• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy
  • /
  • Astra Pt. 03
  • /
  • Page ⁨11⁩

Astra Pt. 03

They started clapping while the President held Jack's departure. "This is our Presidential Medal of Freedom. You have made a great personal sacrifice and have continued to strive for the advancement of technology for the betterment of all humanity. I believe you have explained yourself well enough and would like you to have this on behalf of a grateful planet and humanity in general."

Jack bowed to him as he had gotten awarded medals before. "I also wanted to open it for the contractors. To ask you questions."

Jack nodded, "Of course."

He drank some water. One gentleman stood up, "What makes you an expert on airframes?"

Jack chuckled, "Could I get your name please?"

He called out, "Gregory Parker."

Jack sighed and whispered, "Send me everything you have on him Astra, silently."

Jack smiled, "Gregory, the question could be reversed, and if I asked you what do you know of the stress of a 5x system drive and a 5x FTL drive on your airframes? You were using an additive model, 1-5 is 15, not multiplicative where 1-5 is 120. Your model was good up to 3x as they matched, they both equal 6. I had Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Engineering, among others. 5 bachelor's degrees and 3 Master's degrees.

I completed them over 8 years after entering the service. To be fair I already had 3 years of college at that point when I turned 18. I spent those 8 years becoming the Chief Engineer on a destroyer as well. The engines were a part of the job, so were the engine pylons that connected them, all of the electronics in the ship, as was every section of the outer hull, plating, and inner bracing that those engines pushed. They all had to be inspected for stress fractures, breaks in the hull, breaches, and lost plating.

The bracing slipped too close together and the plates popped out like a worn zipper. I used modeling techniques for system stress and the most likely place you will see the stress fractures and breaks would occur. I had my team run those modeled ships through the Death Valley aerial course to check for stress. I did this for all of the ships including the Excalibur and every single airframe the military is using, that is publicly known."

Astra replied in his ear, "He is afraid of space travel. He works from his desk."

Jack smiled, "How much time have you spent examining these ships after heavy maneuvers or combat? Let us not forget the rogue asteroid. How many hands-on hours would you say you have in just the last year alone? What about the strain put on them when they transition from space to an atmosphere or the reverse?"

Greggory looked around, "I have men to do that."

Jack nodded, "So, no time doing what I have done. How many breaks, stress fractures, or plating issues have occurred on your airframe alone in the last year?"

Jack whispered, "Astra numbers?"

Jack looked across as Greggory answered, "An insignificant amount."

Astra replied through his cranial interface, "11 breaks on 8 ships, 5 ships with stress fracture with 3 of those losing plating. 13 out of 30 ships inspected in the last year, all cruisers."

Jack looked across, "8 ships with 11 beaks, 5 others with stress fractures, and 3 of those losing plating because of it. 13 ships out of 30 were inspected in the last year. You build the cruisers. They are running a 1x drive or drives. You assumed that when a battle started the captain would push it to 1x, 2x, and so on. Or a quarter speed, half speed, and so on. When in actuality, if he wants to be in the battle to make a difference.

He drops it straight to maximum speed. I was in the military. I know the mindset. Your frames must be able to handle the worst that a crew will put on your ship. 13 out of 30 is not insignificant to the lives of the military crews who work on those ships. 1 in 30 is not insignificant. It is still over 3% when it should be a fraction of 1% at worst. Before anyone asks, 'Can he pull factual numbers on this from thin air for anyone?' The answer is yes by way of Astra.

She is a 30th-century android and what is being done for communication and computer system security in this era is child's play to her. I asked her for the specifics. I have a cortical implant that lets me direct her actions to gather information when I request it. Most of the time she pulls from her archive or the accident review board findings. It allows me to talk, listen, and receive a vast amount of data on a subject.

Anyone else wishes to talk about the specifics of their airframes? Same quests I asked Gregory. Start with your name and answer those questions. We can get this airframe issue settled today so you can get to work on making suitable replacements."

Ms. Helgan stood, "Why did you want so much for the tractor beam technology?"

