Chinaman's Chance

"Well, I'll be damned," Brian responded. "I thought you were a bit pretty for a lad and I got to be worrying about myself. 'Brian,' I said to myself, 'it's a desperate man that's attracted to a lad. It's time you found yourself a woman to marry even if you have to go back to Ireland to find her'."

"You don't have to return to Ireland to find your woman to marry. She's right here in San Francisco and you have already met her. She likes you a lot, too."

"And who might that be?"

"Emma Crabtree."

"Emma Crabtree likes me?"

"She does indeed," I responded. "Of course, you would have to prove your worth to her or she would definitely change her mind. Since she's a widow, you already know she is no blushing virgin. But Emma Crabtree is smart and attractive with a heart of pure gold. I sincerely doubt if you could marry a better woman than Emma and more likely you would marry a worse one, Brian O'Hara."

Brian didn't respond to that, but I know I'd gotten him to thinking. I needed to get a message to Maggie and a safe haven to rest. We gravitated to Mrs. Crabtree's saloon and entered through the back door. I slipped into a storage area and waited while Brian went to get Emma.

"Thank God you're safe," Emma declared when she saw me and took me in her arms. "You're hurt," she gasped when I winced in pain. "What happened?"

"A couple of men grabbed me and I hurt my back in the struggle. It was Brian here who came to my rescue. He was very brave."

"Thank you for saving my friend Jennifer, Mr. O'Hara," Emma said and favored him with a smile. Brian removed his hat and started blushing like a schoolboy.

"It was nothing. Those Chinese will wake up with giant headaches. Uh, Jennifer? I thought he was a lad named Curly. Now she's a lass and her name is Jennifer."

"Never mind that. Go get yourself a drink. It's on the house."

"Uh, thanks. Uh, Mrs. Crabtree, I was wondering if...uh."

"What were you wondering, Mr. O'Hara? Speak up." Brian looked for the exits and I knew it was my turn to come to his rescue.

"I believe Mr. O'Hara wants to seek permission to begin courting you with the prospect of matrimony in the near future."

"Is that what you're hemming and hawing about, Mr. O'Hara?"

"Uh...yeah, what Curly...I mean Jennifer said."

"Then the answer is yes," Emma responded. "You may call on me at a more convenient time. Now leave. I need to talk to my friend alone." After Brian left, she said, "Was that your doing?"

"I plead guilty. I hope you don't mind. I think you two could really hit it off together."

"We'll see," she said with a smile.

Emma's saloon had a second floor, which was unused. It was originally a brothel, but after her husband's death Emma decided to close it down; less revenue, but fewer problems. She said I could rest and recover up there, but I wasn't going to rest very long. I had to get a message to Maggie Hooper. I had to find out if Tom Logan was alive or dead. Would I ever hear from young Bobby again? Oh, I almost forgot. I had to plan my next murder.

I recruited Brian to get my letter to Maggie. I knew I was giving up the location of my hiding place, but it couldn't be helped and I did trust the man. He must have delivered the message before dawn because Maggie showed up around noon and she already had had a busy morning.

"I had just about given up hope when your friend delivered the message. It was very cryptic so I assumed Mr. O'Hara isn't privy to anything, but it assured me you were safe." I nodded in agreement.

"Mrs. Crabtree doesn't know anything either," I responded.

"What happened last night?" After I gave Maggie a rundown of the evening's events she said, "I have good news on my side, too. Tom Logan is alive."

"Thank goodness!"

"He has been unconscious since he was brought in, but they say he must have a strong constitution and a thick skull. I had him removed from the charity ward and into better accommodations. I also engaged a highly recommended physician to examine and treat him."

"Thank you for doing that. I'll pay all his bills."

"I also met your new friend Bobby. He was claiming to be Tom Logan's grandson. He told me to let Olive Oyl know that everything has been taken care of and he'll be there to meet her tomorrow night at the same time. I assume you're Olive Oyl?"

"That's me," I responded with a giggle.

With the exception of worrying about Tom's recovery, I figured I could relax for the rest of the day. I slept mostly. The morning newspaper mentioned a couple of Chinese men found dead with their throats cut, but nothing about dead or missing police officers. I guess the men Bobby hired to dispose of the dead cops knew their work.

