Christmas Cookies

I just hugged her a little tighter before we continued going downstairs for breakfast.

During breakfast Catherine told her mother and father that she was going into town to speak with her advisor about making up what she had missed during her absence from class. She wanted to know if she had time to finish everything before the end of the semester so she could graduate by Christmas.

Mary said it was fine with her as she needed to do some shopping. I asked to go along as I wanted to buy some civilian clothes so I didn't have to wear my uniform every day. Carl said he was expecting a conference call later in the morning and would not be able to accompany us.

After breakfast the girls went back upstairs to get ready to leave. Since my heavy jacket and cover (hat) were in the coat closet downstairs I didn't have to make the climb up to my room again. Carl asked me to join him in the library while I waited for the girls to finish getting ready.

When we were alone I asked him for his permission to ask Catherine to marry me.

He looked at me and placing his hand on my shoulder said, "I cannot give you my permission to marry my daughter. Catherine is not my property you do not need my permission to ask her. She is my daughter and I love her very much. I want her to be happy and you make her happy. With that being said, Mary and I extend to you both our heartfelt blessing. Welcome to the family, son."

I then told him what my plans were in addition to shopping for clothes and asked him to keep it a secret for a few days.

Just then Catherine and her mother came into the library announcing they were ready to leave. When we left the front steps Charles was there in the drive way with the same SUV we had arrived in the night before. This time Mary and Catherine sat in the rear seats and I sat up front while Charles drove.

Several hours later we were back laden down with all kinds of packages and bags. Carl met us at the door to inquire how we made out with our errands. Catherine explained again to her father just what her advisor had told her. It wouldn't be any problem making up what she had missed and she would be able to graduate on time. Martha relieved me of all my bags of civilian clothes, telling me she would see to putting them away in my room for me. Mary and Catherine excused themselves to put away what Mary had purchased leaving me alone with Carl.

As soon as they were out of the room he gave me a look with a raised eyebrow. "Mission accomplished", I grinned.

Chapter Eleven

Thanksgiving Day was a blur. Both sets of Catherine's grandparents were there as well as Charles and Martha. I was immediately 'adopted' by both grandmas. Finally, Catherine had to rescue me from their clutches.

After dinner the menfolk adjourned to the living room.

"Anybody up for some football?" Grandpa Paul asked. "The Cowboys are playing the Giants right now."

Grandpa Paul and Charles were partial to the Giants while Carl and his father, Grandpa Frank, liked the Cowboys. Me, I wasn't about to take sides and said I didn't really have a favorite. I just like watching.

"Very diplomatic answer", Catherine called from the hall as she entered the room with the rest of the ladies.

The rest of the day was spent watching TV, talking, laughing and telling stories, mostly about Catherine's early years. I even manage to tell a few about myself to take some of the pressure off Catherine. I cannot remember a time when I had so much fun and felt so much a part of a loving family. The next three days flew by and Sunday afternoon the grandparents left for home with promises to return for Christmas.

On Monday, November 28th, a FedEx package arrived for Catherine just after lunch. Charles brought it into the library where we sitting by the fire. As he placed it in front of Catherine, Carl glanced at me and I nodded back with a wink.

When she opened the package she found perfume and assorted cosmetics nestled amongst the styrofoam peanuts. From the very bottom she lifted out a Christmas cookie tin. With a puzzled look she removed the lid tin from the cookie tin. Opening it she discovered a card and two dozen Christmas cookies. OK. They weren't homemade but came from a very good German bakery.

Opening the card she read . . .

My Dearest Catherine

Exactly one year ago today I opened a similar package and it changed my life forever. Today I am hoping and praying to make that change permanent. Catherine, I love you with all my heart and soul. I want to spend the rest of my life loving you.

Will you marry me?

All my love,

Eric

What seemed like an eternity to me she didn't say a thing. Looking down into the tin she saw the velvet covered ring box and removed it from amongst the cookies.

Taking it from her hand I knelt in front of her opening it and asked, "will you?"

Crying, almost uncontrollably, she managed to squeak out, "Yes, oh yes a thousand times, yes!" She threw herself into my arms almost knocking me over and between kisses she said, "I love you so very much, yes, yes, yes!"

By now Mary was crying just about as much as her daughter and I even detected a tear in Carl's eyes. After every one had calmed down some what Mary asked her daughter when she wanted the wedding to take place.

"I can't think of a better day than Christmas Eve", Catherine replied.

"Oh good. That gives us a whole year to plan", Mary said.

"No, No! This Christmas Eve. I don't want to wait a year. I've been planning my wedding ever since I was a little girl. I know exactly what I want. I have it all written down."

"Oh my!" Mary exclaimed looking at her husband. Carl shrugged his shoulders and with a huge smile on his face said, "I'll get out my checkbook."

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 108 milliseconds