Friday is Date Night

We ended up at the table. He actually got me a beer.

"How long have you guys been engaged?"

"About four months. I finally got tired of living with her and forced the issue. Now what is this about you being her boyfriend."

I thought about how to answer that. The fact that July was doing this generated little loyalty, but I had Emily to consider.

"I really think you need to talk to July. But I need to tell you this. Before we came here, neither of us knew you existed."

"Dad, stop being nice." Em snapped, "you don't owe her shit. If he wants to hear it, tell him the whole story."

She turned to him.

"And you, hold your tongue and your temper. As far as I can tell, you're both victims."

To my surprise, he held it in until I was done, although at the end a tear trickled down his cheek.

"I never had the first clue," he almost whispered.

"Nor did I. I can tell you as someone who went through a divorce a couple of years ago, finding out something like this hurts, but you get over it. One way or another."

July pulled in just then. She didn't recognize the car, it was a nice midsize Hyundai I got as part of my promotion.

"Bill, who's car is that....."

It was almost cartoonish. Her eyes went from his, to Emily's, to mine. She had a bag of groceries in her hands. It hit the floor as she screamed.

"Noooo!"

Before we could say anything she ran back out the door, jumped into her car, and squealed tires as she shot out of the driveway. We just looked at each other.

I rose.

"Emily, I think we need to go. You, me, your mother, and Bill here need to do some thinking."

I turned to him.

"All I can do is say I'm sorry. If I had known, we would never had gotten intimate. I will tell you this. Whether you guys work this out or not, I'll never touch her again. Tell her to call ahead next time she visits, so Emily can get her a room somewhere. And tell her not to call me. Ever."

He actually shook my hand. I was a little freaked. This was the most civilized betrayal I had ever witnessed.

I tried to talk Emily into staying, but she just got in the car, looking straight ahead.

About fifty miles down the road she started crying and trying to say she was sorry. I pulled over in a rest stop, unbuckled her and lead her to a table. I sat down beside her and held her as she cried.

After I calmed her we got back on the road.

"I'll move my things out as soon as I can find something."

She had been living with us for the summer. Rose was trying to get her to move in so she wouldn't have to worry about dorm fees. I thought it was a done deal.

"Girl, you better listen closely. What happened is none of your fault. I don't hold it against you. In fact, I'll be hurt if you move out. You'll always be my 'Beach Daughter', do you understand? I'd miss you."

She started crying all over again. I called Rose during a bathroom break, so she would be prepared. When we got home she came out, took Emily by the hand, and disappeared into her room. I didn't fix dinner. We'd order something when they came out.

Three hours later they came out. They both draped themselves over me on the couch.

"Thanks, Dad," she whispered. My eyes got unexpectedly moist. I hugged her a little tighter.

"I'm hungry," I said, "pizza, or Chinese?"

They jumped up, arguing. I had to do a tiebreaker, and Chinese won. Then they had to argue over what to get, and I stepped in and told them to order it all.

"If we have any left, I'm sure your friends will help finish it."

Three of their friends came over later, destroyed the leftovers, and huddled over Em.

.................................................

Bill left July, despite her begging. I never got the details, I was just as happy not knowing. She never came down the rest of their summer, and that fall, when she did, she stayed at a motel. The rift between Em and her never completely healed for years. She respected my wishes and didn't speak to me for a very long time.

I dated some. The girls set me up with one of their professors. We liked each other, but didn't have the first thing in common. It faded quietly away after four months.

Summer came again. One more term and the girls would graduate. They were looking forward to it.

David had finally found a good job. I was happy for them, they seemed so in love. They found a house in the neighborhood. I gave them a little help on the down payment, despite their protests.

They came over just before the fourth for a cookout. They came in, carrying three wrapped presents, grinning like mad.

"Here," Charlie said, "open yours first, Dad."

It was a tee shirt. I just barely read it before my eyes got blurry.

"Worlds' Greatest Grandpa," it read. Rose and Emily got matching ones, "Worlds' Greatest Aunts". The tears started. I took David out on the patio.

