Just a Chance Ch. 02

I chuckled to myself as I wondered how many times she had thrown up last night. My strong best friend was at her most vulnerable state and I knew it was hard for her to share that with me.

I began to feel what Lora needed more than anything right now was her best friend. This was not a time for me to be pushing my feeling on her and I felt more certain that the choice I had made at the bar to go on a date with Mel was the right one.

Mel and I had ended our evening helping a very drunk Lora into my car.

Mel didn't know her as well as I did and couldn't see the turmoil in her eyes.

I knew I had to get her out of there and after what Lora told me that pain was probably something Mel had gotten used to seeing.

I didn't exactly know how I felt about what happened to Lora. It was a mixture of anger and sadness.

Seeing her so fragile, so broken nearly broke me, but I knew I had to be strong for her.

I felt Lora stir beside me as she nestled her face a little deeper into my shoulder.

I slowly rose to my elbow and moved the hair out of her face.

"Rate your hangover from one to ten."

She grumbled a bit before I heard, "Fifteen."

"Do you think you're going to throw up again?"

She shook her head.

We heard a few hard knocks from my front door and I felt Lora grimace from the sound. I didn't feel like getting up just yet. A few harder and louder knocked rang through the apartment.

"Make it stop," she pleaded as she turned and placed a pillow over her ears.

I chuckled as I finally got out of bed and walked towards the door reluctantly. It wasn't that late, and I knew I didn't have any meetings this morning, but I was more than certain there was a certain blonde at my door.

I opened the door wide to her without looking.

"Amelia Charlotte Reid! Where the hell have you been?!"

I laughed as she marched her way in.

"Amanda seriously? My middle name?"

I could see she was in no joking mood, but the slight tinge of red on her face brought out a few more giggles.

Before she could yell again I took her hand and led her to the kitchen.

"Before you go off again I just wanted to tell you I got it all sorted out. I'm going on a date with Mel tonight and I'm giving up on Lora."

I watched as Amanda's face calmed a bit with the new gossip.

She would never admit it, but she enjoyed being in the loop. Even though she tries to act like she's some cold business machine, she is still a woman underneath it all.

"So, all this happened last night?"

"Yes."

We both heard the shower from my room kick on and I watched as a sly grin went across her face.

"So, that's why you didn't show up to work today. You had a busy night."

I nudged her with my shoulder as I walked past her to the cabinet to get out three mugs for coffee.

"No that's Lora. She spent the night last night."

Amanda quickly turned me around to face her.

"How is she being in your room and in your shower fixing things Amelia? I know you have a perfectly furnished and stocked shower in your guest room."

I shrugged my shoulders.

"She got a little too drunk last night and couldn't really sleep on her own."

"So, you, being the kind person, you are, allowed her to jump into your bed without a second thought."

I gave her a quick glare as I finished preparing the coffee maker.

"It's not like that and you know it. We are best friends and it didn't mean anything more than that."

"To her maybe, but we both know you have deep-rooted feelings for her and doing anything remotely like this is only going to hurt you, Amelia."

She sighed, and she placed a hand on my shoulder.

"I think it's great you took a step forward by accepting that date, but don't take two steps back by letting little things like this happen. You and Lora are friends. That's it. So, there are certain lines you shouldn't cross especially if you don't want to hurt this new girl, Mel."

I knew she was right, but she also didn't know the other circumstances. Lora needed me, and I won't say it was a mistake being there for her.

"I see your point, Amanda, but now isn't the time to linger on what already happened."

I poured us both a cup of coffee before I started on breakfast.

Amanda had brought me a few briefings I needed to review and confirmed our appointments with a few manufacturers for builds we were working on. It had easily been a few hours before she finally said goodbye and that she would see me in the office later that afternoon.

I felt a twinge of guilt as she hurried away. I was never one to miss work even for an uneventful morning and I knew Amanda relied on that constant when things like this appeared.

I sighed as Lora finally and slowly appeared from the master bedroom.

The dark circle under her eyes were still present, but the shade of green was gone.

"Would you like some breakfast?"

