• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • Irish Eyes
  • /
  • Page ⁨2⁩

Irish Eyes

I downloaded the picture to my computer and then pasted it to an e-mail with a note to the police of my former hometown stating that I was alive and well and had left town of my own free will. If I had used a local paper it would have given a clue as to where I was. This way I could be anywhere. I sent the e-mail to Jake and told him to go to one of the local coffee shops that offered free internet access. I figured my work e-mail would still be active and gave him my password. That way he could forward my original e-mail and picture to the police and it wouldn't leave any tracks to trace me or him. This way I hoped the police wouldn't list me on some F.B.I. list or national list as a missing person. I didn't think they would spend to many resources looking for a runaway husband. I slept soundly that night.

I was up at five the next morning and showered and dressed in time to walk with Sam to the main house. Breakfast was eggs, sausage, hash browns and toast. And there was plenty for all. After we had eaten Bill told Sam to take me and put me to work replacing fence posts in the hilly section.

I followed Sam out to the barn and he pointed out a horse and saddle I would need. Sam kept a close eye on me as I put the saddle on the big brown mare. My days of being on my uncle's ranch paid off as Sam seemed satisfied with the job I did. We then took two mules and put on saddle packs that we could load fence posts and a post hole digger on. Bill came out to the barn carrying a Winchester model 94 in a saddle scabbard. He told me that this was mainly in case we ran across a cow that had to be put down. It didn't happen often but it was best to be prepared. Sam and I mounted up and leading a mule each we headed out. We followed the creek up into the hills.

As we rode Sam and I talked and got to know one another. I told him about how I came to be in Montana. I really didn't think he was going to rat me out. He told me about his own experience. He had married right out of high school and caught his ex-wife in bed with another man. In a fit of rage had nearly beat the guy to death. He had served five years in prison and when he got out Bill was the only one who would hire him. That was how he had come to be here for the last thirty years. He went on to tell me that he thought the world of Bill and Colleen. They were the salt of the earth.

In the rising morning sun the mountains in the background were breathtaking. It was the beginning of April and the snow had melted away in the lower elevations but there was still some on the peaks. Once we hit the tree line the trail began to rise. It took another half hour until we came to the fence that marked the property boundaries. Sam pointed out that not all the posts had to be replaced, just those that had rotted or were close to it. That was about every third one. He stayed with me while I got the first two in to make sure I was doing it right. Sam said if I worked until about four I should get back in time to take care of the horse and mules and make it to dinner at six. His final words were to tell me to follow the stream back down and I wouldn't get lost.

Sam headed back and I was left alone with my work. There something calming and soothing about being in this beautiful hilly forested country. I worked my way down the line pulling out old posts and putting in new ones. I took a break at noon and pulled the pork chop sandwiches that Colleen had handed me this morning from my saddle bag. The were left over from last nights meal and were just as delicious today. As I quietly ate I watched as a blue jay passed through the trees. A woodpecker made a brief stop and hammered at a tree in search of a meal. Then a white tail deer came into the opening on the other side of the fence. She edged forward until she caught my scent. She snorted and bounded back in the trees waving her tail in the air like a flag. I finished my sandwiches and went back to work.

I had set the alarm on my watch and it beeped at four that afternoon. I saw that I had set all but a couple of the posts the mules had carried up. Leading the mules I headed back along the fence line until I found the stream and headed downhill. A short ways before I would leave the trees was a natural pool that the stream flowed into and out of. I stopped and took in the view. The upper stream dropped over a ten foot high ledge to waterfall into the clear waters below. I knew this had to be most beautiful and serene spot on the ranch.

I arrived back at the barn in time to unsaddle the animals and get them fed. Sam came in to bed down his horse while I was in there and when I told him I set all but two of the posts he seemed to be surprised and impressed. We had just enough time to wash up and change to make supper on time. We ate steaks that night.

Bill was visibly impressed when Sam told him of the progress I had made that day. I was bushed and made little contribution to the conversation at the table. As soon as dinner was over I excused myself and went directly to bed. I slept hard.

