• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • Becoming Monsters: I'm Blue 14

Becoming Monsters: I'm Blue 14

12

Becoming monsters is the creation of AiLovesToGrow, setting used with permission

This idea comes from Amethyst Dragonfly. Neppy, Dandelion, and Vanilla the cat are the creation of kdlf, used with permission. Vyrlokar is the OC of... well, Vyrlokar, also used with permission.

--

Chapter 14: Desperate Measures

Sunday dawned clear. And, in proud Washington tradition, unexpectedly cold despite the fact that it should still have been summer. Justin awoke early with a nagging itch in his brain, problems to solve plaguing his restless dreams. One look at his girlfriend's peacefully slumbering form in his arms convinced him to let her rest for a bit longer, so he pulled some clothes on to get a bit of seaside air.

Then immediately went back in for another layer, because the morning breeze was not precisely pleasant unless one happened to be a penguin.

Stepping out towards the pier, he could see that he wasn't alone. In the steel-gray light of the early morning, a rather attractive humanoid woman was standing and staring out at the choppy water. Her arms were crossed, her wings held tightly around her, and a white turtleneck trying to keep her warm. May the Greater Succubus. "Is it always like this in Washington?"

Justin laughed a bit under his breath. "It'll warm up later, thankfully. It's still August after all."

"Tell that to the thermometer. I'm shivering my tits off out here, and between you and me that's saying something!" May didn't seem interested in heading back inside just yet despite this. "Everyone else is asleep, and I just fed Alex. Getting some quiet reflection time isn't something all that common for me these days."

Justin's own arms were crossed against the cold. "Yeah, I hear you. Need me to head somewhere else and leave you to your thoughts?"

"Nah. Gets a bit weird up in my head if I'm alone too long." She sniffed the air a bit, then turned to look at him more directly. "You're an odd one, you know that?"

"You're not the first to say that one. Do you mean it in a good way or a bad one this time?"

"Neither, just odd. I can see and smell lust. It's just a part of who and what I am. You have the background of it, sure, but it's like... a cloud of cologne you happened to walk through an hour ago. You appreciate the aesthetics, but that's it. No expectation of what you'll get being alone with a Succubus. No fantasies. Nothing at all like what I smell on you around Abbey. If it was warmer I could be naked and swaying, and I don't think you'd lose control. You just... focus on what you should be, all the time."

"Uh... I'm not sure how to respond to that."

"And I'm not quite sure how you should, either. Call it a learning experience." She looked back at the house. "I can feel Todd from here, though that one has a bit of a boost. Lust and love in equal measure, and given the measure we're talking about that's quite a trick. Given what I think I saw, though... don't be scared to ask to be the small spoon. I'm sure Abbey won't mind."

"Well, this conversation got a bit awkward."

"Sorry, just... kind of how I operate. Can't avoid it, really. You're refreshing, and from what I've seen she's lucky to have you. Now, the hard question."

Justin instinctively took a half-step back. "That part wasn't hard?"

"Nope, just awkward. I talked to Todd yesterday. You two have a long way to go to keep this... I think he called it a surreal estate. What are you planning to do about it? You didn't wake me up with cheers when you got home, so I'm assuming the whole 'ask for a raise' plan didn't cut it."

"You are way too good at this interpersonal thing."

"I'm married to a Bard and can directly see one of the most common emotions in all of humanity. Now answer the question, please."

Justin crossed his arms. He even told himself it was against the cold breeze. "Alright, alright, you're right. I got a raise, but trying to tell the tax assessors to go away on eight extra dollars a week isn't going to do much. And... well, I had a chance to think about it more last night. Even if Abbey got exactly what she asked for and so did I? That still probably wouldn't be enough for more than a year or two. That leaves me trying to improvise a business, and the best idea I've got is to use as much of my mana pool fixing weapons at the Guild Hall as I dare."

She shook her head. "You told us yourself, that's not practical right now and won't be until you fix your mana supply. Any ideas when that might be?"

"Nope. Didn't say it was a good idea, just the best one I've got. I'm heading back inside, you don't do coffee but maybe some tea? Made sure to grab some on the way home last night."

May shivered slightly. "That sounds lovely."

