• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Novels and Novellas
  • /
  • Jake and Gill
  • /
  • Page ⁨11⁩

Jake and Gill

"Well, I suppose it was fun while it lasted, but he's too immature for me. I think I've had it with men and their moody silences."

"Tosh, boss! Anyone can see the both of you are mad about each other, and I know he must be upset over your little spat. Why else would he have a holiday to get over this row with you. Everybody knows, he never takes any holiday!" Kelly was exasperated, she thought Gill was a great boss and a great banker, but now she was just being silly. "My source says Tina's only giving him a briefing of how the last week has gone, he hasn't even taken his jacket off, so we don't think he's staying long."

Gill sat thinking.

"Go on Gill, try and make it up or go finish it, what have you got to lose? He can only tell you to get lost and, quite frankly, since he went away you have been lost."

Gill stood up, "Cancel my appointments for the rest of the day, would you Kelly? ... And thanks, by the way, you're a sweetheart."

"Go get him, hon!" Kelly hugged her boss.

Gill rushed off to have one last talk with Jake.

Jake was deep in conversation with the pretty girl Christina when Gill stopped at the doorway, all the things she had prepared to say evaporated as she witnessed the girl let out a squeal before throwing her arms around Jake and giving him a hug. Hardly appropriate boss-employee behaviour, especially considering their age difference. Gill blinked back tears and started to backtrack, but bumped into Gerald, her boss, who gently dragged her into the room with one hand behind her back.

"Ahh, Gill, you are just the person I needed to see," Gerald said, then calling out, "Jake! Aunt Gertie's in hospital, Sir Michael's been trying to get you all morning -"

"Oh gosh, Gerry, what ward? -"

"I'll tell you on the way over, Jimmy's moving the car out front."

"I'll let everyone on my side of the family know though Sally, Uncle Gerry," Christina volunteered.

"By all means, Chrissie, dear," Gerry replied, "let them know, but you know how she would hate any fuss."

The young girl nodded in acknowledgement and pulled out her mobile.

Gill stood there, 'Aunt Gertie', 'Uncle Gerry', 'Chrissie', 'family', 'Sir Michael'? She was bewildered with what was going on. Jake collected his coat and moved towards her.

"Hi, Gill," Jake said, squeezing her shoulder, and kissing her forehead, "you're a sight for sore eyes. I was just coming up to see you after I'd caught up with Chrissie. Come on, if Gran is asking for you, well, then you need to come too."

"Yes, Gill," Gerry insisted, "she was particularly insistent that you come with us."

Down the corridor and into the lift, Jake held onto Gill's hand, while Gerry explained that the doctor, Sir Michael, had said she was undergoing tests and they were not too be too alarmed at this stage, but she had been insistent in calling the three of them to her bedside immediately. At the car, Gerry introduced Gill to his driver, Jimmy, which she thought odd, but Jimmy explained with a grin that Chrissie was his daughter, which didn't do any more to explain to Gill what their relationship to anyone else meant at all.

Gill felt too intimidated by Gerald's presence to discuss her personal life in the car, with Gerald concentrating on briefing Jake on various bank events over the past week. Even Jimmy chipped in from the front seat, saying he had sorted out the Istanbul end with the perfect man and assistant for the job. Gill was only grateful that Jake maintained a firm grip on her hand throughout and occasionally patted the back of her hand with the other, and twice, during breaks in the conversation, leaned in to ask her solicitously if she was all right, to which could only wordlessly nod her affirmation.

At the hospital, Jimmy dropped them off at a quiet side door, where a distinguished and smartly-dressed man in a pin-striped suit met them, holding a fire door open for them to pass through into the building. No introductions were clearly necessary towards the other two, but he extended his hand to Gill.

"Mrs Gillian Moorhouse, I'm Sir Michael Rahn, welcome to my hospital, I would hope that your next visit would be on a less grave occasion. Now, please follow me."

He led them along a number of corridors through to Gertie's private room. Gerry strode in front next to the good doctor, asking about what tests were involved.

Jake whispered to Gill, "Michael is my skin doctor and he has to check me over a couple of times a year. He's itching to get his hands on me but he is honest enough to admit that there is nothing pressing that needs doing."

"That's good," Gill replied.