She immediately grabbed her stomach.

"No, thank you. I just need coffee with lots of sugar in it."

I smiled when I remembered what a sweet tooth she had and began to make the coffee that was way too sweet for anyone else's palette.

She seemed to rejuvenate as she sipped her coffee and her eyes gleamed with joy.

"You still remember how to make it just right."

I smiled as I leaned on my elbows on the counter of the bar towards her while sat across from me.

"Mm-hmm. You refused to ever drink anything else in the mornings and somehow I was the one always making it."

I took a long sip of my own coffee before I tackled the elephant in the room.

"Lora, last night you..."

I bit my lip trying to find the best way to talk about this.

"Last night you mention Valentina."

I watched as her head lowered as if she was ashamed.

"Yeah, that's about the only thing I really remember about last night. I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner."

I reached over and took her hand.

"It doesn't matter now. You told me, and I want you to know no matter what happened over there I still love you and you're still my best friend."

She looked up with a small smile, but I still could clearly see the pain in her eyes before her eyes suddenly widen with an almost overly enthusiastic expression. It sensed it was fake.

"So how did it go with Mel last night?! I saw you two kissing on the dance floor."

I hadn't expected the reality of her seeing us to affected me and felt as if I was punched in the gut, but I recovered quickly.

"It went really well. She asked me on a date and I agreed. I know you are friends and work together, so if you think this might interfere with your life or work I will cancel it right away."

Lora, if you ever felt anything for me this is your chance. Please, tell me not to go out with her.

The thoughts came quickly and with a small flutter of hope.

I didn't know why I needed to hear her say it. I knew I had promised I would just be her friend, but if she needed me to be more this was the chance.

I didn't quite catch or understand the small look that went across her face before she smiled.

"I actually think she's good for you, Amelia. She's a wonderful woman and friend. I know she can make you happy."

I took a deep breath.

"Thank you for your blessing," I said as I turned around and placed my empty cup in the sink.

Lora still wasn't feeling well enough to drive home by lunchtime. I gave her a bowl of diced fruit and left her in the apartment while I went to work.

I wondered if she would still be there when I returned?

I entered my office and found the slip of paper with Mel's number. I programmed it into my phone before texting her.

Amelia: Hi this is Amelia. I managed to keep Lora from making the apartment into a cesspool last night. What time did you want to go on that date?

Mel: 😊 Good afternoon! That girl definitely knows how to party. I have a pair of tickets to see the Beaulieu Company followed by dinner at Adele's Rooftop. Are you still interested in joining me?

I thought for a moment at what she was saying. Not only was that a very famous Ballet Company, but Adele's wasn't the easiest place to get a reservation.

Amelia: I have a feeling you were confident about getting a date with me.

Mel: One can only be prepared and lucky, and I was both.

Amelia: Than I will see tonight.

Mel: I'll pick you up this evening at six.

Amelia: See you then.

Mel: 😊

The rest of the day seemed to pass in a blur of people and paperwork. I had actually been more productive than the past few days and as the evening came to an end Amanda didn't have that look of an angry mother.

As I walked to my car I pulled out my phone and called Lora. I hadn't heard much from her since I left the apartment and wondered if she was doing alright.

"Hey, Lora how are you feeling?"

"I'm doing better, and I made it home."

Her answers were short, and her tone seemed a little off, but she must still be feeling the effects of the hangover.

"Well, I was on my way home and was wondering if you were still there, but I see you aren't."

"I wouldn't want to intrude on your first date with Mel."

Then I really heard it. There was a bit resentment in that comment.

"Is everything ok? Are you still not feeling well?"

I heard her sigh on the other side.

"Not really. I'm sorry I'm a bit irritated. Chloe got into something and there is a big mess that I'm trying to clean up."

"Right... Well, I leave you to it. I'll talk to you soon."

"Have fun, Amelia and thank you for last night."

Her voice had softened, and I knew she really meant it.

"I will. Good luck cleaning your place up."

The conversation seemed a little forced and slightly awkward. This awkwardness had been happening more frequently lately and I didn't like it. Well, more like I didn't understand it.

