• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • A True and Tragic Southern Romance

A True and Tragic Southern Romance

Based on a true event.

Mississippi, 1911

Ora Bradey wasn't sure what woke her; the unborn child kicking her belly, the gray light of pre-dawn at the window or Jim's heavy work shoes on the wooden floor. His left hand on her shoulder roused her and she rolled backwards toward him as best she could with her belly holding her down.

Jim was already dressed and held a steaming cup in his hand. "Mornin' Ora," he smiled.

"I wanted to fix yer breakfast," she grumbled. "What kinda' wife d'ya think the ladies 'll take me for?"

"The kind o' wife who fixed a whole bunch o' food in advance so's yer husband won't go hungry while yer restin' after the baby comes," he replied. "I had breakfast and Matty's here to milk the cows."

"When did she get here?" Ora asked.

"'Bout an hour after you fell asleep. Ah fixed a pallet for her on the parlor floor. Wish I could stay t'day..."

"We need the money and Mr. McCurley needs you t' finish the job," she cut him off as she pushed herself up with her arms. He sat on the bed to stop her from getting out and held the cup of tea in front of her. Under the home-spun sheets she pulled her legs up into a lotus position so she could lean forward to take it from him. The mug warmed her fingers and lips as the pennyroyal woke her tongue.

Jim reached behind him to the small table, only other piece of furniture in the room, where his Bible lay. There was now enough light to read by and he intended to be the Godly father Reverend Isaac taught him to be, reading the Bible with his wife before he left for work. Ora swallowed the last of the tea and held the cup in what little of her lap she could find as she leaned against his shoulder.

"From Psalm 138," Jim began. "A Psalm of David. I will give You thanks with all my heart; I will sing Your praise before the heavenly beings. I will bow down toward Your holy temple and give thanks to Your name for Your constant love and faithfulness. .."

Ora wasn't paying attention to the words. She was stuck on "giving thanks with all her heart" for the young man she'd married and the new life in her womb. Dreams for young women in this community were simple, and she and Jim had started their life together with more than many of their neighbors. She had a lot to be thankful about.

Jim closed the Bible and looked at the top of Ora's head. "Tell me again what you'll do when it starts," he ordered gently.

"I tell Matty to run to the Jacksons', and Billy Jackson will take off runnin' for Granny Parker. On the way he stops at the sawmill t' tell you. Matty comes back to hold my hand until Granny gets here."

"And you get yourself ready fo' the hard work," Jim completed. "And speakin' o' Granny Parker, ah need t' follow her instructions 'fore ah leave,"

Ora made no resistance as Jim reached under the covers and found the hem of her nightgown. His hand, despite the strength of it, was gentle on her tender parts as he moved it past her belly to find what Granny Parker called "her sweet spot." Sex education in the farming community was usually based on watching cattle mate, but "granny women" advised brides before their weddings that God didn't make women the same way he made cows: Cows need to be "freshened," when they come into their time, but God made women desire their husbands. Furthermore, "the same thing that makes makin' babies feel so good (Praise the Lord!) also makes the muscles you use to push 'em out stronger 'fore they're born." Granny Parker had some very wise advice for women and their husbands, and based on what other women talked about Ora figured Jim was one of the few men who listened well.

Ora's hand holding the empty cup dropped listlessly onto the bed as her other hand gripped Jim around his waist.

Jim's free hand steadied his wife's back. The other enjoyed the warm folds of her flesh as me manipulated her to a climax. He wasn't inserting his fingers into her, so her breathing was his only clue that she had achieved it, but he was observant and knew her body well. As the ripples in her crotch subsided Ora tilted her head to offer Jim her lips. He covered them with his and eased her down to the feather pillow.

With Jim's approval Ora stayed in bed several hours before climbing out and finding her dress from the peg on the wall. In this warm weather she didn't bother trying to put on shoes; Too much effort to bother with 'em when yer tight with an over-due baby she reasoned.

She made her way to the back porch where her little sister Matty, also barefoot, was dipping cream to churn into butter from the fresh milk. They lived only a few miles from each other but Ora hadn't seen the slim and beautiful girl in over a month. Matty smiled with a toothy grin and said "Mornin' Sis!"

"Mornin'," Ora tried to ad more but found the rocking chair instead. "I'm sorry I wasn't awake to meet you last night... and that I slept so late..." she started.

"Don't be sorry" the teenager corrected. "Momma knows what it's like t'be late with a baby, so she sent me t' help you with things here. She says Leo was a ten-month baby."

"And he weighed fifteen pounds when he got here" Ora completed. "Ah am glad yer here, Mat."

"Guess what?" the teen grinned, her eyes twinkling.

"What?"

"I think Timothy Hawkins is sweet on me."

"Really?" Ora repressed her urge to giggle. "How'd ya figure?"

"Ah heard him askin' Bud if he thought Paw would say yeah if he asked permission to sit with me at the church dinner."

"If Paw says yeah I guess you'll sit with him, won't you?"

"He's not as handsome as Jimmy Bradey, but yeah, I will."

Ora rubbed her belly. "Be careful, Mat. That's how Jim & I started and look where I am today." Her giggle finally erupted.

"Hey! Jim courted you a whole year 'fore he asked ya t' marry him! Ah jus' wanna get t' know Timothy better! Ah ain't sayin' I'm gonna have his kids! An' speakin' o' kids, what d'ya think this one's gonna be?" She gestured at Ora's tummy.

"Granny Parker says it's yer niece, but sometimes ah think it's a mule with all the kickin'."

A knock at the door interrupted the conversation. Expecting Granny Parker, Matty put down the dipper and scampered to answer while Ora sat still.

"Ora!" Matty sounded like she was in pain.

Ora pulled herself out of the chair, struggled to her feet and into the house.

Matty was pale as a ghost, her slim shoulder leaning on the edge of the open door as if she was having trouble keeping her balance. Outside the door stood three men: Jim's boss, Mr. McCurley, behind him Reverend Isaac and the sheriff, all holding their hats in front of their chests with both hands.

"Ora, there's been an accident at the mill..." McCurley began.

Ora didn't need to hear the rest to know Jim was dead. She felt something warm on her thighs, took one step backwards and looked down at the pool of bloody fluid where she had stood. Her water had broken and the baby was coming.

  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • A True and Tragic Southern Romance

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 425 milliseconds