It was a small, plain room they were directed into, and Gertie was sitting up, propped by numerous pillows. A monitor registered her heart beat and another her temperature, but there were no drips in view, Gill noted. A nurse removed herself from the room on the faintest of nods from Sir Michael. A short, fat bald man, however, stood patiently in the corner, a portfolio folder in his hands.

"I am all right, just in for tests hopefully, but the vultures," Gertie looked pointedly at Sir Michael, "insist I stay for in a few days. That'll be all, Michael, we have things to discuss."

"I think I'd rather stay and keep an eye on you, ma'am," he replied, staring down her glare, "if you don't mind of course, and taking doctor patient confidence into account."

She nodded to him and turned to Gerald.

"OK, Gerry, what have we got?"

"It depends on what Jake has managed to do, really, we haven't even broached the subject yet. With Jake's 18, your 13 and my three percent, we are presently 17 per cent short of a majority. The hostile bid is led as expected by Winstone's and they appear to believe they have the upper hand. I have spoken on the quiet to several of the underwriters involved this morning but their blood is up. Jake, what have you managed?"

"Oh, I bought the lot, so end of problem, really. I had to sell all the Bolivian mining interests and the Argentinian ranches, as we discussed, plus the Andes ski resort, which I was a little reluctant about, but used as a bargaining chip it couldn't be helped."

"You have all 100% of Winstone's?" Gerry asked, rubbing his hands together.

"Yes," Jake replied, "and Winstone's has 18% so we now have a 52% winning position, I doubt if the board meeting on Wednesday will be anything but a formality, the bid will be withdrawn today. Jarvis may have heard rumours of the bad news by now."

'Winstone's? Jarvis? Wayne Jarvis, presumably? Board Meeting?' Gill thought, 'what's going on? And now Jake's let go of my hand!'

"Capital!" Gerry exclaimed, "I'll get back to work then! Aunt Gertie, I'm so glad to see you looking so well, but then I assumed you would be." He reached over and kissed his aunt on the cheek. "I'll send Jimmy back to pick you both up," he declared to Gill and Jake, "while I go and move my office. See you later, and my heartiest congratulations, my dear." He kissed Gill on both cheeks and departed.

Gill looked stunned.

She turned and found Jake was kneeling on the floor, looking up at her.

"I know this isn't the most romantic place to do this, but the right time is the right time wherever that is, I suppose. Miss Gillian Moorhouse, I know that I love you more than any man can love any woman, and that I have long imagined this moment, believing it was beyond my wildest dreams, ever since I first met you. Since you have allowed me to enter your life, my love for you has only been inflamed by you and I want to be with you forever. Would you do me the honour, my dearest Gill, to become my lawful wedded wife?"

He took her hand and with the other withdrew a ring box from his pocket, flipping it open one-handed, revealing a huge deep-blue-tinged diamond. "This was my mother's ring, the stone reset into the same gold, newly recast to your size. But if you feel you would prefer -"

"No! No! Your mother's ring? It's perfect ... of course I'll marry you, Jake, I love you, but what about Izote?"

"Izote? Oh, she's now a business partner of mine, well, ours of course. As you know, they maxed out their high street bank loans as a start-up business, but we identified they were insufficiently capitalised and needed more cash to develop the accommodation capacity to make it immediately viable. It's a sound investment and, with us as silent partners, enables Rawlyn and Izote to run the business themselves. I thought in time, Jenny could take my place on their little board. That's what merchant banks do, we see the potential beyond the initial balance sheet and make the impossible happen."

"But I am in charge of new business and didn't see any proposal -"

"That, sweetheart is because I personally loaned them the money from my, well now our, accounts."

"But you went away, you left me, and were totally out of contact."

"Yes, I'm sorry, I went away because Wayne was living in your house -"

"On the sofa, Jake, you know he said he had nowhere else to go. I would never -"

"I know, of course you wouldn't knowingly give anything away, nor would I but we had to be careful. We only promoted Wayne to CEO of Winstone's in the first instance to give him enough rope, and as expected he speculated on world markets and lost a fortune, at least a fortune on paper."

"On paper?"

"Yes, we've been monitoring him and my facilities management team worked the computer interchange to make it appear as though he was trading when he was not. We have had programmers working round the clock intercepting and gathering evidence. He has been losing money for some time. It came to light last year, but we couldn't track down the evidence. It identified a loophole in Winstone's security."

