• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Non-Erotic
  • /
  • A New Life

A New Life

All Characters are to be viewed as over the age of eighteen.

Copyright 2008 by madengineer3, All rights are reserved! This story is not to be copied or circulated except by madengineer3 or by means of the Literotica website, and under Literotica's rules.

*

Despair, utter, complete loneliness and despair; that is all I had. I was just about at the point of killing myself. All that I wanted and cared for were gone. It wasn't until much later that I realized that God's hand was in it. I needed to hit the bottom before I could look up.

Let me tell you about myself. My name is Gloria, I'm now forty years old. I was born into a single parent family in 1968. My mom was single and had bought into the "Hippie Culture" big time. Free sex, free drugs, peace, love, joy, and total irresponsibility. When I was very young this was a cool sort of deal. We didn't have to wear clothes around home, unless we started to feel cold. It made no difference if we had company or not; at first. If felt neat to sit on a friends lap and have them kiss me all over. That's how I thought love was shown. Then I entered puberty. I ripened quickly. By eighteen I was wearing "C" cup bras, for support. That's when I became very popular. Women, or men, would lick my pussy and suck on my breasts. It felt good. Then the forced cock sucking and the rapes started. Whether or not I wanted to any male friends of my mom could, and would, penetrate me for "fun".

It wasn't too bad until I was forced into my first abortion. After that, and the fear of them doing it to me again, I ran away. What does an uneducated eighteen year old do to survive? Well, it's called the world's oldest profession. Other than crooked politicians it can be one of the lowest forms of work. I became a prostitute. I found that if I rewarded the local cops by giving them head occasionally I could keep from getting arrested. I tried to be careful who I rented myself out to, but the need for food and a place to sleep helps you lower your standards quickly.

After about twenty years of sex, cheap booze, and weed I was about physically shot. My face was lined and my eyes almost seemed dead. I tried to get help from some of the local charities, but most of them turned their backs on me. Fortunately, I had avoided getting a pimp.

I finally went and talked to Mary, a woman at the Salvation Army. She told me that God loved me, and gave me a good meal and a place to sleep, if I was willing to sit through a chapel service. I took her up on that. But, in the morning I still faced the same problems. She took me aside and we talked for a long time. By the end of the conversation I realized exactly what kind of mess I was in. I hadn't had a real education because our little commune didn't teach anything except the pure liberal doctrine of peace, love, and brotherhood. I was not qualified for any job, except prostitution. I was no longer pretty enough to attract men, except for the absolute derelict dregs of humanity. Life seemed to be all but over. As I was sobbing, an older man came into the room to talk to Mary, I just sat there.

"Hello Mary, is this a bad time?"

"Well Jim, that's both a yes and a no. We were in the middle of a long discussion but had reached a bit of a brick wall as you came in. What did you want?"

"I just was in the area and wanted to save the price of a stamp. Here's this month's donation." He handed her a sealed letter. Then he continued; "Is there anything I can do to help?"

At that point, my anger and lostness took over; "Yeah, someone can help me die so that all this pain goes away!"

Mary looked at me with a sad expression and said: "She feels that she is at the end of her rope and is beginning to think about letting go of it and ending all her problems."

"The man looked at me and gently asked: "What is your name?"

Most men never really wanted to know my name. It didn't matter with what they had in mind.

Mary spoke up: "Gloria, this is Jim. He is a good and kind man who, as far as I know, has never intentionally hurt anyone. It would be safe to answer him."

"My name is Gloria, why do you ask?"

"This is going to sound crazy to you but Mary will understand. I feel the Lord leading me to see if I can help you. I, and, I'm sure, my wife would like to help you if you were interested. We have a spare room you could use until things get better."

I looked at him as if he were either crazy or dangerous. "Nobody does anything that they don't get paid for. What's in it for you?"

Jim smiled and replied: "The only restrictions will be that we don't drink alcohol on a regular basis, we don't smoke, do drugs, or use the Lord's Name in vain.. Other than that there aren't any limitations."

