It's Too Cliché...Right? Ch. 01

"Sorry Mrs. P," I apologized as I made my way over to my seat, Brian and Mitch snickering behind me. I shot them a glare as I sat down, Brian and Mitch flanking me on each side, still showing smug grins on their faces. I shook my head, feeling like this day was going to be a long one. Well, hello Monday.

Morning classes passed relatively quickly. After first period math, Brian and Mitch had left, leaving me with some peace and quiet at least. Chemistry, I shared with Melissa and Jake, which I relished because those two were definitely the least annoying in our little group, except that I didn't even need to worry about Jake because he wasn't around, which wasn't really surprising. Jake was a relatively good student and his parents were pretty lax when it came to his discipline, which meant that he occasionally took mornings off school.

By the time lunch came around, I was in full Monday blues swing. Entering the cafeteria, the smell of food filled my nose. School cafeteria food hardly ever whet my appetite but the aroma of lasagna made my stomach grumble. Looking over the sea of students, I sought out the table that I frequented during lunch, seeing Sam, Mitch and Brian already seated. I grabbed my food before heading over to our little congregation, plopping down on a seat opposite my best friend with Melissa following after me.

"Kill me now," I grumbled, dropping my head down onto the table.

"I second that," Melissa said.

"Was chemistry that bad?" Sam inquired, cocking her head in our direction.

"Bad is an understatement. Mr. Harper makes paint drying seem interesting," Melissa replied.

"You don't find anything interesting," Mitch shot, adding the obligatory insult he shot to his sister on frequent occasions.

"Shut up gay boy," she countered, which made Mitch fume in his seat. This began the duo's back and forth of insults.

Distracted by the siblings' little squabble, none of us realized when Jake walked into the cafeteria until he dropped himself into a seat next to us. His sudden entrance made all our attention turn to him, just staring at him slightly stunned. I mean, sure it wasn't the first time Jake came to school halfway through the day but still his sudden appearance took a while to process, especially so on a dreary Monday.

"Take a picture, it'll last longer," Jake said after a few seconds of us staring.

"Sorry, my brain isn't functioning yet," I apologized.

"You mean it ever functions? I just thought it was broken," Jake said, without even the slightest smirk. Don't think he's being mean, though, he's not. It's just his sense of humor. He can say almost anything, even the funniest thing, with a straight face.

"So, who was it last night?" Brian asked, voicing the question that was undoubtedly on everyone's mind. Most of the time, when Jake pulls the morning absence act, it was because he had just gotten laid the night before.

"It's no one," he replied.

"At least tell us if it was a guy or girl?" Sam added. Yes, Jake was bi, meaning that guessing who he slept with was more difficult than most.

Jake was kinda the man slut in our group, although not in the traditional sense. He didn't go looking for sex nor did he flirt up a storm, rather that Jake was offered sex a lot of times. He's kinda known to be really good in bed, for both genders and positions, if you know what I mean. The reputation is warranted, however, something I can confirm from personal experience. Now before you judge me, yes, I slept with him once, but that was before we were friends.

"I don't fuck and tell," he replied. It may seem like he didn't give an answer but we all knew what he meant. Jake was a top when it came to straight sex, for obvious reasons, but almost always bottomed with gay sex, though not all the time.

"Was it Katy? I swear she was walking funny this morning," Brian joked, to which Jake just laughed. It was obvious that whoever it was, Jake wasn't going to spill...not yet at least.

"Speaking of getting laid," Sam said. I looked at her and saw that she was looking at something further down the cafeteria. I followed her gaze, turning in my seat to see Tim walking in, a pretty girl next to him and a goofy grin on his face. "Her name's Jessie," Sam offered, knowing the question that was on my mind as I looked the girl over. She had curly brown hair that stopped just before her shoulders, in her arms were books that looked way too thick for someone in her grade.

It was obvious Tim was enamored with her, from the smile that plastered his face. Trust my brother to find someone who was a little too smart, not that I expected anything less from him. Besides, she wasn't bad looking and they looked good together.

I watched as Tim waved goodbye before heading over to our table. When he arrived, smirks greeted him, which only caused a blush to form on his cheeks. He didn't say anything as he sat, instead focusing on his food. Still, the other occupants of the table stared at him. Knowing Tim, he would be sweating in his seat from all the attention he was getting. "Okay, please stop," he finally said, bringing his head up, a pleading look on his face.

We all burst out laughing, which only caused his blush to deepen. "I've got to say, bro, you didn't do so bad," I said, patting him on the shoulder.

"Yeah man, she's cute," Brian added, which earned him a punch in the arm from Sam.

"No perving on girls four years younger than you," Sam said, before realizing what she said and adding, "Actually, no perving on other girls, period."

