A Shepherd Afield Pt. 05

Tina busied herself in the kitchen making breakfast for Ben, Lucy, and Gretchen. She could faintly hear Ben in the basement as he worked out on the exercise machine. She was so glad he was feeling better this morning. He'd had a bit of a rough night even with her and Lucy cuddling up to him.

She was also so grateful for Catherine's father coming to Ben's rescue last night. She had been so frightened when Ben reacted badly to the news of the man's death. Catherine had known what to do and sent her father in to talk to him when he just... froze on them. He wouldn't respond to their voices at all but Mr. McGovern just had to say one word and Ben was back. They'd talked for a long time as the rest of the party went downstairs to run through the ceremony for this afternoon. Catherine assured everyone that her father knew what he was doing as he'd done it before.

Jayden had been so upset he'd mentioned the fight to Ben as he said that seemed to have started everything. They assured him he had nothing to apologize for. They gave Hannah hugs as she felt bad too.

When the group was almost finished the rehearsal Jack and Ben joined them and they were quickly shown what was expected of them. They both felt they would have no problems with their duties. Ben announced then that he was going home and got kisses and hugs from everyone. He hugged Jayden and the young man had tears in his eyes but a smile on his face when they left. Ben carried Christopher home in his arms and seemed to take great comfort from doing that.

When they'd gotten inside Ben looked to Tina and smiled. "I'm not him," he'd said quietly as he gently passed her yawning son into Lucy's arms.

Tina didn't know who 'he' was but intuitively knew Ben needed her to acknowledge this significant fact. She rushed forward to hug Ben. She'd felt him relax in her arms and once more offered a silent thanks to Catherine's father in her mind. She would try to get the story from him or Hannah if Ben couldn't tell her.

This morning Tina was so relieved to be able to move around without the cast and she barely needed to use the cane. In the kitchen she had the counters to lean on. Making a meal for her family felt so good!

Ben walked into the kitchen and she smiled appreciatively as she eyed his glistening muscles which looked so big after he worked out. He walked over and bent down to give her a kiss. She felt the heat radiating from his body and a tingle shot through her. His kiss was sweet and she smiled up at him.

"Breakfast is almost ready. Go get cleaned up and dressed. And wake Lucy lazy bones if she is still asleep!" she grinned.

Ben smiled and made his way down the hall. He heard noises from Gretchen's room so he knocked. Moments later she opened the door and her eyes flew wide as she looked at his sweaty muscles.

"Good morning!" he said and glanced over her shoulder to the paused video on the screen of her new computer. She was watching a tutorial for her drawing application. He smiled in satisfaction.

"Good morning Ben! Why are you all... shiny?" she said with a pleased look as her eyes roamed over his chest.

"I just worked out. Are you ready for breakfast? Tina said it's almost ready."

She didn't appear to be listening as she reached out and ran a fingertip over his chest.

"Ah ah, Tina didn't say there was time for that!" he said and moved back.

She grinned at him as he moved into the master bedroom.

Lucy was still sleeping as Tina had suspected. He pulled the blanket gently back to expose her head and kissed her cheek. She stirred and opened one eye.

"Mmmm, that's a nice sight for sleepy eyes," she murmured.

"Tina made breakfast."

Lucy frowned and shook her head. She wasn't up to it.

"I'll let her know," he said and put the blanket back over her head.

He took his shower and pulled on a t-shirt, socks, and some track pants. They were just going to relax around the house until they had to attend the wedding in the late afternoon.

When he got to the kitchen Gretchen was sitting at the table with Christopher on her knee. He was talking to her a mile a minute and she was smiling as she tried to make heads or tails of what he was saying. Ben dipped down and kissed his cheek and he squealed happily.

"DADA!" Arms were raised as he wanted to be picked up. Ben scooped him up and flew him in a circle before sitting down and seating the boy on his lap. He hugged the child and for just a moment the boy hugged him back. Then the chattering started up again. He began talking about the games he played with the other kids in the daycare.

Tina set the plates on the table and picked up Christopher to put him in his own seat. She was glowing happily as she sat beside Ben.

"Lucy is not feeling well this morning?" she asked.

"Yeah, she won't be joining us for breakfast," Ben said.

They ate together, enjoying each other's company in silence. Aside from Christopher's happy chatter.

