• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • Age is But a Number

Age is But a Number

12345

The story of an older man and a young woman who needs help to sort out a family problem.

I hope you enjoy the story.

Comments and votes are welcome. OOF690

Every end of week, either Friday or Saturday, for the past few years, I ventured to my local newsagency and purchased my weekly Lotto tickets. I'd greet the owners or the staff on the day, make my purchases and depart to undertake more shopping within the centre.

About three months ago, over a period of some weeks, I noticed that there was a group of new people working at the newsagency, and I thought that perhaps they were new staff taken on before the Christmas holiday rush. Shortly after the new year, Mike the owner, called me aside and said "This is our last week here, the business has been sold - finally - and I can retire. I want to thank you for your loyalty and support since we have been here, what is it - about 10 years now - and I will miss our little chats. We are heading off for some grey nomad lifestyle in a couple of weeks, so I hope we catch up when we get back. I also hope you continue to shop here and support George and Milly as they are nice people and they'll look after you, no problem."

I replied, "Aahh, I wondered about the new people, but I didn't want to say anything. I sort of thought you would let me know when you were ready. Yes, no problem with the new people, I'll still be getting my lotto and mags (magazines) as normal." I shook Mike's hand and wished him well with his retirement and nodded at who I thought was George, busy serving some customers.

I continued my weekly foray into the centre and the shop and was surprised one Saturday to see an extremely attractive young lady of about 25 or so working hard behind the counter. She saw me looking at her and smiling asked if she could help me with something. I grinned back and passed her my lotto envelope asking her to check the tickets and then let me have a similar set for the next week. As she worked, I saw that she had lovely blue eyes and noted her long dark hair that hung down between her shoulders. She was trim, but not skinny, and with the sort of figure that would, I think, be the envy of other women. She passed me the envelope with the fresh tickets and told me the price, with a smile that lit up the shop. I paid and thanking her said that I hoped to see her next week. "Quite likely, I'm here at the same time most days except Mondays."

Over a period of weeks, we conducted my lotto business, and chatted while she printed out my tickets, and getting any magazines I'd ordered from the drawer. I found that she was studying Systems Management and Data Security at Curtin Uni, loved football and played in the Uni's Aussie Rules Women's team. One Friday morning when I arrived at the shop, there was no-one else in the place and I said, "Good morning Gorgeous." She smiled at me and I said, "I hope you don't mind me calling you Gorgeous, but we haven't been formerly introduced as yet, and I'm not sure I should say Hey You."

She giggled and said, "No, I don't mind, only you though, I don't allow just anyone to call me that. I'm Antoinette Patterson, or Toni for short, but Gorgeous will do just fine."

"My name is David Dalgety, or Dave, and I won't mind what you call me so long as it isn't late for dinner."

"Aahh, now that wouldn't be an invitation would it?" she said with a laugh.

"Mm, well it wasn't supposed to be, but it certainly can be, if you would like it to be?"

"Mm, I think so, if you would like it to be?"

We seemed to be talking in circles, so I said, "Okay, do you like Indian, Italian or Asian food, or just your normal Aussie tucker?"

"Actually, yes. All of those plus anything I haven't tried - I'm a bit adventurous like that, and yes, I think I would like it to be an invite."

"Right, when will you be allowed out then. I suppose tonight's out of the question?"

"Actually, tonight would be okay, but I'll tell you what, I'm on a break in about half an hour (after checking her watch), what say you meet me at the Blueberry Muffin and we'll work something out there, hmm?"

"Okay, great, see you then," and I grinned at her smile and wandered off to do some more shopping in the centre. At the appointed hour, I arrived at Blueberry Muffin and found a table, noting that Toni had not yet arrived. She arrived a couple of minutes later and sat, smiling at me with that gorgeous smile of hers. I looked at her grinning away until she said, "What? What's the matter, you look like a cat that's just caught a bird or something?"

"Well, I guess I am, aren't I. After all, you're here, you're a bird, and just that fact alone is enough to make me feel I've won the lotto that I had no chance of ever winning."

"I'm not some sort of prize to you am I?" she said with a gleam in her eye.

