Her Heart, His Prey Ch. 04 Pt. 1

"To your eyes, I am only twenty-four. In reality, I've been around for about ninety," he told me, his gaze unmoving as he looked at me expectantly. It was as if he were waiting for me to freak out.

I tried not to gape. "Wow, you've been around for quite a, um, while haven't you?" I couldn't quite stamp all the nervousness out of my voice and he smirked at me, obviously amused at my attempt to remain stoic.

"My turn," he said suddenly.

"No it's not!" I retorted. Now he was cheating.

"Fine, I'll give you this one, but only because I'm such a nice guy," he conceded, nodding to himself at his own joke while giving me a sly grin.

"You're terrible," I laughed, surprised at how easy it was to just talk to him. "Anyway, my next question..." I thought for a moment. "I guess I want to know how my parents got involved with the vampires in the first place." It wasn't a question, but he didn't tease me about it. In fact, his face grew very pained and tired looking. I considered just asking something else.

He sighed. "I don't know the specifics of what happened, but I do know most of the story." I nodded, waiting for him to continue. "David told me that about the time you were born, your mother grew very ill. She was still pregnant with you and when they took her to the hospital, they weren't sure she was going to make it." I sat, leaning towards him as I was enraptured at hearing this new part of my past I had never been told. "The doctor told her there was a way to save both her and you, but it would be costly and very dangerous. Your mother and father agreed to it without question. That night your mother was healed with vampire blood." He looked at me, frowning when I didn't react. I tried not to notice how kissable those lips were, and forced myself to focus.

I stared blankly at him. "I don't think I'm following you. Is it bad to do that?"

He nodded, his face grim. "It's a very bad thing. Vampire blood, even with its amazing healing abilities, sets the person who it heals off from the rest. Not only is there a visible indication of your contact, but the taste of the person's blood becomes like ambrosia for vampires."

"Oh my god," I whispered. "So that's why my mother... and then me...?" The room went fuzzy for a moment before returning to normal. My whole life they'd been lying to me. It was hard to digest at first.

Cassian nodded. He took my one hand in his, holding it tightly. "Your mother and father didn't know what they, or the doctor, did until two vampires showed up at your home a couple weeks after you were born. The contract they created included your father because he was part of the actual event, but you and your mother were forced into it because of the taste of your blood, although they couldn't take from you until you were at least eighteen."

"So if drinking a vampire's blood is all it takes for it to taste like that, then why don't they just give it to everyone?" I asked him, my brain still functioning, but overwhelmed immensely.

"It takes certain circumstances, I'm told, such as the human being close to death, or something along those lines, and not everyone survives anyway when they are given it. David is unaware of these factors as well. The Alphas wanted to keep it between the Alpha council," he finished. Noticing my expression, he grew worried. "Are you okay? I'm sorry, that was a lot." His thumb ran reassuring circles over the back of my hand.

I nodded stiffly. "Yeah, it's just... wow." I wanted to change the topic to a less morbid one. "Anyway, it's your turn."

"Is it now? Hmm... what do you do with your life?" I could almost cry at the complete turn of conversation. Half of my life seemed so normal and the other, well, let's just say I wasn't going out partying anytime soon.

"I'm a photojournalist for a magazine I've been reading since I was a child so I end up travelling a lot, especially to places in Europe and Africa. I've been taking college courses online because I can't really settle down in one place too long, but I had friends that worked for the magazine who helped me to get a steady job with them." I paused, watching him watch me with what seemed like rapt attention. "What does everyone think happened to me anyway?" I asked in a small voice. This had been nagging at me since I thought of my old life.

He grimaced, holding my hand gently with his. "They think you've gone missing."

"I guess that happens every so often then, doesn't it?" I asked him, not being able to keep the accusing tone from my voice.

He looked down, releasing my hand as if it burned him. "We aren't proud of it, if that's what you think. We don't relish knowing that we've taken someone's life from them, but it's too risky to do otherwise. If our secret were to get out..." he took a deep breath. "There was an incident a few years ago, a were from a different pack nearby found his mate. She was so resistant to the idea of becoming like us and leaving behind her life that she fled and went off telling everyone that she was kidnapped by a pack of wolf-people." His voice was monotone, but I could see the emotion, the despair welling in his dark eyes.

"What happened?" I murmured. I didn't realize it then, but I had reclaimed the hand he had moved, tracing the lines of his palm with a finger.

"Most people didn't believe her, of course, but there were a few people who did. When he went after his mate, trying to bring her back and talk some sense into her, a small band of hunters followed him. When they saw him with the woman, they shot and killed them both." As he spoke, tension practically rolled off of his body. His eyes were haunted by the memories. "Please don't leave!" he said suddenly, his voice strained. His hands grabbed my upper arms and there was a frantic look in his eyes. They began to shift colors again.

"You knew him, didn't you?" I asked him after a moment of surprise. My one hand gripped his arm and he loosened his grip.

Cassian's eyes dulled and he nodded solemnly. "He was my best friend."

My heart plummeted, and I couldn't help but share in his sadness. "I'm so sorry," I murmured, knowing it would do no good but wanting him to know it all the same. He seemed suddenly very lost, a lost wolf cub, and I wanted to badly to hold him.

