Little Red Haired Girl Ch. 03

"Shaw is hardly a credible witness." said Dwight Stevens. "He's been a rip-roaring drunk for years. And Ms. Franklin is a child. How sure are you that she really saw what she said she did?"

"You seem to know a lot about Shaw already." I said, my eyes boring into Stevens's.

"That's because I had them run a workup on Shaw after you told me on the phone that Paco had bought Shaw alcohol." Jack Muscone said.

"Fair enough." I said. "But I interrogated Shaw and Frieda myself, and I think I'm pretty decent at seeing things, such as facial expressions. I'm as sure as I can be that both Shaw and Frieda recognized Paco in the photo as the man they saw."

"I'll accept that." said DEA SAC Rutherford Lyndon. "Commander, you told Agent Muscone that you wanted the DEA to explain what's going on with these people, and I think it's fair that you and your associates in here be told that, seeing as there are possible murder charges involved. Dwight, go ahead and tell them what you know."

Stevens said "We originally thought that these three were involved in what we knew were massive drug shipments into the State. That turned out to be the Marcie Harper operation, and unrelated to these three, as far as we know. The photo in the club at Turpin Heights pretty much fell into our lap by accident; we were doing surveillance on some of Orrin B. Taggart's people down there and our agent just happened to catch these three together."

Stevens continued: "We opened an investigation of them, and it came up through a standard check with the FBI and then the CIA that Tomoko Shimono was a disavowed CIA Agent and believed dead. We then began investigating Barsbane and Paco. Barsbane is all over the place. He was recently seen in the City, as Mr. Muscone told you the other day. We had nothing on the other two until you put out the APBs."

"Tell them what we've found so far." said Lyndon. "And what we've been unable to find."

"Barsbane was working with a Vice President of SPS, named Dick Granger." said Stevens. "Granger recently made a trip out west, to some crappy little nothing town. We have an idea that he was out there scouting a possible distribution hub for SPS, which leads us to wonder if they're going national in scope."

"If I may, Dwight..." said Muscone, interrupting. When Stevens nodded, Muscone said "To put this in context, Edward Blassingame, the CEO of SPS and Board Member of several companies, has long been considered to be on the fringes of the Superior Bloodlines group of Crony Capitalist Elitists in this country. We're not sure of his intentions in that small town, which some of you may be familiar with, but just about anything Blassingame and Granger are doing must be considered suspicious by us."

"Thank you, sir." said Dwight Stevens. Then he paused and said "Really? Some of you are familiar with that little town? It's the very definition of 'backwater'."

"The cemetery needs improvement." said Teresa Croyle, flat deadpan.

"I heard the disc golf course there is pretty decent, though." Cindy Ross replied, not batting an eyelash.

"Why don't we continue, Agent Stevens?" I said, partially to keep from bursting out laughing at my Angels's comments about Teresa's hometown, and Stevens's facial expressions at those comments. Martin Nash was also trying not to grin.

"Uh, sure." said Stevens, looking as bewildered as I'm sure he felt. "Anyway, Granger was out there, and he's been seen with Jerry Barsbane in this State. As to what we aren't finding: we're not finding anything solid that connects all three of those people, except that one photograph; and we not finding anything related to drug distribution among any of them."

"We also have found no connections between those three and the SBI-NTF." said DEA SAC Rutherford Lyndon. "And that is a connection I've been looking for and am particularly interested in. To explain: I agree with those of you, Sheriff Griswold and Commander Troy in particular, who knew that Jack Lewis was an exceptionally dishonorable man, and his SBI was as corrupt as anything I've ever seen, especially the NTF."

"Was?" Cindy Ross asked. "Past tense? You think Jack Lewis is dead?" I love Cindy Ross, but sometimes she just asks the wrong question at the wrong time.

"Well, I meant while he was SBI Director." said Lyndon. "But to answer your question, I think he was a potential link to U.S. Senator Samuel Russell, and it would long since have been in Russell's best interests to nip that problem in the bud."

"Sir," I said, "you were saying about the NTF, and possible connections?"

"Yes." said Lyndon. "I was seeking a connection between the NTF and the Three Amigos. Nothing so far."

