Collateral Ch. 20

"Wow, I thought you would be more into making him take the right path. You don't sound like yourself."

"In this matter, my friend," Klaus ran one hand through his hair, "I must say ... I want him to come back because he wants to. This, whatever happened between us, was never real if he does not choose me over that asshole of a brother he has."

"Oh, my ... fuck me," Hans chuckled. "You're frigging jealous! I've never seen you jealous! Frankly, I think Jake should be examined by a team of CERN scientists to see what he carries in that pretty head of his because if he managed to make the Ice Man himself jealous, he might have the keys to some important mysteries of the universe."

"Stop joking. And I cannot be jealous. It is not like he is fucking his brother. Why would I be jealous?"

"So making him choose between you and his family is totally normal," Hans shook his head.

"I do not make him choose."

"My friend, you're a total bundle of contradictions. I'm this close to want to smack some sense into you."

"I think you should refrain from that," Klaus replied sourly.

"Well, it appears that Jake is not the only one with a hot head in all this. Anyway, I wanted to tell you something important."

Klaus examined his friend and pondered.

"You are smiling like the famous Cheshire cat. What did you do?"

"Well, you don't have to be so annoying, but yes, I did something. The most important thing in my life to date."

"Hmm, did you buy a new house? I have yet to see someone with so much aversion for new property. Seeing that I am engaged in real estate businesses everywhere I go, that is a tad unnerving."

"No, something more important than that."

"Hans, you are testing my patience. Just do not tell me that you fell in love, because that I heard at least one thousand times in the past few months. Unless, of course, you were so excited for the new law that has just passed, that you went and did something stupidly romantic like getting on one knee."

Hans's smile widened. Klaus chuckled.

"Ah, you old devil. This is it, right? And what did he say?"

"Actually, I was the one proposed to," Hans said with satisfaction. "And of course I said 'yes'."

"Wow," Klaus leaned against his desk. "So when should we expect the happy event to take place?"

"We both decided that Christmas is a wonderful time of the year to have the celebrations. And you are invited as the guest of honor, of course."

"Have you decided on a place for the event? I would love to offer my house, you know," Klaus spoke.

"That is wonderful news," Hans clapped his hands.

"Yes, it is," Klaus said, and a bit of warmth returned to his voice. "I am happy for you. It was something you wanted for a long time, was it not? And do not worry; I know you just manipulated me into putting my house at your disposal for the party. That means that nor you or Stephen want a thousand people you don't know at your wedding. You know the place is rather cramped."

"It's perfect for what we have in mind. The only thing is, I want to invite Jake, too."

Klaus felt his lips twitching, seeking to form a grimace.

"That would be difficult. The annoying brat is not answering his phone."

"But you know where to find him, right? I expect you to tell him the news," Hans said.

"I do know where to find him," Klaus admitted.

That could be the perfect opportunity. Klaus thought about it. It was worth considering, nonetheless.

"So you are settling down," he said after a small pause.

"Yeah. He's perfect, you know?" Hans said with a small smile.

Perfect. Something usually difficult to achieve. But not impossible. He loved imperfections most now.

"I also wanted to hold you to your promise from our childhood," Hans added.

"What promise?" Klaus asked.

"You know, the joint wedding," Hans said with a small smile.

Klaus snorted.

"That was just something stupid. Plus, I think the twins are already married with children by now. You know they were older than us."

"Joke all you want, but just think about it," Hans smiled again. "Jake seems to be a commitment type of guy. And, just to be sure, you won't have any issues with him straying, if you tie him up properly."

"Regardless of your choice of words, Hans, for me, it would be just a stupid idea."

"Why? You told me you wanted to take Jake with you to Germany."

"Yes, so we can continue what we have begun. But marriage? Sometimes, Hans, I think you know me too little."

"Again, you're contradicting yourself. You know, you're not getting any younger. And Jake, well, he does have a future. He might grow bored with you, and head over to greener pastures."

"And that is how I know you sometimes like talking out of your ass," Klaus shrugged, but a small annoying seed fell and dipped right into his heart. "As I see it now, Jake and I are hanging by a thread. He holds it in his hand. If he chooses to severe it, I have no qualms about it. I am not like you. I do not believe in romantic nonsense, and happy-ever-afters."

"Oh, no," Hans pressed his chest in a theatrical gesture. "The saddened prince decided he could live without love. And then he roamed the earth, trying to rekindle the flame in his heart to no avail."

"Frankly, Hans, you sometimes make me want to punch you in the face. We are not 15 anymore, nor will we ever be again. Jake was more interesting than many others I have met. But he is not the end of the road for me. I am not going to wait for him forever."

"As you say, my friend," Hans shrugged and threw Klaus one shrewd look that seemed to see down right into the bottom of his heart.

That night, he slept like hell. He had not thought about Jake finding someone else. And Hans had to come and just say that. Now, he could not get that stupid idea out of his head, regardless of how hard he was trying.

TBC

*****

Author's note:

Thank you for reading! Only a few chapters left and this story will be concluded. Jake took quite the leap of faith, while Klaus ... he should take one, too, right? Both guys now need to clear their heads. If love is there, it will survive :)

Until next time,

All the best,

Laura.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 31 milliseconds