"Can I hold you? Please?" the raw need in his voice coupled with the sadness he still must've felt in regards to his friend, made me cave, especially since I secretly desired it as well. I nodded, and he drew me to him, holding me tightly against his chest and rubbing his face in my hair. I tentatively reached my hand up, touching the side of his face with my fingertips. He pressed his face into my hand. "I was so afraid you were going to end up like them. I wasn't sure what to expect when I found out you'd left."

"I told you already. I wasn't leaving here because of you, it was because of the... uh... hell, I still don't even really know what happened." I frowned. I knew the vampires had made me see things, but that was about it.

"Some supernatural creatures have special abilities," he explained, his voice dark. "With vampires, the special abilities come with age. The coven your family signed contract with was one of the oldest. Those vampires can play mind tricks on anyone, make you hear, see, or feel things that aren't really there." His voice was rougher than normal, but still deep and sexy.

"So the car, it wasn't really mine?" I asked confusedly.

"No, it was your car. I had David bring it over while you were unconscious. But your sister never really attacked you. After making you see that, they led you straight to your car. They... disguised your scent so no one would see you or try to stop you, or at least that's what I assume. That's why it was so easy for you to get out and for them to almost get you. Damn it!" I jumped when he growled out the last part, and he immediately went to soothe me, his arms holding me tightly as he waited for my heart to calm down. "Sorry...I just...damn it was so much like last time. I don't want to lose you." His voice was muffled by my hair. "I know it's hard, to accept all this and everything, but I want so badly to make it work."

I reached back up to touch one of the arms that surrounded me, and I could feel tears pricking at my eyes. "I've been really selfish, haven't I?" I tried to laugh, but it came out as more of a bitter sigh.

"No, you haven't been selfish. I have. To want a normal life... it's not selfish, love. It's never selfish." His words made me wonder.

"Have you ever wanted that?" I asked softly. "To have a normal life? A human life?"

I tilted my head up as I asked the question and realized how close our faces were to each other—how close our lips were. "I've thought about it sometimes," he admitted. "I've thought about what it might be like, but I only come to the conclusion that, to me, this is normal. This is my life and there's no use wanting what can never be." His eyes connected with mine and I could almost feel the thoughts running through his head.

'Can I kiss you?' his voice in my head caused me to jump and he smiled slightly at my humanness. 'Please?' Even his thoughts had a tender feel to them.

"Is it your turn to ask a question?" I asked out loud, trying to tease even though my thoughts had gone numb. Did I want this? Was I ready for this? Every thought was piling on top of the other fast and I couldn't make it stop.

He groaned. "It's been my turn, now shut up and kiss me." I closed my eyes as his lips met mine. It was like the last time we'd kissed. Was it really only earlier this night? I guessed it was. He was everywhere. As his lips moved urgently against mine, all I knew was him. Cassian. I felt his arms turn me and pull me more tightly against him. I returned his kiss with equal urgency, forgetting everything in that moment, and quite literally too. I was sure if you asked me my name, I would have no correct answer for you.

When he pulled away, we were breathless. He reached up a hand to caress my face, looking at me in wonder. "You really are willing to give me a chance?" he asked, still shocked apparently. "After everything that's happened?"

"I told you I would, didn't I?" I smiled back and he brought his lips back to mine.

We spent the rest of the night talking, not only about the supernatural, but other things, too. We talked about what we liked and didn't like, and what kind of music we were into. We even got into a debate about Doctor Who and which season was best, and the anniversary. At some point we fell asleep, me resting my head on his chest and his arm wrapped around me.

And that's how we spent our nights for about a week, talking until we both fell asleep and then waking up still in each other's arms. If I didn't know any better, I would call it romantic, but to be honest it just felt right. There had been a few mornings, however, where I'd woken up before him. The first time it happened I'd decided to explore and had gotten hopelessly lost. He'd had to come find me, grinning from ear to ear when he saw me pouting as I sat on the floor in a hallway in the middle of absolutely nowhere. The second time, however, I'd managed to direct myself towards the kitchen and had hung out there until he found me later. I met the two chefs that worked there, Katrina and Jacques, and I'd managed to make friends out of them rather quickly.

Katrina had dark skin and dark eyes that were constantly filled with humor. I doubted I'd ever seen a woman so tall before in my life, and if I didn't know better I would've thought she was an Amazon and not a werewolf, but she was a lot more robust and less angular. She also had an accent I couldn't quite place, but when I'd asked about it, she'd merely said "around". She reminded me so much of Cathia that I'd even called her by that name once or twice.

Jacques, however, was the complete opposite in about every category except for height. He had pale skin and cerulean eyes that were high contrast to his strawberry-blonde hair. He was tall and muscular (like every other freaking guy in this place), but still seemed lankier than everyone else. Maybe it was just the way he carried himself. When he wasn't around Katrina he seemed to brood.

But when he was with her... damn. It was like night and day. One second he'd appear sullen and deep in thought, and the next he'd be teasing me and Katrina, even laughing.

They weren't mates.

