Defiance Ch. 14

"Don't lie to me, else I'll hurt you. Understand?" When Tate gave a hesitant nod Christian pressed a slight kiss to the crown of Tate's golden head. "Good, now tell us what you heard."

Long moment's passed before Tate could force himself to speak. He let out a shuddering breath. "You plan to kill the king." He whispered.

"We'll have to kill him." Richard said immediately.

Tate tried to jerk free but Christian's hold tightened. "Don't be absurd." He said dismissively. "Tate isn't going to say anything because he's not that stupid. He knows that no one would believe him. They would think it a desperate attempt to leave me. Furthermore he understands that should anyone ever choose to question me over such a ridiculous allegation I would have prearrange to have his little pet eliminated in the cruellest manner possible." He spun the half-blood to face him and cupped his face tenderly. "Don't you understand all of that perfectly my love?"

Tate's unusual eyes were huge as he gave a trembling nod.

"Good, now go back to you room and close the door." He watched the half-blood thoughtfully before calling out to him as he reached his room. "Oh, and Tate? If I ever catch you spying on me again I'll have that filthy dog you have hidden in there lashed until there's not a scrap of flesh left on its back, and I'll make you watch."

The small man stumbled forward with his hands outstretched. "Christian please, don't harm her!"

"Don't give me any reason to." Christian hissed. "Now get out of my sight."

Richard watched the half-blood with hooded eyes. "We need to get rid of him." He said as soon as Tate had retreated to his room. "He's too dangerous to keep alive now."

Christian felt a wave of irritation at Richard's blunt tone. "He'll not say an anything. He has few enough friends in the palace and no one respects him enough to give any credit to what he says. Besides, he fears risking his tinker."

"If you're wrong my prince," Richard said, staring at him frankly. "It will mean both our lives."

***

"I'm sorry!" Rose whimpered the moment Tate stepped back into the room. She inched around him, wringing her hands and clearly struggling not to cry. "You told me not to spy and I did anyway. He said such awful things, about his own Da!" She took a faltering step towards him. "Did he hurt you?"

"No," Tate said softly, opening him arms to her. She leapt into his embrace and pressed her head against his chest with a small sniffle. "You need to listen to me though Rose. You can't ever spy on him again. I know you were just copying me but I was wrong to have done it myself."

"I won't, but we need to tell someone." She stepped back from him and wiped her eyes with a corner of her ragged grey dress. "You won't let him hurt his Da will you?"

Tate had never felt much love for his father's people, and since his forced servitude to the prince he didn't feel much loyalty to crown either. Despite that though, and despite the fact that the old king was far from a good man himself, he was undoubtedly preferable to Christian.

Tate imagined what would happen if he approached someone with knowledge of Christian's treachery. It was as the prince had so neatly surmised. No one would believe him, and even if someone did they would not take the prince into immediate custardy when all they had to go on was Tate's word. Christian would have ample time to have Rose harmed.

"Rose, we can't get involved." Tate knew he sounded terribly callous to the little one but he refused endanger her to help Christian's father. The king has given his blessing to kill or sell all of Roses people. He was not nearly worth the sacrifice.

There was a fierce pounding outside his door a moment before Christian bellowed his name. Tate flinched inwardly and raised his hand to the little girl to silence her next question. "Stay quiet." He warned before stepping back into Christian's chambers and faced the prince.

"You're accompanying me to dinner tonight." He declared airily. "You spend far too much time in the company of your pet. It will do you some good to be among your peers."

Tate wasn't sure which angered him more, that Christian was so openly mock him by calling them peers, or that he would think Tate might actually be complimented by such an insulting comparison? "I would prefer not to go-"

"And I would prefer for you to do as you're told." Christian said, interrupting him with slightly strained good cheer. "I've clearly been indulging you too much of late. You cannot avoid the court forever." He flashed a humourless smile at Tate. "Your father is there. Perchance you'll get the chance to reminisce."

"Christian, if you wish to punish me then do so but do not pretend that hurting me is anything other than cruelty on your behalf." The words left his mouth easily, as though they were two friends talking about a decent vintage of wine. It was surprising that such words could be spoken with so little emotion.

Christian stepped forward, using his greater height and bulk to intimidate. Tate knew he would fly into violence if he wasn't made to believe that he was the superior of the both of them so he fell back and bowed his head. "I have been kind to you of late." Christian whispered, reaching forward and curling his large hand around Tate's arm. "I have given you the girl and offered you the freedom to walk around unaccompanied, even though we both know you would bolt given half the chance. I have not taken offence when you have clearly tried to antagonise me, and yet despite all of this you still hate me." His grip tightened, causing a shock of pain to shoot up Tate's arm. He pulled the smaller man close suddenly and snagged his fingers through Tate's hair "What must I do to make you love me Tate?" He demanded, turning red and shaking. "What more can I do to make you feel for me as I feel for you?"

"Christian, you're hurting me." Tate strove to keep his voice neutral despite the terror coursing through him. The man was insane and clearly about to fly into a fit. "If you don't want me to hate you need to stop hurting me."

"And what must I do if I want you to love me?" He asked earnestly. Tate lowered his gaze as Christian's cold eyes bore into him. "Well?" He asked softly. "If you tell me Tate, perhaps I could do it for you. Perhaps I can give you what you need." His fingers caressed Tate's face, passing slowly over his bottom lip and lingering there for a time. "Tell me what I can do to make you mine."

He had softened somewhat as his hands caressed slowly over the halflings face and body. Tate was not fooled. He knew that a wrong word from him could push the prince into a rage.

He breathed deeply as he pushed away the revulsion that threatened to overcome him. Christian's hands began to worm their way beneath the fabric of his trousers. "Christian, please-"

"What can I do?" Christian whispered earnestly. "Anything."

Soft knocking at the prince's inner door thankfully interrupted them. Christian growled softly and placed a soft kiss on Tate's head. "Later my love. For now we need to change for dinner." His hand covered Tate's buttock and squeezed painfully hard. "I've chosen the perfect cloth to accentuate your loveliness."

Tate swallowed his protest and stepped into a corner as two serving women hesitantly entered the room. The younger of the two noticed Tate and stared at him for a long moment before the elder gave her arm a fierce shake. She swallowed and approached Tate as one might a wolf. "My lord, I have your clothes here." She held out a pitch black woollen tunic and trousers, scrolled with a sparkling silver thread. They were undountably fine and more expensive than anything else he had ever worn. Tate wanted nothing more than to knock them into the prince's fiery hearth.

"Hurry up." Christian barked and Tate hastily caught the clothes as they were dumped into his arms by the nervous serving girl. Christian seemed to notice then the way she was staring at Tate because a black look crossed over his features. He approached them, his eyes intent on the unsuspecting girl.

Tate threw himself into Christian's path, wrapping his arms around the prince's neck and pressing a hard kiss against the young man's mouth. Christian stiffened for a moment before he responded with vigour.

"What was that for?" Christian eventually asked, a happy smile on his face as he stared dreamily down at the halfling.

"A thank you my prince, for the finery you've offered."

Christian pressed a grinning lip against Tate's twitching lips. "Come beautiful one, it is time to eat."

**

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 539 milliseconds