A Matter of Betrayal Ch. 02

"We started talking more after that night and I soon came to realize that I loved him. I'm sorry that I hurt you and I know I had always promised you that you would be my first, but when I started seeing Seth it felt so right. I realized that even though I do love you, Colin, I was never in love with you, not the way I am with Seth. I hope you can forgive me for what I did."

Colin was quiet for a moment taking the whole story in. Truthfully he was nonplussed, not knowing what to think. Finally he said, "I forgive you. I know now that what we had between us was more friendship than love. I wish you the best."

Sheryl smiled demurely. "Thank you Colin," she said.

"Just promise me that you will be careful with Seth, you don't know him like I do," Colin said.

"I think maybe you don't know him as well as you think you do," Sheryl said. "That's one of the reasons I wanted to have this talk with you when I felt you could handle it. I feel so bad about coming in between your friendship. You are the only one besides Seth who knows what happened that night. You're the first person I told."

"You never went to the police, or told your foster parents?" Colin asked.

"What good would going to the police have done? Nothing happened to me and I never got a good look at their faces. There would have been a big commotion over nothing. If my foster parents found out about it, they'd be worried sick every time I left home. I didn't want to put them through that after all they've done for me. I told you about this because I know I can trust you to keep it between us."

"You can trust me not to say anything, if that's what you want," Colin said. "As for Seth, don't worry about you coming between us, this was a long time coming. We were never friends," Colin said sharply. "At most we were...rivals."

"That's not true Colin! I know Seth can be a braggart at times, but that's just a façade he puts on to hide his insecurity. I know deep down he really feels bad about what happened between you guys, and he wishes you could be his friend again. Give him another chance."

"I don't know Sheryl, I'll have to think about it," Colin said.

Sheryl grasped Colin's hand for a moment and smiled, "I know you'll do the right thing," she said. With that she got up and left.

Colin sat alone at the table quietly digesting the entire conversation he just had. He held no enmity towards Sheryl, especially now. He'd be the first to admit that what they had before wasn't really love now that he had found the real thing. But Seth? Could he have been wrong about Seth? Could Seth have truly fallen in love with Sheryl and not just taken her away from him out of spite? Did Seth really think of him as a friend? Sheryl made a convincing argument for him, but after growing up together with Seth all these years he found what she said hard to accept. But confusion and doubt were setting in now as well. He would just have to mull it over in his mind for a while.

* * *

The rest of the day went by in a blur, less people remarked about his change in attitude because, while he no longer seemed depressed, he also no longer seemed obnoxiously happy. Colin kept brooding over how he should handle Seth. Also, his longing to be with Aileen kept increasing by the minute, he couldn't believe how much he missed her.

He had a study hall period in the afternoon. He tried to get as much homework done as he could during that time. Every time his mind started to wander, thinking about Aileen, thinking about Seth, he reprimanded himself. He told himself that the more homework he got done here, the less he would have to do at home and the more time he would have with his mother. That inspired him to keep his mind on his work. He had most of it completed by the end of study hall.

At the end of the school day Colin didn't go home, he went to the school's gym instead. School let out at two-thirty, but his mother wouldn't be home until after five. He knew he would need something to do to occupy his time before she came home, something physical.

When he played basketball, they held practice after school until four every day. Colin had quit the team a month ago mainly because Seth was on the team as well and at that time Colin was trying to do everything he could to limit his contact between Seth and Sheryl. He missed playing the sport and he was angry with himself for letting his feelings about Seth make him quit the team.

Colin went to talk to Coach Fletcher to see if it was possible for him to get back on the team. He found the head basketball coach for the Liberty High Eagles in his office. "Coach Fletcher?" Colin said as he gently tapped on the office door. "Could I talk with you for a minute?"

Even though Colin was six foot two in height and the coach was only around five foot ten, he was an imposing man, even when sitting behind his desk. The coach was a middle-aged black man. He always wore the same outfit: short sleeve button down white shirt, black slacks, and black tie. What made him so imposing was this look he could give you. He wore black horn-rimmed glasses and when he stared up at you over those glasses it could make even a marine think twice about confronting him. The coach was giving Colin that stare right now. After about thirty seconds and Colin didn't flinch, the coach slowly raised his hand and motioned him inside the office.

