Danny's Dilemma

It was daylight when Greene turned me loose. We only talked for about thirty minutes, but they kept me around for the whole night. I felt like I was at Guantanamo because they kept making me drink coffee. One of the black-and-white cars drove me home. I was a little disappointed, because I was expecting to see yellow tape strung around the house. The place looked like nothing happened. The rock salt didn't even break the siding glass door. I guess Wally got most of it. I figured it would take about an hour to fix the busted railing.

I hit the bed and didn't get up until after lunch. After empting my bladder, I staggered out to the kitchen and found my friendly detective sitting at the table reading the paper and drinking fresh coffee, which I assumed he made while I was sleeping. I had all the coffee I wanted the night before, so I settled for a large glass of OJ, and sat down across from him. I have no idea how he got into the house.

"You are one cool dude, Mister Mercer." He never looked up from the paper.

I didn't know how to respond to that, so I said nothing. I couldn't tell if he was playing with me, or what. He finished his coffee.

"Detective Greene. I need a shower, a shave, and some lunch. I'll buy, unless it's against some sort of police policy."

"Take you time, Danny, I got all day." As I walked to the shower, I was wondering when he slept.

Lunch was two big pulled pork sandwiches. Greene even joined me in washing it down with a beer. Neither one of us said anything, and after a while the silence became overwhelming.

"You are dying to ask me some questions aren't you, Mister Mercer?"

"Funny, but I was thinking the same thing about you."

My detective friend waved the waiter over and ordered two more drafts.

"I spent all night asking you questions. It's your turn now."

"Okay, for starters, where is my wife?"

"We are still holding her. She will be charged this afternoon. "

I finished my beer.

"Your wife's parents got her a lawyer."

I was not expecting that. Now I had a hundred more questions, but the trouble was, that the more questions I asked, the more I risked exposing myself. I decided it was better to back off. It was nice to see that Marcie's family was available for her, because I wasn't going to be there.

"I don't have any more questions, Detective Greene, but if you feel the need to unburden yourself, feel free to start anytime."

He took a big swig of beer and laughed, not loud, but a definite laugh.

"One more thing. You didn't happen to overhear or maybe tape any conversations that your wife had with Mister Williams, did you?"

"I assume you mean Wally?"

That got me a little sneer.

"If I did happen to have such a tape, would you need it?"

"I don't know yet. If things go as I think they will, it won't make any difference, but if one of them gets a good lawyer, maybe."

"If I had such a tape, wouldn't that get me in trouble?"

"You are right about that. I am just trying to make my job easier. I'll see what I can do without having a tape that may or may not exist."

I nodded a little thank you.

"Danny Boy, I think I should take you home. Your boys will be getting back from school soon, and they need their father."

We arrived at the house just as the school bus dropped off Todd and Terry. They walked over to us and I introduced them to my new detective friend. They wanted to see his badge. Everything seemed pleasant enough until Greene leaned forward and said, "Now which one of you built the tugboat, and which one built the monster truck?"

" I built the truck," shouted Todd with his chest out.

"I did the tugboat. Do you want to see it?" Terry was just as proud.

"Maybe I'll get a chance to look at them next time. I have to go now."

He left me standing there stunned, and walked to his car with a big shit-eating smile on his face. The son-of-a-bitch knew about the pink paint. He had my balls in his hand and I couldn't do a damn thing about it.

We ordered a pizza that night. The boys never asked where their mom was. After supper Marcie's dad called and said he needed some help to raise the bail money to get her out of jail. I tried to be as polite as I could be, when I turned him down. I am not sure that he understood what was going on, but at least he was trying to be a good father. I asked him where she was going to stay. He hesitated a little, and then said that she would be staying with them. The boys and I loaded all of Marcie's things in the pickup and dropped them off. We had no trouble gathering everything up.

When we came home, I noticed a U-Haul truck in the driveway at Karen's house. It was gone the next morning.

