A State of Grace Pt. 01

"Oh, right," she said. "Sure, why not?"

"Hmmm, I don't think I like this room at all," Crystal said, a few moments later. "I can't put my finger on it, but there's just something about it that makes me feel really uncomfortable."

"Yeah, I know," I replied with feeling.

She looked at the row of heavy file cabinets.

"What's in these?" she asked.

"Nothing," Kevin said. "I looked in them shortly after we moved in. They're empty, as are all the drawers in the desk and the credenza. I asked Aunt Lily, and she said that after Trent died, the police took his office computer and all the contents of his cabinets. They didn't get into the wall safe, but she says that's probably just because they didn't know it was there. It's hidden behind the credenza, and it's not easy to get to even when you know exactly where it is."

"She didn't tell them about the safe?" Crystal asked.

I shrugged.

"According to her, the search warrant they showed her didn't say anything about the safe, and she'd never been in it herself, anyway. She doesn't know the combination. Trent abused my Aunt for most of their marriage, and he made sure never to let her have access to important documents. She probably never thought to even mention the safe to the police. For that matter, we've never seen it ourselves. We just took her word for it that it's there," I told her.

Crystal nodded her head, absently.

"That explains some things," she said, her voice so soft that I wasn't sure if she'd spoken intentionally or not.

Kevin was staring at the floor, thoughtfully, frowning as he stroked his jaw.

"What is it, honey?" I asked, ignoring Crystal's smirk at the term of endearment.

"Unless I miss my guess, if there actually is a hidden room in the basement, it would be directly beneath us," he said. "Could it really be that easy?"

"Could what be that easy, Kevin?" I asked.

"Let's see," he said, cryptically.

He moved to stand between the end of the crendenza and the outer wall. Then without warning, he gathered his strength and heaved. The credenza didn't budge an inch. He studied it for a few moments more, looking beneath the edge, even getting down on the carpet to examine the footings. Then he stood back up with a smile. He gripped the edge of the crendenza and pressed down on something I couldn't see with his boot.

There was a soft clicking sound, and then with only a little effort, Kevin pushed the heavy wooden furniture smoothly to one side. I was surprised! The credenza had been sitting on a set of rails, somewhat similar to what you'd find in a doctor's office. It was clearly meant to be moved back and forth in this way.

As he moved it, Crystal and I could see that there was indeed a safe in the wall behind where the credenza had been resting moments before. But that wasn't all. Kevin squatted down, studying the floor between the rails with a careful eye. He surprised me he suddenly grabbed a pull tab I never even saw, and lifted it straight up and out. A long, rectangular section of carpet came with it, revealing narrow opening, and a ladder leading down into the dark space below.

Kevin's eyes rose to meet mine.

"Pretty 'James Bond,' huh?" he asked, lightly. It could have been a jab at me for not believing him, but I knew it wasn't. There was too much love and understanding in his tone – and his eyes! - for that. I could tell he wasn't angry with me, but I still felt like a heel.

Kevin pulled his SureFire flashlight out of his pocket and started down the ladder before I realized what he was doing.

"Kevin!"

"Don't worry, Gracie," he said. "I don't see any way there can be anyone down there. But I have to know if I'm right."

I watched, my heart in my throat, as he disappeared from sight. There was silence for a long moment, and then I heard his voice again.

"Oh my God," he said.

*****

Author's Note:

Thanks to all my readers for their collective patience while I've been gone. This contract wasn't as onerous as some I've been on, but it definitely wasn't a vacation either! It's good to be home with my wife again. Hopefully, now that I've had a little time to spend with her, the inspiration bug will bite, and I will start turning out more stuff. For fans of Kevin and Grace, part two will be coming soon, so don't worry.

- CM

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 30 milliseconds