Once inside the office Colin figured he better say something, he knew the coach would do nothing but stare at him until he talked. "Um...Uh, I was wondering if there was still a position open for me on the team."

The coach continued to stare and when Colin felt a drop of sweat run down his neck the coach finally said simply, "You quit the team."

"Uh, yes sir, I know, and that was a bad decision on my part and that's why I was hoping I could rectify it." Colin said.

"You were first string. Do you know how many students would love to be on this team in any position, on any string? We're Liberty High son, we go to the finals every year and we've won State twice in the last five years. You were first string on this team and you quit."

"I know sir and I apologize for the situation I left you in, like I said I would like to make up for it..."

"Make up for it? You've missed six games; we lost three of those games. Can you get me those games back?"

"No sir, but the season is still young and if you can find it in your heart to give me another chance..."

"Find it in my heart? Son, I'm a basketball coach, we don't have hearts."

"But you have intelligence," Colin said trying a desperate gambit, "coaches are smart enough to make use of the players that will win for them."

"How will you win for me if you decide on a whim to up and quit on me again?"

"Well, sir, that's the chance I'm asking for. I know I messed up a good opportunity by quitting on you. You've taught me so much and I want to show you that you haven't wasted your time on me. I won't quit on you again. I've learned that quitting and hiding from life is no way to live it. If you give me that chance I promise you I will be your most dedicated player. As the cliché goes, I will give you one hundred and ten percent and that's no hyperbole."

"Hyperbole? You were always a wordy kid," the coach said.

"Yes sir and I was also a great player," Colin said.

The coach gave Colin "the stare" once more. Colin stood his ground. After about a minute the coach said, "Go suit up, practice is about to start."

"Yes sir!" Colin dashed out of the office and headed for the locker room.

Before he was out of earshot he heard the coach yell, "Martin! Don't take this to mean you're back on the team, I just want to see how rusty you've gotten over the last month without practice!" Colin smiled, all he needed was a chance and he knew he could prove he still belonged on the team.

On his way to the locker room Colin thought about how he never would have been able to stand his ground against the coach like that a month, or even two weeks ago. Even when Aileen wasn't with him in the flesh she was with him in spirit and he drew strength from her. This concept wasn't anything new to him, he knew he could accomplish anything with the love he had for her in his heart. This was just the most difficult confrontation he had had to face yet. It made him feel good to know she was there for him in so many ways. This was just another example of the power she gave him and he loved her for it. He had no idea what to expect when he got to the locker room, but he knew he was probably going to need to draw on her strength again.

* * *

Colin entered the locker room to see his former teammates dressing up for practice. The school colors were white and green. Half the players wore green uniforms outlined in white and the other half wore white uniforms outlined in green. They typically played a thirty minute scrimmage match at least once a week during a practice, usually on Mondays. The other practices would consist of Coach Fletcher going over various game strategies and fundamentals and have the team practice those. Today was Monday and the team was suiting up in their practice uniforms for a scrimmage.

Seth was the first one to spot Colin. He was wearing one of the green outlined in white uniforms. "Well, well, well, the prodigal quitter returns," Seth sneered. A couple of the guys laughed but most of the players looked at Colin with either surprise or indifference. Colin remembered the conversation he had with Sheryl so he decided he would try to give Seth the benefit of the doubt and take it easy on him.

"What can I say, I missed you guys," Colin said with a sheepish grin.

"So are you back on the team Col?" one of the players, Brian Chaplin, asked.

"If he is, I say we petition the coach to cut him," Seth said. "Who wants a quitter on their team?"

"I know I sure don't," said Ricky Woods, one of Seth's perennial lackeys. There were murmurs of agreement from some of the other players.

Colin went over to the equipment room and pulled out a practice uniform, one of the white with green outline uniforms. "All coach said was I could come and practice with you guys today and see if I still had my skills."