Marcie never called me. I had to read the newspaper every day to find out what was going on. Nobody told me anything; in fact, it was almost like I was purposely being left out of the loop. There was no trial. Marcie placed all the blame on Wally. Wally claimed it was all her idea. Both of them ended up taking pleas. Marcie got three to five years for conspiracy to commit murder. Wally got five to ten years for attempted murder. Some Federal people were called in concerning the silencer that Wally had with him. They decided to wait until Wally finished his first sentence, before bringing changes. Detective Greene didn't need the tape and never mentioned it again.

Karen vanished, and was not seen or heard from again.

My dad was glad to get his shotgun back, and promised that I could borrow it again if I needed it. He was snickering when he said that. I had Marcie served with divorce papers as soon as she started her jail term. She did not protest anything. I got the feeling that she didn't want anything to do with me, because I hadn't seen her or talked to her since the night I shot Wally. I sold the house and moved back in with my parents. I couldn't work and watch the boys myself. The guys at work were happy to have me back. For some reason, I was offered the chance to change over to the day shift, but I turned it down.

I took the boys up to Muncy women's prison to see their mother every month. I waited in the car, because they usually were there less than an hour. Sometimes, in good weather, the meetings would be outside. I was able to park and watch them through the chain link fence. I never asked them about the visits, and I asked them not to tell me anything. It seemed to work fine for all of us.

Things seemed to be running smoothly until I got the phone call.

"Hello. Is this Daniel Mercer?"

"Yes."

"My name is Angela Hawkins. A detective name Darnell Greene said that I should call you. There are thing that we need to discuss."

"I know Detective Greene, but why would you want to talk to me?"

"Tony Demarco was my brother."

Oh shit. Just when I thought all this crap was behind me, something like this has to happen.

"I don't think that would be a good idea. I am sorry for your loss, but I can't help you." I hung up the phone before she could say anything else.

Two days later, she called again.

"Daniel. I would really appreciate if you could come to see me. There are some things I need to say. Detective Greene said you were a reasonable man."

"Where did you want to meet?"

"I would prefer to do it at the auto showroom, but anywhere you feel comfortable is fine with me."

It took me a few moments to come up with something. "I will meet you Saturday morning at ten o'clock at the showroom. I will be bringing my two sons with me. They like looking at old cars." I didn't know what she had in mind, but I felt safer in a public place, with the boys along. I wasn't using them as a shield or anything like that, but I felt that she would be less likely to try anything if I had them with me. I had no idea what sort or grudge this woman might be harboring. If she was Tony's sister, she must be Italian. If she was Italian, she must be hot blooded. If she was hot blooded, I must be careful. At this point, I decided that I was over thinking the whole thing. I needed a beer.

I called Detective Greene and asked him what was going on. He laughed and told me to meet with her and stop worrying. Easy for him to say, as he didn't kill her brother.

Continental Classics was a big impressive place. In addition to the main showroom, they had two large buildings in the back holding cars needing restoration or waiting for a place on the showroom floor. I was shocked when we pulled up to see that they were having a grand opening celebration. I wasn't expecting that. There were a lot of things I didn't understand.

Terry and Todd seemed to be torn between the cars and the freebies. The first impression was the smell from the popcorn machine. A guy with floppy shoes and a rubber nose was handing out small bags of the hot popped kernels. Off to the side, was a soda machine and another clown with a hotdog cart. The boys wouldn't need lunch today.

It was not too difficult to recognize Angela Hawkins. I knew immediately, as soon as I noticed her walking directly towards me with a slow and determined gait. Everything about her said Italian: dark hair, dark eyes, olive complexion, and broad hips. I guess a gentleman wouldn't have noticed her hips, but they were emphasized by her height: Five feet even, at the most. Tony was enormous and his sister was short, and wide.

I felt myself getting a little anxious as she approached, and then I noticed the smaller sized clone by her side. The young girl looked to be about ten and was the spitting image of Angela, except her hair was a tad lighter, and, naturally, she didn't have any hips at all. It looked like my hostess was covering herself the same way that I did. We were a pretty pitiful pair: both using our kids for security.

As she closed the gap between us, her hand came out in a friendly manner.

"Daniel Mercer, I presume?" It was only natural and polite to take her hand and shake it.