"No, not at all, but I am surprised and chuffed (pleased) that you are here with me. That's a major win for me, I will happily tell you."

"Yeah, well, trust me, I wouldn't be here if I didn't want to be."

"Mm, well thank you, that's good to know. What would you like, coffee, tea, Bonox?"

"Ew, no Bonox thanks. Flat white would be nice though."

"Nothing to munch on, Muffin or something?"

"No thanks, flat white is fine."

I placed the order and returned to the table and said, "You know, I still can't believe why a gorgeous young lady like you would agree to have a coffee with me. Surely you have young studly types beating a path to your door vying for your attention?"

"Well, I guess they would if I allowed that, but I don't. I just tell them I'm too busy studying and I'm not interested. Really, I haven't seen or met one who acts over the age of about eighteen or so, all they want to do is drink beer and get drunk, take some hapless girl to bed and get their rocks off, and then 'see ya later.' No, not for me thanks. Am I really gorgeous, as you keep saying?"

"Yes, you are the loveliest young lady I've met in a long time, and I do not use that term lightly. In fact, you are the only young lady I've described in that way ever."

Our coffee and tea arrived and I sipped, then said, "Mm, good tea. How's your coffee? Tell me then, why did you agree to be here with me then, not that I'm complaining, far from it."

"Mm. Yes it is good coffee, that's why I come here sometimes, and I don't know really. It's just when we catch up every week, and we chat, it's our likes and dislikes, what we've both been doing and have done, and you always make me laugh, and that's nice. And now I really look forward to seeing you and, well, I don't know, it's odd, but I am so happy when I see you coming into the shop, you sort of make my day almost. Is that a bit too weird, or what? Besides, it's not every day a gentleman such as yourself tells me I'm lovely and calls me gorgeous."

"Oh, well, it's just that I'm a bit older than you, and that's been a worry for me which is why I've never said anything about coming out with me before, and if you really would like to come to dinner with me, I'd love to take you."

Toni reached across the table and laid her hand on mine. It was such a shock that I jumped. "Oh, heavens, I'm sorry I didn't mean to do that."

She looked at me and putting her hand back on mine, said, "Don't worry about the age thing, I'm not, and you shouldn't. Like I said, I wouldn't be here if I didn't want to be. Now about dinner, you choose, surprise me, here's my address, I'll be ready at - say - 6.30. Will that be alright?"

"Yes, absolutely, I'll be there."

"Good, ring the bell, I'll open the front door and come to my apartment - 312, 3rd floor - there's a lift, or you can use the stairs but I suggest you don't. The lift is quicker, turn left, 3rd on the right. OK?"

"Umm, you're sure about me picking you up from your place. I could be some mad axe murderer or something luring you into my lair to do all sorts of nefarious acts upon your person."

Toni gave my hand a squeeze and said, "Yeah, I thought about that, but I doubt it. For a start, you are actually coming to my lair and I could be the local crazed axe murderer, not that I am, I hasten to add. I can't stand the sight of blood, not even my own. No, I'm really looking forward to tonight, I hope it's a really special evening for us both. Now, I'd better go or I'll get the sack, ha ha, not really. See you tonight," and gave my hand another squeeze as she got up from the table. I stood with her, and watched as she walked away.

As she left, she turned and gave me a quick look and another wondrous smile as she turned into the shop and disappeared from view. I sat down again, numb struck. Here was the most beautiful young lady I'd ever met looking forward to having dinner with me this evening. How on earth did that happen? I had no idea, but I counted my blessings that it was me and not someone else. I still had several hours before I had to collect Toni, so I thought about where we should have dinner and decided to head home to my place and check out the possible eating places. I eventually settled on a European Restaurant that served a variety of dishes of Mediterranean origin and also had a decent dessert list. I rang and booked a table to be located toward the rear of the place so that hopefully we would be out of the way of the comings and goings of other patrons.