When they were done Ben cleaned up and Lucy shuffled into the kitchen. She sat at the table and Tina placed a plate with lightly buttered toast in front of her.

Lucy looked at the toast and looked up at the petite Korean. "Could I have some jam?"

Tina smiled happily and nodded. She turned and accepted the jar of jam and butter knife from Ben's hands. She added some jam to the toast as Lucy leaned her head against Tina's arm affectionately. "You're too good to me," she murmured. Tina kissed her forehead and put the jam away.

Ben was finished so he walked out into the living room, settled down on his chair and flipped open his laptop. He checked his mail and answered a few.

He was just signing into the Engineering bulletin board when the doorbell rang. He got up to answer it and saw Daniel standing on the doorstep.

He let the boy inside and looked at him curiously. "Good morning Daniel! What's up?"

"Hi Ben! I was wondering if it would be possible to do the shopping for the consoles today as I've been invited to Rick's place tomorrow for a game tournament with a bunch of friends from school. If not, it's cool. You asked first."

Ben quickly thought about the timing and realized today worked for him as well. "No, we can go now if you like."

Daniel's serious expression broke into a relieved smile. He'd been hoping Ben would say yes as he really wanted to go to Rick's tomorrow. "That would be great!"

"Hang on, I'll get my wallet and keys," Ben said.

He headed down to Gretchen's room and looked in her open door. "I'm going to the store to get some game consoles and a TV. Do you need anything for your computer?"

She beamed him a big smile over her shoulder but shook her head. She did rush over to get a kiss. He grinned at her as she rushed back to the computer.

Ben grabbed his wallet and stopped in the kitchen with Daniel. "Tina, Lucy, we're heading off to get the game consoles for Karen and Penny. Do you two need anything?"

"No, I am good. Thank you," Tina said with a smile. Lucy just shook her head and smiled. Ben gave them both a quick kiss, kissed Christopher's head and led Daniel into the garage to his truck to get them on their way.

They were among the few early bird customers in the electronics store. Ben grabbed a cart and followed Daniel who led them immediately to the game consoles. He showed Ben the new models and explained the benefits the new units had over previous models, primarily their ability to handle the higher resolution screens. Ben put two boxes in the cart and they determined that they needed four additional controllers. They chose different colors and these went into the cart as well. He suggested a separate charging station for the controllers so Ben got two of those too.

Daniel took him over to the games. He explained the benefits of the games he selected for Karen and Penny. He included the ones they'd played at the parties and got a few new ones that he thought they'd like.

Then Daniel froze and pulled a game off the shelf and appeared to be reading the cover feverishly.

"What is it?" Ben asked.

"It's the latest release of 'Omnichron Specialist'! This wasn't supposed to be released until next month! None of my friends have this yet!" Daniel gasped.

"So... is it one we should get?" Ben asked curiously.

Daniel looked at Ben with an almost pained expression. He shook his head. "No, I don't think they'd like this one."

Ben saw it was difficult for Daniel to put it back on the shelf and smiled. He reached over and plucked it off and put it in the cart. Daniel just looked at him blankly.

"Compensation for your time and effort today helping me pick out these items," Ben said.

"No-"

"Ah! I won't hear it! Come help me pick out a TV," Ben said and pushed the cart in the direction of the TV's.

Ben stopped in front of a set which was identical in size and look of the one the girls already had on their wall. He felt Daniel lean against his side and looked down to see the young man looking up at him with a small smile on his face.

"Thank you Ben," Daniel said quietly.

He gave Daniel a one-armed hug against his hip and smiled at him. "You deserve it." He looked back at the TV. "Do you think this one is a close enough match to the one they have?"

Daniel smiled then walked over to look at the TV's spec sheet. "You don't want this one. It won't display the games well." He led him down the aisle and pointed out a better model. Ben nodded and flagged down the salesman. He left to check their stock and returned to say they had two and one would be brought out to the cashier station momentarily. He helped them pick out a wall mount for it and Ben thanked him before they went to make their purchases.

When they got everything in the truck Ben fished Daniel's game from the bag and handed it to him. The young man grinned from ear to ear and thanked him again.

Ben just smiled. "You earned it!"

