• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy
  • /
  • Give Me the Man Pt. 11

Give Me the Man Pt. 11

Beltan surveyed the assembled Ha'arans. He gestured to the map of the Bekan Basin. "We've marked where thermal imaging indicates there is a human presence. Only ones and twos, and all in places probably chosen to be difficult for the Besa'alans to access. Landing the flyers will be dificult, for us as well. I think your teams are going to have to go in on foot from wherever you can land, and bring the Bekan people out the same way."

"Have you determined how many there are?" said Gerlan.

"As far as we can tell, about forty altogether."

"It always was a sparsely populated area, probably why the Alkonians chose it for their landing site in the first place, but if we're going to bring the Alkonian lander down we want our people out from under," said Gerlan. "Our people will get the search teams as close as possible but the final approaches will have to be made on foot." He turned to Alna and Porl Vellik. "Are your teams ready?"

"They are," said Vellik, and Alna nodded agreement. Gerlan turned to the others, seeing nothing but assent. He nodded. "Very well. The flyers will leave an hour after full dark. Until then, get some rest."

An hour after full dark, and Ardan eased the Terran flier into the night sky and turned the nose towards the Bekan basin. Beside him in the co-pilot's seat, Leara cradled a Terran energy weapon. Behind them were Sana and Peri Ban, also with energy weapons. All four were wearing night vision goggles.

There was a chuckle from Sana. "It's weird seeing everything in green and black."

"You'll get used to it," said Leara. "Without the goggles we wouldn't be able to see a thing."

"How are we doing for positioning?" said Ardan.

Leara looked at the tablet clipped to the bulkhead in front of her. A map of the area was displayed, and the position of the flier was indicated, plotted from Sirius and transmitted to the tablet. There was also a marker for where they were to look for Ha'arans.

"Come left ten degrees," said Leara. "There's a river about a klick ahead. Come left and follow it for another klick, then look for somewhere to land the flier."

A task soon accomplished and Ardan set the flier down on a tiny meadow beside the river. He turned to his sister and Ban.

"You two ready?"

They nodded, and Sana gave Ardan a wry smile. "Yep."

"Okay, then. You know what to do, and the approximate location. Go and bring our people to safety."

"May the Goddess guide you," said Leara.

As Sana and Peri moved off into the darkness, Leara turned to Ardan. "I hope everything goes well, not only for Sana and Peri, but the other teams as well."

"As do I, my love, but all we can do at the moment is wait, and hope all does go well. We shouldn't have to wait too long, I think our people are only about a klick away. For the moment, though, let's take turns looking out for anyone and whoever is not on lookout takes off the night-vision goggles and rests their eyes. I'll take first watch, you tilt your seat back and rest. I'll do an hour, then you take over."

"Okay, sweetheart," said Leara, easing the goggles off and tilting her seat back. Surprisingly comfortable, she thought, but I'll never sleep, then was startled awake by Ardan's touch on her arm.

"Someone's coming," he said in a low tone. "Be ready."

Quickly she reset her seat and took up her energy weapon and goggles, settling the goggles over her eyes, cradling the weapon in her arms. Soon, figures appeared through the trees and she relaxed a little as she recognised Sana, leading the small procession. She counted. Sana, Peri and seven -- no, eight - other figures.

"Any problems?" said Ardan. Sana grinned, shaking her head.

"Only convincing our friends here that being under an exploding Alkonian lander is not advisable>"

"We can come back when it's over?" The speaker was a woman, youngish, lean, short-cropped hair.

"You certainly can," said Ardan, "and we can bring you back in daylight so that you can enjoy the flight."

The woman laughed. "I'll look forward to that, and being free of these invaders as well."

"For now, if you'd all care to climb aboard, we'll take you back to base, check if the other teams have succeeded."

Back at base, there was a buzz of activity. Of the eight fliers they'd had available, six were back, with a total of thirty-five people, and as their passengers disembarked the other two fliers returned, with a further seven Bekan Basin people, for a total of forty-two.

"Observation from orbit shows no other human life forms in the area, only the remaining Besa'alans making their way back," said Beltan. "One group, the furthest out, seems to have some wounded as they're moving very slowly, but even they should be at the landing site by late afternoon day after tomorrow."

"So we have a day, possibly two, to site the missile launchers in places where there are no Besa'alans?" said Gerlan.

