A Shepherd Afield Pt. 05

Ben blinked at her. "Do I?" He hadn't realized he was doing that.

"I was just wondering. I like it," she said looking up at him from under her bangs with a sweet little smile. Ben felt an almost tangible tug towards her and grinned self-consciously as he moved to get some clothes.

"The bathroom is all yours," he said over his shoulder.

The bathroom door closed behind him and he pulled on a shirt, socks, and slacks. He left the bedroom and made his way to the kitchen.

Tina and Lucy were nowhere in sight so he busied himself making breakfast for everyone.

"Ben?"

He looked over to the doorway and Tina was dressed and had her coat on. His eyebrows went up.

"Could you drive me to the drug store? I need to pick up something for Lucy?" she asked.

He immediately turned off the burner and moved the ingredients he was working with back into the fridge. "Is she sick?"

"She will be fine but her stomach is queasy and we do not have any Gravol. I would like to get her some," Tina explained.

"Oh! Sure! Let's go!" Ben said. He grabbed his jacket, boots, wallet, phone, and keys. Then he wrote a quick note for Gretchen and met Tina in the garage. They got in and Ben drove them out of the neighborhood and over two blocks to a pharmacy.

"I will just be a minute," Tina said as she slipped out the door before Ben could get his belt off. His cell rang so he answered while watching Tina make her way inside the store.

"Hello?"

"Ben! It's Don Blake! It isn't too early to call is it?"

"No, it's fine. What's up?"

"That presentation kit we put together and you proofed? I sent it along to that contact of mine and he's... well, he's asking to meet with you."

Ben vaguely recalled looking at the marketing piece the previous day but he was well into a migraine at the time and today he couldn't really recall there being anything about the document that indicated who designed the device. He sighed. "Did you make any promises, Don?"

"No! Not at all. All I've said is that the device is real, we've tested it and gave them the presentation kit. I'm not kidding. These people are fucking excited about the filter!" Don exclaimed happily. "Did your lawyer send off the contract by any chance?"

Ben smiled. "Yes, it went by courier last night. You'll probably get it today."

"Thanks, Ben!"

He could hear the relief in Don's voice. "As you'll be handling the sales and marketing they really should be speaking with you. Did you give them my contact information?" Ben asked.

"That's what I'm calling about. I wasn't about to give them that information without your permission. Normally we will be the contact for the customers but this one needs to speak with you directly before we can do business," Don explained.

"Who will I be speaking with?"

"Colonel Alexander Hargrave of the US Army."

"A Colonel. I'm going to be speaking with a Colonel?" Ben asked in surprise.

"Nice man! A real straight shooter-" Don stopped suddenly and burst into laughter. When he finally got control of himself once more he came back on the line. "Ahhh, sorry about that Ben. Sometimes I surprise myself! That was a good one. Seriously though, the Colonel is good to do business with."

Ben saw Tina making her way back to the truck. "Ok, let him know he can give me a call."

"He's more of a face to face man," Don said.

Tina was climbing into the truck and her crutches were getting in the way. Ben moved his cell to his left ear and reached over to help her lift the crutches inside. He accidentally knocked the bag Tina was carrying from her hand into the truck and the contents spilled out over the seat. A pack of gum, the Gravol, and a bottle of Pepto landed next to him but some items fell down by his feet. He winced and mouthed he was sorry to Tina as she froze in the doorway. He went back to his call as he reached between his legs to get the dropped items.

"Sure, I'll be home for the next few weeks so give him my address." Ben picked up a package of cotton swabs and handed it to Tina who was still standing in the doorway. He frowned and motioned for her to get in. As she did he reached down between his legs to lift another box. He glanced at it and everything just stopped. "I... have to go, Don." He hung up.

He looked at Tina as he held the home pregnancy test in his hand. "Lucy?" he asked, his voice wobbling.

"I do not know. I thought it might be a good idea to check," she said quietly.

"Who?" he forced out of his tight throat. As he said it he winced as it made him sound jealous when he was more concerned about Lucy keeping secrets.

"You. Only you." Tina insisted sincerely.

He looked at her wide eyed then nodded. Trying to get a hold of himself he grinned weakly to her. "She may just have a little food poisoning or it's a reaction to the spicy pizza."

Tina nodded. "Perhaps. But it would not explain her missed period."

