• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Novels and Novellas
  • /
  • Fire in The Hole Ch. 01

Fire in The Hole Ch. 01

1234

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography, which is currently not updating properly. Stories after Music Box Dancer are: Return To Apple Grove, Media Matters, Swamp Frogs, Man of God, Fathers and Sons, Fire In The Hole.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 1 - Prologue

Thursday, August 16th, 9:30pm. The kennels of the Town & County Animal Services Facility, a.k.a. the Dog Pound, were made of old wood and chicken wire, and they were now burning fiercely. The barking of terrified dogs could be heard amongst the flames.

As I arrived, I noticed that the Fire Department seemed to be in no real rush as they hooked up their hoses. And no one was putting on fire equipment to rescue the dogs.

"Come on!" I yelled as I approached them. "We've got to try to get those dogs out of there!" The firefighters seemed to ignore me. I looked around and saw a fire jacket and mask lying on the ground; its owner had not put the gear on yet.

I acted faster than I could think about it: I grabbed the fire coat and mask and began putting them on as I ran towards the back of the long row of kennel cages. I ran inside the unlocked back door, my flashlight illuminating the narrow passageway in this dark inferno that was literally Hell.

I came upon a cage and threw open the door, the dog inside rushing past me to safety. I went left and right, throwing open cages as I went along... and then I began collapsing. The mask was a gas mask, protecting me from the smoke. The problem was that it was not an oxygen or air mask, and the fire was consuming all the oxygen. I was going to the ground, realizing I needed to turn and get back out...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"The Commander's not coming out!" yelled Lt. Micah Rudistan. The firefighters again seemed to be in no rush to do anything. Rudistan didn't wait: "Let's go get him ourselves!" he said to Johnson.

"Hold on!" a firefighter. "We'll get him, goddammit. But you fucking cops are putting our lives at risk!"

"That's your job, asshole!" yelled another voice, a woman's voice. The firefighter turned on her, only to find that he was facing TCPD Commander Cindy Ross, wielding a green crowbar and aching to use it. "Get in there and get him out!... not you, asshole. I want your badge number! Now!"

The other firefighters finally started moving. Two in air masks attached to tanks went in.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I had managed to crawl forward... not towards the door, but to two more cages. I got them open, seeing the dogs inside run outside. Other dogs were barking in terror; the flames were getting closer.

My vision blurred, and I felt myself falling to my chest on the ground. I wasn't going to make it... and then I felt my arms being grabbed. Two men began dragging me out towards the back door, and not exactly being gentle about it. I felt the rush of cool air as we came outside.

The two firefighters dropped me, but Rudistan and Johnson were there to help me up and half-carry me away from the conflagration to the back of the fenced-in facility.

"I've got him." Cindy said as they took off the fire coat and mask. Patrolman Culver came up with some oxygen, and I breathed it in until I felt recovered.

"Goddammit, save those dogs!" I gasped out, tears in my eyes as I heard the yelps of terror from inside the burning kennels.

"You got some of them, Don." said Cindy, hugging me from behind, and holding me in place. "You did what you could."

At that moment, Chief Moynahan came up. "Commanderrrr, of all the hair-brained---" he growled, then stopped. Cindy was shaking her head vigorously; now was not the time.

"Chief Moynahan!" called out an angry voice. Fire Chief Quinlin was coming up. "Can I talk to you for a minute?----" His voice stopped as all human activity suddenly seemed to cease. The yelps of the trapped dogs got louder, pure fear in their canine cries of desperation.

And then... the barking stopped, seemingly all at once. The only sound in the sudden silence was the crackling of the flames. After a long moment of time seeming to have stopped, the firefighters only now began trying to put out the fire.

Cindy was still holding onto me as I bowed my head between my arms and shed tears for the dogs I could not save. Eight dogs survived... but eleven good dogs perished horribly.

Part 2 - Reprimands

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Fox Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Friday, August 17th, from in front of the Animal Services building, the burned out kennels behind the building visible in the background. "Fox Two News is bringing you continuing coverage of the horrific fire at the County Dog Kennels that killed eleven dogs!"

