• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Loving Wives
  • /
  • Dig Two Graves Ch. 03

Dig Two Graves Ch. 03

12345

Preface: This is a fictional story intended for adult audiences. This story is about vengeance and adultery. There is no sex in this chapter.

A few thoughts if I may: In chapter one I had a major typo where ... "Heidi laughed". The laugh was Susie's, Heidi was not present in that scene. That was definitely misleading!

Second: I must apologize for the short chapters (one and two). This being my first submission, I had no idea that so many word pages would condense to so few webpages! I was actually concerned they would be too long! All of you have deservedly mentioned this "shortcoming" and as such I pulled back all the other submitted chapters and have reformatted the story. I'm crossing my fingers that the chapters are long enough.

Lastly: I do wish to thank all of you for your feedback (well, maybe not the anonymous person that said it would be better if I just committed suicide). But seriously even those of you that construct your criticism in a negative fashion have been helpful. This has certainly been a learning experience so far!

There is one additional chapter after this one that has been written but still requires some major chapter reformatting. Plus there will be an epilog that will attempt to tie up a few loose ends.

Sunday 10:31 PM

Braving the cold I step out on the balcony of my hotel room with bottled water from the mini fridge. Having recovered a bit after a shower, I finally have time to do what I do best, and that is to think.

"What planet did my plane land on two days ago?" I wonder. And as I think back over the past fifty hours there are few things that are obvious, and one of those is that I have no idea what is going on.

The dilemma continued early yesterday morning when two uniformed cops showed up shortly after I had my conversation with the Doctor. After a few questions from them I was a moment away from spilling my guts and naming names when my conservative nature screamed at me to keep my mouth shut. Where Susie is decisive almost to the point of being impulsive, I am definitively analytical and contemplative. Susie's quick actions serve her well in a volatile court room and because she's usually on the mark, she is able to seize a moment and unveil the truth. That's nearly the opposite of my character as I dot every "I" and cross every "T". Susie rushes headlong across the battlefield to engage her foe. I prefer to tiptoe and sneak up on them from behind.

"No," I think to myself. "Talking to the police was decidedly not the best thing."

I sure as hell don't want word of what happened Friday night to get out, not with that fucker Schmidt behind it somehow. It's bad enough that I was the talk of the hospital, but they could only speculate on what happened and that Susie was somehow involved. No, I definitely don't want word of this getting out and if I had spilled my guts to the police, I would have lost whatever whimsical control I have."

With a heavy sigh I think about what Susie's involvement in all this may be. With Schmidt involved I am certain that some coercion must be involved. I have to hope that Susie might have been under extreme stress. But while I've seen her ruthless nature before, never have I seen her as vicious as she was Friday evening. She was so angry she didn't even look like herself. There's a lot more behind this than some alleged cheating on my part and I'm certain that it's Schmidt, he's the real enemy here. Susie's just a casualty like I am, isn't she? But what if she's not a victim? What if Susie is deeply involved in all this shit? If that's the case then I can see no way back. And if Susie is part of it, then my decision not to talk to the police was even sounder. Her connections to the police as an ADA might make things worse than they already are.

I reflect back again to my "interview" with the police while in the hospital. What started out as friendly questioning turned into a grilling as my answers were noncommittal. I'm sure they didn't believe me when I claimed I really couldn't recall much from when I got into my car at the airport until I woke up in the hospital. But they did rattle me with their very last question, asking who they should contact to let them know about my situation. I suddenly realized that I didn't have anyone I would want them to contact. As an only child, I had no choice but to call to my parents earlier this evening and that was very difficult. I've been somewhat estranged from my father for more years than I wish to admit. I've really only been on good terms with my mother and apparently that is no longer true. The only person I would have contacted is Susie, the very same person I am least likely to contact now. Susie's situation is quite similar as an only child. I know from our conversations that her father left their household when Susie was a teenager, and Susie has no relationship with her mother at all. The only time I've met her mother was at our wedding. On top of that, I realized I really don't know who my friends may or may not be. I know Susie has already spun her version of the story to my parents. Who else has she been talking to? There are a lot more questions now than answers, at least for me.