Rain opened the door for them when they arrived and helped them carry the stuff downstairs. They left the wall mount, TV, and one of the consoles in its box against the wall where the equipment was going to be set up. Daniel connected the new console to the existing TV as Karen and Penny excitedly bounced on their toes behind him. Daniel was having some difficulty concentrating with all the jiggly movement of their abundant boobage. He glanced at Ben who told the ladies to sit and be still so Daniel could finish.

"I'll install the second set once I pick up a small cabinet for its game console. I also need to pick up the wall plates for the in-wall cable channel," Ben said.

Daniel got the console set up and their favorite game running. Karen and Penny jumped up and gave the young man hugs until his head was spinning.

Ben snorted in amusement and headed out after getting kisses on the cheek from his daughters and a delightful kiss from Rain. Daniel made his exit as well clutching his new game happily. He had camera duty later so he'd have to put off playing until much later.

After he drove home, Ben went inside and settled back down in his chair to relax with his ladies.

It was a lovely way to spend the afternoon.

The banquet hall Catherine and Chanel arranged to have their wedding in was gorgeous. The beautiful archways, high ceilings, and elegant chandeliers were only outdone by the huge, floor to ceiling stained glass windows overlooking the gardens which let the late afternoon sun in, splashing the room with dazzling colors. Rows of chairs were arranged to face the window with a central aisle and the chairs were filled with guests. Neighbors and family on one side, coworkers and friends on the other. Catherine knew a lot of people through her charity and some of Chanel's fellow officers had attended as well.

The ordained minister they hired was standing at the windows smiling at the guests.

Ben and Jack stood in the hall outside the main room glancing in the doors.

"I can't believe how nervous I am!" Jack grumbled.

Ben smiled at the war veteran and shook his head. "Have you forgotten what to do?"

Jack smirked. "No. It's just... I missed the first time she did this and I don't want to screw this one up for her."

Ben looked him right in the eye. "You can't. She's probably floating two feet off the ground right now. Just being there to keep her feet moored to the ground is going to be all she needs." He caught a nod from Sophia. "It looks like we're up. I'll go get Chanel. As I recall, we go first. After Catherine's daughters and Gabriella. See you up there."

Ben turned and walked down the hall to knock on the door of the room where Chanel was getting ready. He went in and saw her standing by the window. She turned and the late afternoon light painted her lovely white dress until she shone like gold. They had opted for simple, slim dresses without the huge skirts, loads of lace or beadwork. Still, the dress was stunning on her amazing figure.

"You look breathtaking!" he sighed in awe and she smiled fondly at him.

He moved closer. "It's time," he said as he held out his elbow. She took his arm and he led her out into the hall. There they stopped to wait their turn. Through the doors they heard a very talented guitarist begin playing a beautifully intricate piece of music on his twelve string and the guests stood to face the hallway and aisle. Miriam went first and dropped flower petals on the white runner down the aisle. Megan was next with Rachel then Sophia following.

Ben watched them approach then turn left to enter the doors to the main hall. Each gave them a wide happy smile as they turned. Gabriella was last and would be standing at the front beside Chanel as her 'best woman' with flower girl Miriam next to her.

Then it was their turn. Ben stepped forward with Chanel on his arm and felt her tremble.

"You ok?" he whispered.

"This... this feels like a dream!" she whispered back.

"Do you love her?" Ben asked.

Her eyes snapped to his face and saw his gentle smile. Her expression softened. "More than I thought possible."

"As much as Catherine loves you then. Good!" Ben finished as they moved down the aisle.

He saw Daniel moving around with his camera, taking photos from unexpected angles and vantage points. He smiled as he could only imagine how interesting these shots would be. He saw the intensity in the young man's eyes and knew he was in the zone.

When they reached the front, Ben kissed Chanel's cheek and moved to stand between Tina and Lucy who looked stunning in their swept up hair and elegant gowns. Tina was hiding her baby bump as well as she could. Gretchen was on Tina's other side in one of the fancy dresses Rainor had bought her. The only good thing he'd done. She flashed him a smile which he returned.

In the next row back were Lisa and Lori. Their red hair was piled high as well but some fell artfully over their bare shoulders. They'd chosen to wear matching red sheath dresses which immediately caught Ben's attention as he saw them. The twins drank in how sharp he looked in his dark and crisply cut suit. They smiled at his own appreciative stare. He nodded to them as Catherine entered the room holding her father's arm.

