A Tangled Web Ch. 04

Again all conversation was in the local dialect which Vera struggled to understand and, at first, she seemed to get in the way rather than help but gradually smiles and gestures took the place of words as she found herself part of the team and the sacks were flying off the carts to be distributed around the camp. Her body complained at being forced to work again but this time it was work with a purpose, this time she could see the need and, even if she hadn't been under orders, she would have worked her heart out simply as a way of caring.

When the last sack was finally unloaded there was a general sense of a job well done and she was taken to sit round one of the campfires where a meal was being prepared. Part of her was ashamed; even though she hadn't had anything to eat all morning she wasn't hungry, not in the sense that these women were, and their generosity in sharing their meagre rations was humbling. Still, it would have been rude to have refused, her stomach was rumbling and the women seemed to have made a banquet out of nothing so she gratefully took her place amongst the other women and children and, when a bowl was handed to her, she ate her meal gratefully. As she looked around she couldn't help but notice the almost complete absence of men, one or two older ones here and there but none between teens and the elderly. She tried to ask her fellow diners about this but the language barrier was too hard and she had to give up.

Then, whilst they were still eating, there was a commotion from across the camp. Vera looked up to see a column of soldiers dressed in a uniform she didn't recognise marching towards them. They paid little attention to the women but marched straight past and headed for the main tent. Vera looked at her companions with a questioning look but all she got was lowered eyes. There was an air of apprehension around the camp, the previously lively conversation had become muted and the women kept glancing over to the main tent. It wasn't long before some of the soldiers reappeared, going from campfire to camp fire as if searching for something. Vera kept her head down but, when the soldiers arrived at the fire where she sat, as the only European there she was grabbed without any explanation and marched back to the tent. When she got there she found that Xui-Li and the leader of the solders were in a heated debate.

"I bring food, that's what I bring," Xui-Li was saying furiously. "And you, General Chang, what do you bring but death and destruction?"

"I bring freedom," the leader of the soldiers retorted. "We fight back against the British overloads. Better to die than to live under their slavery."

"Fine words, fine words indeed, but there isn't a family here who hasn't lost a son, a husband or a father and what the bullets don't kill the British send to their camps. You and your rag tag army," Xui-Li waved her arm at the assorted soldiers standing about, "what have you achieved except to increase their suffering?"

"We fight with honour and we do not, ever, invite the viper into our camps." General Chang reached out and grabbed Vera, throwing her to the floor between them. "I do not deny that you have your place to play in our struggle but bringing this," he spat on Vera, the phlegm landing on her face, "bringing this round eye filth here is inexcusable. The way you shamelessly flaunt your perverted lust for all to see is bad enough but when it puts our very security at risk.... Maybe your operations could do with having a man in charge for a change, someone with a bit more decency."

"It is my operations that keep this, and many other camps fed and, before you send 'us women' back to the kitchens, might I remind you that it was my operations that kept the British from slaughtering your little army when you marched right into their trap in Philing. It was my operations that provided the intelligence behind those successes you did have down south. Without me you're nothing, nothing but hot air, General, and you know it. Without my help, my leadership, my support, you would have been defeated long ago. If you don't believe me then keep on the way you are now and, without doubt you'll find out. And as for my private life," Xui-Li reached down and helped Vera to her feet, "what I do and who I do it with is my concern and mine alone. Do you understand me?"

"I just...." The General seemed taken aback. Whilst Vera knew nothing of the politics Xui-Li's points seemed to have hit home. "I just think it best if...."

"I will decide what is best. I will decide who I take and where I take them. I ask again, do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, Madam Hong, yes, absolutely clear," General Chang replied but Vera could tell that this fight was far from over.

"Well then, maybe we can find some food for your troops if they ask nicely but don't you try any of your recruiting tactics, you've had all the boys from this camp long ago."

"I am grateful for your hospitality," General Chang bowed at the waist. "If you'll excuse me I will withdraw and arrange for provisioning for my men."

"You can have ten sacks of rice but no more. Heaven knows there are mouths enough to feed here with having to feed your men as well."

"Thank you, Madam Hong, you are most gracious." The General bowed again and withdrew.

"That pompous little...," Xui-Li spluttered with rage once the General had gone.

The row between Xui-Li and the General had had the side effect of quietening any other dissent. If General Chang could not stand up to her then surely none of the others would. It was noticeable that the camp leaders all deferred the Xui-Li so the rest of the meeting was quickly finished. Vera stood quietly to one side and watched Xui-Li in action; now, as a political leader, she was decisive and commanding and, as well as bringing food to the camp, she had also brought a sense of direction. It would seem that several tasks had been let slip and, with Xui-Li's urging, there were promises made that they would all be completed before next time.

Then it was time to leave; after endless formal goodbyes Xui-Li and Vera and some of the camp leaders went out to where the horses were kept and started to saddle up. Vera looked back over the camp; so much pain, so much hardship but the women there bore it all with good grace and good humour. There had been a companionship around the campfire which was hard to describe. Once she was saddled the extra height meant that Vera could see the particular fire where she had been fed; many of the women were still sitting round it and, with a burst of resolve she knew what she had to do.