I met with Bobby the following evening and arranged for picking up the loot, but this time I had Brian along as a bodyguard. He stayed a discreet distance so I could talk to Bobby in private. I tried to get Bobby to take some of the gold, but he just said that having that much money sitting around would get him into trouble. So I put him on the payroll for two bits a day. He was happy with that, but I planned to do much more for him and his family. Of course, part of the treasure belonged to Tom. Still, there was quite a bit to spread around.

With my knowledge of the future, I wrote out an investment plan. I knew which stocks to pick and hold for long term appreciation. I knew which investments to avoid and which were plain scams. I didn't know which banks would fail, but I did know which banks would survive and prosper into the 21st century. Also how to weather panics, recessions and depressions. If I followed all those rules we would have quite a nest egg. I gave a copy of the plan to Maggie for her to follow in case anything happened to me.

"You're going to be around for a heck of a lot longer than me," Maggie said.

"We don't know that," I responded. "I don't know how much longer my luck will hold. I'm going after Madame Bordeaux next."

"Perhaps you can retire after you kill that bitch?"

"I plan to." After killing the old whore, my revenge would be complete.

Bobby, my new top spy, reported that there was an armed guard posted at the door of Madame Bordeaux's parlor-house 24 hours a day. That was a new addition from what I had been told by Tom. The whore must have been feeling paranoid. I wonder why. I didn't think there was any way I could storm the place. I didn't think there was any way I could sneak in either. Or was there? After all, I had sneaked out of the place. I'd had Chen to help me of course. I would definitely need help to sneak in. I knew of one possibility. I hoped Sarah still worked for the parlor house. I described the woman to Bobby.

"I talked to Sarah away from the whore house just like you told me to," Bobby said a couple of days later. "I told her a gentleman was interested in meeting her, but it couldn't be at Madame Bordeaux's since he didn't want to risk his reputation. She was nervous about it, but when I showed her an eagle piece and said she wouldn't have to share it with Madame Bordeaux or anybody, she said she would do it."

"When is the meeting set for?"

The boy grinned and said, "Right now."

"What?" Bobby led me to what looked like a shabby apartment building. "This is where my mother and sister live," Bobby explained. "I live here too when there's enough food. They're out shopping with the money I gave them. I figure you have a half hour for your meeting."

"I'm surprised you arranged the meeting so quickly. I'm impressed."

"I just told her she had to decide fast 'cuz you were leaving town soon. Didn't give her time to think about anything except the money." I entered the dark, dingy apartment. Sarah gasped when she saw me and stood up from a simple wood chair.

"Jennifer? You're alive? You're not a ghost?"

"I'm alive, Sarah. I'm not a ghost." We embraced like long lost friends even though my previous acquaintance with her probably totaled less than ten minutes.

"Madame Bordeaux told us you and Sammy were both dead. I'm so glad she was wrong. Is Sammy around?"

"Madame Bordeaux was right about Sammy. Gus Brandt shot Sammy on the bitch's orders." I wanted to cry again just saying the words. Sarah sensed that and held me even closer.

"I'm so sorry. I really liked that man. So did all the girls. I heard Gus Brandt got his though. Somebody blew off his head with a shotgun blast."

"That was me," I said.

"You?" I nodded. Sarah looked surprised, doubtful and then fearful in a matter of seconds. "Oh my god."

"I want to do the same thing to that bitch you work for. That's why I wanted to talk to you. I need your help to get back inside. I'll pay you well."

"I don't how I could help you. I would if I could. The boss has been acting real nervous lately, never going out and now I know why. She has gunmen hanging around at all hours. Anybody entering the house gets a real close looking at now. Besides, you already know what a coward I am."

"I'm not asking you to be brave, honey. All I want you to do is for you to keep the window open to your room and then take a small holiday. I'll pay for the holiday and no one will suspect you."

"It won't work," the young prostitute said. "They tore my room apart trying to figure out how you escaped and they found the loose window bars. It's already fixed." Shit! Chen told me he had figured out three or four ways he could enter or exit the house unseen, but he hadn't shared the methods with me. I wasn't interested in knowing them at the time. I thought I had seen the last of that place.

"I guess I'll have to find some other way to get in." I handed Sarah a double eagle. "Thanks for your time. I would appreciate it if you kept quiet about this meeting." The woman was staring at the coin in her palm and I wasn't sure if she even heard me.

"I never expected this," Sarah said as if in shock. "Just how much money do you have?" Sarah's rude question annoyed me. It was none of her business. I remained silent and just stared at her. The woman blushed.