"With respect, sir," I said, "it's doubtful that you'll find a connection. I have reason to believe that those three are not involved in drugs, but in industrial espionage."

"How do you figure that?" asked Muscone.

"A confidential informant told me someone was in my County." I said. "The description fits Paco, and this C.I. told me that the word he'd gotten was that the perp was in Town for industrial espionage reasons. That also fits the M.O. of the Tomoko Shimono we knew back in the day of Pastor Westboro, the Consultant of Crime. And I can see Barsbane being involved with that, transporting something out once it was stolen."

"That makes sense." said Jack Muscone as the Federal agents all went into reveries.

"Anything else you need from them, Don?" Melina asked.

"I'm curious." I said. "You spoke of Senator Samuel Russell. Any connections involving him coming up in any of this that I need to know about?"

Rutherford Lyndon nodded. "Yes, you are as good as Muscone said you were. Okay, here's the background that I have on Russell."

He started: "I know you've been after Russell on those rape charges, and his connections to BigAgraFoods and that whistleblower that died down in Rocktown a few years ago. Well, Russell has been hip-deep in a lot of Swamp excrement for a long time. He's really worked on behalf of BigAgraFoods and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce to prevent any positive actions on Illegal Immigration."

"But Russell is not only dealing with the rape charges," continued Lyndon, "he's having to deal with a lot of Federal heat, as well. His influence in the Senate has gone to zero, and he's being treated as a pariah. We, meaning several Federal agencies, think he's getting desperate, and to that end, he's being manipulated by the Crony Capitalists and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce."

"Perhaps to influence Government agencies, and perhaps the Courts," I said, "to make certain rulings in certain cases involving railroad rights-of-way? And perhaps to bring Government facilities to certain... 'backwater' towns?" Yeah, that got their attention.

"Commander," said Dwight Stevens, peering at me, "Are you giving us a hint at something? Is there something you know that we need to know?"

"I'm trying to tell ya." was all I said in response, and in an excellent imitation of 'The Teacher'.

"Okay," said Melina, "I need to talk to these TCPD Officers and their Sheriff." The Federal agents, including the SACs, immediately took the hint. They got up and left.

"I'm going to share with you something else we've found out." said Melina. "It's about the man they're calling Paco. What those guys don't know, and won't find out from me nor the CIA, is that Paco was once a CIA Agent, and was 'disavowed'... just like Tomoko Shimono. Paco was a CIA 'wet boy' who used his martial arts skills to kill people quietly and from up close in places where other means such as firearms were not possible to use."

"Guys," Melina warned, "if you think Red Brooke was skilled, please understand that Paco is even more skilled. I'll be candid, and blunt: some of you almost got your heads ripped off by Brooke, and by rights you should have; fortunately it was him that lost his head." (Author's note: 'Agents and Angels'.) "But if you think that because you held your own against Brooke that you'll have a chance in hell against Paco, think again. Don't even try to engage him in personal combat; if you get the chance, shoot the bastard dead from as long a range as possible."

"That is not a challenge, Green Crowbar." Teresa said, to Cindy. A green crowbar was waved in Teresa's general direction. "That goes for you too, Red Crowbar." Teresa continued.

"I hear ya." I said, not waving a red crowbar in anyone's direction...

Part 19 - Life and Dogs

Sunday, February 24th. My daughter Tasha's 3d birthday was the next day, February 25th, so we had a party for her at The Cabin. Carole, Jim, Ian, and Ross were there, as was Laura, Molly Evans and Tasha's mother Paulina. Cindy and Callie also came, and brought baby Betsy. Bowser and Buddy made themselves available for skritchins, and were well rewarded for their 'generosity'.

As the kids played, the adults sat and talked. Cindy and Molly and I were in the front room where the TV was, and we discussed the Frieda Franklin case.

"I alerted the Nextdoor County Police about this Paco guy." said Molly, who was Chief of Police of the NCPD. "But no one has seen him nor those others. What we did get was a Town Hall meeting with our State Senator, Katherine Woodburn. She said they were working on a Budget solution, to not believe rumors spread by the Press, and then she talked at length about the need for a new SBI-NTF."

"Nothing new under the sun, there." said Cindy.

