• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonHuman
  • /
  • Animal Instincts Ch. 02

Animal Instincts Ch. 02

1234

Author's Note:

Oh my! I have been so overwhelmed by the support and advice I've received thus far, it's been amazingly helpful. Hopefully I have covered a few of the concerns expressed after the release of the previous chapters.

The central figures in this series are Skye and James -- I hope to develop additional stories for the other couples at a later date so I won't be developing them much further than is necessary here.

A point of interest that I wanted to make note of is that there is a LOT of jumping between points of view and scenes in this chapter; I hope I've managed to do a decent job and not made it too confusing to follow.

Again I apologise if there are any blatant errors with spelling or grammar, I've tried to weed them out as best I could.

Hope you all stick with me, enjoy!

Chapter Two

Nathaniel Howlett sat hunched over the piles of quarterly acquisition forms, strewn from one end of his desk to the other, scratching aimlessly at the itchy two day stubble on his chin - what he wouldn't give for a spare five minutes with his razor. His assistant Morgan had situated himself on the floor on the other side of the desk, alternatively removing the completed piles, stacking them neatly in the archive boxes and passing up fresh ones.

As the General Operations Manager of the Wolseley Group; Nathaniel's job involved, but was in no way limited to the general day to day overseeing of the numerous commercial interests which belonged to the pack leader -- James Wolseley. The concept of running businesses in order to support the pack had begun in the days of James' grandfather Garrett Wolseley. He had initially started out with agriculture and trade; but soon began to operate general goods and supplies stores once European migrants began to flock to the promise of freehold land.

By the beginning of the gold rush days, James had taken the mantle of leadership for the pack from his grandfather, and quickly followed in Garrett's previous successes. In the years since, Nathaniel had been witness as James moved both the pack and the company into the twentieth century by forging into areas of developing technologies and industry and the company had continued to diversify accordingly.

Nathaniel sat back in the black leather high-back chair, watching as Morgan's long fingers closed around another stack when the monotone silence of the office was broken by the phone ringing, leaning against the desk he picked it up and placed it against his ear after the second ring.

"Nate swing past my place around eight tonight." Nathaniel was stunned, a look mirrored by Morgan who had popped his head up over the edge of the desk.

"James, anything wro...?" but he was speaking to the incessant drone of the dial tone. Slowly he withdrew the handset from his ear and sat frowning at it for several minutes. He hadn't even managed to get his salutation out before his Alpha's voice cut through - which Nathaniel noted had an unusual edge to it.

"Anything you want me to get?" Nathaniel's gaze flicked to Morgan in the instant he'd spoken, then set the handset back in the cradle.

"No thanks; let's get as much of this done as we can, Chloe was expecting these yesterday, and I now find I have other plans for this evening." Morgan ducked his chin, he knew as well as any that when the Alpha said jump you didn't wait to ask how high -- you just did it, preferably with a smile.

Hours later Nathaniel sighed as he caught himself staring at the phone in front of him for the umpteenth time that afternoon; rarely did his Alpha surprise or shock him, but the short phone call he'd received had left him with a slightly troubled feeling. At some point he had dragged the complicated receiver closer so that he now sat with his elbows rested either side of it. Firmly he rolled his stiff shoulders, and tried to force himself to relax his knotted muscles.

Swivelling his chair, Nathaniel turned to run his eyes across his tapestry of old photos - the only decorative element to the office - a living history of the Wolseley Group. Ranging from yellow and brown snapshots of the very first general store, to brightly coloured digital images of the very latest property developments; he'd found a lot of the photos in old trunks when he'd been a child. Many of which had even then had been badly damaged, but upon taking up his position as a fully indoctrinated member of the pack, Nathaniel had begun carefully creating the brilliant collage now displayed in a massive custom frame running the length of his wall.

"What's he up to?" he mumbled to himself as he spotted one of the newer additions, a photo of James and his younger brother Ryan standing in front of a state of the art medical facility.