Perhaps I should introduce myself: my name as I have already alluded is David Dalgety, previously married young to Lucy, the girl of my dreams, I thought, straight after I graduated from UWA and went to work for a finance company. While there I decided I could do it better and provide a better - more personal service to my clients so I started my own business. I used to work hard, and long hours, building the business up to make it a success and to give her and any future family all the comforts of life. Apparently I should've been at home more often. I wasn't, nor was she I found out later - she worked of course, in a para-legal firm and spent most evenings with so-called friends of hers, well really one special friend, until she decided that she and her 'special friend' should set up house together. I found out when I got home one night late, as usual, from work, and found that she'd moved out and taken her stuff and most of everything else with her. So I sold the house, and with my half of what was left, moved to an apartment near the CBD so that I could be near to my business office.

The next lady who entered my life was Taylor, some six months later when she applied for a position within the business as a finance advisor and business broker. Another three months went by before I struck up the nerve to ask her out, and three months later I'd proposed, she'd accepted and we were soon to be joined in holy wedlock, much to the joy of her and my parents. Except that I found out that my fiancé and former best friend Toby who was going to be my best man, had been bonking themselves stupid for the last few months while I'd been working away from home while, I thought, she was keeping the ship on its straight and true course. Now both knew that I worked away, and both knew when I would be away and for how long, and I suppose that one needn't be a rocket scientist to work out while the cat's away, the mice will play, and play they did. I was totally gob-smacked by them both - apparently 'she was lonely and Toby is such a good friend to us both.'

I was physically sick when they told me when I had returned from another business trip, threw them both out of my apartment along with Taylor's clothes and so on, and explained slowly and very carefully to James and Junie, Taylor's parents, what had occurred that had caused me to call off the wedding. Taylor's parents, especially her father, were not happy, given that the wedding was slated to be one of the great society weddings of the year - no expense mattered - with family coming from all parts of the globe. However, as I explained to James, I am sure that neither he nor Junie had raised their number one daughter in that manner, and it seemed that her behaviour was as much a mystery to them as it was to everyone who knew her. Toby, of course wouldn't come near me knowing that any encounter would not be pleasant for him, and I never spoke to either of them again.

I was alone, not lonely as such, as I made my way through life looking after my business, and growing wealthier by the day. Life for me was good, but alone.

I arrived at the front door of the block and pressed the button next to her apartment number. "Hello, yes. Who is it?"

"David, to pick up a lovely young lady called Gorgeous and escort her to dinner?"

I heard the click of the release and entered the lobby where I saw the lift doors. I was soon at her door and knocked. Again a click and the door slightly opened to a voice telling me to come in, "Won't be a minute."

A few seconds later the most beautiful apparition appeared to which I could only look stunned. The apparition spun around and then asked, "Well, when you've picked your jaw up from the floor, what do you think?"

I managed to croak some unintelligible sound and fell to my knees on the carpet. "Without a doubt, you are the most beautiful creature I have ever seen. I still can't believe that you're coming out with me to dinner," I whispered.

Toni giggled and, taking my hands, pulled me to my feet. "Do you always fall down like that when you see a pretty girl, or am I special?"

"Oh no, I do that all the time, want to see my knees," as I made to pull up my trouser leg. "No, I'm afraid that you are the first, and only young lady that will ever cause that to happen, on many occasions I hope, but you will definitely be the only one, and as far as I'm concerned, you are very, very special. To me, anyway!"

"Well thank you, kind Sir. I hope it might be many occasions as well, particularly if I cause that sort of a reaction from you."

"Mm, yes well, just make sure there's some good carpet around, I think I'll bugger up my knees completely if I fall down like that every time I see you."

The apparition was wearing a one shoulder strap dark blue, almost knee length creation, but with a split almost to her hip that looked as though it had been poured over her body to set in place. The bodice showed a discreet amount of cleavage of about C sized breasts that I could only imagine. The gown was stunning and served only to make a lovely young woman even more beautiful, and she was going to have dinner and spend the evening with me.

I managed to croak, "Should we be going, and soon, I'm beginning to think I don't trust myself to remain platonic while you're wearing that outfit."

Toni giggled, and moving so close to me that we were almost touching, whispered, "I am so glad you like this dress. I bought it just for you. I took a long lunch and bought it at the little boutique near where we had tea and coffee this morning."