Ben's expression froze.

"We should not leap to conclusions until we have run the test. Let's go home. Lucy is waiting and she is very nervous as well." Tina said gently.

Ben nodded and carefully drove them back. He pulled into the garage and carried the bag of items inside. Tina stopped him in the kitchen.

"Ben, please let me do this. I will let you know the moment I know. Please," she asked placing her hand on his arm.

He looked into her eyes and saw her love for him. He nodded and gave her the bag.

She moved off towards the guest bathroom as Ben stood in the middle of the kitchen. He gave himself a shake and moved to the fridge and began to make breakfast once more.

He jumped when Gretchen entered the room. She was wearing the white yoga pants and black sweater they picked up at the mall.

"I'm sorry for startling you... is everything alright?" she saw his nervous expression and lost her smile.

He nodded and returned to making breakfast. He whisked the eggs in a bowl while he listened for Tina's return.

When Tina and Lucy appeared in the doorway Ben almost dropped the mixing bowl. Tina's eyes were glowing with joy but Lucy's eyes were locked on his, desperate to see his reaction.

"It's positive?" he managed.

Lucy nodded.

"How..." he gasped and she snorted explosively then began to cry. Ben crossed the room and she was in his arms.

Gretchen watched in confusion and looked to Tina.

"We just discovered Lucy's carrying Ben's baby," Tina explained quietly as Ben held Lucy to his chest and stroked her hair as she cried from the release of tension.

"It shouldn't have been possible. The odds are so astronomically high against it happening!" Ben said incredulously. He pulled Lucy out to look in her eyes. "What do you want to do?"

"Oh god! I want- I want to keep it! Please!" she gasped. He nodded and kissed her fiercely.

"We need you to go to Tina's obstetrician to have a full examination. She'll run her own pregnancy test." Ben said when he released her from the kiss. Lucy nodded with happy tears in her eyes.

He glanced over at Gretchen and was shocked to see the despair on the woman's face. She was trying to hide it but her expression triggered his memory.

He saw Wendy sitting at that very kitchen table the morning after she was told she was sterile. Ben had watched her spirit begin to die that day. Gretchen's face held the very same expression. He couldn't let her follow Wendy's path.

"Everyone, please take a seat," Ben said gesturing to the kitchen table. He took the chair nearest to Gretchen, Lucy took one on Ben's other side as Tina sat at the end.

"I never expected this. Any of it. When Wendy left me I came to the conclusion that not only would I never have love but children were an impossibility. Then so many loving women came into my life and I couldn't fathom how I'd become so fortunate... I- I still can't to be honest. I never expected that luck to go so far as to actually allow me to have a child!" He looked at Tina with love in his eyes then turned his gaze upon Lucy, clearly showing his love and awe at the second miracle. "Much less two! I love that I can share my life surrounded by so much love. Again it's more than I ever thought I deserved."

Ben turned his attention to Gretchen who was struggling to keep her tears at bay. Her lovely bottom lip was trembling as she tried to stiffen it. He took her hand in his and her control slipped momentarily. Ben looked to Tina and saw her watching him carefully. "Gretchen told me what that monster she was married to did to her. He had her tubes tied so she'd be unable to have children."

Tina and Lucy gasped in outrage and sympathy.

"Gretchen is lost. She is alone in the world and Tina, I believe you've been trying to get me to accept her into our family."

Tina nodded and smiled at the surprised look on Gretchen's face.

"Gretchen dear..." Ben smiled self-consciously with a small shake of his head as he finally heard himself saying it. He wondered if he'd already accepted her in his heart by giving her that name. "I would be honored if you would join our little family. We have some hurdles ahead of us, the main one being your immigration. I'll get help with that-"

"Ben."

He looked to Tina who was smiling sweetly at him. "Marry her."

He wasn't sure he'd heard her correctly but the words were out there. "But- but I'm engaged to you!" he exclaimed, stunned.

"Ben, I will always be yours. I love you more than I can say. You are the father of our child-"

"One of the reasons for getting married was because of our child!" Ben insisted.

"Lucy, the woman we both love, is carrying your child as well. How will marrying me help her?" Tina asked gently.

Ben looked between the two of them, at a loss to answer her question.

"I do not need a piece of paper to prove our love. The issue of our having your children outside of marriage is truly minor as I know you love us and you will love your children. No, what that piece of paper will do best, and should be used for, is to save Gretchen from being sent away," Tina explained.

