more waiting for me, I just have to get there." Vince pointed the gun at me I handed him the cash. "Wait here asshole until I leave. Your sister is the coldest fish in the fucking sea. You can have her too!"

He backed up, I could see him smiling as he looked over the cash, turning to his friend he tossed him the keys to the motor home.

"Keep him here until I am long gone, if you see cops shoot him!" Vince mounted the cycle and fired it up. The engine lit with a roar. He gave me the finger as he rode off, I hoped I would never see him again.

I knew the buddy, not well but we had talked. He looked at me obviously not happy to be in the situation he found himself in.

"So the cops coming?" He yelled as I walked closer.

"Not unless you called them." I extended my hand to shake his. Nervously he gripped my hand. "Like I told Vince we just want the kid's. I gave him the money I have the kids, we are both happy!"

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 46 milliseconds