"Please, Madam Hong, can I ask you to wait, just a few moments?" she said to Xui-Li.

"Wait? We must not miss the tide."

"I'll only be a few moments," Vera assured her and, without waiting for an answer got down off the mule and dashed through the crowds. As she arrived at the campfire she was welcomed by the smiling faces of her lunchtime companions.

"Thank you, thank you so much for feeding me," Vera said. "Look, I know you don't understand me but I just wanted to say... well... thank you."

One of the older women stared straight at her and, although she couldn't understand the words she seemed to understand the tone. She stood up and gave Vera a hug. Suddenly they were all standing, all wanting to touch, to hug, to share. Xui-Li called over that they had to leave and, with unbidden tears in her eyes, Vera returned to the horses.

"It looks like you made some friends," Xui-Li said conversationally as they rode back down the trail towards the dock.

"They're very brave," Vera said thoughtfully. "I'm not sure I could cope with living the way they do. I'm not sure I could take the hardships."

"They don't have any choice," Xui-Li said with a trace of bitterness. "When the British decided to eradicate the hill villages they did a pretty thorough job."

"Why would they do that?" Vera asked, amazed. "Surely we're here as peace keepers; surely British troops wouldn't do anything as brutal as that."

"Oh, you poor little innocent. Don't you know there's a war on? That fool of a general was having far too much success so your Colonel Fortesque decided to teach him a lesson. Every village in the Maing valley was burnt to the ground, along with their crops. The women in the camp, that's the result when two little boys start fighting, and that's the way it will always be, as long as the British are here."

"But we bring stable government. Without us you'd be stuck in the dark ages," Vera said forcefully.

"We were doing fine before you came and we'll do fine when the last of you is gone." Xui-Li stopped the horses and turned angrily to Vera. "You really think you're better than us, that you have some sort of right to rule. The women in the camp, the peasants, the dispossessed, you're not fit to hold a candle to any one of them. You disgust me, you and all you stand for."

Taken aback by the force of the words, Vera was left speechless and the two women rode in silence until they reached the dock.

"Put this one to work, somewhere below decks, somewhere out of my sight," Xui-Li snarled at the boatswain as they boarded the ship. Xui-Li disappeared into her cabin whilst Vera was taken below and set to scrubbing out latrines. It wasn't long before the ship gave a lurch and, although she could see nothing, Vera knew that they were heading back out to sea. She sighed as she dipped the brush in the bucket once again. It had all been going so well, she was getting accepted, she was becoming one of the crew and then, on the way back down from the camp Xui-Li had turned on her for nothing, nothing at all.

Up in her cabin Xui-Li still fumed. Much as she was loath to admit it General Chang had really got to her and the worst of it all was he did have a point. It had been risky taking Jun-Nui to the camp but what had she really seen. She had no idea where they were and there was nothing she could tell that Colonel Fortesque didn't already know. But it wasn't just that, it was the whole power struggle between herself and General Chang which rankled. Sure they disagreed on many points but weren't they on the same side? And then, on the ride back down the hill, she had taken her anger out on that child, Jun-Nui. The poor innocent had lived on British imperialistic lies all her life. One short visit to a refugee camp wasn't going to change that overnight. She remembered how sweet Jun-Nui had looked as she had run back to say thank you; there was a generosity and warmth that was so very appealing and Xui-Li had a sudden urge to go and find her, just to give her a hug. That would never do, if she were to show such weakness how could she ever command the respect she needed.

However, by the evening her temper had recovered and she felt that the poor girl had suffered enough so, as it was nearly mealtime, Xui-Li sent down orders that her meal, when ready, should be served by Jun-Nui.

It was Xiang who went to Vera and told her that she was to take Madam's tray to her cabin. Vera cleaned herself off and rushed to the galley. There she was given the tray and, swaying gently as she manoeuvred her way along the passageways, she made her way to Xui-Li's cabin. At the last moment she had a sudden thought. She really didn't want to continue the same mood in which they had parted. Although she was still not sure just what she had done to upset Xui-Li she felt she had to make amends. Maybe if....

A knock on the door made Xui-Li look up from her desk. After a shout of "come" there was a rattle of the door knob and the door opened. Jun-Nui stood there holding the tray completely naked except for her collar. She walked in and, still holding the tray, went down onto her knees. Still she hadn't said a word but the look on her face was that of a beaten puppy, sadness and contrition mixed. Xui-Li was deeply touched; she bent down and kissed Jun-Nui on the forehead.

"Thank you, my dear." Xui-Li took the tray from Jun-Nui and laid it on her desk. "Now come and rest your head on my lap whilst I eat. Have you eaten this evening?"

"No Madam Hong," Vera answered.

"Well, let's hope there's enough for two then." Xui-Li lifted the covers and the sweet smell of oriental spices filled the cabin.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 74 milliseconds