Gretchen was crying and moved to Tina. She knelt next to Tina's chair and wrapped her in her arms as she rested her head on Tina's chest.

Ben was struggling to control his own tears but Lucy was letting hers flow. He was in awe of Tina's capacity for love!

"Will you give Gretchen a baby as well?" Tina asked.

The woman in question gasped and looked up at Tina's gentle smile. Then she looked back at Ben who was looking at Tina in surprise but finally nodded. Gretchen scrambled to her feet to kiss Tina then rushed back to kiss Ben.

When he finally got her to calm down he made her sit in her chair and took her hands in his. "I wasn't kidding when I said it was a miracle that Tina became pregnant. It was even more incredible that lightning struck twice with Lucy. We will go to a fertility clinic and try in vitro fertilization but before I agree to this you have to accept the very high possibility that it might not work. If it doesn't you have to be able to accept that. To accept that having a baby isn't the only reason for living or being happy! I can't go through again... what I went through with Wendy. I- I just can't!" Ben's voice was raw by the end.

"Yes! I accept it's only a chance. That's good enough. I promise!" Gretchen gasped as she cried.

Ben turned to Lucy. "I don't want any of this to diminish how flattered I am that you want to have my child. I love you so much!"

Lucy moved to Ben's lap and kissed him until they parted to catch their breath. "I love you too Ben!"

Ben looked at the three happy faces. "I- I don't know what to do next!"

"I will call my obstetrician to make an appointment for Lucy," Tina said.

"I'll help Gretchen research fertility clinics to find a good one nearby," Lucy suggested and Gretchen reached over to hold Lucy's hand.

"Mama!" Christopher called out from his bedroom.

They glanced at the clock and saw it was almost 9AM.

"The morning is getting away from us!" Tina yelped playfully.

Lucy slipped off Ben's lap and rushed over to Tina to give her a kiss then moved off down the hall to get Christopher.

Gretchen was wide eyed with excitement as she smiled at Tina. "I cannot believe how much my life has changed in such a short number of days!"

"Life is very exciting around Ben," Tina agreed.

Ben smirked at Tina and walked over to go down on one knee beside her. "If there was any legal way to marry you, Lucy, and Gretchen you know I would in a second."

"Yes, I do," she said, looking at him impishly.

He took her hand in his and lifted it to his lips to sensually kiss the pad of each fingertip as she gasped and squirmed, watching his mouth hungrily.

Lucy arrived with Christopher and Ben gave him a kiss on the forehead before standing to kiss Lucy passionately. She was swooning as he stepped back and walked over to the counter to finish preparing breakfast. He glanced back and saw three women undressing him with their eyes. A tingle ran down his spine and he stiffened in his pants. He turned back to the counter and adjusted himself discretely. He still heard giggles from the ladies so he supposed he wasn't as discrete as he thought.

He fried up some bacon and made scrambled eggs as Lucy prepared a pot of coffee. She still looked a little pale so she indicated she would just have some toast.

They ate their breakfast and listened to Christopher chatter away happily. He was eager to get back to his friends at the daycare.

When they were done Lucy told Ben she would clean up the kitchen so he took Christopher over to Daphne's place. Once more the young boy squirmed to get down and go but he had to wait until Lisa came to the front to greet them. She helped him off with his coat and boots then he was off like a shot. Lisa grinned after the boy then turned to Ben.

"Hi," she said with a wide smile.

Ben was suddenly struck once more by how incredibly lovely she was. She was the same age as Lucy too. The way she'd smiled at Christopher made him pause and think about what he was getting himself into.

Tina, who was only a couple of years older than the twins was having his baby. Lucy was their age and was having his baby. Gretchen was 31 and wanted to have a baby with him as well. That was at least three children of his own. Plus Christopher. His house wasn't big enough. He needed to expand it!

While he knew Gabriella, Catherine, Trish, and Hannah were done with having children, he didn't know if the twins wanted them. As he was in a relationship with them he needed to ask. What if they did want children? He began to feel a little light headed. Then very light headed.