Nathaniel rubbed his hazel eyes wearily; he, Morgan and Chloe -- the pack's head accountant -- had been slaving for weeks getting everything prepped for the annual audit. Morgan had left not an hour earlier to take the last of the boxes over to Chloe's offices, where the audit was to take place, and he wasn't expected to return. Long hours and a sufficient lack of sleep were clearly beginning to take its toll. With a grimace Nathanial forced himself to swallow the last of his coffee - which he found out too late was stone cold - and decided it was time to call it quits for the day.

With a quick check of the time he realised it was later than he had anticipated, leaving only two hours before he needed to meet James. Plenty of time to grab a shower, 'and a shave' he added after scratching at his cheek, and maybe a bite to eat.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Skye slipped the silk cocktail dress - an elegant cobalt blue halter neck design which left as much of her front exposed as it did her back -- over her head, gliding her hands across the fabric to smooth out the creases. Inspecting her makeup she assessed that it looked perfect even by her own standards. Sydney had been thrilled to introduce her to the vast wonders of modern cosmetics - but had been bitterly frustrated to learn that Skye was an extremely critical judge of herself.

Her hair however was her pride and joy, as she slid the hair tie out she gave it a gentle shake before it settled freely in a glossy chocolate cascade down her bare back, she smiled. She was complete. Skye opted to wear just her silver charm bracelet and a delicate silver chain, a memento from her mother, around her neck in a bid not to detract from the stunning dress. With one more spin in front of the mirror, she grabbed her matching purse and beige coat before heading out.

The girls had arranged to gather at their favourite coffee house, a quaint stone building hidden away in what looked more like a service alley just behind Main St. Natalie and Skye had stumbled across it during the first weeks of their freshman year, and had quickly become devotees. They had seconded the rear corner as their very own little sanctuary during exams; camped out with their books and lattés - and during the more stressful times, espressos.

Natalie and Sydney had been seated at the only window table, casually talking when Skye stepped out of the cab, a few moments later they were standing just outside the café's door watching as Skye adjusted her coat and tucked her change back into her purse.

"Check this," Sydney nudged Natalie as she let rip a series of loud wolf whistles, which Natalie followed up with a chorus of whoops and cat calls. Skye blushed scarlet, and with a quick about face headed off around the corner back to the main thoroughfare and towards the clubs, leaving the other girls to scamper after her in order to catch up. The trio broke out in rounds of rowdy laughter as Sydney struggled to find her balance as she skidded around the corner in her Jimmy Choos -- her latest acquisition.

"Sydney how on earth are you going to manage those heels once you've been drinking?" grabbing her hand Skye spun the other girl on her dainty five inch black sequined kitten heels, as they waited at the red light.

"Same as I always do," she smiled playfully.

"I'll find some nice man to hold them for me." All three chorused together, Sydney followed up by wrinkling her nose and poking her tongue out at Skye and Natalie.

"What's more important is how the heck does that qualify as being a dress Nat?" Natalie shrugged her bare shoulders and did a little shimmy, the tiny black dress clinging to her body like a glove.

"So when are you going to show us what you're wearing" Natalie asked throwing an arm around Skye's shoulders, her free hand tugging at the collar of the coat.

Skye rolled her eyes with her friend's impatience, "I was going to surprise you when we get there." The three had loved to try and out-dress each other, and even made it into a little competition - the loser was left to buy the first round of drinks. The winning line up was usually topped by Sydney, followed closely by Natalie, and Skye coming up in last place. But Skye had been convinced that her sad fate was going to change when she had purchased her beautiful dress weeks ago.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Nathaniel - freshly showered and shaved - stepped to press his palm against the touch pad, hurrying through as soon as the heavy door locks released. James had recently had numerous paintings, sculptures and other antiques adorning the interior of the sumptuous house -- most of which were heirlooms collected or owned personally by his predecessors -- reappraised. Nathaniel knew he had been informed in no uncertain terms that the 'private collection' was worthy of being displayed in any one of the major galleries or museums, the entire collection was priceless.