Bettina: "The cause of the fire is under investigation, and sources tell Fox Two News that arson is suspected. But the hotter story is the rift that has developed between the Police and Fire Departments after Police Commander Donald Troy rushed into the kennels to rescue the dogs! Commander Troy saved eight dogs but was overcome by the smoke and collapsed, and two firefighters had to go in and remove him from the burning building."

"Fire Chief Quinlin has complained that Commander Troy's actions, while brave, put firefighters at risk by forcing them to go in and rescue the Police Commander. However, several Police Officers, including Deputy Chief Cindy Ross, have stated that the firefighters were slow to move, and one Police report even states that the firefighters were not going to rescue Commander Troy until they, the Police, moved to go into the burning kennels themselves! There has been no official comment from the Police nor Fire Departments, nor the office of Sheriff Daniel Allgood."

"In other news," said Bettina, "Governor Val Jared will be in our County on Monday, touting his jobs program as he tours the old Wentworth Tool & Die facility, which is expected to be renovated by its new owner, BOW Enterprises, into a service center. Social Justice groups plan to protest the Governor's arrival, saying that Jared's racism and hatred of women are not welcome in our Town and County, nor on our University's campus, and that his so-called jobs program only benefits the wealthiest elites."

"And also in State news," said Bettina, "the investigation of U.S. Senator Samuel Russell for rape is ongoing. The City's District Attorney's Office issued a statement saying that conflicting testimony of witnesses is making it difficult to make a case that will hold up in a Court trial. Senator Russell's attorney is also filing motions in Court to remove the restrictions upon the Senator's movements. He was ordered to stay in the City, but his attorney is claiming that he cannot be prohibited from traveling to Washington, D.C. to discharge his Senatorial duties. Congress is currently not in session due to the August recess..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Where's the Commander?" asked Joanne Warner as the Detectives watched the newscast in MCD.

"In his office." said Cindy Ross. "He was really affected by the loss of those dogs."

"I know the Commander loves dogs, ma'am," said Roy McGhillie, "but it couldn't be helped. He did what he could."

"All I can say," said Cindy, "is that I was there... and when the barking stopped and everything just went silent, it was one of the most unnerving things I have ever experienced. That just devastated the Commander."

"Are things really bad with the Fire Department?" asked Julia Rodriguez.

"The Fire Chief is pissed with Commander Troy." said Cindy. "And I wrote up a Firefighter for insubordination and dereliction of duty, and referred it to the I.G., so they're going to be even more pissed."

"Why is the Fire Chief pissed at Commander Troy?" asked Jerome Davis. "Because the Commander went and did what the Firefighters should've done themselves?"

"I think that's some of it." said Cindy. "Okay, I think I've said more than enough on that already. Let's get to work.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"You okay, Commander?" asked Teresa Croyle as the Angels meeting convened just before 8:00am.

"I will be." I said, my voice sounding as if it were coming from far away.

"So what is KSTD going to say?" Tanya asked as Cindy turned on the television.

"We'll see." I said. "Let's watch some TV." We turned to the monitor.

"This is Cynthia Freeman, KSTD Five-Alive News in the Morning!" shouted the reporterette at 8:00am, with University Memorial Stadium behind her. "Let's go straight to Diane Williams at KCTY in the City, part of the SNN team! Diane!"

"Thank you all." said Diane Williams, whose age really showed after seeing the younger, prettier Cynthia on our screens. "SNN and its affiliates have learned that the University Campus Police had backup copies of a complaint filed against former Coach Willy Martinez for the rape of Selena Martinez, who was a University student at the time.

"The Police report was erased from the Campus Police servers," said Williams, "and only the backup record existed. The Campus Police did honor the Open Records Act request and provided the report when they found it on the backup servers, and the SBI's Inspector General is opening an investigation of how and why the report disappeared from the main servers. Let's go to Cynthia Freeman on the University Campus for more."

"Thank you, Diane!" shouted Cynthia. "Coach Willy Gonzales, nicknamed 'Speedy', was investigated for being the distributor of PEDs to players in a scandal several years ago. He left here, and later became a coach at Eastern State. He was found dead at Wildcat Stadium before a game between the Wildcats and Eastern State. Commander Donald Troy of the TCPD was at the game, and was asked by local authorities to help with the investigation, but he could shed no light on who the killers might be. Commander Troy did not respond to repeated requests by KSTD to be interviewed or give a statement about the case."