"Ben? Ben! BEN!" Lisa yelped as he staggered sideways to thump his shoulder against the wall. She grabbed his other arm to stabilize him. Daphne rushed out to see what was happening and saw Ben was taking deep breaths and leaning against the wall. The two women managed to get him moving and brought him into the playroom and had him lie down on the big couch. Lori was there and pulled off his boots to put his feet up on the arm of the couch to raise them above his head. Some of the kids came over to see what was happening but Daphne drew them away to the activity center.

He looked up into the concerned faces of the twins. "Sorry about that," he said with embarrassment.

"Are you feeling any pain in your arm?" Lisa asked.

"No, it wasn't anything to do with my heart," he said with a sigh. "I've just had a rather... emotional morning. I'm afraid it just suddenly overwhelmed me as I thought about it."

"What happened?" Lori asked.

Ben no longer felt lightheaded so he eased his feet down to the floor and sat up. He didn't re-experience the dizziness so he sighed with relief. He patted the couch beside himself and the twins sat next to each other facing him. He had to smile as they looked so lovely there. He stiffened his resolve. He had to ask them straight out.

"Lucy may be pregnant with my child," Ben said. The twins squealed excitedly and drew looks from the kids and a glare from their mother. Ben gave Daphne an apologetic look and a stern look at the twins. "This is according to a home pregnancy test which, as impossible as it seems, I believe may be correct."

He took a deep breath and pushed on. "You know the woman I've asked you to shop for tonight? Gretchen? I've agreed... to be her Dom." He paused to see their reaction but they took that news as if it was a given. He felt... a little annoyed that the women in his life always seemed to know the outcome of his decisions before he did. He pushed that aside for now.

"Her husband had a doctor tie her tubes to sterilize her," he said bluntly and they gasped in outrage as Tina and Lucy had. He nodded. "She wanted a baby but not with him. I- I said I would try to give her a baby with in vitro fertilization." Again, the only reaction from Lisa and Lori were loving smiles. "There's... going to be a lot of babies in my home. I'll need to add some rooms to the house." He looked into the eyes of the twins. "Are you going to want children too?"

"No!" they blurted loudly in unison drawing another glare from their mother. They blushed and apologized to her.

"We love working with children but neither of us is interested in having our own. We- we were worried how you would take that news but it seems you have no shortage of willing volunteers." Lisa said and Lori nodded with a grateful smile.

"I was amazed to discover I was having one with Tina. I'm very happy to be having one with Lucy too. Gretchen deserves to have a baby after she lived with that monster for so long." He looked at the twins. "I don't think it would be a good idea to have more than that."

"You have our word that we won't ask you for children," Lisa said and Lori nodded.

Feeling much better Ben nodded and stood up. "Sorry about that Daphne. I'm feeling better now. Have a great day!"

"Bye Ben!" she replied with a wave and the kids paying attention waved as well. He waved to everyone and made his way out with the twins following.

He slipped his boots on and gave the ladies a quick kiss before heading back to the house. He saw a man standing on the top step of Catherine's house ringing the doorbell. As he got closer to his driveway the man was returning to his vehicle which Ben saw was an older model of his truck. The man had grey hair in a flat top military cut and he moved with a precision that said he was military and you'd be smart not to fuck with him.

He spotted Ben and waved to get his attention. "Excuse me! Is this Catherine Khaleel's home?" he called out in a strong voice.

"It's Catherine's home but she went back to using her maiden name, McGovern," Ben called back. He saw the man's face freeze then smile.

"You wouldn't happen to be Cat's neighbor, Ben Shepherd would you?" the man said walking towards him.

Ben looked at the man suspiciously. "Do I know you?"

"No, but my daughter has spoken of you. I'm Jack McGovern. Cat's father," the man said holding his hand out.

Ben smiled and shook the man's hand which had a very firm grip. "The Sergeant?"

"Retired!" Jack smiled. "I guess I'm a little early. I wasn't scheduled to arrive until tomorrow but the hotel we were booked in last night was hosting a bunch of drunk and noisy yahoos. We couldn't sleep so the missus and I got back in the car and just drove through the night. I was hoping to get here before Cat went to work but we got stuck in traffic."

"I could call her on her cell," Ben offered but Jack just raised his hand.

"No, I don't want to disturb her plans. I wasn't supposed to be here this early," Jack said.

"Okay, why don't you come to my place to wait for Catherine to get home? You're welcome to get some sleep in the guest bedroom." Ben suggested.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 62 milliseconds