"Except that when she was asked directly about whether this new NTF would be able to come in and usurp the jurisdictional authority of the NCPD, she said that if the situation warranted, like a multi-county drug investigation, then the State entity would, quote 'have to' supersede the locals." Molly said. "That didn't go over very well."

"Hmmm," I said amusedly. "I wonder who asked that question. Possibly... the NCPD Police Chief?"

"Not much gets by you, Mr. Iron Crowbar." Molly said to me with a flirtatious smile.

"Like I said," said Cindy, "nothing new under the sun."

"Yep." said Molly. "Anyway, we did get a call from the U.S. DEA. They said to be on the lookout for Paco per the APB, but if we sighted him to consider him extremely dangerous... and they asked us to call them before contacting, quote, 'any other local jurisdictions', unquote. When I asked why we shouldn't contact the TCPD first, since they're our neighbors and since they put out the APB, the DEA Agent said that Paco was wanted on a Federal warrant for interstate drug smuggling, as well as being extremely dangerous, and that they would 'appreciate' being notified first." She'd made air quotes at the word 'appreciate'.

Cindy and I glanced at each other, and Molly noticed it. "What?" she asked.

Cindy spoke first. "Who was the DEA Agent you talked to?" she asked.

Molly replied: "He said his name was Juan Alberto Morales, and he was assigned to the City Office of the DEA in the Federal Building. I remember the name because he used all three names as if it were a special identifier. He gave me his number, as well."

Cindy looked over at me. "You know, I didn't have the best vibe about those DEA guys we talked to the other day. Muscone vouches for them, though, so I dunno."

"Rutherford Lyndon would be in the Guardians of Justice, if they still existed." I said. "Muscone asked for him to be assigned to this region as DEA SAC, and Muscone got his wish. Dwight Stevens is legit, but hasn't learned to trust people with crowbars yet. Morales works with them out of their City office. He mostly focuses on the Illegal Immigrants brought into the rural southeast part of the State to work on the farms down there, and the drugs they bring in to rural school kids who don't have a damn thing to do but get drugged up."

"I'm still going to call you before I call the DEA if this Paco guys shows up." Molly said.

"Smart lady." I said with a smile. "Brains as well as beauty must run in your family, from what I've seen." Molly laughed. Cindy just shook her head and rolled her eyes. She must not play on my team, I observed and deduced...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The call came in at 2:00pm. DFACS had approved the Barkers as foster parents, and they (the Barkers) had agreed to take in Frieda. Cindy and I took Frieda to the Barker home.

Frieda was nervous as we brought her inside and introduced her to the Barkers. "Aren't y'all mad at me?" she asked. "Your son died throwing me out of the way of the car that hit him."

"Frieda," said Mr. Barker sympathetically, "that was no fault of yours. We're very glad our son was able to save your life, so that you didn't die with him. And I happen to believe that God has a plan for us, for all of us. Maybe our son saved you so that you could come into our lives." Frieda nodded, but was solemn as she looked around, seeing the photos of Officer Barker on the mantle. The DFACS person and I had been watching from a distance away.

She said "Dr. Yates of the University Psychology Department says it will be okay for Frieda to stay here, and he'll follow up. But Commander, I'm not so sure."

"Let's introduce Frieda to the rest of the family, and see if things get better." I said.

"The rest of the family?" the woman said. "The Barkers have no other children, nor close relatives around here." But I was already entering the room.

"Frieda," I said, sitting down with them, "there is one other thing. The Barkers need your help taking care of someone." I then waved Cindy into the room. She was carrying the redoubtable Barky, son of the redoubtable Bowser.

Frieda's face changed from uncertainty and misery to sheer joy at the sight of the dog. Cindy put Barky down and he raced up to Frieda, jumped onto the sofa next to her, and barked twice, his tail wagging mightily.

"Barky!" Frieda said happily. "Hey, Barky..." She began petting him, and Barky looked very happy to be receiving the love.

"Yes, we need your help with Barky." said Mrs. Barker. "But he'll be your responsibility. You'll have to help feed him and take care of him."

"Oh, I will!" Frieda said. "Is that okay with you, Barky?" Barky barked, then cuddled up with Frieda as she continued to pet him.

