A Monster Life Ch. 13-15

'As long as regular folk don't try to rob us or assault you girls, they won't have to worry.'

'Or any women trying to assault you.' said Iphigenia and grinned.

***

The few other folk on the road stared at them but didn't bother them and they reached a small city some time later. There was no wall around the diverse stone and lime walled houses but there was a guard post at the road leading in. As they expected, the guards stopped them and a grey furred broad faced and short muzzled fat canine stepped up to them with a firm grip on his sword handle. Ulric tried not to imagine him as an overgrown grumpy lap dog. 'What are an armed human and elf doing here?'

'They are my master's slaves.' Kaui said as they had agreed before. 'They're trained to protect him.'

The guard looked at the shadow of Ulric's hood and cold shivers ran down his back. His eyes quickly settled on Kaui. 'What's with him?'

'My master's not from around here and doesn't speak the language. They don't have the right voice for it so I'm his translator.'

'Are you a slave too?'

Kaui nodded.

'You're supposed to wear slave identification.'

Kaui nodded again. 'We've only recently arrived and need to resupply as well.'

The guard glanced at Ulric. 'Don't create any trouble here.' he said and stepped back.

'We won't.' Kaui said while the tension in her shoulders lessened. 'We plan on taking up a quest or two while we're here. To help out.'

He nodded and waved for them to go on.

'Well done.' said Ulric. 'You're our saviour once again.'

She blushed and smiled a little.

Although the four received curious stares from the beastfolk going about their business, they passed unhindered through the streets on their search for a place to stay. Kaui hailed a young girl sitting on a bench and gazing at them. 'Hello, can you tell us where we could find a place to stay?'

The girl with red-brown curls stuck out her arm and pointed at one street. 'There's a large inn a little further but my dad says they're expensive and cheat on your bill. The inn that way is run by a strange lady but she's really nice.'

Kaui smiled at her. 'Thank you.' she said and went back to the others. 'Kids are usually more honest when it comes to finding a place you need.'

They walked further along the streets until they saw a sign of a fist and a knife hanging outside a large house with a wide front door. 'This is it?' Ulric asked.

'It seems so.' Kaui said. 'What does your nose tell you?'

'I do smell lots of food and drinks and many different odours I think are beastfolk but the sign doesn't look very welcoming.'

Iphigenia stepped up to the door. 'Only one way to be sure.'

Inside were several tables with benches and stools and a counter at the side in front of stairs leading up. The place was empty but sounds came from what had to be the kitchen in the back and the four stepped further inside. 'Hello?' said Kaui.

A clutter of quickly dropped utensils on a table was followed by some shuffling and a big canine woman with sleek white muzzle and a large bosom that nearly popped out of her corset came out the door. She halted for a moment at the sight of the four, then moved up close to Ulric and frowned at him with her fists in her sides. Her penetrating gaze didn't falter and he was unsure of what to do. Kaui cleared her throat. 'Ehm, we were just wondering if this was the inn we had been suggested to find.'

The woman didn't break her gaze. 'And I'm wondering if this fellow knows how to be polite in front of a lady.'

'Ah! Ehmm, my master's appearance might not be pleasant to see-'

'And I might not be pleasant if I don't know who's coming in here.'

Ulric pulled his hood back. The woman kept her intense stare into his eyes and Kaui prepared for a ruckus. The woman laughed and slapped Ulric's shoulder hard. 'That's better!'

Kaui let out a sigh of relief and the others relaxed.

The woman grinned at them. 'Thought I was going to throw you out because of a minor thing like that? I've seen scarier things crawling in the back of my cellar.'

'It's also because of your sign that we weren't sure what this place is.' Kaui said.

The woman looked puzzled. 'Isn't it clear that you can get a solid meal here?'

'Ohh..' said Kaui as it dawned on her. 'I see now.'

The woman slapped Ulric's shoulder again. 'Come, sit down. I take it you were in need of a bite then.'

Kaui nodded. 'And a room to stay for a little while. If you don't mind us.'

The woman looked back at Iphigenia and Elzbieta as she led them to a table near the kitchen. 'Why would I mind? It's nice to see three of you again, especially this pretty.' she said and the three girls blushed a little while Ulric smiled. 'I like her already.' he said.

'Again?' asked Kaui.

The woman nodded. 'It's rare, but humans and elves have been here before. As slaves to others to mine or your kind, of course. Orcs have been staying here more.' she said while the four sat down. 'You don't seem to be slaves though.'

'How so?'

'Never seen slaves sit with their master before.'

Kaui glanced at Iphigenia and Elzbieta. 'Oh, but we are. It's just that our master's very nice to us.'

The woman watched Iphigenia and Elzbieta sit close to Ulric and smiled. 'I think I get how nice.' Kaui blushed and she laughed again. 'Welcome to Monna's Inn. I'm Monna.'

Kaui introduced everyone and Monna went to fetch drinks and meals. While they enjoyed their meal Ulric asked Kaui to arrange the room and directions to where they can find quests. 'We have a small guild office at the market square.' Monna said. 'You'll find all sorts of requests there because it's pretty peaceful here and we're rarely in need of tough tasks like hunting wild monsters. You'd better go further into the country if you want those.'

Kaui shook her head. 'We're just travelling around and need to make some money to cover expenses.

Monna nodded. 'You should be fine then. There's still plenty to do because most young folk leave this town in search of fame and fortune.'

Ulric looked at Kaui. 'How are we on money right now?'

'Enough to last us a little while. The bandits had more on them than they appeared to have.'

He nodded. 'Good. Can you ask her for one more thing?'

'Sure.'

'Can she recommend a good tailor?'

Monna smiled. 'If you want a good one that's not too expensive, I have a friend who's a tailor.' she said and spread her skirt a little and pulled at the hem of her corset at her bosom. 'He made this for me and it hasn't ripped like other dresses did before for some reason.'

"I think that actually happened for two big reasons." Ulric thought as he looked at her tightly held furry hills.

She smiled at Ulric. 'I'm sure he can make something that'll last on you.'

Ulric nodded and smiled.

*

*Thanks for reading and voting and commenting, it's what keeps me writing.

And see my bio for how to keep up with all the stories and drawings I'm working on.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 36 milliseconds