• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Novels and Novellas
  • /
  • A Death in the Family Ch. 02

A Death in the Family Ch. 02

1234

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 8 - Planning and Execution (continued)

Carole Troy peered at the Officer as he said "Come on, get in the car."

"What's the safeword?" Carole asked loudly.

"What?" said the Officer.

"What's the safeword?" Carole asked again. The Officer did not respond, but opened his car door to get out.

"RUN, MARIE!" Carole shouted. She grabbed her friend's hand to make sure Marie came with her, and they began running down the sidewalk, Carole screaming her lungs out.

"HELP! HELP!" Carole screamed as she ran, pulling Marie along. "SOMEBODY HELP US!"

Other kids, parents, and teachers looked to see what the commotion was, and seeing the two girls running, they moved towards them. The Officer, seeing others coming up to help Carole and Marie, quickly got into his car and gunned it down the road with a screech of tires...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I pulled into the Eastside Elementary parking lot, the blue lightbar on my Police SUV blazing. Two Police cruisers were already there, as were a number of parents, teachers and kids. And the Press.

I made sure to compose myself, then I got out of my vehicle and walked over to where Carole and Marie were. Their mothers were also there, and how Laura had beaten me here was currently beyond my understanding, except for the fact she was a mother whose child was in danger. Also with them was Detective Joanne Warner. Detective Theo Washington was talking to parents and Police Officers.

"Hello, sir." said Lt. Jerome Davis, coming up to me. "I've already got Myron getting video from every camera in the area. We've got some descriptions of the man, but except for Carole and Marie's descriptions, they're pretty vague."

"Okay, good." I said. "What about the Police car itself?"

Jerome said "Fits our standard Police cruisers in every detail, from the color to the markings. We've called County Jail to get an inventory and see if any vehicles are missing."

"Good." I said. "Let me know the second Myron gets something." I then walked up to Carole and Marie. Carole was calm, not showing any stress from what had just happened. Marie was shaken up but trying to be brave in front of Carole and the others.

"Hello, young ladies." I said. "Are you okay?"

"Yes, Daddy." Carole said. "I did just what Mommy always said do: I asked for the safeword, and when he didn't know it, we ran and screamed real loud."

Marie said "Carole made sure I ran with her so I didn't get kidnapped, too."

"I wasn't going to leave you behind to be kid-napped." Carole said, hugging her BFF. Their mothers and Joanne looked a bit emotional at that, as well.

"That's very good." I said, getting their attention back. "You both were very brave, and you did very well. Why don't you tell me what you've told these Detectives." Carole and Marie repeated their stories, which Joanne Warner confirmed was the same thing they'd told her. That was good in that their story was not changing.

A moment later Lt. Davis came up. "Sir, Myron is sending a still-frame from the camera in this parking lot." As he said the words, all our Police iPhones chimed.

The photo showed the back end of the Police cruiser and the perp about to get back into the vehicle... and Carole and Marie running hard in the foreground.

"Oh, that's cute." I said acerbically.

"What's that, sir?" asked Joanne.

"Check out the number of the vehicle." I said, having enlarged my photo to see it.

"1-6-4-0." said Joanne. "None of our vehicle numbers go that high."

"Random number?" asked Theo. "They just put something on there to look right?"

"No, that's on pur-pose." Carole said helpfully. "That's Daddy's Po-leece badge number."

"Yes it is." I said. "Good observation, Carole." I looked around and said: "Anyone recognize the man impersonating a Police Officer?"

"He looks familiar." said Lt. Davis. "I'll send it to the FBI for facial rec."

"Let's do witness rec first." I said as I pulled up a photo on my Police iPhone and showed Carole and Marie.

"That's him!" Marie exclaimed immediately. I glanced at Carole, who was peering at the photo as if trying to memorize it.

"Yes, Daddy. That's him." my daughter said. "He's not a Po-leece-man, is he?"

"No he's not." I said, my face becoming grim.

"Who is it, Don?" Laura asked, seeing my face change.

I showed her and the others the photo I'd shown the girls. "Let's get an APB out immediately." I said loudly to my assembled Officers. "Full alert, top priority. This perp... is Trent Ridge."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

2:00pm, Thursday, June 6th. Carole, Marie, and Tasha were with Laura at her office in the Psychology Building, with Callie also there. Campus Police were outside the building, watching carefully. The boys were at The Cabin, being watched over by the Nextdoor County Police Chief, her mother, and Buddy and the redoubtable Bowser.