"How far along?"

"Three months. It's a boy. William David Grant. Sounds good, huh?"

It did. He was a junior, his son carried the name of both grandfathers.

............................................

I had an interesting meeting at the home office two weeks prior, they were opening warehouses in Georgia and Texas. We had bought out a major competitor, and had to take over their territories. I was expected to oversee all of them, at least temporarily.

After business was over I couldn't resist, and drove by my old house. It had been almost two years since we had split. I was surprised to see Mary pulling in as I drove by. Before I knew it, I was pulling in behind her.

She didn't recognize the car, and was standing there in a familiar pose, head cocked slightly in curiosity.

"Bill!" she exclaimed. "What are you doing here?"

"I had some things to do at the office. How are you?"

She sighed. "Lonely. You?"

"The same truth be told. Look, this was an impulse thing. I was just going to drive by, look at the house. But since you're here, would you like to go to dinner?"

Her smile almost split her face in two.

"I'd love too. Come in, let me get changed. I've got something for you and the girls anyway. I was gonna mail it, but since you're here it'll save me the trouble."

She had redecorated. It was more modern, lighter. I didn't know whether I liked it or not. She noticed.

"I felt like I needed a change. Do you like it?"

I was honest.

"I don't not like it, it's just different."

"Good," she said, "different was what I was going for."

She handed me some keys.

"I changed the locks. My purse got snatched a month ago. It was a pain in the butt to get everything replaced. The cops said I should do this, after all, he had the keys and the address. It scared me so bad I stayed with Marge for a couple of days while the locks got changed. They caught the guy in two days, trying to cash one of my checks. A junkie."

It shocked me.

"Why didn't you tell us?"

"Why? You live two states away, what could you have done? I wasn't harmed, and I didn't want you guys to worry. It's all good now."

Her voice said one thing, her body another. I heard the waver in her voice, saw the trembling in her hands. But she was right, what could I have done?

She changed, and we went to our favorite place in town, an old mom and pop place that served really good food. It had been in business for forty years. It was also fairly inexpensive, something that a young couple on a tight budget could appreciate at the time.

The main topic, of course, was our impending grandparenthood. Her eyes got sad when she talked about missing most of the experience.

"I've offered before, but really, why don't you come down. Rose and Charlie would love to see you more."

"I don't know. I really can't afford to..."

"Stop. You can stay with us. Just let us know when you're coming, so I can run a few girls out."

Her eyes got wide.

"Girls?"

"Yes, Mary. Girls. Young, hot, mostly bikini clad at this time of year girls. Friends of Rose and Emily, I think my unofficial daughter count is up to fourteen now. This is what happens when you live at the beach with a college student and they find out you can cook."

"I don't know, I..."

"Mary! What is the problem? Never mind, let's not talk about it anymore. You'll come or you won't."

We rode back in silence. She offered me a bed for the night, but I declined. She gave me a kiss, on the cheek.

"Next weekend. I'll take a vacation day and come down Thursday. Enough notice?"

I grinned. "I'll degirl the room. Don't worry about driving. Rose will pick you up."

She protested, but I made reservations on the little commuter line, it was almost as cheap as driving.

...............................................

I came home Thursday afternoon to the sound of giggles in the kitchen. Mary, Charlie, Emily, and Rose were cooking up a storm. David, Chuck[Emily's]and Shaun[Rose's} were in the living room, looking trapped. I told them to go outside, I'd be out in a few minutes.

I got a kiss from every woman, then I was banished from the kitchen.

"Meatloaf, hash brown casserole, spinach salad, and brownies for dessert. We'll call you when it's ready."

Mary was grinning, knowing they were preparing one of my most favorite meals.

"Object lessons, boys," I said, when they handed me a beer, "you can probably stop one woman occasionally, two maybe, three not at all, and four, your only recourse is totally surrender or hasty retreat. So smile and say 'yes dear' pretty often, and you'll have a pretty peaceful life."

