• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Loving Wives
  • /
  • Island Love Ch. 03

Island Love Ch. 03

123

Introduction

This is the final instalment of three. Be sure to read parts one and two first.

If you've come this far you'll understand what this kind of writing's about. Hopefully it tells a believable story which keeps you wanting to know what happens next, but it's also a way of exploring the issues we all face in life. By dramatizing the conflicts that make up existence, I'm inviting you to think them through for yourself and reach your own conclusions. We all struggle to get our thoughts straight on matters of love and sex - and hence on the people we make our partners. And of course I'm exploring these themes for myself in writing the story in the first place.

Having said that, I want above all to give a different but pleasurable reading experience which entertains and enhances our sense of the good things in life. As with the ancients, we have to mythologise our lives in order to give them meaning and to feel unique and fulfilled. That's the role of the arts in western culture. But I don't do all the work: it's over to you, the reader.

I appreciate feedback, positive or negative, from anyone who has read the story. It's okay not to like it or to find fault with the way I write. But I post it here only because some readers have bothered to express their appreciation for my previous work and have asked for more.

*****

A savage place! as holy and enchanted
As e'er beneath a waning moon was haunted
By woman wailing for her demon-lover!
(Kubla Khan, S.T. Coleridge)

The chalet door slammed behind Tibby and all thought of making love was forgotten. They got out of bed and dressed quickly. Philip wished he didn't have to think about Tibby, convinced now than she was deep in trouble of a kind she was unable to admit to. Despite what he'd said it was clear she wasn't managing adequately without him and he couldn't escape a feeling of responsibility. But as Isabel had said about Nicole, it was only Tibby who could find what she needed.

"I suppose we should check what's happened about the fire. Tibby said they're closing the resort."

"I have to leave in any case if I'm to catch a flight. There'll be others trying to leave."

"Ben couldn't have done anything about sacking you before he was injured. I should think you're still employed."

"I have to leave in any case. Isn't it obvious that everything here is finished?"

"I don't want you to leave. I can't let you go."

"Philip, we have to deal with reality. You don't know what you want. You've barely escaped from Tibby and are nowhere near ready to make the commitment I need. You think I'm the answer to your problems, but I'm not. You need to sort yourself out; I can't do it for you. I'm a woman with my own life and my own difficulties and you don't know me. We should both leave now. Forget this place, forget everything that happened here and remember only the beautiful moment on the mountain."

Philip's spirits sank as he struggled with the thought that she didn't love him. His own feelings were so certain and strong it was difficult to accept that she didn't share them. But for her the sex meant nothing. She didn't care if she never saw him again.

"I do know what I want. I want you. You can't just walk away."

"But we have to be sensible. Come on Philip, until an hour ago you thought I was an easy-going tart. You've fallen in love with a mirage."

"I'm not blind. I can see who you are. I always knew you were good."

"I have to go. I'm ashamed of having misled you. I tried to make you realise I wasn't the person you thought I was. Don't you understand? That's not the basis for a good relationship."

"Then what was the sex?"

"I wanted you to be happy."

"You did it for me? You didn't enjoy it?"

"That's not what I mean. I like sex and I was pleased to make you happy. We like one another but this is just a holiday fling."

This came like a blow. She wouldn't say that if she loved him. Love sees the truth about a person and overcomes the problems of life. "You have no feelings for me?"

She put out her hand and touched his face. "I love being with you. You make me happy. But we have to be grown up. I can't just give myself away."

Philip was silent but feeling a little better. She'd given him something to work at - but not if she left him. "We have more than that. It's something special, I know."

"Let's see what happens. What will you do now?"

"I can always find a job. The question is whether I want one. The plan is to walk and climb in the Dolomites. As you say, I need to sort myself out. I've thought, maybe, of starting a business providing guided walking holidays following the long-distance paths of southern Europe. I should do it while I'm young and eager. I might even thank Tibby for spurring me into action."

Isabel laughed. "Sounds good. The sort of thing I'd like to do. But I must see Beatrice. I can get a job as an accountant in the local hospital. It's not exciting but it brings in the money."

"You're very practical," said Philip. "Can't we just stay in bed together?"

"You want a relationship based on sex?"

