A God Called Bruce Pt. 05

I wanted to go straight over and investigate. Bruce held me back.

"There is no rush. We have at least six hours of daylight left," he declared. "Let's have a rest, have something to eat and drink and then we go and have a look."

I let him have his way. In no time Bruce and Marge had set up a table and chairs and the barbeque. While we were guzzling beer Bruce was making American spare ribs, a dish he served whenever he felt it was some sort of special occasion.

I asked Endora what she could tell us about the installation. She insisted she had no information, though she admitted knowing where we were and could see the building through the vehicle's cameras. I told the others what Endora had said.

As soon as I had finished my meal I could not sit there any longer. The others were still eating when I strolled over to the building and put my hand on the wall. If the building was an exact copy of the one on Olympus, I reasoned, maybe I could get inside by picturing the interior. The moment I did that I was inside.

It looked identical but seemed inactive. The lights were dim and the consoles had only small pilot lights glowing. The system appeared to be on standby. I ported out and went back to the table. I told the others what I had seen.

It was Darrin who spoke up.

"I think it's a hardware thing. Endora doesn't know of this place because it's on standby. I would lay a bet she'll know all about it once we switch it on and it's online."

"You could well be right, Darrin," I said. "What you told us makes a lot of sense. The problem is now how do we put it online without wrecking anything."

"If the place is identical to the substation on Olympus that won't be much of a problem," said Gadeirus.

"Why won't it be a problem?"

"I have the entire layout of the Olympus installation on file on my tablet together with my notes. I know how to control the thing on Olympus. If it's the same here, it'll be a walk in the park."

"What needs to happen next, Gadeirus?"

"First I have to make sure we have the same kind of installation in front of us and not a major variant. When we are as sure as we'll get, we go for broke and switch it on. Darrin and Algenon can give me a hand. It shouldn't take long."

"I'll stay out here with Kar and the girls," said Vulcan. "It'll get too crowded in there if we all go."

We had been inside no more than two minutes when Gadeirus threw a switch and the lights came on properly.

"That won't interfere with anything," he said. "At least I can see now what I'm doing."

Twenty minutes later Gadeirus declared he was ready to power up the system. I kept my fingers crossed when he threw the switch. I needn't have worried. All screens and terminals came alive at once and Endora's voice came over the speakers.

"Substation on line and fully functional. Full medical library online and accessible. I have informed Pandora."

We'd done it!

"Let's have a look what else we've got," said Bruce and called up the lift.

The downstairs area was identical to the one on Olympus except it was filled with machines we had not seen before. Bruce made straight for the lunch room. He gave us a beer each.

"I'll get the others, " he said and went back up.

When he returned with the group he and Marge carried a box with glasses and a case of Marge's prize Champagne.

"Happy days," he said. "Let's drink to victory and then we'll have a closer look."

"Before we get into the drink," I said, "I want to remind you that it has to stay a secret where we've been today. I don't want the people to be afraid they might be overrun by demons because we have been on taboo land. We will say that we have discovered the secrets of the Healers, but not where and how."

I repeated what I had just said in Bluetongue to make sure everyone understood. Suki and Kar agreed that this was the right thing to do.

"Good, then let's have some of that delicious Champagne."

After a couple of glasses the boys went exploring. I stayed behind with the girls. After half an hour Bruce came back grinning from ear to ear.

"This place is a carbon copy of the other one. It also has its own power spot."

"I take it you have tried it, Bruce?"

"Yep. Works fine."

"Good, we'll use that from now on. Bruce, can you stow any gear that's lying around outside and get Endora to take the vehicle home. We'll leave via the power spot."

"Good idea. Will do."

An hour later we were back in Bruce's yard. I had asked Panacea and her group to meet us there. Panacea laughed when she saw us in our Star trek uniforms and hexed herself and her sisters into uniforms as well. Marge brought out the Champagne.

Before we got into the drink I addressed the group. I repeated again that we could possibly have a panic on our hands if it became known where we had been and that we must keep that part secret, at least for now.