Fuck, was I sore when I woke up. My hands hurt from working the post hole digger. So did my arms, shoulders and legs. I had thought I was in pretty good shape as I worked out four or five times a week but there is a big difference from a two hour workout and a full day of setting fence posts. When I limped into the kitchen and winced as I sat down I got a couple chuckles from Bill and Sam. Even Colleen tried to hide her grin. I was starving, though, and put away the food.

"Ready, for another day of fencing," Bill asked as we rose from the table.

I groaned. "Yes sir," I said hoping I sounded more optimistic than I felt.

Bill laughed at me again. "I think you can give it a rest today. I'd like you to ride the rounds with Sam."

I nodded appreciatively. The first job of the day was to muck out the stalls and put in fresh hay. We put the horses and mules into the pasture and filled their feeder. Only then did we load up in the pick up and ride the range. Basically we were checking to make sure that there were no cows down or calves who had become separated from their mothers. The tour Sam took me on was much more extensive than the one I had gone on with Bill on my first day on the ranch. Sam seemed to know instinctively where the cattle would be and roughly how many would be there. I guess after thirty years it came naturally.

We got to the far end of the ranch and Sam stopped the truck and looked around. Something up on one of the hills seemed to catch his attention and he pulled out his binoculars. He handed them to me and pointed to where I should look. It took a minute but finally I picked out two calves and they appeared to be alone.

"Where are their mother's," I asked. Sam pointed over at two cows near the tree line.

"That's them there. Their calves must have wandered up into the trees and got lost and kept going. We're going to have to bring them down."

"We gonna hike up there?" I asked.

"Nah, it's too far. We'll go back and load up a couple horses." The pickups were equipped with two way radios and Sam called Bill and told him what we had seen and that we were on our way to get the horses. When we got back to the barn Bill had already saddled two horses and loaded them into a trailer. All we had to do was hook up and go. Sam got us pretty close to the tree line below where the calves were and we unloaded the horses and rode up into the hills. Sam's thirty years here showed itself again. He knew this country like the back of his hand. Half an hour later we were easing up behind the calves and slowly began to push them back down the hills.

I had to laugh when we cleared the trees and the wayward juveniles spotted their mothers. They ran bawling to their moms and immediately sought out a teat to nurse on. The larger cows stood patiently and let their young feed. I couldn't help but think that if it was me that had run off from my mom I would have gotten an ass chewing instead of a tit to suckle on when I got back.

We had fried chicken, corn on the cob and mashed potatoes for supper that night. The platter was piled high with breasts, legs and thighs cooked to perfection. I had more energy that night and talked more than the night before. I learned more about Colleen. Her parents had immigrated to the United States from Ireland when she was five years old. Her father had always had a fascination with the tales of the Old West and had come to Montana. That explained the trace of the Irish brogue. She had grown up in America but still had the influence of her parent's in her speech.

I was feeling much better the next day and once again after breakfast I headed back to replace fence posts. Sam helped me load up the mules but I headed out on my own. All I had to do was follow the stream to my destination. This day was easier than the first. I had learned a few tricks that made the work less strenuous. Shortly before four o'clock I set the last post and headed back to the barn. I had some extra time so I mucked some of the stalls before cleaning up for dinner.

My fourth day I helped Sam make repairs to some of the buildings and the day after set more fence posts. The next two months passed quickly. I now took my turn riding the range checking on the cattle. I was in the best shape of my life. We had a schedule set where Sam took Saturday off, Bill took off Sunday and Monday was my day off. I used my day to do my laundry and run into town if I needed anything.

I had grown quite fond of everyone on the ranch. Sam was good-natured and easy going. We would often sit and talk after supper. I had a lot of respect for Bill. He was honest and hardworking and we got along well. Colleen was very sweet to Sam and I but I could see she had some fire to her. She and Bill made a great couple.