The house was still quiet when the two of them got inside, a companionable silence accompanied by the sounds of Justin getting drinks started being quite preferable in his mind to her unbelievably incisive commentary. Because... well, she was hot in a way that only Succubi could be, if not quite Justin's type, but he was taken. That simple. Whether the relationship was two years or two weeks didn't matter.

Oddly, both of these were true in their own way.

His blue beau stumbled out of their room when she smelled coffee strong enough to qualify as an alchemical mix, accepting a mug gratefully. "You two been up long?"

Justin shook his head. "Nah, maybe twenty minutes. Wanted to get some air, but the breeze feels like the last time I spilled a frappe on myself."

"Good conversation, though." May was still wearing a contented smile. "What do you two do on weekends around here?"

"Homework." The two answered simultaneously.

"Real party animals, I see. Wild. Might as well be back on campus for a mixer."

Abbey sipped at the jet fuel strength coffee for a moment as her brain turned itself back on. "Okay, so that was half-true. I'm normally down for some serious self-care on a Sunday. Mug of something warm, a book or two, go jogging, maybe wear something fluffy. You know."

"My version of self-care is a tiny bit different, but then again I can't shapeshift a manicure. I get it, but where's this going?" The Succubus before them was unconsciously buffing her fingernails against her turtleneck, making certain bits of her bounce around entirely out of proportion to the motion that prompted it and making it quite clear what ELSE went into her version of self-care.

"I think... today needs to be a bit different. I'm heading to the Guild Hall if anyone wants to join me." Her brows were furrowed in concentration, the caffeine not yet in her system. "I said I'm doing homework, but you might notice I'm the only person in this house besides Alex who isn't a college student. There may be a job offer there with my name on it, so I'm going to check it out."

Justin glanced at her. "I guess I'll go, too, I need to see how well the job with Quiverbow pays..."

"No, you have actual homework to do. For a degree you're going to need."

Justin did not enjoy this. At all. "Fine, then mind if I write down a few questions for you to find answers to while you're there?"

"Sure. After we eat, shower, and list out which assignments you're working on today in the order you'll need them this week."

"You don't play fair, love."

"Oh, I do unless I have to be unfair. Like now. I'll toast up the English muffins."

The smells by this time drew out the last three guests from their beds, and a cry announced that Alex had decided that this particular nap was done with. May's reaction to this was another warm and joyful smile as she rose to go get her newborn son, followed by annoyance when she realized that the front of her shirt was getting significantly wet from leaking milk. She hurried to the nursery.

"You think that'll happen to me, Justin?" She was looking in the path of the retreating Succubus.

"I'm not sure which bit you're talking about, love, but I know the only way to find out is to get there ourselves." Justin didn't miss the enormous smile that crossed Abbey's face like the sun across a sapphire sky. Then his own brain caught up with what his mouth had said. Then his heart rate. I knew I was serious about this, but even I didn't realize how much I felt on it.

It was a lot to think about.

Ghata seemed to notice the realization hit him like a ton of bricks, and decided to intervene. "What homework do you have?"

Justin thought for a moment. "I have a wildlife study due for my art portfolio this week, so I should probably do that first. Hopefully some wildlife decides to cooperate this time." Both Todd and Song immediately started laughing. "Uh... what did I say?"

Ghata's response was to turn into a seagull, flutter onto the table, and casually walk over to steal what was left of Justin's English muffin, and bring it back to her plate to peck at with a self-satisfied smirk at the corners of her beak.

Todd filled him in while Ghata munched. "You have some rather unusual houseguests at the moment, in case you missed it. Take Ghata, for instance, a shapeshifter by both Race and Class who also happens to be a veterinary student. You can trust her animal forms to be accurate."

"I... huh. Okay, not sure what I thought the joke was going to be, but that wasn't it." Justin looked at Ghata, still in the form of a seagull. "I guess just pick a form that's native to the area and that you're comfortable in, and we can knock it out this morning? Should be warmer by then, but if you want to wear fur I don't blame you."

Having a seagull listen intently and nod back at him was an experience he felt that he would never get used to.