"Wayne, my Wayne, OK, not mine, but the kid's father, you are saying that he was using the bank's money to speculate?"

"Yes, we figured he was using the bank's money in private transactions, making profits, which he creamed off and paid the bank back within the accepted settlement period, fiddling the books to hide the transactions. But then he started losing money and he covered the tracks by stealing from other accounts and hiding the transactions."

"But how?"

"He used dormant accounts, stealing from people who rarely accessed their accounts. Some savers just draw interest, while other accounts with balances that remain idle for years. Winstone's security was archaic, but we suspected something was going on and as soon as we tightened up and identified the stolen accounts, whoever was doing it shut down their activities. We had no evidence, so we needed a 'cookie jar'."

"We tightened up, sorry, who's 'we'?"

"Me, Gran and Gerry had about 25 per cent of Winstone's between us, so I set about buying the rest. Through Gran's influence with Winstone's board, we retired the CEO and appointed Wayne in his place, sat back and watched for him to start his tricks again. Then he did the unexpected. He had a limited invitation board meeting two weeks ago, blaming the losses on his predecessor and getting agreement to put together a takeover bid for Standhope Winter, to disguise the losses from the City. And then he shut down the bank's print room, locking Sally out and breaching their contract with SHN."

"So you couldn't talk to me with Wayne around?"

"It was essential that he had no inkling of what were doing. I had already chanced a brief meeting with him at Jenny and Clay's request, but once he moved in...."

"So you weren't worried about him and me, and stayed away from me for that reason?"

"Absolutely not. I know I can trust you, Gill. I know we love each other and only needed a push to commit to each other for life. You are no longer the insecure woman you were at Christmas, you are a confident, beautiful woman who knows she is adored by her family and me, not necessarily in that order."

Gill smiled and pulled him in for a kiss, "Yes, I am that woman, or if not exactly, at least you make me feel like I am. I was worried about us all this week, but I do love you."

"And I love you too, but I must leave you now and ensure the takeover at Winstone's is a smooth one. And I want to be the one to tell Wayne himself."

"Will he go to prison?"

"What, the father of my soon-to-be-stepchildren? No," he chuckled, "he's going to manage the Istanbul branch."

"Ah, that's where Istanbul comes in. I heard you talking in the car. But isn't that a dangerous part of the world for a Westerner?"

"Speak to Jimmy, he'll reassure you of Wayne's safety, he has hand-picked two guys to accompany him at all times."

"Jimmy the driver?"

"Yes, he's a member of the Nicholls family, our family, darling, you'll meet them all soon enough, long before the wedding. Pretty well all the print shops staff, the IT contractors, the drivers, the cab drivers, the security staff, caterers, cleaning staff are family or connected by marriage, working for my, our companies. I must be off, do you want to walk down to the car with me?"

"I'd like a quiet word with Gill, if I may, Jake," Gertie said from the bed, "girls' talk ... essential girls' talk."

"Of course, Gran, I was forgetting Barrington. Gill, would you and your lovely children care to join me for dinner tonight at our apartment?"

"Yes, of course, that would be lovely, what time?"

"I might be a little late and, I guess, you might be too; Gerry will explain your new role. I'll ring you later and give you some idea once I have assessed the situation. Just let yourself in. Say you'll stay the night, Clay and Jenny have already packed enough clothes and will be picked up from school by our cab company. I spoke them this morning. Kelly should have the forms for you to fill out for the school so the kids can be collected by our cab company. They'll have sorted out what rooms they want by the time you get home, I'm sure. You OK with that?"

"Yes, darling, I'll see you when you get home," Gill said. "And is it Jimmy, Sally and her husband that want to move into my old house? Because they can as soon as I pack my stuff. I'll leave it fully furnished."

"Thanks, Gill, Sally will be relieved. Actually, it is only Sally, Grant and her sister Christina that want your place, Jimmy's taking the Janitor's flat. He's your driver now, so it will be handy all round to have him on the premises."

Gill still looked dizzy, "My driver?"

Jake kissed and hugged her, "Gerry will explain everything when you get to the office. I'll send Jimmy back to collect you. See you tonight, my love."

He kissed his grandmother before leaving, "now don't overtax yourself, Gran, I've got this covered. You just rest and get well, we have a wedding to arrange and I want you on the front pew behind me."