Monday 7:57 AM

"Jake, I don't know how to say this," Tom says shutting the door to my office.

I settle back into my chair and look up at Tom Weston, the managing partner of this firm and a long time friend. I motion with my hand for Tom to take any of the seats in front of my desk.

"Unfortunately we don't have time. By protocol you shouldn't even have been allowed to get to your office," Tom adds, barely able to look me in the eye.

"At least tell me what's up," I ask. Given the events of the past few days I already have an inkling.

An emergency HR review meeting was convened yesterday to discuss some recent allegations concerning your behavior and actions. There's a formal HR interview meeting for you at 8 AM.

"This morning?" I sit up surprised.

"Yes."

"And you held a HR review meeting on a Sunday?"

"Jake this is serious shit. The meeting was called by HR given your high executive status within the firm. I'm here as the managing partner of this firm, but I'm also here as a friend. You're in deep shit Jake and you got some serious decisions to make in a very short period of time."

"Where's the meeting," I bristle, rising out of my seat.

"Jake, a warning as your friend, keep your wits about you. Let's go, the meeting is in the Executive Conference room."

Tom leads the way out of my office and toward the conference room. I glance at my watch as see that it's 8:00 AM on the dot and that Heidi is not at her desk. If Heidi is anything, she's punctual. I expected that she wouldn't be in today but that doesn't lessen my need to talk to her.

"Who will be in the review meeting?" I ask.

"Myself and Hinckley of course. I had to appoint Evans as your replacement. Rolanski and Schmidt are the other two."

"Schmidt!" I explode.

Tom winces, risks a brief glance at me and then looks away. "I know he's not your favorite but you know how the procedure works. Hell you practically wrote the Executive HR review process. I don't like this any more than you do."

"I know it like the back of my hand," I think to myself. Quickly I mentally review that five managers or higher are involved. Three of the positions are standing. One is the managing partner which is Tom. The second is the HR executive manager which is Hinckley. The third is the General Counsel position which up to this morning had been my position. The other two slots are appointed on a case by case basis. One is appointed by the HR manager and the other by the managing partner.

"I assume you appointed Rolanski?"

"I'll pretend I didn't hear that so we can remain friends," he responds. Tom puts a hand out and stops me. "You know I shouldn't tell you but I can't let you walk in there completely unarmed. You're going to be offered a severance package to resign. The group as a whole decided the best thing for the firm is to avoid any unnecessary lawsuits or publicity. The best way to achieve that is for you to resign. There wasn't anything I could do to stop this thing Jake. All I could do is make the severance package as sweet as they would let me."

I lean back against the wall. I feel numb. I can't believe all of this is happening. "How did things get so fucked up so fast?" I think to myself.

"Jake, are you OK?" Tom asks concerned.

"No, I'm not Tom. Just give me a few moments."

"You're going to have to be on your toes Jake."

"I'm aware of that Tom, thanks. Give me a minute to get my balance!" That came out a lot firmer than I intended. I look up at Tom and he smiles.

"When all's said and done Jake I hope we're still as close as friends."

"Don't worry about that Tom. OK, let's go."

Tom leads me around the corner and stops for a brief moment outside the conference room door. He glances at me one last time and then opens the door.

I follow Tom in and spot the four people all seating together on the opposite side of the table. Tom took his place at the head of the table leaving the only open chairs isolated on my side. I take the middle chair directly across from Kristy. I look at her and for a moment we lock eyes before she looks down at her hands folded on the table.

I have a great deal of admiration and respect for her. I hired her myself directly out of UT. I didn't even consider a candidate from an Eastern school. I wanted someone familiar with the culture and independent way of Texas life. I developed her as a pet project but to be honest she didn't need much pruning. I know her to be a hellacious colleague and now, sitting on the other side of the table, as a formidable opponent.

"Mr. Vickers," Hinckley starts the review meeting. "You've been asked here as the subject of an Executive HR Review meeting. An interview meeting was held yesterday where the five of us looked at charges of inappropriate behavior and sexual harassment. These are serious charges and against company policy. These offenses are subject to employment termination."

"Sorry to interrupt you," I barge in verbally and not sorry one iota. "But I want him out of this review meeting." I point directly at Schmidt sitting next to Hinckley.