"I always wanted to say that: like in the movie about Doctor Livingstone." She was smiling, but seemed a little nervous, which made me feel a tad better.

I stood there like a mute, so she continued talking. "This is my daughter, Carla." Carla smiled at the boys and I. Todd smiled back politely and said his name, but Terry held out his hand with a grin on his face. "Carla, why don't you show the boys around, while I talk to their father?"

Terry immediately followed Carla to the showroom area, while Todd headed for the hot dog stand. I took that as a good sign.

"We can talk down here, or up in my office: it's your choice?"

"I guess the office would be fine." Those were the first words out of my mouth. As we walked towards the stairs leading to the elevated office, I noticed several of the employees looking in my direction and making comments to each other. Angela noticed also, and smiled at my discomfort. The salesmen on the floor, all wore blue bowling shirts for the opening, so they were easy to spot. Unfortunately, they all seemed to have more of an interest in me, than they did the shoppers. One guy, at the far end of building, gave me a big smile and a thumbs-up. I smiled back, but felt a little nervous.

"Did Detective Greene tell you anything at all about my situation?"

I didn't reply: but I just shook my head to indicate that he didn't.

"I don't want to bore you with my life's history, but I think you need to know a little bit. Tony was my brother and only relative. There is no other family. When Tony died, he did not have a will. Since I was the only relative, I inherited his business. The executor took out a big chunk, but I still got more than I ever expected."

I was glad to see that somebody got something beneficial out of the whole mess. While she was explaining things to me, I noticed that she had pierced ears and wore a wedding ring. There was a small silver cross hanging from her neck, but I had a hard time actually seeing it, because my eyes kept focusing on her cleavage. I just started to remember how long it had been since I had sex, when she interrupted me.

"Mister Mercer? Are you paying attention?" It was a trick question. She was smiling when she asked it.

"I am sorry. I was just admiring your crucifix." I was telling myself to look at her eyes only, and to pay attention, when she punched me in the arm.

"Would you like a beer?"

"That would be a good idea."

There was a mini refrigerator by the desk, and she had to bend over to get the drinks. One minute I was forced to look at her cleavage, and the next thing I knew there was a beautiful butt staring me in the face. She wasn't explaining things to me: just she was trying to seduce me. Maybe it wasn't intentional, but it was damn well working.

She popped the tab and handed me the can, being careful not to bend over.

We each took a few swigs without saying anything.

"Well Ms Hawkins, I am glad that thing worked out for you, but I am not sure why I am here. I should be getting back to the boys, before they start to worry"

"It would be better if you called me Angela. Can I call you Danny?"

"Of course. Are we done here?"

"No damn it. Just sit there and be still until I finish. Detective Greene said you would understand."

I didn't answer. If I kept my mouth shut, she would get done faster.

"Tony was a bastard. He was a no good son-of-a-bitch and deserved to die. As odd as it may seem, I wanted to thank you."

It was trap. That damn detective was setting me up. Was the room bugged or was it her? She could very easily have a bug hidden in her bra. Damn it, I was looking at her cleavage again.

"Are you wearing a wire or some sort of recording device?"

"Of course not. Why would I do something like that?"

I finished my beer, though still not convinced. "Maybe I better go down and see what the boys are up to. I wouldn't want them to get into any trouble."

"Just sit!"

She seemed pretty definite about that.

"There was no love lost between Tony and me. About three years ago, my husband was killed in an accident. He had no life insurance and the guy who hit him had no insurance at all. I had no job skills and a daughter to bring up. Tony was my only relative so I asked him for help. He paid part of my husband's funeral expenses, and that was it. He wouldn't even return my calls."

"You are telling me that his dying was a good thing for you?"

"Yes, and apparently for you as well."

"Maybe we should both be thankful for what happened and let it go at that."

Angela smiled and finished her beer. "You don't want to talk about this anymore, do you?"

I nodded and started to get out of my chair.

"I need a favor from you. You are the only one that can help me."

"What could I possibly do for you?"

"I want you to come and work for me as the general manager."