"Of course, dear, I'll only keep her a couple of minutes, besides Michael is here to ensure I do not overdo it."

Jake nodded to Barrington and Sir Michael, finally squeezing and kissing Gill's hand as he went by her and departed.

Chapter 12

"Come and sit here, Gill dear," Gertie patted the side of the bed and turned to address Barrington, who was already walking forward, "do you have both the documents ready, Barrington?"

"Both, Gertie?" he asked and, on her nod, "of course," handing them over to Gertie.

"Are these the pre-nups to sign?" Gill asked.

"No, of course not, dear ... we don't, well we haven't so far, gone down that distasteful route. If you feel it necessary or events warrant, you could of course opt for that. But I don't think you will need to. Barrington's daughter Caroline was originally earmarked to look after your legal matters in future, only she is presently on holiday in Africa with her family. Now, circumstances have changed suddenly so we have rather been caught on the hop. Caroline is good, brilliant in fact, she has a young family and is about your age, maybe a couple of years younger, so I think you should develop a rapport quite quickly."

"Ahem, if I may be so bold?" Barrington asked, pausing until Gertie nodded, "I have spoken to Caroline this morning and she is available to return at any time if need be, but I assured her that I would make myself available to you in the interim. Your secretary at the bank, Kelly, has been given all Caroline's contact details and has booked appointments for her to see you immediately on her return. Kelly is currently organising the moving of your office into Gerry's old office, while he is moving into the office next door. And Caroline, who has given me three delightful grandchildren, is about eighteen months your junior."

"All right," Gill said, "reaching for the folder Gertie offered, "but I like to thoroughly read all the documents before I sign them."

"Of course you must, my dear," Gertie said soothingly, "but these two papers are only single-sided pages." She paused while Gill opened the folder, "That first sheet is a form of proxy so you can vote for the 13% of Standhope Winter Bank shares currently registered in my name. That is just in case there remains any attempt to takeover or merge the company at the board meeting on Wednesday, but we don't think that will happen now, after Jake's sterling efforts. You will of course be voted in as joint chief executive with Gerry at that board meeting. Gerry will stay on, on a part-time basis, ready to take over during your honeymoon and if ... if you fall pregnant, for example. You do want a child with Jake don't you, my dear?"

"Er, yes, a couple, if possible, he's such a sweet man, our children would be ... amazing. But, what's this about being joint CEO? I've only been a department manager at the bank for three months or so."

"Gill, even I know that you virtually ran that department for two years prior to taking over as department head. No, you have been tracked throughout your career and earmarked as a future leader of the bank, and not just because Jake has been fond of you for all these years. This is a family decision, that he has deliberately kept out of. I thought he avoided the discussions because he was generally disinterested in the bank, despite his success as a businessman in every other field he has entered. Once he brought you into his life, my dear, the reasons for his reticence became all too apparent, as did by implication his true opinion of your worth, confident that you would be regarded as outstanding without any influence at all on his part. So, this sheet has already been witnessed by Michael and Barrington, will you sign the proxy?"

"Yes, of course, this is quite the most straightforward and agreeable document I've ever signed," she signed, noticing as she held the paper with her left hand how brightly the blue diamond shone, "it is just that all this is just so much, almost too much, all at once. And this ring, it is so lovely and, being engaged to the man of my dreams, I am at a loss for words."

Gertie patted her hand, "That ring was my first engagement ring, too. It is 1.44 carats, one of the deepest blue diamonds ever found and absolutely flawless. It was purchased in its raw state in the 1880s and studied for many months by the jeweller commissioned for the work before the stone was cut and polished. You are its fifth recipient in the family."

"Gosh!"

"This will all seem a bit overwhelming for a couple of weeks, dear, while we get you up to speed. Belinda will help, but remember that you never have to tackle anything alone. We are a family and we can and do rally round to help. Jake is all about family. It will get a lot easier, dear, believe me. All this wealth and power are merely minor distractions which have to be attended to from time to time, but most of it runs like a well-oiled machine. You can call on a range of resources that can give you the help and advice you need and carry out your instructions to the letter. Leaving you able to concentrate on fulfilling your life in happiness with Jake and your immediate family."

  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Novels and Novellas
  • /
  • Jake and Gill
  • /
  • Page ⁨11⁩

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 23 milliseconds