Danger Zone Ch. 09

"Because I knew if I saw you, I would cave and come home!" Emma shrieked then paused a moment to calm herself before she continued speaking. "I needed to find out who I was before I could come home and be your mate. Otherwise I would have lost myself in our relationship."

Ian ran a hand through his hair "You didn't trust me enough to let me help you through that period. You assumed I would just take over and run your life. Had you told me your fears, I would have supported you while you got back on your feet. That's what mates do."

Emma stood silently, unsure how to respond.

"That's what it comes down to Emma. You don't trust me not to try to control your life and I don't trust that you're going to take off into the night again." Ian sighed.

"I do trust you." Emma whispered.

"Then I guess it's just me that doesn't trust that you're here for the long run."

"Do you..." Emma started saying hesitantly then stopped, her face hardening. "Forget it."

Ian snorted "See you can't even bring yourself to confide in me."

"Fuck you." Emma snapped.

"Exactly."

Emma gave Ian a long look "Is this all we're going to be Ian? Bitter rivals?" She took a deep breath "Is there any hope that we will ever have a normal mating relationship?"

Ian looked out the window to avoid Emma's pleading gaze. "I don't know." He admitted "Maybe?" He took a step closer to Emma, caressing her wet cheek. "Give it time Emma."

"Time." Emma took a step away and returned to her desk, her expression closed off. "I guess that's fair."

"Emma."

Emma held up a hand to stop Ian from approaching her desk "Leave me my dignity Ian. I said I'll give you time."

Ian stood silently watching his mate "Are you coming to bed?"

Emma nodded "When I'm done with this. I need to make sure everything is up to date before I leave for Lily's baby shower."

"Do you want me to come?"

Emma shook her head "No need, it's only for a couple of days."

"I want to go with you."

"No you don't." Emma snorted.

"Yes, I do!"

"Why?"

"I don't need a reason."

Emma's lips quirked as she fought not to respond to the childish statement. "Don't worry Ian, we'll have sex before I leave so everyone knows I'm yours."

Ian growled and turned away. "Fine, keep pushing me away then. I'm going to bed."

Ian prowled past the awaiting guards that had to dive out of the way when he violently threw open the door, muttering constantly under his breath.

When Ian came out of the shower, he found Emma sitting cross legged on the bed nervously biting her lip. He stood half naked in front of her in a soggy towel with his arms crossed as he waited for her to speak. He resolutely tamped down the heat that rose from within as his mate hungrily watched the water drip off his hair and trickle down the front of his chest and stomach. He cleared his throat when her gaze strayed below the line of his towel.

"I'm sorry." She stammered out, her words tripping over one another. "I'm a bitch... in more ways than one." The upward tilt of his mouth at the joke bolstered her courage and loosened her tongue.

"I want you to come because you want to be with me, not because you feel like it's your duty to accompany me." Colour blazoned across her cheeks. "I hate feeling like another check mark on your to-do list."

"What makes you think I don't want to be with you?"

Emma stared at him in stony silence, an eyebrow raised in disbelief. Ian shrugged and turned away "Ok point taken, we haven't exactly had the most romantic of relationships, but that's not entirely my fault."

"And how long exactly am I expected to pay for my mistakes?" Emma asked in a hollow monotone, her gaze shifting warily away.

Ian stopped at the threshold of the bathroom. "Dammit Emma!"

"What?"

"Stop trying to pick fights!"

"I'm not..."

"Bullshit! You think if you push me away enough that I leave you that it will make us even."

Emma's mouth gaped open as the comment struck home.

"See I do know my mate." Ian said sardonically. "How much do you know yours?"

Emma's mouth snapped closed and she clenched her jaw.

Ian disappeared into the bathroom, coming back dressed in black sweat shorts. He knelt in front of Emma sitting on the bed and took a hold of her hands, clasping them between his hands. He placed a gentle kiss on her clenched knuckles and asked her a question. "Do you want me to come to Lily's party? I'd be happy to go with you."

"Why?"

"Why do I want to go?" Ian asked. At her nod, he continued. "Because as much as you think to the contrary, I do like being around you and I think it would do us both well to get away from the voyeuristic eyes of our pack analyzing our every move."

Emma puffed out the breath she held and Ian read relief and a bit of disappointment at his response. He stood up, his eyes hardening and jaw clenching. "I know what you wanted to hear Emi but I have no interest in making myself vulnerable so you can eviscerate me emotionally again." He picked her up off the bed and threw back the covers, putting her back down on the bed and effortlessly divested her of her clothing "You first this time." He pulled the covers back up.

Ian crawled into bed and pulled her stiff body closer into his, feeling her stiffen further and sighed "Relax, I just want to hold you before you leave for next few days." When he felt her slowly relax into his hold he barely contained the snort that threatened to escape 'Glad she trusts me to keep my word.'

He consciously slowed his breathing, burying his nose into her auburn hair and filling his senses with her delicious scent. He was almost asleep when he felt her burrow her nose into the crook of his neck and sleepily whisper "Love you."

He drifted off to sleep with a small smile on his face.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 66 milliseconds