Behind the Lines of the Were War Ch. 04

"Challenged how?"

"Single combat in wolf form. At dawn tomorrow you will meet your first challenger in the challenge circle. Challenges are to death or submission."

Gary sat back and considered this for a moment. "There's more to this, isn't there?"

Derek was starting to respect the insight Gary had, he had picked up on his hesitation. "Yes, all three men lost their mates in the bombing of our former caves. None have shown a desire to move up within the Pack hierarchy, but they won't pass up the chance to tear you apart. They have the right to challenge. Maybe this will help you understand their motivation." Derek used his bond to show Gary the images of Pack life, showing their mates and families, the tearful goodbyes as the men left on patrol. Then he showed them his memory of the MOAB exploding, the power and pain of the lost bonds, and the devastation left behind.

Gary did not blame them for wanting him dead. He would want the same in their position.

"Couldn't I just leave?"

"If you did, the Pack would hunt you down and tear you apart. You've hurt the Pack and you would be under no one's protection. You are only alive now because I gave you protection in consideration for my sister."

"So to live and have her, I need to fight and win. How do I fight in wolf form when I've barely been a wolf?"

"Remember how I said the wolf side of you is instinct? Part of that is how to fight and survive. You will need to trust your wolf to do that for you."

A moan interrupted their talk. They all looked over at the bed, Renee's eyes were open and they were staring at Gary. "Love... you must win. I can't live without you." She shifted her eyes to her brother. "Derek, please help him prepare. For me." With that, she closed her eyes and settled back into sleep.

Amanda went over and lay down next to Renee. "Come on then." Derek walked out and Gary followed him back to the pit. They didn't have much time.

Ten miles west of crash site

Tracking had been difficult, but the dog teams had been able to find enough. They were barking around the rocks below an overhang; protected from the rain, the smell of the dried urine was easy for the dogs to pick up. From the footprints, the were had been here, and now they knew roughly which direction they were headed. The search grid shifted a little north and more troops were landed in the mountains to continue the search on foot.

An entire battalion of infantry and aviation assets was now in the hunt with more coming. The mountains were being surrounded with soldiers and they were closing in. If he was alive, they would find him.

As the patrols bedded down for the night, the drones and aircraft kept up their search. Nothing more had been seen by morning, so they would continue their push west.

Medicine Bow Pack Cave

The wolves on sentry duty had detected the drones shortly after midnight and had returned inside the cave where the infrared sensors could not pick them up. There had not been a time since then when at least one aircraft was not overhead. The challenge would not take place outside.

Derek and Gary had sparred in wolf form for most of the night, pausing only to eat, drink or for Derek to critique what he was doing. Derek was impressed; Gary was in remarkably good shape for what he had gone through, was strong and had excellent reflexes. The physical characteristics and mental toughness he had developed as a pilot helped him stay calm and in control during their sparring. He was able to keep his human side in the game for offense while allowing his wolf to control his reactions and defense. With more training, he would be an excellent fighter.

Derek had been updated through the night on the increased air activity, and during a rest period mentioned it to Gary. "Alpha, can your men describe how the planes are flying?" He checked using the bond, then replied "The drones are flying east-west and the aircraft north-south. It sounds like the aircraft are getting closer with each run."

"Derek, that's a standard search pattern, they are looking for something. Is there any way they could have tracked your pack to these caves?"

"I doubt it, we've been here for days and we have kept the pack hidden for that time. We haven't seen aircraft around since Renee's patrol took out that helicopter." Gary's shock was evident in his face, and it increased as Derek relayed the events that took place after his capture. "Alpha, by now they have figured out that I wasn't on that helicopter. They are looking for ME. Everything they have will be put into this search. They won't stop until they find me and kill you all."

It was time. The two men climbed out of the pit and walked forward to meet the pack at the combat circle.

Cheyenne Air National Guard Base, Main Gate

Linda Remington moved the long red curl behind her ear as she nervously waited for the live feed to start. The news that Capt. Johnson had been captured had shaken the close-knit community of military and civilian alike. She had a more personal reason; during his junior and senior year at the Air Force Academy, she had been his girlfriend. They had broken up after he left for pilot training, the separation was just too much and her budding TV career was too demanding, but they had remained on good terms and she often wondered if losing him had been a mistake. She was inconsolable after seeing the news of his shootdown, and had come to town for his funeral when his status was suddenly changed. Her station manager at KUSA in Denver had called and she agreed to cover the story once the news crew had arrived. So far, she had covered one news conference.