"And in State news," Cynthia continued, "Governor Val Jared will be in this area next Monday, touring the old Wentworth Tool & Die building which is scheduled for renovation. The Governor is also expected to make a speech to a group of Republicans at an event and fundraiser sponsored by the University chapter of the College Republicans..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"They keep pushing the Gonzales thing." said Cindy. "What are they trying to do with that?"

"That was not the most interesting part of the news report." I replied. "Care to guess what was?"

"The only other thing they mentioned was the Governor coming here next week." said Tanya. "So by default, that has to be it."

"True," I said with a wan smile. "But why?" My three Angels were stumped, and admitted it.

"Both KXTC and KSTD made sure to give us details of the Governor's trip, including that it touts his job program." I said. "Not often they give the man they so deeply hate such positive press copy."

"I dunno." said Cindy. "They'll mention things like that, though they usually say his motorcade will be blocking traffic wherever he's appearing----"

*BUZZZ!* *BUZZZ!* *BUZZZ!* *BUZZZ!*

It was my Police iPhone. I looked at it and saw it was Chief Moynahan. "Yes, Chief?" I said, taking the call. "9:00am? Yes sir, I'll be there... yes sir, I'll tell her... yes sir. Goodbye." As I disconnected I said "The Chief wants me and you, Commander Ross, to be at the Sheriff's office in City Hall promptly at 9:00am."

"The thing with the Fire Department?" Cindy asked.

"He didn't say." I said. "But we can observe and deduce that it very likely is just that..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We arrived at 8:55am, and were shown in at 8:58am. Sheriff Daniel Allgood was seated behind his desk and did not get up. There were four chairs in a semi-circle around the front of his desk. The one on the far left (as we approached them) was occupied by Police Chief Moynahan. The one on the far right was taken by Fire Chief Quinlin.

There was one other person in the room, and his presence disquieted me and put me on guard. It was Inspector General Horace S. Wellman. He was seated to Allgood's left, essentially at the side of the desk, pretty much facing us as Allgood was.

"Have a seat, guys" said Sheriff Allgood, trying to sound folksy and 'normal'. Cindy sat to my left and Chief Moynahan's right, and I sat to Chief Quinlin's left.

"O-kayyyy," said Allgood, pretending to look through some papers. "We had a horrible fire at the kennels last night. Looks like arson, too. Unfortunately, we've had some issues come up. Commander Troy, you took a fire coat and gas mask and went into those burning kennels. You saved eight dogs; that was the good part. But the firefighters had to save one Police Commander; that's the bad part... that they had to go in after you, not that they saved you." I remained silent, as did everyone else.

"I think we all understand your actions, and your desire to save those dogs." Allgood continued. "And God knows you've shown you have no fear of any damn thing. But in this case, you exceeded your limits."

I continued to say nothing, even though the Sheriff's pause and his look at me suggested he desired me to speak. As the silence filled the room, he peered at me, then said "Chief Quinlin, why don't you explain your concerns?"

"Yes, Sheriff." said Chief Quinlin. "Commander, my firefighters expressed a lot of dismay that they had to go into those burning kennels after you. Your actions, while brave, put my men at risk, and some of them believe that risk should not have been needed, that it was unnecessary. I know that in the past you've had to be held back from trying to rescue people you've seen in fires."

He was referring to the night Roy Easley was injured, when the Consultant of Crime had had three apartment buildings set on fire. (Author's note: 'Fire In The Embers', Ch. 06.)

"Commander," continued Quinlin, "you wouldn't want Firefighters to arrive at a crime scene and start making arrests. In the same vein, you need to let us do our jobs at fire scenes. And putting yourself in harm's way like that puts my people in harm's way."

"Commander," said the Sheriff, "you do agree that your actions, however brave and well intended, were incorrect, and that you need to let the Firefighters handle things like rescues in fires?"

I could sense what was going on, and seeing the I.G. peering at me just confirmed it. I said with as much calmness and level voice that I could muster: "Before I answer, Sheriff, I want to ask Chief Quinlin one question." I turned to the Fire Chief, looked him hard in they eye, and said "If I had not gone in there, would you have sent any Firefighters, properly equipped, to try to save any of those dogs?"