"Coach must be getting soft," Seth said, "who's he gonna let play with us next, the computer geeks? Why don't you just go home Martin you're not wanted here."

"Afraid of a little challenge Seth?" Colin said. Taking it easy on Seth was one thing but he wasn't going to let Seth walk all over him. He knew Seth could never back down from a challenge, especially from him.

"Get your gear on and get out on court and we'll see who's afraid." Seth growled. As he left the locker room he intentionally slammed his shoulder into Colin's.

* * *

Colin quickly got suited up and was out on the basketball court just as the last of the team were making their way there.

Coach Fletcher had the team do warm up drills. He usually had them do twenty minutes of various drills like the Focus Drill, Coburg Weave, and the Shoot-Box-Board-Outlet. After they were warmed up he had the team divide in half, the green shirts against the white shirts.

He called five players from each team to the floor to take their positions. Seth was out among the first five called on his team, but the coach kept Colin on the bench. Coach Sullivan, the assistant coach, was standing in the middle of the court holding a basketball. When Coach Fletcher blew his whistle, Coach Sullivan threw the basketball in the air and the game was on.

Coach Fletcher moved all over the court shouting at players when they did something wrong and pointing it out to the whole team when somebody did something right. In the first ten minutes the green team was up 14 to 6, Jim Hayden, one of the white shirts wasn't having a good game, Coach Fletcher benched him and then told Colin to go in and see what he could do. Colin was confused for a moment, Jim's position was small forward, Colin always played center, but then Colin realized the coach must be testing him, to see how committed he really was to be back on the team. Colin hopped off the bench and took the position of small forward. The greens had the ball. Seth was playing point guard and Colin happened to end up guarding him.

"What were you and Sheryl talking about today," Seth said breathing heavily as he dribbled the ball.

"She just wanted to make sure everything was cool between us," Colin said blocking Seth from making a shot. "She said some good things about you."

"I'm sure she did," Seth grinned, "you know she is an awesome fuck...oh wait...you wouldn't know that!" Seth chuckled. Colin was temporarily taken aback by the comment, although he should have expected it coming from Seth. This distracted Colin and led to him being a bit slower on the move with what happened next.

Seth passed the ball to Ricky who was playing center for the greens. Colin took his eyes off of Seth to follow the ball, but Ricky passed it right back to Seth. Before Colin knew it Seth had charged into him, his elbow hitting him directly in the nose. Colin went down and Seth went on to score another two points for the greens but Coach Sullivan blew his whistle indicating Seth had committed a foul and the points didn't count.

Colin stood up and felt his nose running, he wiped it on the back of his hand and it came away red with blood. Coach Sullivan handed him a towel and looked at his nose moving it back and forth a little. Colin winced but it didn't hurt too bad. "Well, your nose isn't broke at least," Coach Sullivan said. "Go get some ice on that and take a seat Martin. Reilly, you're benched." Seth smirked as he made his way to the bench. Another player, Blu Anderson, took the point guard position for the greens.

Same old fucking Seth! I should have known better! Colin thought angrily as he carelessly wiped the blood off his face with the towel then tossed it aside. Let Sheryl think what she wants about him, I don't owe her anything and I know Seth for the asshole he really is! "Coach, I'm not hurt that bad, I'd like to stay in the game," Colin said. Both Colin and Coach Sullivan looked over to Coach Fletcher.

Coach Fletcher stood still with his hands on his hips and there was that stare again. Colin stared back. His attitude was deferential towards the coach but he didn't break eye contact. He had gotten the impression after that conversation in his office that Coach Fletcher respected a person who didn't shrink from one of his stares. After a few seconds that seemed to last hours, Coach Fletcher gave a barely perceptible nod.

"Ok Martin," said Coach Sullivan, "you stay in. You get to take the free throws then." The smirk on Seth's face vanished to be replaced by an expression of anger. Colin had two free shots because of the foul. He moved his head from side to side to stretch his neck and then took his position at the free throw line in front of the net. Colin made both shots for two points.