I looked at Mary, who was smiling and nodding her head yes. "Gloria, I have known Jim and his wife Sharon for many years. They are good people, and their word is good. If they say they will do something, they mean it! You would be safe with them."

I didn't know what to say. I was confused. Nobody does anything without expecting things in return, do they? But, in the back of my mind a small voice was saying, "give it a try. After all, if you can get help you might become happy again".

I nodded my head yes and hear myself saying "Thank you, I'll take you up on your offer."

Jim took out his cell phone and made a short call.

The next hour seemed like a blur. I had all my possessions in a couple of old plastic bags and we walked half a block to a nice car. It wasn't new, but it was clean and looked well cared for. Then something strange happened, Jim opened the door for me! I've never had a person open a car door for me before.

"Why did you do that?"

"Do what, Mary?"

"You opened the car door for me."

"When I was growing up I was taught to open the door for ladies."

"Who said I was a lady?"

"Well, my dad always told me that any woman was a lady until she definitely proved otherwise. That means that you have to be treated as a lady, regardless of your circumstances. Is that O.K. with you?"

Through sudden tears I nodded yes.

It was about three quarters of an hour of driving before we pulled into the driveway of an old, but well kept farm house. During the drive Jim told me he was a doctor, an MD. As soon as we stopped, Jim got out, walked around the car, and opened the door for me. He helped me out and we walked to the back door of the house. It was a late fall afternoon and as we walked into the back entryway into the kitchen. A pretty auburn haired woman was inside the door wearing a big smile.

Jim's wife said: "Welcome to our home, Gloria. I'm Janet. I'll show you to your room and when you are ready we'll have dinner."

She led me to a beautiful room on the second floor. It had beautiful wallpaper, a classic four poster bed, and actually had an attached bathroom. She pointed out that there was a good lock on the inside of the door. One of those heavy slide bolt locks that look stronger than the wood they are attached to. She must have caught me looking at it.

"Oh, that, sometimes a guest feels vulnerable until they get to know us. That lock cannot be opened from the outside. Oh, and thinking about that.." She walked over to the window. This knotted rope attached to the ring in the floor is the emergency fire escape for this room. If something were to go wrong, you open the window, throw out the rope and it will take you safely to the ground. We have a pre-arranged meeting place in the garage. We keep some basic foods, a small camp stove, blankets, first aid kit and such out there. We've never needed it, but we like to be prepared just in case."

She then led me over to a closet. "These dresses and robes are not the latest style, and the undies in the chest of drawers aren't the fanciest but they are all clean and whole. You can use any of them you wish. There is a laundry shoot in the bathroom. Any dirty clothes that will need washing can just be tossed in there and they will go through our normal wash. Can you think of anything else you need right now?"

"No, but I have a question. Why are you doing this?"

"The answer may not make sense to you yet. We are doing this because we know that our Lord would have us do this. We are ordered to help those in need, and we try to. After all, all people are really in just one of two classes; un-forgiven and forgiven. Around here we treat everyone as well as we would like to be treated."

She left the room. I locked the door, picked out some underwear that I thought would fit, and got into a wonderful tub of hot bath water. I must have lost track of the time. But when I got out, having washed every inch of me, I was feeling better than I had in the last twenty years. I put on the undies, found a dress that fit me, and put on a pair of comfortable slippers that also fit me. Finally, I opened the door and walked down stairs. As I did so, I could smell fresh bread and the smell of a wonderful stew or soup.

"Ah, there you are Gloria. Are you feeling a bit better now?"

"Yes, thank you Janet. Can I do anything to help?"

"No, the table is already set. I just have to move the soup and bread to the table. Oh, do you prefer coffee, tea, milk, or soda?"

"I haven't had milk for quite a while. I'd like some of that."

"Good enough. Let's get to the table."