"No, I want to be with you. I'll make love to you all day if that's what it takes."

"Then what we'd have in common is sex."

"No. Well, yes, but we didn't have sex on the mountain. And that's when we were closest."

She laughed at this, but she was packing and closing her bag.

"Whatever happens, I shall never forget you Philip. You're a lovely man and I'm so glad I met you. You make me feel good about myself and I'm grateful for that. It would be lovely to think that we could be together, but it's not about whether I love you - true love grows over time and through learning to trust one another. Love is a luxury I can't afford."

Now he'd had time to calm down and think, he knew that she was right in part: he was too hasty. And he was angry and needy; he wanted too much to be loved. Neediness wasn't a good basis for a relationship. A woman was never the solution to a man's problems, she was the reward for problems solved. He had to sort himself out, discover what he wanted from his life and then find out if there was someone prepared to share it with him. It was easy to fall in love with Isabel but there was no way she could respond equally to the fervour of his feelings. And she had her own life. The important thing was to be sure he found a way to see her again. She was beautiful, strong and self-sufficient, but she was right: he could see the truth of her character, but he needed to know more about the facts of her life before he could claim her love.

Philip nonetheless said he'd walk down the hill with Isabel to see whether there was a taxi to take her to the airport. They left the chalet and watched a pall of smoke blowing far out to sea, the sun low in the sky. The street lights had failed and the resort looked deserted. Below them, they saw the flashing lights of emergency vehicles of all kinds blocking the entrance to the resort. It was a gloomy end to a chaotic few days. Philip had given up his job, he'd finished his marriage, the resort was burning down and the woman he loved was leaving. It was time his luck changed.

"What's going on?" he asked when they came on a couple trying to carry their suitcase down the hill.

"Someone said it was a terrorist attack."

"It's a fuss about nothing," said the other. "Just a fire which they're putting out. We should sit tight and enjoy the weather. There'll be a refund for this even if we stay."

"It's such a shame. This place is paradise."

Philip saw that many people had gathered on the beach well away from the fire, which was a red glow visible through the windows of the Rodwell. Further on they saw Tim and Nicole seated in the café by the swimming pool. Philip knew he had to speak to them, not least to give Tim his address - in case Nicole needed a witness. And he needed to pause and collect his thoughts. They went in.

"This place is finished, but we're waiting to see what happens," explained Tim. "I expect we'll be arrested. You heard that Ben tried to seduce Nicole? I don't suppose that's a defence but he deserved what he got."

The couple were tense and stressed but seemed more comfortable in one another's company. Did Tim really not know what Ben had been planning for Nicole? "Maybe he's not badly hurt."

"I hope he's roasted."

"You did nothing. They'll lock me up," said Nicole.

"I got in my blow before you. Now I understand we got the wrong man."

"What happened was a disaster for everyone," said Isabel. "If I were you, I'd leave now. The police can find you if they want to interview you."

The restaurant staff appeared to have stopped serving and were outside the kitchen door watching to see what was happening. Isabel went over and told them to bring coffee. Not for the first time Philip marvelled at her ability to look at ease in a difficult situation. He noticed Gabriel, the man who had been talking to Tibby before the fire, sitting alone at another table. He was staring at Isabel with what looked like hatred.

"Sprinkler's ruined everything in my room," he said when he noticed Philip looking at him.

"Where's Tibby?" asked Philip, curious to know what she'd done after her hasty departure.

"Still think I'm fucking your wife? You have a cuckold complex. Maybe that's what you like." He nodded to Isabel. "Having a woman who sleeps around."

"And you're a nasty man," said Isabel in a flat voice. "You're the deputy manager. Shouldn't you be dealing with the fire?"

They were interrupted by an angry man at another table. He ignored Philip and spoke to Gabriel.

"Did I hear that you're the manager?"

"The manager went to hospital. He was hurt in the fire."

"Then who's looking after the guests? Where am I sleeping tonight?"

"I'm the deputy. But I'm off duty. I had a bad time at the fire."

"And I've lost all my clothes. Are you going to replace them?"

Gabriel shrugged. "I've no idea?"

"Then who is in charge?"

Gabriel shrugged again. "We need to do what the emergency services tell us."