"I have a reason for asking."

"There's more where that came from," I responded.

"There is this woman who might be able to help you, but I'm not sure."

"Tell me," I said.

Sarah gave me the background on the woman she wanted to me to meet. I would have to arrange to meet her myself. Later that same day, I spotted the woman as she left her place of employment and made her way home toward Chinatown. She was elderly and easy to shadow. I had my own shadow in the form of Brian O'Hara. The woman stopped to rest a bit and I took the opportunity to talk to her.

"Good evening," I said. Sarah told me she spoke English.

"Good evening," she returned.

"May I talk to you for a few moments?"

"About what?" She appeared tired and impatient. I couldn't blame her. She had been working for twelve straight hours. Okay, no pleasantries. Get to business.

"I understand the smugglers have been pressuring your family for payment with regard to sneaking your grandson into the country. A hundred dollars, I'm told?"

"A little less now, but not much less. They want my grandson to work in a cigar factory sixteen hours a day to work off debt."

"What would you do for the money to pay off that debt in full?"

"Anything," the woman said immediately. "But I have nothing to offer."

"You work for Madame Bordeaux's parlor house as a maid?"

"Yes."

"I need to get into that place undetected." The old woman looked at me hard.

"I know who you are," she said. "You must be that girl who ran away with Sammy. I thought you were dead."

"Sammy is dead and it was at Madame Bordeaux's instigation. I need to avenge his death." Now that I had been outed would the woman hold me up for more money? Would she betray me to Madame Bordeaux?

"I should do it for free," the woman said.

"What?"

"Madame always cheating me of pay. When Sammy ran away, Madame cut my pay in half because I am Chinese also. Dared me to quit. She knows I cannot. But since you offered me money to pay off smugglers, I accept your offer." She offered me an almost toothless grin. I grinned in return and slipped five double eagles into her outstretched palm. That sealed the deal.

Mary (her English name) said she didn't know of any of the secret entrances to Madame Bordeaux's parlor house that Chen mentioned, but I might be able to get in if I was heavily disguised. Mary had recently injured her hand and she had asked the madam if she could bring in someone else to help while her hand healed. The brothel owner said okay, but she was only paying for one person. I was going to be Mary's temporary help. We arranged to meet and I went back to Maggie's farm to prepare my disguise.

I had had some experience in doing my own stage makeup in high school productions, but this had to be an award-winning job. I still had Chen's makeup kit. I decided to go as an elderly woman or an old crone if you will. Maggie helped me with the wrinkles. Hands and feet were aged. My teeth looked too good so I colored them up with mashed up beets so I looked like a betel nut user. We even rigged up a little hump for my back. Twine looped around my neck and tied to my waist kept me in a stooped position. Baggy trousers hid my weapons. Maggie thought I could pass. I looked in the mirror and hoped it would be enough. It was show time.

My first test was with Mary. Would she recognize me? I stood nearby her for almost for a full minute before I revealed myself. She was impressed.

On the way to the parlor house, she told me how happy her family was to get the smugglers off their backs, but now they were curious and worried about what she had promised in return for the money.

"I told them not to worry and it was none of their business what I promised," she said. "I told them if I die tomorrow, I will die happy."

"I don't want you to get hurt," I responded. "If trouble starts, I want you to leave and go straight home." I didn't want to be worrying about anyone's safety. I didn't know if I was going come out of this alive, but I didn't really care as long as Madame Bordeaux died before me and at my hands. That got me to thinking about Sarah and the other women in the house. They were all innocents in their way. Well, I couldn't think of everything.

Mary told me no one was allowed to use the secondary doors to the building. They were locked and barred. Everyone had to enter and exit through the front door and past the guard. I asked about the bouncer. I had a score to settle with him, too.

"Different one," Mary said. "Jake was friends with Sammy and quit when he heard how Sammy died." That revelation surprised me. How could Chen have been friends with a man like Jake? But then again, why not? No one in this world is perfect. I decided to forgive Jake. My husband would have wanted me to. However, I doubted whether Jake would ever change his ways. One less clown to worry about.

"Good morning, grandma," the armed man said when he opened the door to Mary's knock. "Who's your friend?"

"This is Olive. She help today. Madame say okay." I looked up at him and smiled with my stained teeth and gums.

I mumbled, "Good morning, fuckhead," in Mandarin.

"She say you cute," Mary translated. The man flinched and waved us through.