They came trooping out, bearing dishes. We ate, joked, the kids snuggled, we sipped wine, and a good time was had by all. I got a goodnight kiss by every one of them, including Mary.

She held me for a second, her head on my shoulder.

"Thank you for this. For a little there I felt like we were family again."

I drew back.

"We're still a family, Mary, just with a different dynamic. Thanks for coming down, it meant a lot to all of us."

I lay in bed later, thinking. Did I do the right thing? Was my ego that fragile? Reflecting, I didn't see another end to the situation than the one I chose, so I went to sleep.

.................................................

It became a regular thing, twice a month. The closer Charlie got to her due date, the more often she appeared.

I got a call from her late in the eight month.

"Bill, do you think you could come up this Friday and be here by four? It's really important."

I didn't have anything pressing, so it wasn't a problem.

"I can if you need me, what's up?"

"I've sold the house."

I was stunned. Why would she do that?

"Why?"

"Because my family lives two states away. I know I can't sell without your signature, but we know you're never coming back. This will give your bank account a boost and give me a cushion while I find a place and get a job. Please, Bill."

"Well, sure, if you're positive about this."

She'd told me many times she would die in that house.

"I know what you're thinking, Bill. But it's just a house now, it stopped being a home a while back. I need a fresh start, and to be close to my children."

So Rose and I rode up Friday. She had gotten a decent price for it, in this economy. After everything was taken out, we got ninety two thousand apiece. She followed us back, and stayed with us for two weeks. She wanted to try apartment living, and found a nice condo in a community that catered to people our age. It was a lease with option to buy, for six months.

The girls were thrilled. Mom was back in their lives full time.

I wasn't as thrilled. She would call, tell me she had fixed one of my favorites, and had made too much. Would I like to eat with her?

She would come over, end up staying late, and use the guest room. She needed an escort for a function her new company was having. She really didn't know anyone, could I stand in?

The girls were right there with her, wanting a happy ending for their parents.

I wouldn't admit it, but we were dating. It all came to a head the night Charlie went into labor. It was a hard one, lasting eleven hours. Mary was in the birthing room because Charlie wanted her to keep an eye on David. William David came screaming into this world at three in the morning.

It was four before we left the hospital. I had picked Mary up, and I was just going to take her home with me, but she wanted to go back to her place. I was drooping.

"Come in," she said, "you're drooping pretty bad, I'll put a pot on."

I was really dragging, so I agreed.

I dozed off on the couch. I felt her tug on me. Looking up, I saw she was in a gown.

"Get up, you're snoring. I'm not letting you leave. Come to bed."

I protested, but she cut me off.

"Just to sleep. I'm not offering anything else. Come on, we slept together for over twenty four years. It hasn't killed either one of us."

She kept tugging until we were in the bedroom, where she turned the covers down.

"Come on, let's go to bed. I'm wiped out."

I went down to my tee shirt and boxers, climbed in, and she automatically spooned to me. I wrapped an arm around her, and we were both out in minutes.

................................................

I woke up about three hours later. I had a whole hand full of boob. She felt me stir and pressed back into me. I got hard almost instantly. She felt it, and reached around, easing her gown up. Sometime during the night her panties had disappeared.

After her gown was up, she grabbed my erection, stroking it through my boxers. She found the opening and pulled it out, aiming for her slit.

"Mary," I said, but she shushed me.

"Please Bill, just once. I promise. It's been a long time, hon, since before you left."

The blood flowed South, interfering with rational thought. I slipped in, and all the fight went out of me.

We did it like that for about five minutes, before she rolled over and spread her legs. I lost the shorts, and slid back in. Five minutes later we were going as hard as people in their mid fifties could go. The memories came back, her little squeaks when she was close, the soft keening cry she made when she came, how sensitive her clit was when I stroked it. I came as hard as I've ever come in my life. We were both asleep in minutes. I woke up later to her her climbing on top. I pulled on her breasts and tweaked her nipples, getting familiar groans. She turned around, and I watched her butt bouncing faster and faster. When I knew she was almost there, I smacked a cheek, something she loved. It took her to the edge, and when I slipped a hand around her, grabbing a boob hard, twisting the nipple, she exploded. I was thirty seconds behind her.