I shoved it out of my mind as I entered my vehicle and went home to get ready for my date with Mel.

Lora

When did I start lying to Amelia? There was no mess. I had just been sitting here on my couch staring at the black screen on the wall.

Mel had called me not long after Amelia had left to work to tell me the exciting news that Amelia had confirmed the date for tonight.

She was so excited and happy. I tried my best to be happy for her, but I couldn't.

I got a buzz and looked down to see a text from Travis.

Travis: Let me in!

I rolled my eyes as I walked to my door to buzz him into the building. It only took a few moments before there was a hard knock at my door.

"Good evening, sunshine," he said with his bright smile.

Travis was just so cute that my mood immediately lightened up and moved aside to let him in.

"What brings you by? Is the city not to your liking?"

He gave me a mischievous grin as he flopped onto my couch.

"Oh, I've been quite entertained especially by a young private investigator."

I froze before closing the door all the way.

"You didn't."

He winked before he continued.

"Oh, I most certainly did and by the way, I think I'm in love," he said with a big sigh as he fell back on the couch.

"Wow, you and Michael. Just wow."

I closed the door before I sat on the couch next to him.

"You know he's one of my best friends and I would really appreciate if you didn't hurt him."

Travis sat up straight.

"Ok, I know I have a slight reputation."

I laughed.

"Slight? I saw a different guy exiting your trailer practically daily."

He grinned a little, "Ok I have a slight problem sometimes, and honestly that was all I expected with Michael, but it was so different. He was so different."

He sighed again.

"He just saw right through it all and even laughed at me. He asked me how men fell for the fake charm. At first, I was insulted, but as I sat there I realized he was right. I was fake. I acted like the handsome playboy people wanted me to be, but the more time I spend with him the more I began to remember the real me. Even if I was refusing to admit to him how right he was, he continued the date with me touring New York. By the end of the night I was smiling not for the prospect of getting laid, but because I was having the best time of my life."

I sat there examining Travis. It was true that Michael had that sixth sense. He also wouldn't waste his time on someone he thought was deceitful or a bad person. He must have seen what Mel and I saw, a misunderstood young guy looking for love in all the wrong places.

"Ok, Travis, if you say so, but remember I have known him since I was a kid and if you hurt him I will cut your balls off."

Travis quickly placed his hands on his lap to protect himself.

"I promise I'll behave."

"Now how are things going with you? I must admit I found it weird that Mel was going to go out with Amelia."

I turned to him almost surprised.

"Amelia is a great woman anyone would be lucky to get a date with her and the same with Mel."

His face became serious and he sat a little closer taking both my hands into his.

"Honey, I tell you this cause I honestly care about you, but I saw how you were looking at Amelia and that's not adding how much you talked about her since we met. You can't say that's just a friendship. You have feelings for her and I think this thing Mel and Amelia is going to blow up in all three of your faces."

I sat there in silence. Deep down I knew he was right. Deep down I wanted to be the one going out with Amelia. Everything that has happened and been happening has led me to start believing that, but am I too late?

"I can't. Not only did I give Mel my blessing, but Amelia asked too. I told her to go for it and that it would be good for her."

I heard him groan under his breath.

"It's hard for me to tell you what to do, Lora because Mel is my friend too, but I think you have to tell Amelia how you feel, even if you get rejected."

The prospect of getting rejected nearly broke my heart and who was I to date Amelia Reid? She was beautiful, successful, brilliant, and completely out of my league.

Even if I had a chance could she accept the things I had done in the past? Not just with Valentina, but all the other women.

I had to admit my philanderer ways made more sense now. I never could truly love anyone because my heart already belonged to one woman. I just didn't know it at the time.

I wondered if it was the same with Amelia?

"I need to sort more than just my feeling for Amelia, Travis."

He nodded before changing the subject to his dates with Michael.

Amelia

The evening had been wonderful and the ballet breathtaking. Mel was dressed beautifully in a black with gold accessories evening gown. While myself in a yellow spaghetti strap v neck gown.