The Chief didn't flinch. He replied "Very likely not, Commander. The fire was already out of control, we didn't know what was in there. And while my men will rescue humans like yourself, I would not have sent them into that situation just to rescue dogs. The risk was not worth the reward."

I turned to the Sheriff and said "Then no, Sheriff. I do not admit to any wrongdoing, and under the same circumstances, I'd try to save those dogs again. I'd just get an air tank and mask first."

Allgood grimaced. "Okay, then." He looked over at Cindy, who was fidgeting. It was only because I'd cautioned her earlier not to speak until spoken to that she had not said anything to this point.

"Commander Ross," said the Sheriff, "the other part of our issues, and our discussion this morning, is your formal write-up of one of the Firefighters. You accused him of insubordination, which we can debate, but you also accused him of dereliction of duty, which the Fire Chief has an issue with. Upon what do you base your accusation, Ms. Ross?"

"First, Sheriff," said Cindy, now free to speak, "I also referred these charges to the Inspector General, so I'll address him also, since he's here." Then Cindy went through the Firefighter's failure to move upon my instructions, then his failure to move when Rudistan yelled for the firefighters to rescue me.

"Sheriff, I sincerely believe that guy would've sat there and not done a damn thing to help Commander Troy until Rudistan moved to go in there himself. Then the coward started whining that we the Police was putting him in danger."

"Who are you calling a coward?!" yelled Quinlin, his face red with fury. "Who the hell do you think you are to say that about any of my guys?"

I did not hit him with the red crowbar, but I put it to his chest in a manner of restraint. "Chief Quinlin," I barked, "do you see that little red rectangle on Commander Ross's shirt? That means she has earned a Medal of Valor. M. O. V., Chief. And that is who she is, and what gives her every right to judge your man and call him the coward that he is."

"He's right, Quinlin." said Chief Moynahan, before Chief Quinlin could go off on me, which would've resulted in a crowbar beatdown. "Commander Ross's bravery is unquestioned."

"Furthermore to this subject, Chief Quinlin," said Cindy, letting just the right amount of anger creep into her voice, "your firefighters didn't even get any water on that fire until after all the dogs were dead. Their actions were slow at best, inexcusably incompetent at worst. I know not every Firefighter is as bad as those slugs at that scene were; I was there when Easley went in after that kid. But I'm not the only one who saw what happened last night, and I stand by my evaluation of that man. And yes, I'll say it to his face, too... like I did last night."

Sheriff Allgood looked like he wanted to be anywhere else but in this meeting. "All right, guys." he said, regaining control. "Horace, you've got some work to do to sort it all out. Commander Ross's complaint has been made and filed with you. I just want the truth and to know both sides of the story, so go ahead and do a good and full investigation. You can go." Wellman left.

"Sheriff," said Chief Quinlin, "what about Commander Troy, here? I don't think my complaint, which was informal and not sent to the I.G., is fully addressed yet."

"It will be, Patrick." said Allgood. "The Police Chief will be giving his people... all of them... instruction and training on the role of the Police at fire scenes. Why don't you go on out, and I'll talk to these Police Officers, here." Quinlin left, but was not happy.

"Okay guys," said Daniel, keeping his voice calm, "what Quinlin wants is for you, Commander Ross, to retract your formal complaint. Don, don't be surprised if he makes his complaint against you formal, so he can negotiate a quid pro quo to have the complaint against his guy dropped. Ross, how do you feel about letting it drop?"

"I won't drop it, Sheriff," said Cindy harshly, "and I'll grieve it to the Union it if anyone else tries to drop it. The reason is what I said earlier: I sincerely believe that son of a bitch was not going to do a damn thing. He was going to sit there and let Commander Troy die in there, and acted only after Rudistan moved to go in there. No matter what else happens, that kind of failure to do his job is worse than inexcusable."

"Sheriff," said Moynahan, "I have to back my Commanders up on this. I understand Quinlin's point about Don putting himself in danger, but those Firefighters should've had water on the fire and gone in and tried to get dogs out before the Commander even got there. And Commander Ross is correct all the way around; that one firefighter should no longer be serving with the TCFD."

1234
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Novels and Novellas
  • /
  • Fire in The Hole Ch. 01

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 178 milliseconds