"Tell you what, I'm sure they'd want me to have a drink." The man went over to the bar and took a bottle of whisky. "Thanks for your help." With a scornful look, he left the bar.

Philip was vaguely aware that something important had happened but was too tired to think. Why did Gabriel look at Isabel with such hatred? A waiter brought coffee and he sipped his gratefully, struggling to work out what to do next. Why had he accepted that she would leave? Watching Tim and Nicole it seemed to him that he could do nothing for them. Nicole behaved as if she was already a prisoner, ignoring the talk and staring out of the window. There was a vivid red mark on her arm.

"Look. This is a burn," said Philip. "You should get it seen to."

She jerked away from him as if slapped. Ignoring everyone in her way, she strode to the corner of the room, sat down at the piano, a baby grand, and flung open the keyboard cover. Quietly she began to play. The music seemed effortless and filled the restaurant. Everyone stopped talking and looked up curious and charmed, the fire suddenly forgotten. Philip recognised the piece - a Beethoven sonata - calm and gathering pace and power under Nicole's playing. In that moment of loss and ending it was beauty without words. Philip shook his head, bewildered by such a moment in the midst of chaos, a pulse stitching damaged flesh and making it whole. He breathed deeply and closed his eyes. For an instant he knew what he wanted and everything was clear in front of him.

Two burly policemen pushed through the door, equipment dangling from their ample waists, guns loose at their sides. Nicole continued playing without losing a beat, but everyone's attention was on the new arrivals, who stopped and looked round. Tim leapt up to speak to them. Before he could say anything, Gabriel called out.

"Officer, the girl you're looking for is over there. The incendiarist. Arrest her before she escapes." He pointed to Nicole. "We're afraid she might set alight to us all."

The music stopped mid-bar and Nicole sat at the piano staring at the keys. The policemen looked at her, curious and uncertain. Philip knew he had to intervene, but before he could say anything Isabel went to the policemen.

"This is the man you should arrest." She pointed to Gabriel and the luggage bag beneath his chair. "Before he runs away with the spoils of his crimes. Look for a large amount of cash. He's a drunk and a cheat and already subject to a criminal investigation."

There was an astonished silence. Gabriel looked round the room as if to check who was listening. Confused, Philip stared at Isabel, wondering what had happened. On the mountain he was sure he knew her, but this was a woman he'd never seen.

"You'll pay for those lies. And she's a worthless whore," spluttered Gabriel, struggling to control his anger. He turned on Philip. "You tell them. She's a whore. Don't pretend you didn't know."

"There's no need to accuse anyone," said a policeman calmly. "We're here to move you to the beach. Everybody must leave now. This place is being evacuated."

There was shouting and pushing as everyone got up at once and moved towards the door. Tim grabbed Nicole and Philip hurried to catch Isabel but was trapped in the scrum. They were outside before he reached her side. She walked fast and he could see that she was upset and angry, unwilling to look at him. He took hold of her arm and tried to slow her. They walked all the way to the beach in silence. He put his arms round her and pulled her to him so that he could look into her eyes. She did her best to avoid his examination.

"What was that about?"

"I should never have said that, but I had to protect Nicole. Arresting her won't help anyone, whatever she's done."

"Is what you said about Gabriel true?" He saw in her eyes that it was. "But how do you know?"

"I warned you that you didn't know me. First you thought I was a bar-room hostess like Mimsy. I should have put you right but I left it to you to find out who I was and I've said I'm sorry. You discovered that I'm an accountant and that's true. But it's more to the point to call me a spy."

"I don't understand. What are you telling me?"

She kissed him delicately. "It was supposed to be secret. I'm a forensic accountant contracted by the owners of the resort to find out why money and supplies were vanishing. Ben and Gabriel thought I was a purchasing manager sent by head office. Ben did his best to compromise me and blackmail me into his moneymaking schemes - hence your confusion. Gabriel hated me because he knew I was onto something. His main racket is with the end-of-day till reconciliations. He bribes or blackmails the bar staff to short-change guests and various other scams. It's easy money."