When we all got to the table Jim had us all hold hands, Jim and Janet bowed their heads and said: "Dear Heavenly Father, we ask your blessing on this meal for both those who made it and those who will partake of it. Be our unseen guest, in Jesus Name."

The meal was wonderful. The soup was beef and barley and the home made bread was incredible. I had never before tasted real fresh home made bread.

After the meal Jim spoke up. "Gloria, I have to assume that you have not been to a doctor for a physical in a long time. I have a colleague, a woman, who is an OB/GYN. With your permission I will make an appointment for you to have a complete physical. I also have another friend, from church, who is an excellent dentist. I would like to get you in to see him so we can have anything fixed that needs fixing. In all of this, there will be no cost to you. After all, you are our guest."

***********************

The next months and then years led me to learn to read well, do simple math well, and learn a lot about history, and science. One of the early things that I found to be strange was that both Jim and Janet read their Bibles every day. They also said grace before every meal.

Over time, we had talked about the fact that "religion" wasn't where it was "at". What was important was an actual relationship with God. The thing that took me totally off balance was the fact that they said that in their faith it wasn't a matter of what you did to earn God's favor, it was what He had done (as a free gift) to provide fellowship with Himself. This was all new to me. Never before had I thought that God could love me! I couldn't even love myself. As I became more used to "polite society" I felt the need to socialize with other people of my age. When I mentioned this to Janet. She smiled broadly and said, "we have been wondering when you would feel up to outside activities. We have two outstanding places we think you will enjoy. You've been to church with us almost every week. There is a "single's club" that is only open to those who are not married. They do things like progressive dinners, holding dances, making trips to events around the area, and so forth. There is also a singles group called SALSA that is run by our local Christian Radio Network. Both of these groups are free! All you need is interest in going."

It was the following week that I went to the singles club at church. There were groups of people milling around, talking or sitting at tables playing cards or board games. I felt a bit like a fish out of water. That was when I met Mark. His face was scarred as the result of a wound suffered in Iraq. He also was missing three fingers on one hand.

To me, he stood out. He was physically at the club, but from the look on his face he was far, far away in his thoughts. I walked over and broke in on his train of thought.

"Hi, my name is Gloria, would you mind if I sat over here with you? I need to just sit and find someone to talk with for a while."

He turned to look at me and smiled. "Gloria, I'm Mark. I'm always happy to talk with a very pretty woman. I've seen you in church, but I don't think I've seen you here before."

"No, I'm new to this group. I don't know most of these people, other than to recognize them from church. What are the main things that the group does?"

"Well, we have nights where we just talk and play games, and then we have nights or days with special trips or programs. It provides some company for those of us who are alone."

His voice had become much quieter when he spoke of being alone. I decided to break the ice. "What do you do?"

"I'm an X-ray technician at the hospital."

"Do you find that to be interesting work?"

"Usually, yes; sometimes though it is rough when someone who has been badly hurt comes in and needs X-rays to see which bones they have broken. That can get rough, because they usually haven't been given pain killers yet."

"Why wouldn't they have been given pain killers?"

"It's hard to tell if they have suffered a concussion, or such, if they have been given narcotics. The risks are too great to dope them up until brain damage is ruled out."

"What led you to become an X-ray tech?"

"Well, I had always enjoyed science and then I was made a medic in the service. I got to see the damage that war can bring. It's hard to see people broken up like you see during and after a battle. I really suffered as I had to treat poor little kids who had simply been in the wrong place at the wrong time."

I decided to push my luck: "Was the war worth it?"

"Yes, when you see the faces of mothers and daughters who can now go to school for the first time. When you see the smiles when women and men who can vote in a free election for the first time. When you can see some Sunnis and Shias helping each other. We are paying a high price for what we are doing, but we lost more men in some single months, back in WW II, than we have lost in this entire war. The face of someone who has just been set free from a police state dictatorship that enjoys torture is hard to describe."

"You seem to have paid a high price for their freedom."

