• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonHuman
  • /
  • Halfbreed Ch. 02

Halfbreed Ch. 02

123

Lorena

I wake up the next day to see the sun shining through my curtains. It's a beautiful, dry morning and, as I eat my breakfast, I have an overwhelming urge to feel the sun on my skin. So when Amanda shows up to help me open the store, I tell her I am taking a few hours off to work in the garden.

I spend a little time cleaning up one bad patch of a stubborn little crawler, then stop. These gardening gloves are scratchy! I stand up, contemplating going down for my other pair, and see a man leaning against the door, watching me. I let out a little yelp of surprise, before realizing who the invader is.

"I am sorry if I startled you..." he says, pocketing his phone and pushing away from the door.

Just as last night, his words are apologetic but his voice and demeanor do not show any contrition at all. He seems amused if anything.

"You need to stop apologizing when you do not feel sorry Mr. Stewart."

The words are out of my mouth before I know it and I blush. Why am I being rude to this man? His overly self assured manner irritates me for some reason.

He blinks, looking slightly taken aback by my reply, but amusement still glints in his eyes "Please call me Liam... and I really did not mean to startle you."

I'm a little put out by the invasion, but man... is he ever a sight for sore eyes! Wearing light colored khakis and a soft, white, button down shirt, with the two top buttons left open and sleeves rolled up to his elbows, he looks like an ad for men's casual. I usually have a problem with men in loafers, but even they look good on him! His hair is still in the low ponytail and I notice it looks black, even in the sunlight.

"How did you get up here?"

"Your assistant let me in." he stops by my side.

That was a little irresponsible of Amanda, what if he turned out to be a creep after all?

"You seemed very absorbed in your work. I decided to wait for a natural pause instead of interrupting you."

I can't help but smile "That was kind, but you are lucky these are not very comfortable." I wave the offending gloves in his direction "Normally I could go for hours without a 'natural pause'..."

"I came to see about setting up my equipment, as we talked about last night..."

I had been so excited by the idea of a morning gardening in the sun, I completely forgot about him. Surprisingly, since he was present in at least some of my dreams...

"Sure. I guess it's my turn to apologize. I got carried away by the sun and forgot about you..." I try not to blush while looking directly at him "Feel free to have a look around. I'm afraid I can't help you at all though, I know nothing about photography..."

"I would like to set up a tripod over there." He says, walking towards the side of the garden facing the bay. "If it would not be in your way..."

This is where most of the potted plants live. He should be able to easily find a spot for his things.

"Sounds good. You will not be in my way at all. I have to tell you though, the neighbors' cat likes to roam around here. He broke one of my little pots the other night... I don't know if he could interfere with the equipment..." I still feel sad about my little potted violets.

"Not your cat then..." he says strangely, then smiles slightly at me "I'm sure the cameras are too heavy for him to do any damage... If you really don't think I'll be in the way, I'll go get the stuff out of my car..."

"Nope, feel free..."

Still smiling a little, he saunters through the door and down the stairs.

I wonder if this means he will be coming here often to check on his equipment?

He comes back with a multitude of bags, drops it all on the floor, close to his chosen spot, and starts setting up what looks like very sophisticated equipment. Hobby huh?

Not really in a mood to garden anymore, I pick up my tools, take all the clippings to the compost bin and wash my hands, then walk towards him, trying to decide if I should stay up here until he is finished.

"Have you lived here long?"

All right. Safe small talk. I can do that. I hope!

I clear my throat a little to find my voice before answering.

"A little over three years. I moved here from Seattle to open my store."

"Quiet little town. Don't young people usually move away from these little towns as soon as they are old enough?"

Oh-key... Did he just call me 'young people'? How old is he?

"I always liked it here and hadn't really anything keeping me in Seattle... So when this house came up for sale it was perfect."

"You don't mind the quiet then?"

"Not really... I don't think of it like that... and Seattle is just a ferry ride away when I do feel the need for more..." Do I get to ask questions? "What about you? Where do you call home?"

He thinks on it for a second. "New York, mostly..."

"Oh... mostly?" That's a strange way to put it...

"I travel a lot. New York is more like a base than home..."