Philip looked out to sea, deflated and angry at this new evidence that they barely knew one another. And proof that Isabel hadn't trusted him. Why hadn't she told him? He said nothing and tried to breath calmly until his anger subsided. Isabel was aware of this and patted his arm as if not sure how he would react to the touch.

"I'm sorry."

"So all that about working here for your daughter was a lie?"

"It's true. I'm a contractor and only work when I have a customer. The rest of the time I look after Beatrice."

"But you said you went along with Ben's schemes, that it suited you to have people think you were one of his comfort girls."

"You're asking whether my zeal to convince in my undercover role led me to sell my body? I suppose it's a reasonable question. The answer is no. I'd sit in the bar and chat - I needed company. But that was it. I'm sorry to disappoint, but you're my first fuck in years."

Philip laughed a little hysterically. "I loved you when I thought you were a loose woman, a vamp, a rapacious sex-fiend. I love you as an accountant and now I love you as a spy. Not only must I be blind when it comes to women, but I fall in love with anybody."

"I tried to warn you. And yes, men see what they want to see and ignore the rest. We could never know one another properly in this corrupted place."

"I hated what I thought you were. Don't say that I liked the idea that you were a good-time girl."

"I'm sorry."

It was late afternoon and the sun was low but Philip felt better. The conversation had blown away a barrier and she now trusted him enough to tell the truth. He saw a woman who was exhausted and frightened and he was sure he didn't look much better. After a bit they kissed tentatively and he thought it was the moment of parting. But despite saying that she must leave, they walked further along the beach to get out of the crowd.

"I'm a sucker," she said, "for your beautiful grey-blue eyes and the way you twist your lip when you've got a question. And how you look at me. I wish we'd met ten years ago when our lives were in front of us. Now I have to leave if I'm to be in time to catch a flight tonight. I have to find a taxi."

"If our lives had been different you wouldn't have Beatrice. I need to sort out my own future but I can't stop looking at you. I'll be shipwrecked when you're gone."

"Ships that pass in the night."

"I think we collided."

"And drifted apart to sink in the darkness." Isabel laughed and they kissed again. "We're a sorry pair. Who knows what drives people together? Will we regret meeting one another? I don't think so. But now I have to go."

Philip despaired because he knew that Isabel was the sensible one. Yet it was inconceivable that she could walk away leaving confusion. Then he saw Gabriel coming towards them and realised that he'd not thought about Tibby for ages. The man was sweating beneath a thick jacket. He carried a heavy bag on his back, no doubt making his getaway. It was too late to escape him and they waited until he stopped in front of them and put down his bag.

"Can you guess why I'm here?" Turning to Philip with an awkward smirk, he said, "No it's not about Tibby. She's a one, I grant you - she only had to be nice to me. But I wanted a word with your new girlfriend."

Turning to Isabel he said, "You shouldn't have said that to the police. It's hard working with Ben and you may have misunderstood what you saw. I'm busy and don't always notice what goes on around me. If you found errors in the bar accounts then it's hardly surprising given the poor quality of the staff we get here. You should have spoken to me. I'd have soon spotted the problem and made things much easier for you. But I didn't know what you were doing."

"No, you didn't." Isabel was calm but Philip knew the situation was tense. "I was doing my job."

"Of course, but I could have put you on the right lines. Here, I want to make up. A little present for the trouble you've been through."

He produced an envelope and thrust it forward. Isabel refused to accept it.

"Is that a bribe?"

"A token to show no hard feelings and to seal our agreement that we leave bygones alone. There's no point in any case in making accusations against me. The fire will destroy all the evidence."

"My evidence has gone to Head Office. There's nothing you can do about it now so it's no good trying to bribe me."

His ugly smile became a menacing stare. "I'll tell them you're a whore who's gaming the system for all she can get. They'll do nothing without you as a witness. You'll tell them you made a mistake, you made it all up. It was Ben who cooked the books."

"Why would I do that?"

"Because I'll kill you unless you do."

Silence. Philip found himself thinking like a fox, watching intently to see whether Gabriel made the least movement to provoke an assault.

"Get away now," he told Isabel. "The man's lost it."

"Big mistake," said Gabriel, advancing on Philip. "I don't let people like you stand in my way."

123
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Loving Wives
  • /
  • Island Love Ch. 03

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 47 milliseconds