Madame Bordeaux was a late riser. She wouldn't make an appearance until mid morning at the earliest. It was still plenty early and I made myself useful helping Mary with her chores. The girls who worked there started wandering through in various states of undress. I was told the first clients didn't show until early afternoon. Then the girls had to look their best. I finally saw Sarah. She was staring at me trying to figure out if it was me. I smiled and winked at her. Sarah blushed and looked away. I worked my way over to where she was standing.

I whispered in a low tone of voice. "If Hell breaks loose, you get yourself and the others out of here fast, do you understand?" She nodded and I slipped her some more double eagles.

"This is too much," Sarah whispered back.

"I can't spend it where I'm going."

"Who are you and what the hell are you doing here?" Madam Bordeaux demanded. Sarah and I jumped. We didn't notice her arrival.

"This woman help me today," Mary said. "You say okay. Her name Olive."

I just stood there grinning like an idiot. Enjoy your last hours among the living, bitch! If Madame Bordeaux had seen through my disguise, I just would have pulled my knife and stabbed her in the throat. But I wanted to get her alone with less chance of an innocent being hurt or killed.

"I don't care what her name is," the brothel owner responded. "I saw her hand something to you. What was it?" Now she was talking to Sarah.

"This woman found a double eagle on the floor. She gave it to me." She held up one of the gold coins that I had just given her. "That was very honest of her, wasn't it?" Sarah was a quick thinker.

"Anything left behind belongs to me. You know that."

"I wasn't going to keep it," Sarah protested. She handed the money to her boss.

"No, of course you weren't," the evil woman sneered. "If you find any more money you bring it directly to me. Do you understand?"

Mary rattled off something in Cantonese. I nodded my head and kept grinning.

"She understand now, Madame," Mary said.

"Good. I don't pay you to stand around. Now get back to work and remember I'm only paying for one of you."

"Yes, Madame." The bitch walked to a door, unlocked it and disappeared inside; her office. All three of us breathed a sigh of relief. Sarah gave a little wave and retreated upstairs.

"If I survive this day, I will not be returning," Mary whispered as we returned to our chores.

"You never know. The new owner might be easier to work for," I whispered back. I held out my palm. "Oh, looky here. I found some more money. I should take it to Madame Bordeaux right away."

"Wait until the guard goes to relieve himself," Mary said. "He drinks a lot of coffee to keep awake and he goes a lot. The next guard isn't due for another two hours." It didn't take long for the guard to feel the urge and he disappeared downstairs where the staff commode was situated. I took a deep breath, put on my grin and knocked on the door. I heard the madam say something and I opened the door.

"What the hell do you want?" Madame Bordeaux demanded. I showed her another double eagle. That got her attention and a big smile on her face. "Bring it here." I closed the door and as I did so I dropped the coin along with two more of like value. She gasped and stared as I picked the up the coins. She didn't notice that I threw the bolt. I brought the coins over to the bitch sitting at her roll top desk. A big safe sat to her left.

"Well," the brothel madame gloated, "you must be my good luck charm."

"I don't think so," I said and stuck my pistol in her face. "I think I am more like your worst fucking nightmare, Sally Collins." I pocketed the coins again. The woman's face turned sheet white.

There was a knock on the door and the bitch screamed. The doorknob turned and when it didn't open there was more pounding. So much for my plan for doing a Bond villain type monologue before executing her. Fuck it! I fired two shots at the door. It was a solid oak door and I don't even think the rounds penetrated. Still, it stopped the pounding. I fired high because I didn't know who was on the other side. Even if it was the guard, I knew he was just doing his job. It couldn't have taken more than a second, but the brothel madame was already out of her chair and dashing through a doorway hidden by a curtain. I fired as the door closed. The bullet ricocheted. The door must have been made out of steel.

"Bullet proof," the bitch called out. "I'm not coming out until you're dead. For sure this time." She cackled like the witch she was. There was no way I was going to get through that door short of using dynamite and I didn't have any. I was fucked. Or maybe not. Someone started firing on the lock on the office door, but I wasn't worried yet. It was a sturdy lock and a sturdy door. I knocked away the glass chimney from a gas lamp and touched the wall curtain to the open flame. It ignited nicely. I pulled the curtain down around the door, protecting my prey, and then shoved the desk against the door so it would act as kindling and prevent the bitch from escaping. I was trying to turn her safe room into a death oven.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 55 milliseconds