Jack smiled, "Ms. Helgan. If I had not saved a vehicle that crashed, keeping a 2-vehicle accident from turning into a 20-vehicle accident, that technology would not have been revealed yet. The technology would have shown up in the future when it was supposed to. I got questioned by multiple sources on this. I re-engineered what is in use on my ships. They are not identical. It is designed for the military primarily. Starbases should have them. They can intercept ships leaving without paying.

Guide a disabled freighter to a dock and align it to an airlock. Support craft that is designed to rescue stranded ships. Not every civilian ship. That is why we made it cost-prohibitive and why I was so hard on discounts on military destroyers and larger ships. Also, Starbases and shipyards. Capturing a wayward pilot who buzzed over the control tower. Yes, I did that today here at the Capitol when I had a heated exchange on the fact, that I needed to be parked on pad 3 in regards to protocol and the law.

My shuttle is armed it must face away from the building but then there is a protocol on which side the door must face. I knew where I needed to be but was delayed because of that. If they had a tractor beam, and I had shields down, I would have been captured to attend this meeting much faster." The people chuckled. "Ms. Helgan, how subject to abuse is that device if someone wanted to stop a defense aircraft? I did that earlier today as well to a new pilot with no callsign.

She wanted to go weapons hot because of my approach to the planet away and outside of a Star Base's areas of control. Rare for commerce but legal. She now has a callsign of Death Blossom. For those that do not know, a Death Blossom is an aircraft spinning on three different axes. With her fighter on the outer edge like an amusement park ride only larger. Her wingman was Crazy Eights. I have had playful run-ins with him on a few occasions.

He sat back and recorded her getting schooled and getting a call sign for posterity. Fighter pilots are like that and he had her target me. Now someone might be asking why would I do this? My flight records have me listed as a certified fighter pilot instructor. While on the subject of fighters, they need more powerful weapons. Shields to counteract tractor beams and deflect some enemy fire. ID units to take the stress off the pilots so if they ever get caught in a 'death blossom ride' they might not lose consciousness or their lunch.

Then 5x drive with an improved sensor package. Turn a fighter into a minute scout. The patents for those are going out as soon as I can do live-fire testing. I am having a new scout ship being built because the Ravager did not suit my safety standards or needs. As I stated, it should be condemned as far as this new hardware goes. I could say the same for just about every airframe the military is using in regards to retrofitting this technology into the existing craft.

My new scout is what I call my Stingray model. I hope to have this ship finished and flying within 14 days. I sent the President the design and he said he would forward it to the different builders. This is not a 'future' airframe it is my proprietary design for use on colony convoy duty and additional fire support. It is also a weapons testbed for what I have coming out."

Another guy in the back jumped up, "Will these weapons be as powerful as the ones on your ship the Excalibur?"

Jack shook his head, "Not for a long time. Excalibur is still a repository of future data and designs. Astra must be able to defend that from any attempt to board the ship. The weapons I will deliver are in the same power category as the shields I deliver. I had to reverse engineer the powerful weapon back down to one that is appropriately powerful enough without accessing the schematic repository. I am not a 'weapons designer' by trade. We are also limited based on the power cores.

It does tell the manufacturers that there is a better version of these potato guns. Just as I told the President. It does no good to give you a shield just to give a weapon that will vaporize the shield and ship in one shot. I know from my history there will be 3 major cases of civil disobedience, rebellion, and civil war. I have to keep things balanced between the sword and the shield. It is a part of my nature. That does not prevent you from working to enhance them.

I gave you a new tech baseline except for ship designs for your military. Instead, I gave you the modeling tools to test your designs. Now you just have to get creative. I have not, through any contract, put a restriction on you improving upon the designs. I put in language to deal with rights to the new design if it infringes upon mine. I still do get royalties as it were. You create something new. Run with it, it is yours. My goal with GS and all of you is to give you a platform to start from.

Then let you decide which direction things go. It is all about choice and how you wish to proceed. Knowing that if your ship designs fail someone else on Tera just might beat you to it and then it is game on as you innovate like mad to stay relevant. I have no plans, at this time, to introduce any more weapon or shield designs beyond what is in the works. Items to help with mining. Sure. A ship designed for a harvester, refinery, and support vessel.