The rest of the preparations for the day didn't take long. Todd and Song wanted to check out the Guild Hall, but May felt she may be safer at home... besides it being no place for a newborn child. Abbey led them through the door, made the mistake of blinking, and immediately lost sight of them as they ran to explore the area.

They're adults, and probably a lot more capable than I am of handling themselves. Todd and Song should be fine. Right?

She decided, perhaps unwisely, not to worry about that while she had a list of things to do. The regulation book she had acquired last time she was here was frustratingly vague on the topic of starting up a business. Just that such things existed, State and Federal law had to be followed, and that certain ones had to be back away from the main areas. Probably so the kids didn't get their hands on weapons accidentally. It was time to go searching.

Thing is, Sundays were a much, much busier time at Camp than during the week. Tourists came to get souvenirs or Dungeoneer crafts. Locals came to see friends or look up their Races and Classes. Crafters came to hawk their wares, Delvers came to buy them. People of almost literally all shapes and sizes moved in confusing paths. Half of them seemed to be taking steps in a dance they knew as well as their own name. The other half were randomly flitting to and fro, occasionally crossing paths with those who knew what they were trying to actually do. People cheering at dueling circles and demonstrations, carrying food and water and items which might have been art and might have been horrifying weaponry.

It had been a while, but she couldn't help it. Her own old classes came flooding back to her, planning and charting in her head. Breaking down what she saw and finding root causes, goals, and ways forward. Kind of reminded her of her senior thesis, really. Abbey just had way less ability to make direct change.

Wait. Maybe I actually do.

Her feet took off and her body followed, directly to the left from where she was standing, heading towards the largest permanent structure in the area. One she had gone to before, seemingly half a lifetime ago. It only made sense, really. She needed to ask some questions for Justin anyway, so why not ask to see what the job application looked like? After all, the worst thing that could happen was someone saying "no," including herself after seeing the terms. A man in a blue-trimmed black robe had to jump to the side to avoid her sudden motion. She passed another of those cheering crowds, surrounding a table where a black-winged woman and an Ogre were arm wrestling.

There was certainly activity around the main administrative hall, for much the same reason that she had come there before. That is where press releases came from, where outreach programs ran through, where people could go to feel like they were next to the action. Nobody came out to greet her this time... but then again, Abbey was six feet tall instead of twelve, so she could just go on in. Workers at the front did a brisk business handing out materials and directions to those who needed it, the task of making sure the public kept a high opinion of the Delvers here a crucial undertaking.

One of them, a smiling man in business casual despite the increasing heat, recognized her. This would have been surprising if she didn't stand out among the mostly-Human people being served. "Abigail! Bit busy at the moment, is this official business?"

"Not for the bank this time. Is the job offer still open?"

"If I say yes, will you help me get this bunch to the Artisan's group?"

"Toss in a bit of QnA when I get back and you have a deal." At his thumbs-up, the blue woman turned to corral what looked like two families of mostly Humans, turning and gawking at the strangeness about them, checked her map, and got them going in roughly the right direction. Perhaps it was like herding cats, though she found that the younger kids were eager to get to their destination. Something about their parents promising to get something for their rooms. Abbey was again struck by an odd sense of duality. If this was the coming future for Justin and herself, how would she handle it? Could she even do so? It all seemed impossibly complex, especially when added to what looked to be a fairly serious career of one stripe or another.

There was a lot of chatter around the camp as they went by knots of other people. Apparently a Delver had gone viral over the past day or two while Abbey and Justin were distracted by other matters. Something about leading a small Guild on a foot chase halfway across Seattle to chase down an escaped Dungeon Demon. Cameras all along the route, ranging from traffic cams to people with phones and more curiosity than sense, had managed to capture almost the whole thing. Someone had reconstructed it online into one continuous chase scene within twelve hours. It ended in an ambush at a footbridge near the hospital, closing out the massive threat without a single civilian casualty though the Delver collapsed from exhaustion afterwards.

Wait, that one sounds familiar. I should look up that video later.

No time to give that too much thought for now. The Artisan group was a bit of a cul-de-sac relatively close to the main entry to the Camp. Some kind of feline Beastfolk, half pink and half gold, waved at the group like she was expecting them. "The Smythe family? Hi, I'm Neppy, and I'm glad you chose us to create these pieces for your home!" A striped chipmunk-looking woman worked in the nearby stall to wrap up several small canvases, a plain white cat (animal this time, not a person) was batting at some yarn hanging down from their awning.