"Please can we go; I don't think I can be held responsible for my actions otherwise."

Another giggle, and she took my hand and led me out of the apartment and to whatever future the evening would bring.

When we were seated and had ordered, I told her that I was a non-drinker and I would explain all one day, why. However if she would like a wine or something, to tell me and I would get it for her. Toni was quite happy to have water and later a coffee so that's what she drank, me tea of course - I hate coffee. She told me something of her life in the city since moving here from the country to study at Uni, and how she really liked working for her Uncle and Aunt at the shop. "Aunt Milly is my mother's sister and a lovely lady, but I guess you've already met her and Uncle George.

"Yes, I have, but I didn't know you were related, no wonder you laughed when you said about getting the sack earlier today. Do they know about me, we are here tonight and so on?"

"No, I haven't decided when to let them know, besides what I do in my time is my business, not that I don't care but I guess I'll tell them when there's something to tell."

We spent the rest of the evening talking about our lives. I regaled her with some of the idiotic things I had done, until Toni said, "You were married before, what happened, or shouldn't I ask?"

"No, it's alright now, I've got over that part of my life, ready to move on and all that. I got married young, straight after I graduated from UWA and went to work for a finance company. While there I decided I could do it better and provide a better - more personal service to my clients so I started my own business. I told her about Lucy, and then Taylor and how I hadn't had any romantic involvement since however although I was alone, I wasn't lonely.

I kept the business of course, and it pretty much runs itself now, which is how I can be here today. By the way, a much nicer place to be as well, and the company, well that's not too bad either. With luck and some good behaviour on my part, I hope it might turn out to be a little more often."

I paused and then asked, "Tell me, Toni, are you allowed out on weekends, I'd really like to do this again, if you'll let me?"

"Well I'd be allowed out most times except when I'm at Uni, but I can't this weekend - I've got a family thing to go to tomorrow and I won't be back till Monday. The shindig is out in wheat country and I really can't get out of it, as much as I would like to. In fact I'm supposed to be driving up as soon as I finish work."

She shrugged at that and I commented "Well their gain is my pain I suppose, but maybe I'll pop in tomorrow and we can see what we can see, hmmm?"

"Yes. I'll be there from 8am till 3.00pm but won't you be at work?"

"Not normally on a Saturday, and I don't need to go in till next week anyhow. Tell you what, if you don't mind, I'll see you in the morning."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, never surer. I really would like to and hopefully we can arrange another dinner for next weekend."

I delivered Toni home to the block where she lived and said, "I have really enjoyed this evening. You have done something for me that I didn't think would happen ever, and that is that I might like women again for who they really are, not someone like my exes, but as a nice person with whom I want to spend time, if you'll, err, I'm allowed."

She put her hand on my chest and moved closer to me and whispered, "Yes, I'd like that as well. Will I see you in the morning?"

"Just try and keep me away."

"Good, just checking." Toni kissed me then, just a slight brush of the lips, but full of hidden meaning. "Goodnight, look after those knees for me, I'll see you in the morning. I may have something to ask you as well."

I opened the door and walked her to her front door, and she again put her hand on my chest as she kissed me with the lightest of touches on my mouth. She opened the door and with a last look as I exited, closed the door. I returned to my car, and sat in it for some minutes as I thought about the evening and what had been left unsaid. What was the something she was going to ask me, something about next weekend or what? I started the car and drove slowly home, and went to bed thinking about what she meant or didn't mean.

I got to the shop just after 8am and spotted Toni serving another customer. She saw me and smiled at me. I waited quietly until she had finished and she sweetly said, "Good morning Sir, can I help you?"

"Would you mind checking to see if there are any magazines for me please, and also can I get some lotto tickets for tonight as well? Oh, also would it be possible that I may be able to catch up with this young lady that works here. I was sort of half hoping she might be due for a break, and I'd really like to catch up with her."

While selecting the tickets for me, she whispered, "I think that could be arranged, Will you be around for a while, can you meet me when I have my break?"

12345
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • Age is But a Number

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 59 milliseconds