Beltan nodded. "Indeed. Possibly best tomorrow night, and camouflage them so that the Alkonians don't spot them from orbit. We'll use four missiles and synchronise the controllers for simultaneous launch, but the optical sights on the controllers will each need to be focussed on the lander."

"So, four to keep their sights on the lander, but only one of them fires the missiles?" said Gerlan.

Beltan nodded. "Exactly."

"Any particular part of the lander to aim at?"

Beltan nodded. "If it was stationary on the ground I'd ask you to aim at the lift engines, on the lower part of the lander. As we're planning on taking it out in flight, we'll be aiming basically at the bottom, the best target area. No need for finesse in aiming, just hit the lander."

Gerlan grinned. "We can do that."

There was an air of cautious optimism in the Ha'arans now, belief in themselves after the initial setbacks in the invasion but none of those in the inner circles doubted that, without the Terran weapons and now, their Terran allies, things would have been much different. They settled for what they expected to be their last night under occupation in a cheerful state of mind. Ardan and Leara, initially planning to find a quiet corner to themselves, settled down with the others, and Sana settled herself next to them.

"I never did ask," she said, "but how did you two get together?"

Ardan laughed. "I stopped a thief from running off with Leara's mother's purse, but the first time we actually met was when I went for my Initiation."

"I was there for testing," said Leara. "That first time we just basically said hello, then a day or so later a thief tried to steal Mama's purse, but Ardan stopped him. Mama invited Ardan to sup with us, and a day or so later we rode out to the Grey Tower together. That was the first time I ever saw the keeta."

"Where are the keeta, they always used to be with you," said Sana.

"We left them on the upper plateau. Nowhere for the invaders to land a flyer, and plenty of small game for them to hunt. When this is over, we'll take you there to meet them. It will be interesting to know if they communicate with you."

"I'll look forward to that," said Sana, "but for now, I for one am going to try to get some sleep. Goodnight to both of you." And she settled herself in her bedroll -- one of the Terran lightweights, Ardan noted -- and closed her eyes.

Ardan leaned across and kissed Lea. "Goodnight, my love."

"Goodnight. Hopefully tomorrow sees the end of this invasion, then at last we can set up our home together."

"Something else to look forward to."

* * * * *

It was dusk the next day when the four missiles were set up ready for launch, spaced equidistantly around the calculated expected debris perimeter, with two Ha'arans attending each launcher. One with the aiming controller, the other ready to arm the launcher when the signal was given. The observers on the Sirius had confirmed that the last of the Besa'alans had reached the landing site, and the Alkonian lander had begun its descent from the Alkonian vessel in orbit.

"Look! There it comes," said Leara, pointing and Ardan could see the Alkonian vessel as it descended slowly to the landing site where the remaining Besa'alan invaders were waiting. Similar to the Terran shuttle in shape, but four or five times as big, it made an impressive sight as it descended slowly, almost noiselessly to the landing site. Anti-gravity technology, Beltan had told the Ha'arans, and armed, so the Ha'arans were careful to stay concealed.

As it approached the ground, landing struts were extended and the vessel settled to the ground. Immediately, hatchways opened and the Besa'alans began to stream aboard. Thirty minutes later, the hatches closed again and there was a deepening hum, felt as much as heard, as the lander prepared to lift off.

Beltan nodded and Gerlan lifted his comunicator to his mouth.

"Missile teams? Arm your launchers. Team one? Stand by for fire command."

Slowly the lander ascended and all eyes on the ground followed it, until it had reached about a klick from the ground and Beltan nodded again.

"Fire!" said Gerlan, and the four ground-to-air missiles left their launching cradles and made a fiery ascent into the sky, quickly reaching their target, almost simultaneously, so that to the watchers on the ground it seemed like one long explosion, and they watched, enthralled, as the lander disintegrated.

"Surely nothing will survive that?" said Ardan.

"We check, when all of the debris has fallen," said Gerlan. "Take no chances."

"The Alkonian ship is preparing to leave orbit," said Beltan. "Sirius is moving to intercept."

Automatically Ardan looked to the sky, not really expecting to see anything but there was a flash in the darkening sky, and Beltan nodded.

"I think, gentlemen, that the unwanted invasion of your planet is over. You can go back to living your lives in peace again," he said, "while we Terrans pay a little visit to the Alkonian home world and rap some knuckles."