The family's joy was infectious. They had driven hours to come here, to see what this life was like and see if they could find some of their children's favorites. A lot like going to a movie set to see a favorite actor, or a theme park to re-live a favorite show. It was real to them, but not in the kind of way those who really lived it might think. Who knows, one of them might join this life later, but the world needed more than Delvers in it. Perhaps they'd sign up to go Below. Perhaps they'd just leave the Status behind, like so many others did. Perhaps they'd use their abilities in their life as they wanted to lead it.

Like, for example, the tall and rather skeletal-looking gentleman in rich purple robes working nearby the path on the way back. Intricate gold braids and amulets secured and decorated them, and his eye sockets glowed with a golden power. The man was cheerily issuing directions to several pallid minions, themselves dressed in working clothes, who in turn were pulling rocks and weeds out of an area. Looked like a Lich, but... different. There was none of the dark air about him, none of the struggle. Heck, he was out in broad daylight. Almost against her better judgment she walked over, the man turning to face her as she approached. On his robe was a badge, showing a windmill and lance. He started rattling off something that sounded Spanish, but caught himself. "Sorry, sometimes I lose track. How are you, and how can I help you?" His accent was a bit odd. Sounded halfway between Spain and France. Whatever caused that, Abbey figured she'd best not bring it up.

"Oh, uh, I'm doing well, and.... not too sure. Just got curious and walked over. I'm Abbey, and your name?" She held out one blue hand, which he reached out to grasp with one skeletal one.

"Vyrlokar. Necromancer with the Caballeros. Luis, Will, and Aldo," he nodded at the well-preserved but corpse-pale bodies, "agreed to keep helping me when they eventually stopped using their bodies. Which happened a couple of years ago, it took some fixing. They're cool, even if the jokes are a bit slower these days." He turned to give a few more directions to them in Spanish, the golden glow of his eyes getting a tinge of green as he did.

"What are you even doing back here?" Abbey's own curiosity was nearly insatiable.

Vyrlokar shrugged. "Neither my friends nor I get bored or tired easily. Or ever. There's a big convention happening here in a few weeks, so we're setting up space for extra stalls and supplies. Marshal Shapiro pays subcontractors well, or we wouldn't be doing manual labor."

"Oh!" She looked around, considering their task for the first time. It made a kind of sense, though not one she had really considered. If the abilities existed to be used, and rest assured that they existed in abundance here at Camp, a nearly infinitely complex set of solutions existed for any given problem. It all just came down to picking the best one for the job and convincing them to apply them. "I see. Um, I hope you'll excuse the curiosity, but..."

"But you're not used to seeing a Lich or a Necromancer in broad daylight, let alone both? Used to seeing us in shadowy corners at midnight?" The words might have been scary, but something about the tilt of his head and green-gold glow of his eyes that made him still sound cheerful.

"Not to be rude, but yes."

"Being undead has its drawbacks, Abbey. Thing is, not really feeling emotion isn't exactly a drawback to someone like me. Back in my day, this was kind of what the medicine tried to do anyway. Can't exactly tan, but I can't sunburn either. Works for me. Now, I do need to get back to work. Been nice chatting, and maybe we can talk again sometime." He turned to give a few more instructions, and Abbey took it as her cue to get back to what she was doing.

One set of questions answered, several remained, and many more got added to the list. Such was life. Or undeath, as the case may be.

She briefly considered stopping for food, but it was a bit early and there were a decent number of gawkers watching as a familiar-looking gray and winged man talked to a couple of squid-looking guys, his guildmates to his sides. It would be easier to get back to the admin building and knock out what she was here for. Eyes on the target, gotta go for it. Finishing a job application, and finding out if her boyfriend's ideas could work.

Should I even be calling him my "boyfriend" anymore? He has Wished upon my soul for a place to live our lives together, if that's not a proposal I'm not quite sure what is. Probably best if I don't mention that thought to him just yet, he's got enough on his mind and I don't want to scare him off.

12
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • Becoming Monsters: I'm Blue 14

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 19 milliseconds