Capable of handling extreme gravitational fields. Is that on the top of my list? Absolutely. But no weapons, shields, and engines unless I see the sword ahead of the shield side. If it is lacking woefully behind. They need to advance and I know there are ways you could do that. If I feel I must take steps to intercede it will likely be with an enhanced design due to a specific action or threat. I will execute the termination of a vendor from producing the technology if they failed to innovate.

Then put it into a rival's hands with the updated version and let them know they need to keep pace. That goes in the other direction too. If shields get far ahead of swords. Unlikely given the nature of the sword mentality to be aggressive. I am speaking metaphorically but a laser cannon is a weapon and shield generators are shields. I am trying to ensure humanity does not kill each other for the sake of stupidity.

Disagree yes, but try to work your grievances out without violence being the first course of action. Violence will get violent. Sometimes there are no other ways. Especially if they are alien AND unwilling or unable to communicate with us. That is why psionic communication is another diplomatic tool. Given to us by the Drakor."

A guy in the back, "You are rather long-winded and I understand what you are saying. What about ground troops and systems for close-quarter engagements?"

Jack went and set his glass back down at his table and looked across. "When humanity is set to not use those things against each other I will consider it. Ground forces are not being deployed into any alien war right now. That just leaves fighting each other. I don't want any part of personally advancing that goal. Though some of it will leak over. The weapons I sell will spawn enough ideas in innovation to make a better rifle or tank. Humanity has never come up with a shortage of ways in which to kill each other."

He walked back up to the President and shook his hand again. "I have a few more things to invent yet. We will see what I come up with next, Mr. President."

President Grendal smiled, "Thanks again Jack for everything."

He walked back to his seat and waited to see what would happen next. "I will set up an exception with security concerning Psi swords for you and your wives. Along with what they look like. We currently only have 3 blades and while deadly they can avoid friendly fire. This would last only while I am in office. The next person would have to take the reins after that on the issue. I see how you are about always having them with you."

Jack nodded, "They may change in the future. You will be one of the first to know about that. I will have to be debriefed on that alien contact and any future implications."

The crowd chuckled at that. They announced the President's departure and everyone stood. Before Jack could depart the contractors came up to shake his hand.

Jack stopped Gregory, "Anyone of the airframe manufacturers could have gone first. I was not singling you or your company out for ridicule. I was merely making a point to all of them not to repeat it 6 more times as though what I am telling you is a personal insult instead of educating you. I am prior military and I have a far different view on what insignificant is when it comes to the lives of those aboard those ships. You worked with the modeling tools you had. Now you have new ones and the opportunity to make airframes a lot more rigid and survivable."

Gregory nodded, "We threw all our names in a hat to see who the spokesperson would be. One of the waitresses pulled my card. She also gave me her number."

Jack chuckled at that, "Enjoy your reward for being thrown into the lion's den. I know I came down hard, but I did it to stop the others from trying to do it over and over again."

Gregory laughed. The other 6 airframe manufacturers followed suit before departing. He saw Treven Engines group of 5 with Mr. Treven having his wife with him. She walked up, "I am." Jack finished for her "Gloria Treven. Finally, nice to meet you."

Gloria smiled, "My husband did not tell me he told you about me."

Jack smiled, "Far be it from me to say a husband does not talk about his wife and family. All you are missing is young Sally. Paul graduates out soon from college and I have spoken about his future with his brother James. Some opportunities that might be floating your way if you're up for working in space."

Paul looked at Jack, "You are offering me a job?"

Jack shook his head, "All members of my crew have to be married and a bit open-minded to some of the eccentric activities that happen onboard."

He looked at Jack, "I have two ladies who I am looking to marry."

Jack nodded. "Yes, I know Nancy and Yevette. Lovely ladies from what I have been told. Like I said when I see talented people, I like to know more about them."

Paul smiled, "Thank you for taking notice of me."