James, always practical, was immediately prompted to drastically overhaul the existing security protocols in order to keep the insurance company content. However in order to commit the break in the insurance company was so terrified of, the perpetrator would have a nasty surprise waiting for him or her once they had crossed the boundary into the compound. James kept a team of six security personnel on site posing as particularly massive, vicious but remarkably well trained 'guard dogs' and their handlers.

As Nathaniel moved through the rooms, a quick scent of the air placed James in the main living room and as he rounded the corner he found his Alpha absently flicking through channels on the large television. "There's beer in the fridge if you want one" he threw over his shoulder, as he flicked to a news highlight. Nathaniel knew that James would have been aware of his presence long before he had even driven up the long driveway; he had long since accustomed himself to the idea of his cousin being able to read his thoughts.

It was the summer that they pair had turned twelve that he'd learnt about James' telepathic ability, James had unwittingly scared the shit out of him when he suddenly answered a question Nathaniel had only just thought to ask. All summer long, they had had enormous fun testing the extent of James' ability. And finding themselves getting into more and more trouble as they had gotten older; they discovered it became increasingly useful in other ways. Nathaniel would construct an alibi the more detailed the better, then James would then assemble the details and with matching stories the pair would proceed to talk their way out of punishment.

Initially James had been limited to a radius of five miles, however now that he was a fully mature Alpha, James' abilities had increased profoundly; he found he was no longer limited to any specific range -- well none that either of them had managed to discover. He had also learnt that he could adjust the intensity, filtering out and even blocking out completely the thoughts he received. Part of his ability also allowed him to plant ideas, persuade and coerce, but James was a firm believer that people's inner thoughts were their own and should be left as such.

You want one?

Nathaniel quickly found himself falling back into the old pattern of not actually voicing his part of the conversation, as he crossed to the fridge and retrieved a beer for himself.

"Sure" Grabbing another he made his way past James, handing him the bottle, before settling back on the recliner. Putting the foot rest up he studiously eyed his friend, so far as he could tell there was nothing to be concerned about, taking a contemplative swig of the beer.

James didn't need to use his telepathy in order to realise Nathaniel was analysing him -- clearly the impromptu phone call earlier had set alarm bells off in his cousin's head. "You don't need to look so worried Nate, you'll find out soon enough. Besides I thought you'd appreciate some time away from the office."

James knew Nathaniel had been pushing himself relentlessly in order to complete the necessaries before the audit, "So, how's about we pay a little visit to Dusk? See how the boys and girls are getting along." James drained his beer and grinned at a once again stunned Nathaniel.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The two doormen stood broad shoulder to broad shoulder, their solid builds cutting a lasting impression of the waiting patrons. Each possessed a set of impressively shaped legs, and well-developed biceps -- making even the most dedicated gym junkie spit venom -- barely concealed beneath the matching black suits. The undeniable message was that these two men were not to be trifled with. However, even the obvious deterrent didn't prevent several women trying their damnedest to jump the queue every few minutes or so, before being promptly denied and directed to re-join the line.

Often referred in the press as being a playground for the rich and famous, Dusk prided itself on its reputation of being the most exclusive club in six provinces. There was a silent consensus among the movers and shakers of the day, that no matter how famous or successful you were, you hadn't actually made it to the top until you were considered a friend of Dusk. As such every staff member took their jobs very seriously these two were clearly no exception.

Jackson glanced toward the waiting crowd and nudged his twin just as a dark grey sports car rounded the corner of the block and coasted up alongside the curb. Ethan blinked once before speaking softly into the microphone concealed at his wrist.

"Owen get out here, I need you to move Nathaniel's car"

No more than three heartbeats later, another similarly dressed however slightly leaner and younger looking man appeared from behind the large polished metal doors, hurried down the short flight of steps then headed straight for the driver's door.