"Mr. Vickers, I'm afraid you don't have any input as to the makeup of this review group."

"You're right, I don't have input. What I do have is a situation where there is known animosity between myself and Schmidt. Everyone in this room is aware of it. In the event this situation escalates into a wrongful termination suit, you've made my case a lot stronger by seating an individual known to be biased."

An uncomfortable silence settles over the room immediately after I uttered the magic three word phrase "wrongful termination suit". I make an effort to look at each of the members of the review panel, excepting Schmidt.

"Ms. Hinckley," Schmidt pipes up. "I'll step aside if the panel would prefer someone else. But I will say on record that while Vickers and I are not the best of friends, I feel the word "animosity" is a bit strong. I also know that I can serve this panel without any alleged bias."

"Is there anyone that feels Mr. Schmidt would be biased in his role on this panel?" Hinckley asks openly.

I glance across the table at Kristy. This time her expression is deadpan as she locks her gaze with mine. This time she doesn't waver and I finally look away. She knows as well as I do that Schmidt couldn't possibly be unbiased. "She's learned her lessons too well," I think to myself. "I can't read her expression at all."

"Then if no one believes Mr. Schmidt will be biased ..."

"I don't believe it. I know it." I interrupt, staring venomously at Schmidt.

"It's already been established that you do not have any input on the makeup of the review panel."

"Fine," I respond. "You may be planning my funeral right now, but rest assured you just dug the fifth shovel of dirt on this firm's own grave."

"Fifth?" Rolanski inquires.

I glance at Rolanski, wondering why Tom appointed him as a member of the panel. As far as I knew he had only been involved in reviews within his own department. He certainly has not been involved in anything this high up the management chain before.

"Don't encourage him," Hinckley warns.

"I want to know why he thinks this is the fifth shovel. What were the first four?" Rolanski insists.

"You held a formal Interview meeting yesterday?" I ask Kristy knowing I would get a straight answer.

"Yes," she replied.

I looked over at Rolanski. "There you are. You shoveled the first four shovelfuls of dirt yesterday when you held a formal Interview meeting without me. I have rights to examine the evidence. I have rights to challenge my accusers. You denied me my rights."

"Jake, you know as well as I do that this is a company and the Bill of Rights doesn't apply to corporations. This isn't a criminal exercise," Kristy chimes in.

"But I still have rights as stated on the employment contract that each and every single one of us signed. And in that employment contract it states I have a right to be in the Interview. I have a right to hear what I am being accused of and I have a right to respond both verbally to the interview committee and also in writing."

"The Executive HR review process does not state that it is a requirement that the subject of an Interview meeting be present," she retorts.

"Isn't it a bit difficult to have an interview without the subject of the interview present? Besides, the general HR discipline model provides that I have the right to see and respond to any allegations. I am both an executive and an employee. I argue that both policies apply. If you review the policies you'll find there are no contradictory clauses. I for one made damn sure of that and it will be interesting to see how a civil court will see it?"

"Jake," Tom butts in. "All this talk of courts and lawsuits is giving me an ulcer. The intent of this meeting is to offer you a severance package. It's a very attractive package given the circumstances if I say so myself."

"Have I been fired?" I ask Tom directly.

Tom looks to Kristy. Out of the corner of my eye I see her shake her head.

"No," he replies.

"Let's see the offer," I respond.

Hinckley slides a portfolio across the table to me. I look at the outside of the portfolio and then pick it up with both hands.

"I'll give this a serious review and get back to you by the end of the week."

Glances are suddenly exchanged among the review panel. "It is our intention that you look at the severance package and make your decision now."

I sit back stunned. Tom warned me that I needed to be on my toes and that I would have to make big decisions quickly.

"Let me understand," I begin trying to stall for time. "You want me to look at this offer now and make a decision immediately?"

"Yes," Hinckley responds.

"I can't possibly do that," I respond simply.

"Then we withdraw the severance offer," she replies.

"Not so fast," Tom butts in again. "Jake, I realize this is probably coming at you like a hurricane. But what if you go back to your office and review the offer. Then meet us at ... say ... noon and let us know your decision?"