"As we discover what the Healers did to eradicate the disease," I said, "and as that knowledge becomes common, the idea of demons will die a natural death anyway. Panacea and her group and the technical boys have an awful lot of documentation to go through before anything else can happen. Perhaps it would be best if we stayed away from the newly discovered compound until we have a better idea what we're dealing with. As for the rest of us, we simply continue what we've been doing."

There was general agreement with what I'd said. We had a few drinks. Panacea suggested since we were all dolled up we should go to Shaggers for a proper party. Shaggers it was. I wasn't all that interested and ported home once the others were busy. To my surprise Marge turned up five minutes later.

"I don't feel like a party," she said and hexed our clothes off. "Let's go to bed."

"I thought you said you didn't feel like a party." I was confused.

"I don't," she insisted. "I feel very mushy tonight. I need a cuddle."

We fell asleep in each other's arms.


Chapter 51: Taming Devils

Nothing much happened over the next two weeks. Panacea's group and our technical boys did little more than study files. Gadeirus asked for a meeting of the core group. He also wanted Panacea and Meditrina to attend. We met at Bruce's place for breakfast.

After the meal Panacea took the floor.

"The Ancients reasoned that in the dark past of any species violence was the sole mechanism that ensured only the fittest survived. The only defence weaker creatures had against stronger ones was constant vigilance and flight. Vigilance required close observation of the environment for signs of danger. It was observation and correct evaluation of the observed that led to intelligence. The smartest survived better.

"Somehow these abilities were hard wired into the creatures, which allowed for them to be passed on to future generations. Environment, the Ancients decided, could only trigger or subdue these traits, the root causes were genetic. For us there is little new here, we have suspected this to be the case for some time.

"By analysing the genetic code of the most violent creatures they knew of they eventually identified the genes responsible. It took a long time. It took even longer to develop a technology which inactivated the genes responsible without affecting anything else. Since the changes were genetic, they were passed on to future generations. The ancients had in fact created a new species.

"Up to here the records are voluminous and precise. Then it gets cryptic and vague. There are a few references but any attempt to clarify with Endora what they mean has been fruitless. Meditrina thinks that Endora can't, or won't, provide access to those records.

"What we suspect is that the Ancients took several planets, cleared them of all land based predatory life forms, populated them with sentient beings and eventually treated them. We believe the Blue Planet and the planet of the deer to be the result of such experiments. We further believe that after they were sure there weren't any undesirable side effects they treated their own society. Eventually they discovered an entirely new realm which suited their new society better. That's when they emigrated."

"Wonderful news Panacea," I said. "How are we going with the machines?"

"I can answer that," said Gadeirus. "We've studied the blueprints and we think we know enough to put one of their gadgets together. We know where the machines are stored. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands of them. To store them conveniently their engineers took them apart to save space. We have identified all the bits we need and are ready to go.

"We've also found the place here where the machines were originally built. The equipment needed to test and calibrate the machines is still there. Darrin thinks we should assemble the device here where we have all the facilities. It's a huge area. They must have build these things a hundred at a time. It's even got its own power spot so we can port the things we need straight over."

"Good, let's go then. All of you have done a magnificent job. Marge, where's the Champagne?"

It turned into quite a session.

***

Darrin informed us at the next meeting that they had brought everything they needed and assembly could begin. We went to have a look after breakfast. The hangar was about the size of a sports stadium. At the far end, next to the power spot, were piles of curved panels and boxes and boxes full of gear.

"Cripes, How big is this thing?" I was astounded.

"Imagine a tunnel about thirty feet wide, twenty feet high and sixty feet long," said Darrin.

"Why so big?"

"They had to treat a lot of people if they wanted to clean up a whole planet. They herded the natives through the tunnels. That's all it takes. The machine does the rest. The length of the tunnel insures whoever is being treated is in there long enough for the device to do its work. You can process easily thousands in a day with this thing. It needed to be that big."

"This is dreadful," said Marge. "It needs a woman's touch. Vulcan, you stay here. You others go and have a drink. I'll call you when I'm done. For now I've got work to do."

No one argues with Marge when she gets like that. We went back to Bruce's place, Vulcan stayed behind.