Ben thought she looked absolutely beautiful and his heart did a little jump in his chest. She smiled to her guests and her eyes caught his as they got closer. He felt her love for him as an almost tangible pull and he smiled at the joy on her face. Then her eyes were on Chanel and she bit her lip as a visible shiver went through her body. She smiled at the woman waiting for her at the altar.

When they stopped, Jack kissed Catherine's cheek. He leaned in to whisper something to her and she put her hand over her mouth as happy tears came to her eyes. Jack was smiling at her with tears in his own eyes as he stepped back beside his wife. Catherine waved at her face to dry her tears and took the final step up beside Chanel. Sophia handed her a tissue she quickly used to dap her eyes. Sophia took the tissue back and it magically seemed to disappear... somewhere. There certainly weren't any pockets on her lovely cream dress.

The minister asked everyone to be seated and she began the ceremony as the last of the sunset painted their gowns with its fiery reds and splashes of other colors from the stain glass.

The ceremony was mostly traditional but each said a brief statement of their personal promise to each other and the minister continued. Gabriella handed the ring Chanel picked for Catherine to her and she placed it on the blonde's trembling finger as she spoke the words. Her voice wobbled but she made it through.

Sophia handed Catherine the ring she'd chosen for the woman she wanted to spend her life with. Cat grinned and spoke the words boldly. She was almost giddy with happiness as she put the ring on Chanel's finger.

The minister announced them married and they kissed as everyone cheered. Daniel caught the moment when they turned to the gathering holding hands and smiling blissfully.

They signed their marriage contract, Gabriella was Chanel's witness and Sophia was her mother's. To make it official the minister put her signature and seal on it. Gabriella took the document with her.

The reception hall was a short distance down the hall and the guests made their way to it. Due to the short time span their preparations took place in, they'd opted for an informal self-serve buffet but they had a huge variety of delicious dishes so everyone found something they liked.

Daniel was able to relax and hang out with Miriam, Karlene, Savannah, Madison, John, and Jane. There were no formal seating arrangements and no head table. The atmosphere was very relaxed and happy. Catherine and Chanel made the rounds and greeted everyone.

Ben was sitting at a table enjoying his dinner with his three ladies and the twins around him when the music began. A section of the dancefloor was cleared so the older guests could enjoy the mellow classics before the faster tunes began. That's when the younger members of the party would get up to dance.

He saw Jack and Lynda getting up to dance and smiled at them as they began to move. He felt a tug as he watched them dance but he looked away and the pull slipped back into the recesses of his mind.

As the next song began Sophia showed up at his elbow with a hopeful smile. He nodded to her and swept her out onto the dancefloor. They began to move and Sophia's eyes sparkled with joy as he moved with the grace he'd shown in the Hall of Mirrors in the Palace of Versailles.

From the hours he'd spent with Dr. Granger in hypnotherapy he could now tap into his memories of Margaret Cosburn without losing himself. He didn't have to think about dancing, it just... happened. The muscle memory from the lessons she'd drilled into him every day until he was exhausted remained. The unfortunate caveat of addressing these memories was that, for now, he felt the pain of her loss as a fresh wound each time he did. Dr. Granger assured him that now that he wasn't suppressing the memories the pain would diminish over time. For now, he bore the pain silently as dancing like this made Sophia so happy. He dipped her and they flowed around the dance floor as time stopped for them.

Jack and Lynda were sitting this one out and watched Ben and Sophia in amazement. Gabriella was sitting with them so Jack turned to her with a wide grin. "The man moves like Fred Astaire did on his best days. Where did he learn to dance like that?"

Gabriella's smile was slightly pained as she watched Ben move. Jack's smile faltered. "I'm sorry if I brought up something painful for you."

She shook her head. Hannah had filled her in on the details. "No, not for me. Ben was taught to dance by a foster care mother when he was twelve. He... fell in love with her at that tender age. It must have been a profoundly deep and pure love. Even for someone so young. Her husband discovered they'd been dancing and had been for some time. In a drunken rage he beat her to death. Ben took her death extremely hard. Submerged the entire ordeal in his subconscious. It was what caused his recent issues."

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 11 milliseconds