"Somebody's jealous," Brian muttered underneath his breath, directing the comment more to the guys in the group.

"I heard that," Sam said, glaring at her boyfriend. Brian smiled innocently which earned him an eye roll from both Sam and Melissa. "So anyway, it seems like you two are getting closer," Sam said, her comment directed at Tim, who had been relieved when the topic had deviated away from him, only to be returned to the spotlight just moments later. No such luck lil' brother.

"She's cool," he replied, digging his fork into his lasagna but not picking any up to eat.

"Mmhmm, cool. Is that what the kids call it these days when someone wants to get into someone else's pants?" Brian joked.

"I'm not!" Tim shouted back. I laughed but came to my brother's aid.

"Alright, lay off the kid," I said, ruffling my hand in his hair.

"You have no right to make fun of me anyway," Tim said. I looked at him only to realize he was addressing me. "At least I talk to my crush."

I narrowed my eyes at him. Even after I came to his defense, he turns on me. "That's the last time I stick up for you,"

"Oh, come on, he's just there. Go talk to him," he said. I turned my head in the direction of his nod, although I didn't need to know where Evan was seated. He always sat at the table next to the cafeteria exit. Every day, he finishes lunch as quick as possible before exiting and going who knows where. I've tried twice to follow him, just to see where he goes but he disappears like a ghost. Even today, I could already see that he was almost done with his meal.

"I'm not going to talk to him," I said, not taking my eyes away from Evan hunched over his lunch.

At this Brian made a clucking sound, imitating a chicken. I glared at him while the others laughed. "Your brother's got more balls than you," he added. I tried not to let it get to me because I know that Brian's just trying to get me riled up so I would go at least attempt to talk to Evan, but I was frustrated to say that it was working.

"It's not—" I started but was cut off by another cluck from Brian. "Dude, stop—" Cluck. "I'm not—" Cluck. "Okay fine!" I shouted, which finally made Brian stop.

I sat there, wondering if I was really going to go through with this. "Well, we're waiting," this time Jake chipping in.

"I hate you all," I grumbled, standing up from the table. Straightening my shirt, I turned and made my way over to Evan's table. I took deep breaths, trying to calm my rapidly beating heart. Evan was still just another guy, I could do this. I've flirted with plenty of guys before, this would be no different.

He didn't look up as I made my way over to him, probably not even realizing my approaching form. I pictured him looking up as I made my way over, and I imagined myself tripping on my own feet, stumbling right in front of him. Shaking the thought from my mind, I continued my approach. What if I made a fool of myself? Shit, I can't do this. No! I can, just focus.

I was a few feet away from his table when I saw his head start tilting upwards. Panic filled me immediately and fearing the possibility of doing something embarrassing, I instead hurried past his table and out the cafeteria. Before exiting, I glanced back at my table, seeing Brian with his thumbs under his pits, flapping his arms like a chicken. I ignored it, knowing that teasing was a lot better than making a bad first impression on Evan.

I rushed to the nearest bathroom, walking over to the sink and leaning my arms against it. I looked at my own reflection and was slightly peeved at myself for being such a wuss. Some popular guy I am. I can't even talk to a guy.

I heard the door open and close behind me.

I stood there, looking through the reflection as I saw Evan walk into the bathroom. He looked up, our eyes meeting through the reflection in the mirror and right then and there my heart stopped as our gaze locked and electricity flowed between us. I swallowed the lump in my throat as I watched Evan trail his eyes down my body, taking in my physique and I knew right then that he wanted me too.

Well, at least that's what it would have been like in any other clichéd love story, but alas this is not. Instead, walking into the bathroom was Pete, another guy in our grade. Pete was in our GSA, so I knew him, although I wouldn't have called us close. He wasn't gay, though I've heard rumors of him experimenting before. Nothing solid, though, so I can't say for certain.

"Hey Brad," he called out, noticing me in the restroom.

"Hey," I returned the obligatory reply.

"GSA meeting still on this week?" he asked. The question wasn't really necessary, seeing that it was given that the meeting would be on. Still, it was the only kind of awkward thing that we would have said to each other. Like I said, we weren't very close.

"Yeah."

"Cool," he said as he headed to one of the stalls. "I'm just gonna take a piss real quick."

I nodded slowly, a little unsure why he was telling me this. I had half a mind to tell him that I wasn't his mother but decided against the rude comeback. Instead, I just smiled and headed for the door.

Could this day get any more awkward? I blame it on Evan Trevorrow and his...awkward inducing-ness.

I made my way back to the cafeteria, only to find that Evan was already gone. I shook my head and returned to my table. "Oh look, guys, the chicken's back," Brian quipped.