Two hours later Vulcan joined us. He looked exhausted.

"I need a beer," he said. "You should see what this crazy chick is doing to the place."

We wanted to go and have a look, but Bruce stopped us.

"She'll call us when she's done," he said. "She'll get cranky if we go now."

An hour later Marge turned up. She grabbed a beer and said: "Just let me finish my beer, then I'll show you what I've done."

Marge had been redecorating alright. The hangar walls were obscured by trees, bushes and other greenery. Grass covered the floor. There was an area in the centre, paved with marble. The rest had become a magnificent garden with flower beds, low, neatly trimmed hedge rows, trees, statues, fountains ... the works. The roof was no longer visible, in its place was a blue firmament with an artificial sun providing the light. In one corner she had built a barbeque area with tables and chairs and a tent with a well stocked bar.

"This is where I want you to put the tunnel," said Marge pointing at the marble paved area. When it's done I'll put the final touches on it. It'll be great."

"It's wonderful," said Darrin. "I shall love working here. But why?"

"When the tunnel is functional we will presumable use it for treatment. I want this to be a joyous walk in a fitting place, not a walk into something that looks like an execution chamber."

"You've done well," said Bruce stepping up to Marge and hugging her. We could see how proud he was of her at that moment. "What this place needed was indeed a woman's touch ... your touch. Thank you."

He then turned to us and said: "Seeing it's lunchtime, how about we have some grilled trout? I went fishing with the kids yesterday and we caught some beauties. Let's try the new barbeque."

We did just that.

After the meal Gadeirus grabbed Vulcan, Darrin and Algenon and set them to work. The rest of us went back to what we had been doing before.

***

The boys took their time. They carefully tested and retested the components and made sure they complied with specifications. Only then would they add it to the growing structure. After two weeks they were satisfied the machine was finished. Marge finished her decoration by adding shrubs, climbers and flowers to the area surrounding the tunnel. It gave the device a more organic and friendly look.

It was Gadeirus who announced the completion of the device over breakfast at the site.

"We need to test it now," he said, "and that presents a bit of a problem. The Ancients tested it originally with ferocious wild animals. We don't know what to use."

"I'll fix that," said Bruce. "There is a creature in Australia called the Tasmanian Devil. About the size of a small dog, it's the world's largest surviving carnivorous marsupial. Because of its spine-chilling screeches, black colour, and legendary bad-temper, the early European settlers called it The Devil. They are asocial creatures, only coming together at mating time. No one has been able to befriend one. They do not show, or respond to, affection. If your device can turn one of these into a playful, affectionate pet it'll work on anything."

"That sounds like what we need. How do you want to go about it, Bruce?"

"I'll get about a dozen of them, keep them in small cages for three days and only give them water. By that time they'll be hungry and really cranky. We make sure they have to traverse the tunnel to get to food. Then we'll see."

We decided to do what Bruce had suggested. I went to see Zeus to tell him we were preparing for testing. He had been visiting us as Harry during construction so he was well briefed on our discoveries.

"I would like for you to be there when we test the thing," I said.

"Try keeping me away, I'm as curious as you are."

"Yes, but I want you to be there as Zeus, not as Harry."

"Any particular reason?"

"Yes. It's time they knew of your interest and involvement in our project. They need to know sooner or later anyway. I will tell them before you arrive."

"You are right, it is time."

I took my leave of Zeus and went home. Bruce had already caught the Devils. He kept them in small boxes in a separate room because of their smell and the noise they make. Two days later we were ready.

Our group was already there when I arrived, so were Hermes, Suki and Kar. Vulcan had built an enclosure on each end of the tunnel, one contained the boxes with the animals, the other food and water. The Devils were hungry and angry.

"By the Gods, they stink," said Darrin.

"They only make that smell when they're pissed off or frightened, when they're calm they don't smell," explained Bruce.

"Before we start," I said, "there is something I have to tell you. I have invited Zeus to witness this test. He'll be here shortly. He knows what we are doing, in fact he's seen most of it already. He has been with us on and off for weeks in the guise of Harry.