Leara had been watching towards where the lander had exploded and touched Ardan's arm. "Look, you can see the debris falling, pretty much where estimated so no-one should get hit."

"We wait until tomorrow before we go and look," said Gerlan. "Tonight, we celebrate."

* * * * *

It took them three days to check all the debris for survivors, but there were none. None of the Ha'arans shed any tears, as their world had been invaded without warning and sympathy for the invaders was non-existent.

Ardan and Leara were sitting with Alna and Gerlan, and Sana, discussing their future.

"Had you remained un-married, Lea, on my death leadership of the Hinazi would have fallen to you, but as you have married out of the clan, as things stand leadership will pass to your cousin, Ellora," said Alna.

"Who will make a far better job of it than I ever could," said Leara, laughing.

"Perhaps, but we'll never know. So, what plans do you have, the two of you?"

"First, to see Fenn Barden, at Polldo Ford, and see about arranging a celebration of our marriage for our families and friends. He promised us that. In the temple at Vilna Station, I think, as that's home territory for us," said Ardan, and Leara nodded cheerfully, turning to Sana.

"Will you stand with me as my bridesmaid, sister?"

Sana grinned. "Absolutely!"

"And I'll ask Jandol to stand with me," said Ardan.

"And after that?" said Gerlan.

"I want to move out into the back country, edge of the Barrens, somewhere we can let the keeta roam free. We still want a simple culture and civilisation here on Ha'ar, so I think I'd like to breed horses, riding and draught both, because while we have the fliers for the present, in time the power cells will die and they'll be useless. Horses can work for us. Plant some crops for food, maybe a milk cow. Start small and build up."

"Then, maybe after a year or so, I'll have my contraceptive implant removed and we can start a family," said Lea, taking Ardan's hand and stretching up to kiss him.

He laughed. "Yes, and maybe start a family."

"First, though, we use the fliers to return as many of the displaced people to their homes as possible," said Gerlan, "and that will take us an eightday or three!"

Actually, it was four, but everyone had been returned to their home, and as many of the animals that the Besa'alans had taken as could be identified had been started back towards home, wherever that was, before anyone could think about themselves. Ardan and Leara were taking their ease, sipping chilled fruit juice, when Gerlan and Dheera came up to them. Ardan stood.

"Father, Mother, good to see you both. Is there something you want?"

"We want to celebrate your marriage, since we couldn't be at the actual wedding. Perhaps tomorrow, we can all go and see Fenn Barden at Polldo Ford and check that he's still prepared to conduct a celebration service?" said Dheera.

"We could use the communicator and ask him, but face to face is better for this," said Ardan. "Lea and I will collect you at what, tenth hour?"

"Tenth will be ideal," said Dheera. "We'll see you then."

"Come on, let's go and see what's being offered for the evening meal," said Leara. "it's much better having someone cooking for us, even if only temporarily."

"Indeed, and it gives me a chance to have a word with Jandol, before the Tanart's Hold people leave for home."

After they'd eaten, Sana came over to see them. "I'm going to steal your wife for a few minutes, brother," she said. "Not for long, so don't worry."

"I won't, don't concern yourself with me," he said and reached for his juice, becoming aware of someone standing nearby. Vella, on the arm of a man in Guard uniform. She had a quick word with her escort, and came over to Ardan.

"Vella, good to see you. How are you doing?"

She grimaced. "Well, I'm not pregnant. My period started four days ago."

"I'm sorry to hear that. What will you do now? Go back to the camp?"

"No, I have news for you." She signalled to the Guard, who came over to them. Vella took his hand and turned to Ardan,

"Ardan, I want you to meet Ran Teelo, a good friend of my late husband. Ran, this is Ardan Tearo, my friend."

The two men shook hands, exchanging conventional greetings. Teelo cocked his head. "We have met before, I think, before Tonal died. You often visited their home when you were younger."

"I did. Well remembered."

"Ran was one of the prisoners we rescued," said Vella. "We've become rather close and Ran has asked me to marry him. I've said yes."

"That's wonderful. Congratulations, Ran, you're a lucky man."

"I'm the lucky one," said Vella. She took a deep breath, and went on, hesitant. "We seek a favour from you?"

"Ask, and let me consider it."

"My parents are dead," said Vella. "At our wedding, will you give me away?"

Surprised, but pleased for his friend, Ardan didn't hesitate. "I would be honoured."

"Where's Leara? I want to ask her to be my bridesmaid."