She slid into my arms.

"I've missed this baby," she sighed, drifting off again.

.............................................

I woke just before noon to the smell of coffee.

Taking care of business and slipping into my pants, I went into the kitchen.

She was wearing the gown again, under a short robe, humming as she put breakfast on the table, even though it was past noon. She looked up and saw me, holding up her hand before I spoke.

"Listen to me before you say anything. Last night was probably a mistake, but I don't regret it. And I'm not foolish enough to expect anything more. But it was good for both of us, if you'll admit it."

She paused, then smiled.

"And, IF you're willing, I'd like more. Now, let's eat and go look at our grandson."

.................................................

Things were a little awkward for a while. And we started sleeping together once or twice a month. I didn't make any promises, and she didn't ask for anything, but I could tell she was hoping. The girls, except Emily of course, were dropping all kinds of hints.

She talked to me one night while Rose was out.

"I like Mary, and it's plain she wants you back. But I've gotten to know you, and it's never going to happen, is it?"

She was a pretty sharp youngster. I had been giving it a lot of thought. Could we be happy together?

"Not a word to the girls, but no, we'll never remarry. I travel more now than I did when we were married, one or two days a week, sometimes more. There's even more opportunity for her to get bored than before. She may not ever do it again, maybe she learned her lesson. But I learned mine. I'll never trust her again, and without trust, they'll be no commitment."

"You need to tell her then. She and the girls are already talking about the day she'll move in. Don't let it linger."

I got up and kissed her cheek.

"You're my favorite unofficial daughter, have I ever told you that?"

She giggled.

"I better be your ONLY unofficial daughter. I'm having a hard time sharing you with Rose and Charlie as it is. Good night, Dad."

I sat and reflected on my life. It didn't turn out the way I thought it would, but I was content.

I was making more than I ever thought I would, in a position I never thought I'd have.

Seventy five thousand a year wasn't too bad for my age and education. I'd never be rich, but that was all right. The company had gone national, and they brought in some thirty year old with an MBA to be National Director. I wasn't jealous, I probably couldn't handle it. Plus I was closing in on retirement, so I was happy with what I had.

Mary and the girls were devastated when I told them we'd never be together again. I finally got her to understand why, and she pretty much disappeared from my life. We'd see each other at family events, but she kept her distance.

She met a man through her new job. They've been pretty close for a while now. She smiles more.

Rose and Emily graduated and started their lives. It was a little awkward when Emily got married, because I gave her away. July stood with me, but she hardly spoke, even while we danced. I think she resents the fact that Emily became so attached to me over the years, and the unexpected visit that messed up her dual life. The years had not been kind to her. She was still unattached.

Amy and Jerry stayed with the company. They moved to Texas, seems that was where she was raised, to manage the store there. Plans are in place for her to take over my territory and Jerry to take over her old job when I retire soon.

Sweet little Rose took over the old warehouse, using her degree to good advantage. She hasn't married, but dates regularly. Some of her ideas are getting her noticed by the home office, and the hints are she may be moving up soon.

Charlie and David are up to their third child now, all boys. I've gotten little Bill hooked on fishing, and Eric, the middle child is waiting anxiously until he's old enough to go with us.

I've dated some, hooked up some, but nothing serious until recently. One of our biggest customers in Texas is owned by a woman my age, and I took her out on a business lunch. She was a widow. Lunches turned to dinners, and eventually to breakfast. I don't even get a room anymore, she gave me a key to her house.

I like her a lot. She's got a sense of humor, good in bed, especially for our age, and a sense of adventure. I think she wants something a little more, and I'm thinking about it.

The best part is she loves to fish, even owns a boat.

.................................................

As always, thanks for reading, and commenting. I was reminded recently that all my stories are starting to sound the same. I'm working on changing that, MM syndrome, I guess.

Q

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 49 milliseconds