"Shut up," I grumbled, dropping into my seat. "Fuck my life," I said as I dropped my head onto the table.

"You could ask Evan to do that for you, except for the problem that you can't talk to him," Melissa added.

"Why am I friends with any of you?" I asked.

"Because we're awesome," Sam replied. I sometimes doubted that.

After lunch, I managed to avoid my so called friends for a few hours as I shared classes with none of them for the rest of the day, something that I was glad for due to their excessive need to meddle in my love life. I knew they meant well, but they can be really pushy at times. Fuck peer pressure.

Without the need to defend myself, I could feel my frustration slowly ebb away with each passing hour. By the time my last period English Lit came around, I was practically bubbly again. I swear, it's not because Evan is in the same class and I get to stare at him from the back of the class, because it's not. Pfft, stare at Evan. Pfft.

Why would I even stare at Evan? With his super cute hair and handsome face, he was nothing much to look at. I mean, the way the sun hit his profile didn't make my breath hitch or anything. Heck, I don't even watch the way his fingers twirl the pen in his hand or the veins that run along the back of it. I am not staring at Evan. I totally don't know that he taps his foot whenever he's concentrating on something, or that he sticks his tongue out the side of his mouth when he's writing something down in his notepad. I don't know these stuff, because as I said, I don't stare at him.

I could almost hear Brian in my head screaming one word, "Denial!"

I shook my head and tried my best to pay attention to class. Luckily for me, class wasn't very brain taxing today. Nearing the end of the class, Mr. Duncan announced that we would have to complete a report which was to be done in pairs.

At that word, my mind immediately went to Evan. Maybe we would be partners and I would finally have an excuse to talk to him. Then again, if we were partners, it would probably be really bad on my part because I'll probably be tongue-tied again and not contribute as much as I'd like. Then Evan would think that I was a lazy slacker and then he won't like me. If he gets a bad grade because of me he'll resent me because I'll have affected his position in class and he would think I did it on purpose just to help Tim widen the lead he had in class.

"Mr. Pearson..." Mr. Duncan read, breaking me from my neurotic thoughts, looking down at the list in his hand. I held my breath, still unsure if I wanted to be partnered with Evan or not. Both had their pros and cons, but this would have been my one chance to have something to talk to Evan about other than my super creepy and weird crush I have on him. "...you're partnered with..." My heart was thumping against my chest like it was attempting to burst from my ribcage like some xenomorph alien face hugger type shit. "...Ms. Marks."

I let out the breath I was holding, unsure if what I was feeling was relief or disappointment. Maybe a little bit of both? Who was I kidding anyway? Of course I wouldn't have been paired up with Evan. That's the oldest cliché in the book. If I had, in fact, been paired with him, I would have wondered if the writers of my life had been fired and replaced with someone who actually knew what they were doing. Nope, no such luck.

At least I didn't need to worry about my partner. Amy Marks was a good student, although a little on the talkative peppy side, but there were a lot worse people I could have worked with. As I thought about it, getting partnered with Evan was probably a bad idea and so for once, I was glad that my life wasn't so clichéd. Amy I could handle a lot better than Evan.

Knowing my grouping, I checked out, not paying attention to the other names being called out. After all the assignments were done, the bell rang, marking the end of another day of school. I was packing up my stuff when Amy bounded over to my table, backpack slung over her shoulder.

"Hey Amy," I greeted, knowing she probably wanted to talk a little about our plan for this report.

"Hey Brad, I've got some news," she said.

"News?" I asked.

"Yeah, so I have to help Tracy with something after school for a few weeks so I need to be paired up with her for this report," she said.

"Okay? So..."

"I just wanted to make sure if you're okay with swapping partners."

"Oh, yeah sure. I mean as long as Mr. Duncan says it's fine."

"It is. I've already asked him and he says if you're okay with it then go ahead," she said. I nodded, knowing that it was something Mr. Duncan would have probably said. He wasn't one to care too much about stuff like that. "So, you're cool with swapping partners?"

"Yeah, no problem."

"Thanks, Brad, you're the best," Amy cheered, giving me a hug. I laughed but returned a small embrace. See what I mean when I say Amy was peppy. Amy was halfway out the door when it suddenly occurred to me that I didn't know who my new partner was.

"Wait, Amy, who's my new partner?" I shouted.

"Evan," she replied as she disappeared out the door. My eyes widened as I turned my head towards the seat that Evan had been sitting in through class, seeing those brown eyes looking back at me. In an instant, I felt myself shrink under his gaze, making me feel smaller than I have ever felt in the history of my existence.

Oh, fuck my life.

*****

A/N: So, tell me what you think so far? Do you like it? Love to hear your feedback.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 52 milliseconds