She gave her update from the gate, stopping momentarily as a pair of fighter jets screamed overhead going west.

Combat Circle, Medicine Bow Pack Cave

The pack had roughly divided into two sides as the Alpha and Gary approached the circle. Behind Mike were a number of men and younger women, almost all of whom who had lost family in the last attack. The rest parted as Gary came naked into the circle; both he and Mike turned to face their Alpha as he addressed the pack. "Mike has challenged Gary for the right to mate with our Next Alpha, Renee. This challenge will be to death or submission at the choice of the victor. Do either of you have anything to say before we start?" Mike shook his head no as he paced back and forth. Gary chose to address the Pack.

"This has been a difficult time for me, one that has challenged what I believed and changed me. It is not an excuse, but until recently I didn't recognize any of you as being human. I looked at you like I would an animal carrying a deadly disease, something that must be wiped out so the rest of us could be safe. I used that belief to justify killing not just those fighting us, but your women and children. For that I am truly sorry, and I will understand if you cannot forgive me. I would just like you to know that I am no longer that person who could do these things. Your Alpha has shown me the other side of my actions, and your Next Alpha has shown me a love I don't deserve and couldn't possibly earn. I know that if I die today it will be still not be enough of a punishment for what I have done to you all."

The silence went on for a time, broken only by sniffles and quiet crying. Mike had had enough, he shifted and attacked. His wolf was gray with a single black tip on his ear, and once Gary shifted he saw that he was slightly larger. The first charge was straight at him, a confidence born of underestimation. Gary easily sidestepped the attack and sliced open his right leg with his lower teeth as he darted in. Before Mike could spin around, he had jumped back. Mike ignored the pain on his leg, but was enraged he couldn't even get first blood. His next attack was for Gary's front legs, but Gary was able to jump up out of the way. Twisting his body, he raked his back with his claws before jumping away again.

The fight continued like the brawler vs. boxer match that it was, with Gary using his speed and reflexes to frustrate and counterattack the brute force Mike tried to use. Soon Mike was panting heavily and bleeding from dozens of wounds while Gary was still untouched. Desperation led to a clumsy attack, and the leading shoulder met only air as Gary dropped below the attack and Mike went rolling. Gary was on his feet and attacking instantly, his jaws gripping Mike's neck and cutting off his air. The coppery taste of blood was in his mouth and his eyes shone amber as his wolf nature took over. Mike struggled and tried to claw him off, but Gary kept his weight on him and watched Mike's eyes start to glaze over.

That was when his human side came forward again. Shifting back into human form, Mikes blood still on his face and torso, he let go and sat up. "I find no honor in taking the life of my pack mate. I wish only to return to my mate." He was tossed a towel to clean up as he walked out of the ring, while Doc and Ann tended to the gravely wounded wolf he left on the ground.

Red and Billy approached him as he walked away. "My name is Red, my mate Milly was killed in the caves. I want you to know that I heard your words and accepted your apology. This pack has had enough death, I would like to be able to move on. I am withdrawing my challenge."

"Thank you Red, I am so sorry for your loss. I hope we can be friends at some point."

Billy nodded and said, "You fought well and are a worthy mate for Renee. I care more for her happiness now than my loss. I also withdraw my challenge. You are free to mate."

Gary grinned and hugged them both, relief on his face as they all let go of their burdens and moved on.

Gary returned to Renee's side, she was awake and so relieved to see him. Her brother had refused to open his bond so she could see the challenge. Her stomach was in knots until he appeared again. He dropped by her side. "It's over, my love. Mike is still alive, and Red and Billy withdrew their challenges. We can be together as soon as you can have me." He lifted the blanket, slid in next to her and they fell asleep with her face on his chest and smiles on their faces.

Emily tried to be quiet as she came in with their lunch a few hours later, but Gary's wolf was on edge and he opened his eyes as soon as he came in. She didn't even blush as he rolled over and the sheet exposed his obvious arousal, sex for weres was an open thing. She did think that Renee was going to be a very happy woman. She set the meal down next to the bed and backed out quietly. The disturbance was enough to wake Renee, and her mouth began to water as the smell of the venison reached her.

Gary slowly and tenderly fed her lunch as he filled her in on what she had missed. His apology for hurting her didn't even get out of his mouth before she grabbed him and pulled their lips together. He had already been forgiven.

The tender moment was interrupted by an alarm howl. Paratroopers were being dropped into the next valley, hundreds of them. Their time had run out.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 21 milliseconds