It wasn't a surprise when we catch a few flashes of the paparazzi as we exited the building. Mel had held me close and it had been obvious we were there on a date. The idea that by tomorrow everyone else would know too made my stomach flutter.

She quickly escorted me to her driver before we headed off to dinner.

With utmost confidence, she took my hand as I sat next to her in the backseat.

Dinner wasn't anything less than spectacular. The restaurant was beautiful, and the table Mel had reserved for us not only gave us a beautiful view but privacy. After we had finished eating she looked over at me almost sorrowful.

"What's going on?" I asked.

She sighed. "I'm just not ready to let this evening end."

I smiled as I took her hand and began to lead her to the edge of the rooftop. I let her hand go to signal to the waiter before leaned on the railing.

"Yes, Ms. Reid?"

"Did you receive my instruction earlier today?"

"Yes, Ma'am. This area is to be reserved for you and your company till you see fit."

"Thank you," I said with a smile before looking towards Mel.

"How did you manage that?" She asked with a raised eyebrow.

"You know people to get us tickets to an already booked ballet. I just happened to be an investor in this restaurant and figured you would enjoy a longer evening?"

She stepped forward and kissed me. Her lips were soft and tantalizing. I wanted more, but she pulled away.

"Yes, I would love if our evening continued and I'm really happy you agreed to come out with me."

I looked at the beautiful woman standing in front of me. Even though there are many times I can't get Lora out of my head, here was Mel the only woman able to truly captivate my attention. Everything was just so much easier with her. I didn't have to hide or avoid my feelings and compared to the other women I dated I actually liked her.

"Amelia, how do you handle the stress? Being an actress can be stressful and at times I do feel like I must be in character, but usually, once the cameras are off I can usually breathe. You probably can't?"

I didn't know if it was her charm or just the calmness I felt around her, but I knew whatever I said it would be the truth.

"I never stop. Especially after my father died. He trusted me so much he left me his business, his legacy, in my hands. Not only do I want to keep the name he created, but I want to build it to be more than what my father aspired it to be. I want to make the Reid company my own. There are times I feel I am in over my head, but the moment I sit in my office or in my room with a sketch pad and let my imagination flow I understand why I am there. Like my father said everyone can dream, but only a few can turn those dreams into realities and I am one of those few."

I had been staring out into the night sky, but when I turned to face Mel, her face was filled with admiration and awe.

My eyes slowly began to roam over her body and I felt a flurry of desire and need to touch her, do things with her. Unlike what my friends assumed I wasn't exactly experienced in sex. I wasn't a virgin, but it just didn't seem to happen very often with me.

Now looking at Mel I understood the pain to want to have someone.

I stepped forward moving a strand of her hair behind her ear.

"Let's go to my place," I said as my lips moved to her neck.

"Sure," she quietly moaned as lips traveled.

I didn't stop or even make an effort to move from my spot after her answer.

"Amelia...Please..."

I felt her tremble against me as I continued to kiss and nip on her neck.

Her hands moved to my back and began to grip me tightly.

"I want you so bad, Amelia."

I smirked into her neck finally deciding to stop the torture I was inflicting on her and took her hand leading her off the rooftop.

Lora

I had to see her.

I looked at my watch one more time. It was nearly eight in the morning and I knew Amelia would be leaving her apartment soon. I would just happen to bump into her on her way to work. Inconspicuous right?

As the taxi pulled up I, in fact, saw Amelia exiting her apartment complex looking as radiant as always, but the surprise was the person walking out with her.

In what I knew was Amelia's clothes I saw Mel walking next to her with an evening gown over her right arm.

Had she spent the night?

My heart began to race a bit faster when I saw Amelia hug and kiss her before opening the door to a taxi and letting Mel step in.

I paid my cab and made sure Mel's taxi was out of sight before I finally stepped out.

The look on Amelia's face was filled with confusion and a bit of delight.

"You're never up this early."

I had a million comebacks to that, but nothing escaped my lips. It felt as if I was a fish without water and only gasping for air as my chest constricted.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 17 milliseconds