"Your crazy. I don't know anything at all about the car business, especially fancy cars, like you have down there."

" I know that. I have people to take care of that stuff."

"What do you need me for?"

Angela seemed to be a little nervous. She was looking at her feet and then at the walls. Her eyes were darting around as she tried to put some words together.

"Did you see how my people looked at you when you came up to the office with me?"

"Yes. They weren't smiling."

"They all think that you killed Tony. Not only did you kill him, but you also made a laughing stock out of him when you did it. They were all afraid of Tony. It seems that they are now afraid of you. Their fear is similar to respect. Do you understand what I am trying to say?"

"They don't respect you?"

"No. They are going to rip me off right and left and there is not a damn thing I can do about it. I am not smart enough or hard enough to keep them in line."

"What good could I do?"

"For the most part, just be here. After a while, both of us will be able to learn the business well enough to be able to control what is going on. Until then, I need you to intimidate them."

"I am a nice guy, Angela. That is why Tony and my wife tried to take advantage of me."

She seemed a little more comfortable now. "That didn't work out too well for them, did it?"

For some strange reason I found that funny and actually laughed a little.

For the next thirty minutes, Angela and I talked terms. She had no trouble exceeding the pay and benefits that I was getting at the factory. If things didn't work out, I could always go back. I didn't really want to go back. I wanted things to work out.

Todd was not looking to good when we went back downstairs: too many hotdogs and too much soda. Terry, on the other hand, was having a great time. He seemed to be spending more time talking to Carla than looking at the cars. That was definitely a good sign. Todd threw up in the truck on the way home, and he skipped supper.

I started work that Monday. Things went exactly as Angela predicted that they would. I was amazed at how fast I was able to familiarize myself with the operation. I got close to a few of the employees and soon had eyes and ears on the floor. The blue shirt, who gave me the big smile on the first day, was Glenn's cousin, who was my strongest supporter. Most of the employees wanted the business to flourish and were more than willing to rat out the bad apples. Angela let me handle the firings and I discovered that I enjoyed it. I was truly living up to my reputation.

Detective Greene stopped in for coffee several times, but the conversation was usually light and friendly. I finally got him to open up a little.

"Three years ago, I was a cop down in Philly. One day I came home and found my wife in bed with my supervisor. I beat the crap out of him, right on the spot and threw my wife out. The police department gave me the choice of quitting or getting fired. A week later I had a job here. Before I left, I made sure that the son-of-a-bitch that was porking my wife, got let go also."

I didn't push him for any more information. It was his business. At least I understood why he seemed to be leaning on my side.

The boys agreed not to mention my new job to their mother on visiting days. They made a few remarks about the long drive, but seemed to understand that there was no way out of it. I felt it was important for Marcie to see her sons, not for her benefit, but to allow me to rub salt in the wounds. I know, I know: it is a rotten way to use your kids, but I got some mean pleasure out of it.

Angela and I were spending more time together, at work and after work. One weekend, the boys insisted that I take her and Carla to Knoebel's Grove. Most of the time, we just stayed closer to home.

The living arrangements seemed to complicate any chance at romance. I was definitely interested in a closer relationship with Angela, but it wasn't convenient. I was still living at my parent's house, with the boys, and Angela and Carla had a small studio apartment. Since the business was doing far better than expected, Angela started talking about finding a house to buy. She spent a lot of time on the computer searching for the perfect one. I got my first wake up call, when she explained why she wanted a four-bedroom place.

"Danny, I think it is important that the boys each have their own room. It is better to take care of things like that now, than have to do it over later. Don't you agree?"

Of course, I immediately realized that the question was a set-up. I also figured out that Angela felt that I was more than just an employee. The potential for romance was looking better.

"Yeah, I think that is a great idea. I also think a split bedroom plan would be a good thing to consider. I don't like the idea of them being too close to the master bedroom." I walked out of the office right after saying that, and noticed a small smile on her face. It was a strange relationship. We had never had sex or even got close to it. We had never even kissed, but I felt closer to her than I did to Marcie in twelve years.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 11 milliseconds