"Before you get angry with me, let me tell you why I've kept this from you. If you had known, you would not have him treated as an equal and he needed that experience. For the first time in his life he has been amongst friends instead of subjects. He loved every minute of it. Don't take that away from him. Treat him as you would treat Harry when he arrives."

There was a stunned silence. In the middle of that silence Zeus appeared.

Bruce was the first to regain his wits. He grabbed a beer, handed it to Zeus and said: "Welcome to the show, Harry. Have a beer."

That broke the ice. There was a lot of handshaking and kissing. Harry was back amongst his friends, even if he was Zeus. It had gone better than I had feared.

Bruce showed Zeus the cages with the enraged animals who were making a dreadful noise. He gave Vulcan a hand signal and Vulcan triggered the device that opened all the cages simultaneously. The Devils raced towards the food each one trying to get there first. Half way through the tunnel their mad rush slowed down and the screeching had stopped.

When they got to the food there were no fights, as there normally would have been. Each animal fed, totally unperturbed by the presence of the others. The smells dissipated, the animals were calm, their legendary belligerence no longer in evidence. Vulcan locked the enclosure so the animals could not get back into the tunnel.

As with most carnivores the after a big feed the Devils lay down to rest, only occasionally getting up to lap some water. We left them to it. Cameras were trained on the enclosure to record the interaction amongst the animals. It would show up how much their behaviour had changed.

"So far, so good," said Bruce."A bit early to tell, but I reckon it works."

I had expected a lot of awkwardness with Zeus present as himself, but everyone had followed Bruce's lead and called him Harry, as they had done for weeks. Zeus seemed to enjoy himself, joking and drinking with us as he had done before. He stayed for the evening meal and the party afterwards.

For the next week we observed the animals. Their nature had changed completely. They played with each other and with anyone who would visit them. They did not fight for food, nor did they screech or exude smells. Bruce decided we had seen enough and said he would take the animals back to Aussie.

"You are not going to put them back in the wild?" I was horrified. "They'd never survive there now."

"No. I know a guy in Tassie who's got an animal park. He's been trying for forty years to make friends with the buggers without success. He'll love them. Imagine a place where you can pat a Devil. He'll be rich and famous."

Bruce took them back the next day.

***

I was having a drink with Didi when Marge and Bruce turned up. Didi waited for his scratchies and then ran off into the trees.

"It is time we made a move," I said over drinks. "It's up to me to take the first step. I shall walk the tunnel day after tomorrow."

"Bruce and I will go with you" said Marge. Bruce nodded.

"No. Thanks for offering, but you cannot go with me."

"Why not?" I could see Bruce was offended.

"Look guys," I said, "we don't know what will happen. If something goes wrong and we all are in there there will be no one who can keep this project going. I need to go first. You and Marge can handle the project, even if I'm gone. We cannot let our people down."

"Why do you need to go first?"

"Meditrina once said I had to initiate personally each major step or it couldn't happen. She is right."

"Nothing will go wrong," said Bruce. "I'm not happy with it, but I accept your judgement. What do you want us to do."

I gave Bruce a list.

"Get these people and Gods together for day after tomorrow morning. Dress up occasion. Chitons everybody. I'll invite Zeus and his siblings myself. I'll start with Hera first. I need to go and get changed now. I don't want to turn up in shorts."

"Let me do that," said Marge and waved her hand. An instant later I was clean and wearing the clothes Hermes had given to me.

I took hold of Demeter's charm and asked to see Hera. Seconds later I stood in her atrium. She was not alone. The whole six pack was there.

I greeted everyone. Hera gave me some wine and bade me sit down.

"We were expecting you," said Zeus. "You have come to invite us, haven't you? For the big event day after tomorrow."

"The ways of the Gods are inscrutable to me. The decision was made not more than twenty minutes ago. I only told Bruce and Marge and came straight here. Pardon my confusion."

"We have known for days. It is a fated event. Our presence is required. We will attend."

Zeus waved his hand and I found myself back home, more confused than ever. No good asking for explanations, there won't be any. Events would unfold with or without me worrying about it.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 10 milliseconds