Breaking the Barbarian Ch. 04

"I wasn't going to hurt any of the nuns," Selwyn croaked.

"Instead you killed dozens of Baron Rikard's men. Loyal, brave sons of Etmorra."

"A small price to pay for the good of the duchy. My plan would have drawn out Grozdan, toppled him, put me on the ducal throne."

"And it would have gotten rid of Rikard and the convent: both potential obstacles to you consolidating your rule," hissed another nun.

"What shall we do with this dog?" I said, my hand aching with the desire to lop off his head and see justice done.

"Although he did violate my sanctuary, all of the dead were Baron Rikard's men," said Isidora. "I thus believe the decision should fall to him."

She glanced over her shoulder, to the wrinkled, wispy baron as he limped past his men. The nasty slash upon his leg had already been bandaged by the nuns, but his skin was pale and his eyes were bloodshot. Were it not for the skill of the Sisters of the Blessed Chain, Baron Rikard no doubt would have succumbed to that wound.

"I was at your parents' wedding," Rikard said, scowling down at Selwyn. "I was there when they named you. There at the first tournament you won. I commiserated over cups of wine when we learned of Grozdan's claim. I'd hoped to stand at your side when Grozdan fell."

"It's not too late," Selwyn said with a strained smile. "We can still take him down together. I've made mistakes, yes. I acted with haste but we can seize this new opportunity together."

"And I, on the other hand, will not act with haste. Rather than lop off your head or ask Anvarr to crush your skull, I'll have you placed in chains and taken back to my manor. There you will rot, until we have a good and just duke ruling over us. Then our new ruler will decide your fate."

Baron Rikard's men stepped forward, grabbing hold of the protesting Selwyn. They dragged him off into the night.

As Rikard panted and swayed, I reached out to steady him.

"Gods, I should have known," Rikard murmured. "I thought I knew him so damned well..."

"And I thought I knew my brother," I said. "Sometimes your love for someone can blind you to their faults. There is no shame in such a mistake. The only shame is not making it right." My hand tightened against his shoulder. "Which we will."

I glanced back to Isidora.

"This debacle presents an opportunity. Once we've all had our rest, we can discuss how to finally bring that tyrant down."

**

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 15 milliseconds