Island Adventure

At dawn Manulu and Nila arrived at the jail. He removed the stocks from Carol's ankles and released her arms and neck from the yoke. Nila helped her stand up and Carol groaned as she worked the stiffness out of her muscles.

"What do you have for me today, Manulu? More coconut collecting?" Carol was very tired. The yoke had kept her from lying down, so she had spent the night sitting in a hunched-over position; her back hurt. Nila hadn't visited her, and this neglect made her grouchy.

"I have news that will please you, Carol. The spirits have spoken to Chief Tonongo and told him they have chosen this morning as the time for you to leave the island." Manulu unchained her waist and gave her a muumuu. "The inter-island freighter is here, and it will take you to Palelu. There is a satellite phone on Palelu, and also airline service to Guam, where you can get a flight back to the United States."

Outwardly Carol accepted the glad news quietly, but inside she was rejoicing. She pulled the muumuu over her head and walked with the others to the beach; skipping would have been undignified. While Manulu was launching a canoe Carol hugged Nila and they kissed. "Goodbye, Nila. Whenever you want to visit the United States write to me and I'll arrange it."

Carol got into the canoe and Manulu paddled her out to the small, rusty freighter anchored in the lagoon. She stepped onto the accommodation ladder. "Goodbye, Manulu. Give my regards to Chief Tonongo, that SOB."

* * *

It was after midnight when Manulu entered the chief's hut. "Captain Chen radioed, Uncle. Carol has just gone ashore at Palelu."

"Good." Chief Tonongo took out his satellite phone and dialed the number of his stockbroker in New York. He checked the time. "The stock exchange is still open."

"Merrill Lynch, Bart Andrews speaking."

"Hello, Bart. Tonongo here."

"Hi, Chief. What can I do for you today?"

"I want you to close out my short position in Choplet-LaSalle stock."

"Are you sure, Chief? Without Carol Simony C-L is having a very rough time and the stock keeps going down. It could be a long way from the bottom."

"Oh, I think it'll recover. In fact, I want to buy an additional 50,000 shares of C-L."

"Whatever you say, Chief. I can't argue with success."

"The spirits have been generous. Goodbye, Bart." He hung up.

"How much money will we make, Uncle?"

"Enough to complete the hospital and also build the new school."

"That will make Nila a bit happier. She hasn't been entirely comfortable with what we did to Carol."

"We might have been a bit harsh, but you must agree that Carol asked for it. I hope she learned something from her island adventure."

The End

Story copyright 2002 by Zack. All rights reserved. I welcome your comments. E-mail me at the link below.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 142 milliseconds