Jack nodded, "Yevette is a Marksman on top of being a biology and psychology major. She is due to finish med school soon. Spent her military service as a sniper. I do not have a biologist or practicing psychologist aboard but I do have Carol Druthers who was the President's expert in Xenobiology and an MD. You're a double major with a master's level in both business and engineering. You spend your service piloting a destroyer and working in engineering.

Your brother and Francine got a tour of my lab and parts of my ship. We did not go deck-by-deck. We hit the locations she wanted to see most. Like my workstation setup. She saw the mock-ups of 12 weapon systems and I told her how I got them. The way I approach reverse-engineering kind of freaked her out.

I showed a recording of how I did it for the power couplings while changing all the underlying components. Then the shape and cooling of them. In less than 20 minutes. That was the part that had her caught off guard. Your other lady Nancy is a doctor, an MD. Spent her service as a nurse's aide as she was already pre-med and took the courses."

Paul smiled, "I am surprised you know all that. Did Astra tell you about them?"

Jack shook his head, "I knew you had 2 ladies you were interested in and I can read future records on people when I choose to. I know you eventually marry them both. I read all this a couple of months ago. I have also talked about the shipyards. If I am in Tau Ceti who is overseeing their planning, construction, and operation?

I thought about your father setting up a separate division if you will, to help oversee some of that. Those big engines will have to be installed someplace. I plan to invest hundreds of billions into their construction. They will not just be building stuff for the military but mining and exploration companies."

Mr. Treven looked at them, "You forming a company?"

Grace smiled, "I did that a while ago under the radar. The name is HII, Hybrid Innovation and Investments LLC. Easier to have all holding, most anyway, under the one company to do those kinds of things. I am the President and CFO while he is the CEO, Founder, and owner. It only has the two of us on right now. With all the travel we have not decided on any underlying structure. With 500 Billion TCs in working capital, with all taxes already paid he can work a lot of what he is discussing."

Jack looked at Mr. Treven, "Francine put me in touch with your shipbuilder and he is aboard right now putting together my new scout ship at 10 million TCs a day and it will be assembled in a week. My first wife is one of his daughters."

They chuckled at that. "The frame and hull in 7 days. I was working on the engine housing when I had the issue with the Ravager, which sidetracked my timeline. Four power cores are multiplexed together. That scout will be able to take out a battleship toe to toe. Four engine housing for the redundancy."

James looked at Jack, "You are talking 400 terawatts in a scout?"

Jack smiled, "They will be 6B."

Paul looked at Jack, "What does that mean?"

Francine looked at Paul, "472 terawatts instead. He will have more power in that one ship than some countries."

Jack laughed, "No, the 6B would come out to 120 terawatts per so that is 480 terawatts. I have more than triple that on the Excalibur but most of that is running fabricators and the particle accelerator. It uses solid metallic hydrogen so it does not need to maintain the magnetic field for the superconductor with the new design. That scout is a 14-man capacity with an FTL drive."

He pulled up the holovid and then pulled up the interior layout. Then the exterior. Paul commented, "You built a half deck with reinforced plating on the lower hull for the FTL and power cores." Jack pointed at four open slots, TL8569 server farms. I might replace those. Two of those with two Vapor thermal cooling units to keep everything 'nice and cozy' on that deck."

Paul pointed out, "That is what these series of ducts that shoot-out between engines are for. To act as a heat exchanger or exhaust if you will."

Jack chuckled, "I think we are boring your mother."

Gloria smiled, "Engines and ships are not my things."

Jack spoke to her in Japanese as they lived there and she had all her life while not being 100% Japanese, "You would rather talk about Cherry and Cherry Blossom trees. Maybe Azaleas or Camellias. I would bet Camellias."

Gloria laughed and responded in kind, "How did you know?"

Jack smiled, "I would expect nothing less from a botanist. Before I went to your husband with my power cores, I learned everything about the integrity of the man and his family. Being an engineer, it was like giving away my child to him with those for the power cores and engines. Like you and your 3 children. I wanted them in the best hands. In the hands of a man with integrity."

  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy
  • /
  • Astra Pt. 03
  • /
  • Page ⁨11⁩

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 232 milliseconds