"Mr. Weston," Hinckley interrupts. "That's not what we decided yesterday ..."

A penetrating glare from Tom toward Hinckley silences her in mid-sentence.

"Tom," I respond. I appreciate the extra time but it's simply not enough."

"How much time do you want Jake?"

"I told you, at least until the end of the week."

"We can't possibly give that much time ..." Hinckley starts.

"Tom, I haven't had a chance to look at these numbers. I haven't had a chance to see any of the allegations that have been made against me. I haven't been given a chance to prepare any type of response."

"Are you saying you haven't seen the affidavit or pictures?" Kristy suddenly blurts out.

I look back at her. "I hadn't even heard of them until Friday night," resisting an urge to look at Schmidt. "I keep hearing about these damning documents, but no one seems to have provided me with a copy. And I do wish to remind this panel that it has yet to formally present a charge against me."

"The intent is to avoid that Jake," Kristy states the obvious.

"And my intent is to not avoid it. Do you have these documents?"

Kristy glanced at Tom and then back at me. "We have the original affidavit but only copies of the pictures."

"I want copies of both. Strike that, I want the originals of what you have. You can copy them if you wish."

"Jake, we're not handing over the original affidavit. And for privacy reasons we will not hand over the pictures. If we need to have a formal HR Executive review on Wednesday then we'll show you the documents then."

"Keep the pictures I know they are fake anyway. But I want the original affidavit."

"Jake we can't do that," Kristy responds.

"If I'm not provided an opportunity to examine the original evidence so as to prove it has not been falsified, you'll just make my wrongful termination lawsuit all the stronger. I want that original and I require time until the end of the week at least," I add with emphasis. "I'm sure you have several copies of all the documents by now. And if the affidavit is valid, what am I going to do, destroy it? You could just reprint the affidavit and have it signed again."

"Jake, can you give us a moment to discuss?" Kristy asks.

"Sure," I respond, getting slowly up from my chair, a move I'm sure Schmidt didn't miss. "And Ms. Evans," I add.

Kristy tilts her head inquisitively as she always does when I want to make a point to her.

"Trust your judgment and your experience," I state and turn and leave the room leaving the severance package on the table.

I shut the door and lean against it. I can hear the interplay and the arguments. Hinckley and Schmidt are obviously are one side. Schmidt is the obvious adversary. But I've never had an issue with Hinckley before. Why is she being such a burr in my ass now? Tom is on my side and it sounds like Rolanski agrees with him. They are arguing that an extra week won't cause any harm and could in fact avoid even larger legal issues with a wrongful termination suit. Hinckley and Schmidt argue that the company may get hit with a sexual harassment suit at any time, and failure to take prompt action may show the company condones the activity. They claim the company has followed procedure so far and there's no reason not to continue. They also argue strongly against giving me any documents, even a copy. They said I could be presented with the documents at the time of a formal Executive HR review. I heard both sides banter back and forth. I realize Tom's choice of Rolanski is a fortunate one for me. The only voice I haven't heard from is Kristy's. Then for the next minute I can only hear the soft tones of Kristy's voice. I smile to myself. She is at her best being a counselor.

I hear silence and then footsteps. I manage to back away from the door in time to avoid falling when Tom opens the door and asks me to step back in.

I shut the door behind me and approach the table. Kristy appears to have taken control of the panel as she motions with her hand for me to sit back in my chair. I smile and explain that I prefer to stand, choosing not to explain why.

"Jake, we have a counter proposal."

"I need at least until the end of the week."

"If you would hear me out?"

I nod.

"We request you take the severance package with you and give it serious thought. We request you to return Wednesday noon to give us your response. At this moment you are not fired. We have not formally started the Executive HR review. Depending on your answer Wednesday, we may choose to formally begin that process. In the interim, we have decided to put you on administrative leave. Except for when we have asked for your attendance, you are not to be on company premises nor have access to any documents whether paper or electronic. Except," she pauses. "We will give you the original affidavit, but not the pictures. We obviously expect it back. You will see a copy of the pictures Wednesday if necessary."

12345
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Loving Wives
  • /
  • Dig Two Graves Ch. 03

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 56 milliseconds