The arrival of the unusual and very expensive looking car set the lined up onlookers scuffling to position themselves to get a better view. Most of the women were chatting animatedly about the possibilities it could be, while the men started to discuss the possible origins of the car itself, it was a make and model none of them had ever seen before.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sydney had heard the low rumble of the car's engine first, and squinted into the darkness of the street over Skye's shoulder. As the dark car came into view she veritably gaped while it rounded the corner at speed and continued up to the curb.

"Wow, check that out" she noted, instantly drawing the other girls' attention.

Skye, who had the best view, relayed what details were to be had to Natalie and Sydney as they feigned disinterest.

"It's a couple of guys" she commented as the driver and his passenger step from the shiny car, and up onto the footpath to talk to the doormen "I wonder who they are, I don't recognise them."

"I'm wondering what their trying to compensate for with a car like that?" Natalie grinned and all three girls exploded into raucous laughter.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Nathaniel stepped from the vehicle and took the hand of the young man who held his door, and greeted him with a clap on the shoulder. He strode across in front of the luxury car toward where James was already greeting the twins and perusing the night's guest list.

Stepping alongside the three, he ran his eyes along the long line and smiled absently at the mixture of looks, from curious, lustful, jealous and even a few openly hostile ones -- well until he made eye contact with the perpetrator, who more often than not was male. Although he displayed no aggression his penetrating gaze would cause the lesser men to shuffle uncomfortably before dropping their eyes.

"How're things tonight boys?" He chuckled as yet another man lost the staring contest he had been so determined to win.

"Pretty quiet actually Sir" Ethan replied with a glimmer of what Nathaniel recognised as disappointment smouldered in the depths of his brown eyes.

James glanced up catching the bored looks from the two younger men and handed the clipboard to Jackson, "Well the night is young" he chuckled then ran his eyes across the waiting crowd "How about we let everyone up to that woman with the horrendous pink hair in."

Taking a deep breath and opening his mind he allowed the thoughts of the people gathered to filter through, after a few moments he'd scried out that at least a dozen of the female voices were from the graduation ceremony. He was near positive that the enticing valedictorian was somewhere in the gathered crowd, he just needed to be patient and find her.

Nathaniel eyed James warily from his peripheral; his stillness and the glazy appearance of his eyes were tell-tale signs that he was absorbed in his abilities. The sudden growl from James, although far too low for the surrounding people to hear, instantly had the three other men alert and on edge -- But for different reasons. The twins glanced around notably suspicious, scenting the air and looking around for whatever disturbance had so easily riled up their usually calm Alpha.

Nathaniel was far more focused on the unusual darkness swirling within James' eyes, and the way he held his entire body coiled as tight as a spring. A few heartbeats later Nathaniel shook himself as the sound died within the clamour of the crowd.

"Come on mate," Nathaniel threw his arm around James' shoulder, "I believe you had something you wanted to show me?" he continued to watch with trepidation as his cousin's eyes refocused, the darkness disappearing as quickly as it had appeared.

James warily edged away from the crowd of waiting people; he hadn't been prepared when the mental voice had struck him. As the whispering voice resounded again and again in his mind, he realised that he wanted nothing more than to rip the owner limb from limb but he had been unable to pin point the actual owner. That was the one major downside to opening up to so many people at once, sometimes the thoughts would tumble into one another making it near impossible to separate them. Glaring at his trembling hands, he allowed Nathaniel to steer them both toward the double doors and disappearing into the darkness within; happy to put distance between himself and the waiting crowd.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Wow!" Natalie exclaimed as Skye handed her coat to the cloak room attendant, before making her way toward the landing at the top of the stairs where Natalie and Sydney waited for her. She resisted the urge to wrap her arms around herself, as she remembered the sudden cold chill she had felt in the pit of her stomach outside.

The silk of her cocktail dress fluttered around her as she walked, giving the impression that she was floating on air. But it was the plunging neckline which drew the most attention. As she fell into step with her friends, Skye was thrilled that they had silently regarded her the winner.

"What's our poison tonight girls?" Sydney shouted to make herself heard, as they descended into the main cavern of the club.

1234
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonHuman
  • /
  • Animal Instincts Ch. 02

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 177 milliseconds