I was in the meeting in Classroom 'E' at Police Headquarters. Also there were Sheriff Griswold, Chief Moynahan, Commander Ross, Captain Croyle, Captain Perlman, Lieutenant Myron Milton, Lieutenant Jerome Davis, Detectives Joanne Warner and Theo Washington, FBI Special Agent in Charge Muscone, FBI Special Agent Julius Jefferson of Team Lazarus, and FBI Special Agent Tim Jenkins from Southport.

"EAD Owen Lange is in Washington," said Jack Muscone, "but as soon as he heard about it, he called and asked how the kids were doing. And needless to say, Washington is in a uproar over Trent Ridge's appearance. I asked Tim Jenkins to come up here and help augment our Federal presence here. And don't be surprised if EAD Lange shows up by tomorrow." Everyone nodded towards Tim Jenkins, who was sitting next to Cindy.

"Good." I said, as I was leading this meeting. "I'm grateful for your help. Okay, anything to report?"

"Yes sir." said Joanne Warner. "We found the Police cruiser used by Trent Ridge. He hightailed it across the State Line, and parked at that farmhouse near where Helga Radcliffe's body was found."

I remembered that property, not only from Radcliffe case, but as the location where perps were staying until Takaki Taichi-sama wiped them out with his great seppuku. (Author's note: 'The Pact', Ch. 04; 'Seriously Inconvenienced', Ch. 05.)


Joanne continued: "It's not a real Police cruiser, just a very-well-done replica. There was a radio in it, probably to listen to the Police Band, but it has none of the devices that are on real TCPD vehicles."

"What does the quality of the mock-up of the car suggest to you Detectives?" I asked.

Theo Washington said "Certainly anyone who saw it wouldn't think twice about it being a Police car. And the lightbar could be operated, which would get people out of his way if he needed to drive fast down the highway."

"I think I see what you're getting at, Commander." said Tanya Perlman. "Someone took the time and made the effort to make that mock-up car. So this was planned in advance."

"And add to it that they used your badge number, Don." Cindy astutely said. "That was a definite message to you."

"Yes. I agree, it was." I said. "You're right in what you said, Theo. And I'll add one more thing to what you said, Tanya: someone also put some serious money into doing that. So that means Trent Ridge has money behind him."

"Blassingame?" asked Jack Muscone.

"Yes." I said. "But let's not limit ourselves to him. Lots more Swamp Frogs out there with lots of money. Okay, Myron, whaddya got?"

Myron Milton said "First of all, all real Town & County Public Service vehicles are accounted for, including Fire Department cars and University Hospital ambulances. Second, we've collected more video of the fake Police cruiser driving through Town before the attempt on Carole, but it's spotty at best. Looks like Trent knew where the cameras were, and drove a route to minimize his exposure to them. And since it wasn't a real Police car, we have no transponders nor radio signals to go off of."

"He likely just switched cars at the farmhouse." said Tanya. "He could be anywhere in the tri-State area by now."

"We checked the tags of all cars coming back into our State." said Myron. "They all check out. No rentals or anything that raises a red flag, so far."

Teresa Croyle spoke up: "I have a question, and what Myron just said adds to it. Why did Trent not get out of the car immediately, instead of calling out to Carole from within it? He had a better chance to get her, or Marie, if he had."

"Same reason they made a mock Police car instead of stealing a real one." I said. "He didn't want to be identified, nor traced. He would not have gotten out at all if Carole had gotten into the car."

"Yes sir," said Teresa, "and that's part of my point. Just why is Trent Ridge trying to not be identified, yet they put your badge number on the car?"

"It's a good question." I said, about to go into a reverie.

"If I may, sir." said Jerome Davis. As all eyes went to him, he said "If he'd succeeded in kidnapping Carole and we couldn't identify him, he and whoever's working with him would really have the upper hand. As it is, with him identified and APBs out for him, there's a lot of both local and Federal attention on us here, now. The Army and Navy are looking for him, the FBI is looking for him, and of course we are looking for him. So whatever they were planning on doing, it just got harder for them."

"Which brings me to my questionnnn." said Chief Moynahan. "Exactly why did Trent want to kidnap Carole? Prisoner exchange for Peter Blassingame?"