Colleen and Bill were getting excited now. At breakfast on Friday Colleen told me that her daughter would be coming home in one week. It was my turn that day to take a horse and ride through the wooded section checking for cattle that might have wandered up into the hills. It was a little after four and I had made my way to the stream and turned to follow it down. When I reached the pool below the waterfall I stopped and dismounted. I took off my shirt and knelt down next to the water. I dipped my bandana into the cool water and began to wash the sweat and dust from my face and neck.

I heard a whinny from downstream and looked to my right to see a horse and rider approaching. At first I thought it was Colleen but quickly realized that this was a younger version of her. This beautiful woman could only be Caitlin. She had the same crystal blue eyes and red hair as her mother did. She rode up and stopped several feet from me as I stood up and faced her. She looked me over and I saw her eyes stop on my bare chest. The two months of hard work showed in my taut muscles.

"Who are you and what are doing on this property," she snapped in a haughty tone.

"Names Carson and I work here," I replied.

"I don't believe you. My dad said he couldn't afford to pay another hand," she said.

Despite how beautiful she was I was getting a little aggravated at her unfriendly tone. "Yeah, I heard that too. I guess that's why I laugh all the way to the bank every payday."

Caitlin glared at me and reined her horse around and gave it a kick in the sides. I watched as she cantered out of sight. Chuckling to myself I put my shirt back on and remounted my horse and continued on towards the barn.

Later I found out that there had been a miscommunication between Caitlin and her parents. They thought she was coming home next week. Instead, to her parents surprise, she had arrived a couple hours after I had rode out . She had spent the morning and the early part of the afternoon with her parents until she told them she wanted to go for a ride, something she hadn't had time for in school but loved to do. So she saddled up and rode up to her favorite spot, the waterfall and pool of water. I guess after two months I was old news and Bill and Colleen had forgot to mention me.

Just as I rounded the barn I saw the back of the red head disappear inside. I got down and proceeded to lead my horse inside. Caitlin must have been looking for her father and finally found him in the barn.

I could clearly hear her loud voice. "Who is that man that was up at the waterfall?" she demanded to know.

Bill thought for a minute. "That must have been Carson," he answered.

"He said he works here. But last time I was here you told me you couldn't afford to pay another hand."

"Well, he's right, he does work here. As to what he gets paid, I don't think that's any of your business. I still own this ranch young lady."

"Daddy, he says you pay him so much that he laughs all the way to the bank," she sputtered.

I had walked into the barn by that point. Caitlin had her back to me and didn't see me. Bill did and gave me a grin. "Is that true, Carson. If you think you're over paid I can rectify that," he said to me. Caitlin spun around and locked me in her glare.

I pulled my hat off with one hand and scratched the back of my head with the other. "Well, I would hate to take advantage of you Bill. Just how much are you thinking of cutting my wages?" I asked. At that Bill and I both cracked up laughing. Caitlin now glared at both of us as she failed to see the humor.

"Sweetheart, just so you will get that bee out you bonnet, Carson gets to stay in the cabin next to Sam's," Bill said.

"And what else," she still demanded to know.

"That and he gets to eat you mother's fine cooking."

"So you're saying you aren't paying him. Why would he work for nothing?" Caitlin persisted.

"He has his reasons and it's not my place to tell you," Bill said.

"Working to have a chance to taste your mother's cooking is worth a lot. I don't think she would like to hear you say that it's nothing," I chipped in. Caitlin shot me one more glare and stormed out of the barn.

Bill shook his head. "She reminds me so much of her mother when she was young. I didn't think I would ever tame Colleen."

At supper that night we were joined by Caitlin. She sat next to Sam on the opposite side of the table from me. She gave me another sharp look when I came into the kitchen. I waited until everyone had filled their plates before speaking.

"Your mother tells me that you have finished your doctorate in veterinary medicine," I said in a pleasant voice.

"Yeah," was her one word answer given without looking up.

"Sam says that there is only one other vet in the area and he's over fifty miles away. I'm sure your going to be a very big asset to the folks in this area." Caitlin did glance up at my compliment and I thought I saw her eyes soften a bit.