Ardan pointed. "Over there, with my sister, Sana."

"Come on, Ran, and meet Ardan's wife."

"Before you go," said Ardan. "Lea and I are arranging a celebration of our marriage, since no-one from either family was at the actual ceremony. I'd like you both to be guests."

"I would be honoured," said Ran.

"As would I," said Vella.

"I'll let you know where and when when it's settled," said Ardan. "And I think Lea's coming back.

She was and rejoined Ardan, smiling at Vella, nodding at Ran.

"What have I missed?"

"Important news," said Ardan. "Vella will tell you."

"Leara, I would like you to meet Ran Teelo, an old friend of my late husband. Ran was one of the rescued prisoners and we've become rather close. So close that Ran has asked me to marry him and I've said yes. Will you be my bridesmaid?"

Leara's face lit up and she reached out to hug Vella. "Yes! Of course I will, just let me know when and where."

"As soon as we know ourselves. Ardan has agreed to give me away, since my parents are both dead."

Leara laughed. "It's time he did some useful work instead of whizzing around shooting invaders."

"We'll get ourselves away now," said Vella, "we have others to see, but thank you both."

"We are very grateful," said Ran, then led Vella away.

"Something else to look forward to," said Leara. "I'd much rather be worrying about weddings than fighting alien invaders."

"That's for tomorrow. We need to take my father and mother to see Fenn Barden at Polldo Ford. I think we should take your mother, too."

"Definitely."

At the tenth hour next day, Ardan and Leara, Gerlan and Dheera, and Alna, set off in the Terran flier on the relatively short journey to Polldo Ford, arriving shortly after midday. All six of the Polldo people greeted them. Fenn Barden stepped forward.

"I suspect you come to ask me to make good on my promise to conduct a celebration service for your wedding?"

"Indeed we do. I'd like you to meet my parents, Gerlan and Dheera Tearo, and Leara's mother, Alna Asolan."

"Well come, all of you. Please, let us sit and discuss this."

An hour later, it had been arranged. On Lastday, in three days time, Fenn Barden would conduct a celebratory service at midday in the Vilna Station temple. The flight back to their temporary base was cheerful.

"I must contact Jandol, to ask him to stand with me," said Ardan. "now that we have a date and time. Here, Lea, take the controls, please. I'll do it now." Lea slipped into the command seat and Ardan reached for the communicator. Twenty minutes later it had been agreed. Jandol would stand with Ardan. Not only that, but Velna, Dran and Hani would attend the celebration as well.

"We should ask Tor and Kira as well," said Lea as she brought the flier down to land.

"Yes, we should," Ardan agreed, "and that's everyone who was involved in distributing the Terran weapons invited."

Leara laughed. "I think I'm almost as nervous as I would be if it was my actual wedding."

"Which it is, in a sense, because this time our families will be there."

"Yes, and only a couple of days to go."

Days which passed quickly, and on Lastday Ardan stood, with Jandol at his side, beside Leara, who had Sana at her side, before Fenn Barden, in the chapel at Vilna Station. Barden greeted them with a smile and a wink.

"This will take a little longer than your actual wedding," he said, then addressed the congregation. "If you would all rise, please?"

Discussing it afterwards, Ardan and Leara agreed that somehow they felt more married.

"I think it was because our families were there, and our friends, sharing the occasion with us," said Leara as they relaxed after the ceremony.

"I think you're right," Ardan agreed. "Our marriage at Polldo Ford was almost too hurried for us to appreciate it, even though all of the legal and sacred aspects were covered. Barden was right, there is a lot of pomp and froth in the usual ceremony for guests to appreciate that they were attending something significant. Still, it's over, love, the invaders are gone, and we can start our new, peaceful life as a married couple."

"Amen to that!"

"And we have Vella's weddings to attend."

"So we do. Life goes on, despite the invaders efforts"

"I hope the Terrans spread the word. The people of Ha'ar do not submit lightly to invasion."

"No, we do not!"

* * * * *

And there we'll leave our happy couple. Working out how and where to end this story has caused a bit of head-scratching and I'm aware that it's a tad abrupt, but carrying on into the minutiae of everyday life didn't appeal. For better or worse, my tale is told. As always, constructive criticism is welcomed. Please vote, too. Go on, it's only a couple of mouse clicks!

  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy
  • /
  • Give Me the Man Pt. 11

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 203 milliseconds