My cell phone buzzes on top of the table, just as I am trying to think of a way to find out if he is available. It's a text from Amanda, she needs me down at the store to approve some items that just arrived.

"I have to go down help Amanda..."

"I just need another twenty minutes or so... I'll see you downstairs?"

--

Mrs Yates is still with me when he walks through the doors a little while later. She makes the most beautiful hand painted silk scarves. I feel privileged to have them in my store and, not surprisingly, they sell very well. I try really hard to focus on the story she is telling me - something about her grandson who has gone to college - but get distracted as Liam moves towards my work station.

"You have other business to tend to. I will leave you in peace dear." She gives Liam an up and down look and winks at me "I will see you again soon." We hug and she goes on her way.

Oh my, it would seem not even Mrs. Yates is immune!

Liam is examining some of the pieces on my table when I walk up to him. I feel a little more comfortable here, surrounded by my tools and the furniture I chose so carefully. It is like he is in my territory, so I am safe.

"These are beautiful." he points to the set I am working on right now. I am quite proud of it myself. Having finished a necklace and earrings, I am half way through a cuff bracelet in the same style. The stones are bold and the delicate, lacy, silver-wire work compliments them perfectly. That is how I feel at least.

"I like the contrast. The way the metal balances the stones..." He says pensive and I melt a little. He gets it.

"Thank you. That was the idea." I blush and smile, like a mother who has been told her baby should be the next Gerber Baby.

His disconcerting eyes follow me as I move around my table and that tingling in the back of my neck intensifies, as if caused by his scrutiny.

After a moment he says "Well... I am all set, up there." pointing to the ceiling "Thank you for letting me do this." He hesitates for a moment, as if he is thinking about saying something else.

"It's no problem..." I offer.

He looks at me for a little longer. What is it?! I am afraid I will really start blushing if he keeps this up!

Seeming to change his mind, about whatever he was about to say, Liam gives me a little nod "Bye then Lorena... I guess I will see you tomorrow."

Weird... "We open at nine." I say, just to avoid him knocking on my door at seven in the morning or something.

He chuckles "Got you."

--

I reach for another tissue before closing the book I just finished reading. This was a tear jerker! I knew it was sad, I knew it would make me cry. Still, it's such a beautiful story! Once I started reading it, I could not put it down.

It's almost two am though! What was I thinking?! I should go to bed right now, Fridays are busy days, and I have a lot of work to do. Now I will not only be tired in the morning, I know the lingering sadness of the story will stay with me. I need to re-read Pride and Prejudice urgently! Jane Austin's wit, and Elizabeth and Darcy's happy ending will wash away the gloom left by poor Lou and Will.

My mind is filled with thoughts of Liam, unexpectedly. Wow! What brought that up!? OK, the guy is sex on legs. And, by his manners and way of talking, one can tell passion would not be lacking. He is just so intense! Even when he was just making small talk, that feeling of... coiled energy, never seemed to go away.

Despite my claims to the contrary, I did notice he didn't come today to check on his cameras. Much to Amanda's annoyance, as she had made a bet with me. She is convinced he wants to ask me out on a date. I have no idea why! The guy is polite, sure, but men like him are just not interested in the 'small town jewelry maker' type.

A noise upstairs startles me out of my reverie. That bloody cat again?!

Maybe I should scare him, throw some water or something, to stop him from coming here? What if the stupid animal toppled all that expensive looking photography stuff?

Ugh... I better check, just in case.

I put my coat on and grab the baseball bat my brother gave me. The idea of a burglar here is almost ridiculous, but I like to have it in hand anyway.

It's cold! The steps feel like ice, even through my socks. Why didn't I take the time to put some shoes on?!

Another noise reaches me just as I put my key on the door to the garden. Sounds like someone walking! I hear a scary, hiss-like sound and the cat screeches. Good lord! Cat wars in my garden?! Maybe there is a mouse after all!

Opening the door slowly, my grip firm on the baseball bat, I step out... and find Liam perched on top of the picnic table.

I jump in surprise, letting go of the door, to hear it close behind me with a bang.

"Please, don't scream!" he says calmly.

My breath is caught in my throat. That is probably the only reason why I don't let out a scream anyway. What is he doing here!? And how on earth did he get up here?! The door was locked!