The players got into position for the game to resume. The whistle blew and Coach Sullivan tossed the ball in the air. The score was 14 to 8 now. Colin moved about the court guarding either the point guard or the power forward when they had the ball. Colin made some deft moves and was able to steal the ball away from Blu. He dribbled the ball down the court and made a basket. Tedd Silvers was the point guard for the whites and when their team was on offense, he was being heavily pressured. However, Colin was able to get him out of trouble by handling the ball, dribbling it down the court, and passing it back and forth between his teammates when he ran into obstacles. He quickly scored three baskets in this fashion while the greens scored only one bringing the score to 16 to 14.

By this time, Tedd was clearly having trouble keeping the team in check and it was only Colin's playing that had kept them in the game. Coach Fletcher blew the whistle signaling a time out. He sent Tedd to the bench. "Martin, take over point guard," the coach said then he sent in Brian Chaplin to take Colin's place as small forward. Point guard is arguably the most difficult position to play. You have to have your mind in several places at once. You have to direct the offence as well as recognize and respond to what defense the opposing team is using. Much like a quarterback in football, the point guard must be the most aware of all elements of the game. Because of that, he also stands to gain substantial glory if his team succeeds. Hence this is most likely why Seth covets the position.

Colin had practiced playing the position before and it wasn't his favorite. He just made himself stay calm and direct the team where he felt they needed to be. With his leadership, his team was able to tie the game at 20 to 20. Seth was allowed back in the game now and was at his position. As Colin looked around at the players on the court he realized that the greens were all first string players while the whites were all second and third string players, except for Colin who technically wasn't on any string at the moment because he wasn't officially back on the team yet.

Colin seemed to feel his team gel around him. It was as if the second and third stringers knew this was an opportunity to show the coach their value and they accepted Colin's leadership to make them all look good. Meanwhile the first stringers on the green team were showing their vexation at being routed. Colin led his team down the court to make three more baskets and when the other team tried to come back he formed up a solid defense to hold them at bay.

Towards the end of the game Colin was dribbling the ball down the court and saw Seth come charging at him to strip the ball from him. At the last second Colin turned to the side and made a quick pass to Brian then braced himself. Seth couldn't stop his momentum and slammed right into Colin's shoulder and arm. Colin's feet stayed planted on the ground but Seth ricocheted off Colin and fell to the floor landing hard on his ass. Brian went on to make a basket. Seth got up and Colin could see how hard he was trying to walk like he wasn't hurt.

Seth was looking for a flagrant foul to be called but Coach Sullivan didn't call one. He said there was no foul because Seth couldn't control where he was going and all Colin did was stay on his feet. Seth was irate.

When Coach Fletcher blew his whistle to signify the end of the game the final score was Greens: 24, Whites: 30. Colin's teammates shouted gleefully and all the white shirts slapped him on the back or told him "good job" for leading them to the win. Seth was fuming. Colin restrained himself from looking too smug, but it felt good to beat Seth.

Coach Fletcher gathered the team around for his usual after practice brief lecture. "We had an interesting practice today," he began. "I think we learned the value in that no lead can not be overtaken. So if we are winning we need to stay winning, if we are losing we can't give up. The main point is you have to play a full four periods, at no time during a game do you let up thinking you have it won or give up thinking you have lost.

"White team: good job on your win today. Green team: think about what caused you to lose. Mr. Martin, you showed excellent playing and team leadership abilities. If you play that well against Saint Mathew's Wednesday night I have no doubt we will hand them a decisive defeat. Welcome back Mr. Martin."

Colin nodded his head to the coach in thanks while undergoing another round of back slapping from the players on the white team. Some of the other Eagles from the green team also came over to welcome Colin back and to praise him for his team's victory. However, Seth and the group of players around him just stared fiery gazes his way. Colin kept a blank expression on his face when he looked at them, but he had to admit to himself, it felt good to get under Seth's skin for a change. It was worth an elbow to the nose.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 19 milliseconds