"Don't you ever forget, freedom is never free! There is always a price that must be paid."

"Is that where you picked up your injuries?"

"Yes."

"Where do you live?"

"I live in a small apartment near the hospital. Since this is a somewhat rural area there aren't many X-ray techs around. Since I am usually on call, when I am off duty it is nice to be able to walk around the block to get to the hospital. Where do you live?"

"Do you know Jim and Janet?"

"Yes, they are fine people. They're quiet, but they truly love God. At one time, just after leaving the service, I stayed at their house for a while."

"I'm currently their guest."

"That must put us in about the same boat. We're both trying to pick up the pieces of our lives. It's been fifteen years since I left their house and set up my own place. They really helped me out of severe depressing and loneliness. I don't know where I would be if I hadn't met them."

"Where did you meet them?"

"I had stopped by the Salvation Army barracks for a warm meal and mental support. Jim was there one morning while I was talking to one of the councilors and Jim came over to see how I was. The next thing I knew I was on my way to his house. They helped me to get the emotional and spiritual help I needed, and they paid for me to go through X-ray tech school. They saved me from a destructive downward spiral that could only have ended in death."

We were silent for a moment or two.

"You have just told me my story. That is also how I met them. They are incredible people."

"Gloria, do you like Italian food?"

"Yes, I love it."

"Would you join me for dinner next Saturday night? There is a small, but good, Italian restaurant near the hospital that I enjoy. I'd love to treat you."

"Are you sure? You don't know me, and might not like me if you did."

"Yes, anyone who has been with Jim and Janet for a year or two has to be a relatively nice person. Their personalities seem to rub off on people."

The Italian food was wonderful, as I think back a year and a half ago. Mark and I have become very close. He is such a good man. He is nothing like any other man I have ever met, except for Jim and many of the other men at church. We have a date tonight, but he wants to surprise me with where we will be eating.

Three hours later, we are sitting in a very nice restaurant in a small city, about twenty miles away from Jim and Janet's house. We have just finished a truly spectacular meal and are enjoying cheese cake and a good cup of coffee.

"Gloria, do you have any idea why I wanted to come to this restaurant?"

"No, but I like it very much."

"Well, in my family it is traditional to have a wonderful meal before 'popping the question'."

"What? You can't be serious, can you?" I could hope, but that was almost beyond my imagination based upon what I had been during most of my life.

"Yes, I would like to marry you. Would you have me?"

At this point he took out a small ring box and showed me a beautiful little diamond set in a gold band.

I started to cry.

"What's wrong, Gloria? Have I said, or done,. something wrong?"

"No, Mark, you are wonderful. It's just that you don't know my background. You don't know what my life was like before I met Jim and Janet. Once you find out, you probably won't want to speak with me, much less marry me."

"Gloria, there is noting that you could tell me that would stop me from wanting to have you as my wife. I also have some things in my past that you don't know about. For example, the bomb that did this damage to me also castrated me. I can't ever give you kids. Can you live with my problem?"

"Yes, I can. But can you live with the fact that I lived most of my early life as a prostitute? I'm an ex-hooker Mark! That has to turn you off!"

"Gloria, I ask you again, will you marry me? Whatever you might have been in the past, you are a lovely lady as far as I am concerned. Please, marry me."

All I could say, through the tears, was "yes, I'd love to".

That was ten years ago. We are now very happily married. We also have become volunteer counselors at the Salvation Army that was instrumental in helping to save our lives. I have earned my RN and a bachelor's degree. We work in the same hospital, and have gotten assigned to the same shifts. I suspect that Jim had something to do with arranging that. When I first heard that the Apostle Paul said: "Therefore, if any one is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has passed away, behold the new has come" I used to laugh. I now know that it is true! I now have a new life, a new love, and an endless future, thanks to God. The best part is that this is open to all who want it, regardless of the mess they have made of their lives.

  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Non-Erotic
  • /
  • A New Life

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 529 milliseconds