"I am sorry... I didn't mean to scare you..." he gets down from the table, with his hands out in front of him, in a pacifying gesture. At least, this time, he really seems to be sorry.

"What the hell are you doing here?!" I sound all squeaky. Should I run? Call the police?

"I didn't have a chance to come check on my stuff during the day..."

"Couldn't it wait until morning?! Jesus! I almost had a heart attack!" I am still shaken, but more in control now. Enough to be pissed off, and to actually see him.

His long hair is loose, flying around a little in the breeze. He is wearing a pair of low riding, black cargo-like pants and nothing else. Despite everything, I swallow dry at the expanse of bare chest, abs and muscled arms in front of me... God almighty!

The diffused, yellowish light from the street lamps bellow gives his smooth skin a darker glow. Everything looks as good as I thought it would...

"I am sorry... I... just arrived back in town, and couldn't sleep... so I decided to come and have a look at my stuff."

"How did you get up here Liam?"

He hesitates for a second "Have you heard of parkour?"

I blink at him, par-what?! Then I remember seeing a program about it on TV. "Oh... those people that jump around on the street? You do that?"

"I do." he says, leaning against the table and crossing his arms over his chest. He seems very calm, but it doesn't fool me. This sounds like such a bunch of crap... I get the impression he is making it up as he goes along.

But how else could he have gotten up here? And he does look strong enough to go up a wall. Those arms... Good lord! I better look away before I start drooling!

I walk to the edge of the garden and look down. It seems way too high for that kind of thing... but what do I know? "Where are your clothes? And your shoes! You must be freezing!"

"It's strenuous exercise... keeps me warm."

Do I detect humor in his voice?

I look at him again. He is watching me, a mysterious little smile on his face.

"Something amusing you Mr. Stewart?"

He shakes his head "You are an intriguing woman Ms. Clarke..."

What?! "I find you, half naked on my rooftop, in the middle of the night, and I am the intriguing one?!"

He barks a laugh "You weren't supposed to find me. I had hoped to be up and out of here without disturbing your sleep. But that stupid cat actually jumped on my back!" he holds his hair out to the side a little, and turns half way, so I can see a pair of deep scratches on his left shoulder. I also get a glimpse of his flexed abdominal muscles, and my breathing hitches without my consent.

Trying to look unaffected, despite the blood thundering in my ears, I say "Oh... those could get infected..." then I hesitate, for only a moment, if he was a 'bad guy' he would have already done something by now. Right? "Come down to my apartment with me, I will clean those scratches up for you."

Liam inhales deeply and turns back to me with a look of, I don't know... Hunger? Longing? It makes my mouth go dry again. Hmm... maybe this is not such a good idea? But those scratches do look painful.

After a second he looks away "Don't worry. It's just a little scratch..."

"You are bleeding. Cat's claws are terribly dirty. I would feel bad if you got an infection..."

"Aren't you afraid of letting a stranger into your home, in the middle of the night like this?"

I lift my baseball bat and give him a raised eyebrow "I am hardly defenseless. One untoward move and those little scratches will be the least of your worries."

He chuckles again, shaking his head "I promise to behave then."

Oh if he only knew... I am beginning to wish he wouldn't behave at all!

--

Crap! I haven't really thought this through...

I am a little unsure about what to do, its warm in here, but I am only wearing a big t-shirt and panties under this coat! After a second's deliberation I decide to take the coat off anyway, The old t-shirt is big enough to cover my thighs, and hardly the epitome of sexiness or temptation - specially when paired with my Hello Kitty socks, like now.

Liam sits on my little armchair, while I gather some gauze, antiseptic, ointment and band-aids. His presence seems to fill my whole apartment. Everything looks so small around him... Luckily I have kept the place tidy this week. There are no bras or dirty dishes about.

He looks a bit gloomy, like he is not completely happy about being here. His eyes follow me around unnervingly.

"Here we go..." I bring everything to my coffee table and hand him a hair tie.

"You really didn't need to do this. It's not even your cat..." he says while tying his mass of hair into a low ponytail.

"You have so much hair! It's beautiful..." I say softly, without thinking. Ugh... I seem to do that a lot around him "This might sting a little."