"So Edward Blassingame is burning Trent?" asked Cindy Ross. "Like he burned Paco Domingo to try to kill Frieda Franklin?"

"THAT'S IT!" I suddenly exclaimed, like Lucy at Schroeder's piano in the Peanuts comics.

Seeing everyone looking at me, I explained: "Sorry. I just realized something, based upon what you all said: if Trent had kidnapped Carole and we didn't know who he was, we likely would be sitting here thinking it was Edward Blassingame trying to get Peter out of jail. But Trent and Quint don't work for Blassingame, at least not like Paco did and Barsbane does. So by knowing who Trent is, I can surmise that Peter Blassingame is not the primary reason for this kidnapping attempt!"

"Then what was the reason?" the Chief asked, reiterating his earlier question.

I shook my head. "I don't know. But we do now know that it's bigger than Edward and Peter Blassingame. Having said that, Trent Ridge was impersonating Police, and using a well-done mock-up of a Police vehicle. Captain Croyle, alert County Jail. Strictest measures to have access to Blassingame's cell, RFID readers, the works. Let me know of anyone who bitches about it..."

Part 9 - Children At Play, Adults At Play

7:30pm, Thursday June 6th. We were having Jim's birthday party at The Cabin. His brothers were present, and Todd and Teresa brought their boys over. Tanya brought little Pete Feeley over, and Mayor Daniel Allgood brought his son Dan and daughter Patricia over. The Griswolds also accepted my invitation to join the festivities.

As the boys did 'boys' things, and in a rowdy manner, Carole, Marie, Patricia, and Tasha were a lot quieter as they made drawings. Marie was trying to hide hers, and I could tell it was going to be something really good. I did observe Laura watching the girls very carefully, and in a professional manner... her profession as a psychiatrist.

In the meantime, I was observing Mrs. Griswold, and was saddened by what I was seeing. Sheriff Griswold stayed by her at all times, but I could see that she seemed confused by what was going on. Laura had told me that Mrs. Griswold's condition was worsening, that her Alzheimer's symptoms were becoming more acute.

Jim opened his gifts, and it should surprise no one that he got Legos, trains and toy cars, and toy soldiers. We could have a full-blown battle in Jim's Lego Town with all those toy soldiers. And someone gave him a 'Risk' game, though I didn't think he was quite old enough for it.

After that was done, Marie came to me with a request. I was able to fulfill it, and went and got a large frame for her drawing. After we put it in the frame, Marie had the girls of all ages gather, and presented the drawing to Carole. It was a very well-drawn picture of Carole and Marie, with Bowser sitting between them.

"This is a drawing of me and my two heroes, Carole and Bowser, who both saved my life." Marie announced. The other girls clapped as Carole hugged Marie. The older women in the room were quite a bit more emotional about it. And it is possible that Carole's dad felt some heartstrings being tugged, too.

"That's my girlfriend!" little Jack Burke said, trying to hug Carole.

"I am not your girlfriend!" declared Carole. I had a suspicion I was going to hear conversations along those lines for a long, long time.

When Carole and Marie showed the Griswold's the photo, Mrs. Griswold seemed to come to life for a moment. "Oh, what a wonderful drawing!" she exclaimed happily. "You are the one who drew that picture of Charlie, aren't you?"

"Yes ma'am." Marie said politely.

Mrs. Griswold complimented Marie further on how well the drawing was done, then handed it to me. "And you are the little girl that saved your friend, aren't you?" she said to Carole.

"Yes ma'am." said Carole politely.

"Well, that is just amazing." said Mrs. Griswold, giving Carole a hug. "I wish I had a granddaughter just like you."

"We can pretend I'm your grand-daughter and you're my grandma." Carole offered helpfully, hugging Mrs. Griswold back. I saw a bit of mist in Our Sheriff's eyes at that...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As the party was winding down, Teresa and I went onto the deck.

"I just checked with Headquarters." Teresa said. "We've got checkpoints at the County Lines, checking every drivers' license of every car going in or out of the County, but nothing on Trent Ridge, Quint Starr, or the rest of the rabble-rousers. The FBI has nothing, either. Muscone said he's requested Trent Ridge be put on the Ten Most Wanted list, but hasn't heard back from Washington on it."

I nodded. "Did you tell Todd about the threat?" I asked.