I'd pulled Katrina aside after the last time I'd gone down there and asked her about it. She seemed completely shocked by my question, immediately putting to rest any thoughts I had on the matter. It was odd, though. Jacques seemed so attached to her, so much better around her, and they weren't mates? There was no lasting attraction? I knew then that Katrina didn't feel anything, but I wondered if the mating pull could be a one way thing, or that maybe the women didn't feel it as much as the men. I'd thought I had gotten a hold on what being mates was, but I guess I still had a lot of learning to do.

"Marlow?" Cassian's voice brought me back to the present with a jolt.

"Sorry," I replied into the dark room." I was just thinking." He always seemed to know when I was distracted. Maybe it was because I was still projecting everything to him, but he told me I'd been getting better.

"It's alright, love, you just hadn't said anything for a while and I wondered if you were asleep." His own voice sounded tired and I smiled into the darkness.

"How do you always seem to know what I'm thinking? Am I really that bad about projecting?" I inquired softly. The feel of him against me, our arms pressed against each other from shoulder to elbow, made me relax.

He paused, and I wondered if he could truly pick up on all of my thoughts. The idea sent a ring of panic through me when I thought about all of the things he could have heard. "You know how I told you that some supernaturals have extra abilities?"

"Yeah?" I wasn't sure I was liking where this was headed. If he really could read all my thoughts, then... well let's just say I'd have quite a lot to answer for.

"I'm an empath," he told me quickly, sounding worried. I couldn't hold back the sigh of relief. "What was that for?" he queried, almost seeming amused, but also irritated.

"To be perfectly honest I thought you were going to tell me you could read my mind. I might've been freaking out for those few seconds it took you to tell me you were really an empath and not about to rat me out for every less than innocent thought I've had," I responded with a breathless laugh.

He snorted. "You humans are quite odd. Though I am curious as to what these unvirtuous thoughts may be." His hand trailed along my arm suggestively.

I elbowed him and he grunted, throwing his arm around my shoulder and pulling my back to his front. "So you don't care that I can feel all of your emotions whenever I want; when you're happy, sad...horny," he added the last with a low growl, running his nose the length of my neck. I could almost feel the sly smile he was giving me. He had an unfair advantage here. Whereas I couldn't see him in the dark, I was relatively sure he could see me. And my blush. I tried to hide it, though, with my ever useful sarcastic façade.

I rolled my eyes despite the warm feeling I had begun to get. "It doesn't bother me. It actually sounds kind of like a pain in the ass. Having to feel everything that everyone else is feeling... it honestly sounds miserable." My voice was quiet, but it still contrasted greatly to the deathly silent room.

He stilled behind me and I wondered if what I had said offended him. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that." I floundered around, trying to fix what I'd so inconsiderately said. I really needed to learn when to keep my mouth shut sometimes.

"No, don't apologize, you were right actually. It is hard, too hard most of the time. My mother's side of the family has passed it on, and I know even she has a hard time dealing with it sometimes. It's a lot easier to lose control when you can feel everyone else's anger, all their pain," he said. His arms flexed around me and I tilted my face up to where I guessed his was.

"I'm sorry."

He pressed his lips to mine briefly before releasing me. "We should probably get to bed."

I bit my lip, wondering fleetingly if he was kicking me out. I still had no idea how to find my room, or if it was even really my room. When I voiced my concern, he instantly reassured me. Brushing his lips against mine again and tangling a hand in my hair, he took a deep breath. "Ocella, you can stay here all you want. Preferably forever, but for now I'll take what I can get." The teasing lilt to his voice made me roll my eyes again.

"Mm, I guess I'll stay then," I assented. I could feel the joy radiating off of him at my decision. I turned away from him, curling up into the soft pillows of his bed with a yawn. He moved behind me and I felt warmth press against my back. There was complete and utter silence in the room save the sound of our breathing. I allowed my mind to wander.

"Cassian?" I asked, as a question came to me.

"Mmm," he mumbled sleepily. I had always envied people that could fall asleep at the drop of a hat. I rolled over carefully, my breath catching only when I felt my thigh brush his leg. The moon had made its way over to this side of the house and had illuminated his bed with a subtle light. His eyes were open as I faced him, his face chiseled and perfect, yet made more dramatic by the shadows the light created when making contact with his flawless skin. He was perfection, and it made me feel like everyone said. It made me feel human.

"What's it like being a werewolf?" I asked him.

He cracked a smile, reaching out to brush my hand along my cheek. "I'm not sure," he murmured, "I've been one my whole life so I can't compare it to anything else." He paused. "I guess... it's empowering even if it does seem weird to you humans. Especially since we change into a different creature entirely." His voice sounded rough from almost being sleep and I wanted nothing more than to snuggle closer to him. So I did. He seemed surprised at first, almost as surprised as I was even though we'd spent the past week sleeping in his bed, but he quickly recovered, wrapping his arms around me. It was the first time I had initiated contact like this with him. He rubbed my back soothingly and I sighed. "Are we making progress, my feisty little human?" he asked almost hopefully.

"I do believe we are," I murmured back sleepily, a smile forming on my lips as I slowly drifted off to sleep.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 27 milliseconds