I make quick work of cleaning the wounds, then spread some antiseptic cream on it with my fingertips.

Oh... the sudden urge to just run my hands over all of his exposed skin is almost overwhelming.

There are two dark lines tattooed on his back. They curve in, from the top of his shoulder blades, all the way down, almost to the low waistband of his pants. Strange...

I think my fingertips linger for a little too long, betraying my rather lustful thoughts, because Liam lets a breath out and moves his shoulders slightly. When he looks at me, his pupils are dilated. We are so close, I notice for the first time the delicious scent of his after shave or cologne. Good god, even his smell is gorgeous...

What am I doing?!

I try to snap out of it. Pretending to be very absorbed in covering the deeper parts of the scratches with a couple of band-aids.

"There you go... that should be enough to keep you from a horrible death by infection." I am afraid I sound a little breathless, but I can't help it.

"Thank you." His voice is quiet now, it sends a little shiver up my arms.

"Be right back." I walk away from him, to wash the sticky ointment from my fingers and to try to catch a full breath of air into my lungs.

When I come back to the room he is standing by my bookshelf. His head tipped to the side, reading the titles of my books.

"You have very eclectic taste Ms. Clarke..."

I blush "Well... I like to read, almost everything. Do you read?"

He looks at me with a smile "Yes... I do like to read, mostly non fiction though, history. But I will read a novel once in a while."

"I stayed up to finish this one tonight. That's why I was awake..." I point to the book laying on my couch. There is a small pile of tissues by it. Ops... I guess not so tidy after all.

"Is it good?" he picks it up to read the back.

"It's very good. But it's kind of a romance novel, not really your thing, I would think."

"Can't say I have read any... maybe I should try?"

"Hm..." I shrug "You are welcome to borrow it, if you want... You probably wont like it though, so don't feel bad about bringing it back unread."

He thinks on it for a moment. Everything he does around me seems to take a lot of deliberation. It's weird.

"OK..." his beautiful blue eyes study me again, and my heart seems to have trouble keeping a steady beat.

What am I doing!? Talking like this, with a half naked man I barely know, all alone in my apartment, only the little coffee table in between us, in the middle of the night!

I am half naked myself!

After another moment of what looks like deep pondering, he seems to make a decision "You have been very helpful, Ms. Clarke... maybe you will let me buy you dinner? As a thank you..."

Wait. Is this his way of asking me out? Is that what all the thinking was about?! Even though Amanda claims to have seen it coming, It still catches me completely by surprise.

"Oh, you don't have to do that... It has been no trouble at all."

He lets out a little rueful laugh. "OK. Let me try to rephrase that: I would like very much to take you out to dinner Lorena. Are you busy tonight?"

"Thank you, but I already have plans for this evening..." I don't know if I'm feeling relieved or disappointed, to tell the truth. But it's probably for the best. I'm just way out of my league here.

"Next week then?" he replies immediately "I am busy this weekend, but you can pick a day next week." and, all of a sudden, his eyes go really intense. Almost daring me to say no. "Any day, Lorena."

Jeez... I can't really escape that now, can I?

He is obviously not used to being denied and some mischievous part of me feels an urge to say no again anyway, just to show him. Besides, how does he know I don't have a very jealous boyfriend or something?

Regardless, I find myself agreeing meekly "Uh... OK."

I laugh a little, this whole situation is so weird! Oh well, it looks like I'm going on a date.

"I am free next week, I mean... maybe Tuesday?"

Liam smiles fully at me for the first time ever and the air seems to go thick. I can't breathe properly. That smile is a weapon of mass destruction! Too dangerous to be walking around freely like this. "Tuesday it is. We will talk again before then, to decide on a time."

"Sounds like a plan..." To my dismay, I sound breathless.

He walks slowly around the coffee table towards me, until he is standing within arms reach. Moving some loose strands behind my ear, he then watches his fingers as he runs them down the length of my hair, capturing the ends of a curl in his hand.

It's such an intimate gesture! I am paralyzed. I can do nothing but watch his beautiful face. A battle seems to be happening behind his striking eyes, as he looks at his fingers, playing with my hair.

123
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonHuman
  • /
  • Halfbreed Ch. 02

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 49 milliseconds