"Sure did." Teresa said. "BOW Enterprises is on heightened security, and the main building is all but on lockdown. Laura told me to bring our boys here tomorrow instead of BOW's daycare, and Todd sent an email to all parents suggesting they make other arrangements for their children until this crisis has subsided. Think that's too much?"

"No, it's just being safe." I said. "They're suspending the Eastside Elementary summer program for a week, too, as well as other kids programs and camps around the County. I'm hearing that the Media is really going to gin up the fear factor tomorrow morning."

"Wish we could do something to mitigate that." Teresa said.

"Oh, we might can do something about that." I said. And no matter how hard Teresa tried, she could not get me to tell her what it was ahead of time...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"That was one heck of a party." Laura said as she and I sat on the back deck of The Cabin in the darkness, side-by-side on the metal mesh loveseat, watching the twinkling lights of the Town in the valley below us. Everyone who was leaving had left.


"Yeah it was." I said. "We have a big family... and that's a good thing. I didn't have much of a family when I was growing up... that I knew of, anyway."

"I had no family at all, especially after my parents died." said Laura. "So yes, it's a very good thing, if a bit overwhelming." I could sense she wanted to talk about something, and there was no time like the present to coax it out of her.

"Sooooo," I said, "what did you want to talk about?"

Laura smiled a wan smile. "Not much gets past you, Darling." she said. "I know you were watching 'Grandma Griswold' as Carole and Marie were talking to her. She sometimes remembers things connected to Charlie. Sheriff Griswold told me she sometimes thinks he's Charlie. But overall, her symptoms are getting worse."

"And she's getting worse physically, as well." I said. "She put her weight on me and held tight when I was walking her to their car."

"Yes." said Laura. "I was also watching the girls. Marie seems to be holding up okay, but I told Stephane and Selena that Marie might wake up with nightmares, and to just hug her and comfort her back to sleep. But Carole..." She stopped.

"Acts like nothing happened at all." I said, finishing the sentence.

"Yes." said Laura. "And my specialty is not child psychology, but that's just... well, 'abnormal' is not the right word. But it's not ordinary."

"Well, she's been through worse, much worse." I said, remembering her being kidnapped and having a building blown up around her. (Author's note: 'Teresa's Christmas Finale', Ch. 01.) "And she handled this Trent Ridge incident very well. Gave her a lot of confidence, it did."

"Yes." said Laura. "It did. I might also suggest some genetics were involved."

"Well, she is the daughter of the most badass CIA Agent in the world, at least that I've ever known." I said jovially.

"Harumph." Laura said. "It's not me I'm talking about. Her father is absolutely devoid of fear, which sometimes scares me to death. And now..." She paused, then finished: "And now, it's like father, like daughter. Carole simply has no fear, just like you."

I could tell that Laura was not saying that as a compliment. But she was right. As the Iron Crowbar, fear was a luxury I could not afford. And I felt almost sorry to think that if Carole wanted to inherit the real red crowbar... she would have to be the same way.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Mmmmmm..." Teresa moaned as she slid her tongue up and down her husband's ten inch cockshaft, "you are really hard and throbbing tonight."

"That's because you have one hell of a hot mouth, babe." said Todd. He groaned as Teresa slid her mouth down his shaft and sucked hard as she deep-throated his meat.

After a moment of sucking him, Teresa came up for air and said "Your balls are really heavy, and tight, too. Is that because you haven't been able to drain them in Mariko's cunt every morning, since she's away in Japan?"

"I could say that," said Todd, "but you've been taking care of my needs... like a good wife--- AAH!" Teresa had lightly bitten his cockhead when he'd said that, more teasing him than punishing him.

"You wanted to take Laura up to bed and fuck her brains out, too." Teresa said. "I saw you watching her. You like banging her... don't you?" She was teasing him; he had not been watching or leering at Laura in any particular way. But she got the expected reaction: Todd's cock throbbed harder.

"Yeah, but mostly because she's Uncle Don's wife." said Todd with his trademark grin. "Good thing it doesn't bother him that I'm porking his wife, or he might beat the hell out of me with that crowbar of his... the red one, not the sorry little thing between his legs."

Teresa laughed. "I don't think Laura thinks Don's cock is 'sorry' nor 'little'. And I was told that she gets off watching him fuck other women as much or more than he gets off watching her."

1234
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Novels and Novellas
  • /
  • A Death in the Family Ch. 02

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 182 milliseconds