"Yes, that would be Doc Harrison," Colleen said. "He has more business than he can handle and is often needed in more than one place at the same time. I agree with you Carson, our Caitlin will be able to provide a great service."

During the rest of the meal Caitlin talked with her parents and Sam who had been on the ranch since before she was born. She didn't address me directly and I for the most part kept quiet. This was her homecoming and I knew her parents and Sam wanted to hear what had been happening in her life while she was away.

As soon as I finished eating I excused myself to turn in. I returned to my cabin and checked my e-mail and saw that I had one from Jake. He reported that he had talked to a friend of his who was on the police force and casually asked if they still considered me to be a missing person. His friend said that everything had been dropped after they received the e-mail with the picture I had sent them. As for Janice, Brandon had apparently dumped her as soon as he learned I had disappeared with all the money and it didn't look like Janice was going to get her hands on any of it soon. Of course she couldn't afford the rent on the house we had been living in and was now living in a seedy apartment working as a waitress. She didn't have the money to hire a lawyer to pursue me. I thought it ironic. She had apparently only married me for my money and her boyfriend had only wanted her for the same thing, my money.

I was still working on replacing fence posts. I now only did so about every third or fourth day. I had moved out of the hill country and was down where I could drive the pick up to where I worked. It really was easier to load the posts in the back of the truck rather than on the mules. The morning after Caitlin returned home I loaded the pickup with posts and drove to where I had left off. When it was my normal time to take lunch I started to the truck and realized that I hadn't brought my lunch with me. If any of us were going to be working away from the main house all day, Colleen would make sure we had a lunch and I guess I spaced out picking mine up. I could have driven back to the house but decided that missing one meal wasn't going to kill me.

About a half hour later I had just set a pole and was attaching the wire when I heard a vehicle approaching. I looked back and saw it was one of the ranch trucks. The truck came to a stop just as I finished with that post. I turned around and was surprised to see Caitlin get out. She had a small sack in her hand like the ones Colleen put our lunches in.

"Mama said you forgot your lunch," she said shoving the bag towards me. I reached out and took it from her.

"Thank you, Caitlin. That was very kind of you," I replied. I looked in the bag and saw it contained two sandwiches as usual. I took one out and offered the other to Caitlin but she shook her head no. I shrugged my shoulders and went and sat on the tailgate of the truck to eat. Caitlin walked over to where she was standing about five feet to my side and just stared at me. I just sat and ate, keeping my eyes focused in front of me.

"Why are you here?" she asked finally. I turned and looked at her and decided to fuck with her.

"You can't tell anybody. I robbed a bank and stashed the money. I'm hiding out here until the heat is off and I can retrieve the cash."

At first her eyes grew wide then she glared at me. "You're a real clown," she huffed and turned to leave. I waited until she was half way to her truck.

"Caitlin." She heard me say her name and stopped and slowly turned around. "I married a woman who never loved me and only wanted the things I could provide for her. I ended up here because I just wanted to get away from everything I knew for awhile."

Caitlin again stared at me and I think she decided I was telling the truth this time. She nodded her head and left without another word. As she drove away I thought about what her dad had said about her mother being like Caitlin when she was that age. He said he had tamed Colleen but I suspected that it was their love for each other that was the secret. It had been less than twenty four hours since I first met Caitlin and I couldn't imagine any man "taming" the fiery redhead.

Supper that night was pretty much a repeat of the night before. Caitlin had conversations with her parents and Sam. I didn't really feel slighted, after all, she didn't know me and we had nothing in common really. We were just finishing dinner when there was a knock on the door and Bill went to answer it. He came into the kitchen followed by a man about my age. He was what women would call tall, dark and handsome.

Caitlin excitedly called out a name and jumped from her seat and hugged the guy. It was obvious they knew each other. They were gabbing away about how long it had been since they had seen each other. A few minutes later there was another knock on the door and Bill went and answered it and returned with another man. This one was fair haired but also good looking. He received an equally warm greeting from Caitlin.

  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • Irish Eyes
  • /
  • Page ⁨2⁩

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 18 milliseconds