I turned to the DFACS person and said "I think it's going to be okay." She could not help but agree.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

7:00pm, Sunday, February 24th. After everyone else left, including Laura taking Carole, Jim, and the dogs back to the Mountain Nest, Cindy and I cleaned up and then had a quick chat.

"Just between us, Don," Cindy said, "what did you think of that meeting with the Feds? What did you really think?"

"It was triggered by my APB for Paco and Tomoko Shimono." I said. "The Feds, especially the DEA guys, did not like it at all that I did that. The meeting was also partly for Rutherford Lyndon to meet me. I think he and I are going to get along very well, at least when we're working to keep the SBI-NTF in line, if not destroy it altogether."

"But more to your question," I said, "we have to remember that Dwight Stevens was once an FBI Agent that was going to be sent undercover to penetrate WorldBankTrust. Now he's with the DEA, but I really suspect that he's still working with the FBI on what may be a remnant of Superior Bloodlines. Notice that in that meeting the names of Edward Blassingame and U.S. Senator Russell came up, as well as our little trio of industrial espionage experts."

"And they were shocked when you knew about that, as well." Cindy said.

"Yes, they very much were." I said. "And that's Muscone and Nash's part in all this: there is something going on at their level that we're not privy to. Anyway, what other vibes did you get?" I asked.

"Mr. Lyndon liked you, a lot." Cindy said. "I think you're right about him being no friend of the SBI, particularly its NTF branch. I get the feeling Dwight Stevens is frustrated. I felt it when Teresa's hometown came up. He knew that we knew something about it, and that we were making jokes behind his back that went over his head. And you've said in the past that he feels you kept stuff from him in the Marcie Harper case."

"True." I said. "And I admit I gave him reason to believe that on the Harper drug bust. But that evened out when he wanted to take Marcie out of my jurisdiction under my nose."

"And we're not flying Whirlybats around here just for the fun of it." Cindy said. "I also got the sense that Stevens is trying to take shortcuts... he wants you to tell him what's going on so that he doesn't have to figure it out himself, then he'll go make the busts."

"And if he'll just use his own brain instead of wasting his time and energy picking mine," I said, "he'd have no problem making those busts..."

Part 20 - Puzzle Pieces

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded reporterette at 7:00am, Monday, February 25th, from in front of the State Office Building. "Channel Two News has learned that a compromise Budget bill has been reached in Midtown!"

Bettina began: "Sources tell Channel Two News that a Budget bill was agreed upon in principle by leaders of both Parties in both Houses of the State Legislature, as well the deeply unpopular Jared Administration. What is not clear is whether the Leadership can get the rank-and-file Legislators to accept the compromise Budget bill. We have with us political expert Dr. Adam S. Keller of the City University Rodham Foundation for Political and Social Change. Dr. Keller, is the Budget a done deal?"

"It's hard to say right now, Bettina." said Keller. "It's not clear how anything that would be acceptable to the strong bipartisan coalition that refuses to give the Governor anything on Immigration would also be acceptable to Jared and his racist, white nationalist supporters. I continue to believe that House Minority Leader Wilson Hammonds will prevail over Governor Jared, and that they will dictate the terms of any Budget bill that is passed."

"But will a Budget be passed, Dr. Keller?" Bettina persisted.

"I believe that a Budget will ultimately be passed, Bettina." said Keller. "They will have to override Jared's veto, and they will. It will be a huge defeat and humiliation for Jared, and he should consider resigning before he's impeached and removed from office in a further humiliation."

Bettina smiled brightly at that as she said: "Thank you, Dr. Keller. In other news, the Citizens For Police Accountability's lawsuit against Commander Donald Troy and his countersuit against them is expected to go to trial soon. It has been ruled that it will be a jury trial instead of a bench trial, as Commander Troy invoked the Seventh Amendment requirement that any civil suit of over twenty dollars must have a jury trial if desired."

Bettina continued: "The lawsuit is over Commander Troy's alleged excessive use of force in arresting Black Panthers that allegedly blocked voters at the polls, and also for negligence in not stopping a motorcycle gang that violently attacked a peaceful group protesting the disenfranchisement of voters after votes for Eldrick X. Weaver were disallowed by Judge Rodney K. Watts. Commander Troy countersued in order to obtain financial information on who made has legitimate contributions to the CFPA. Commander Troy has not responded to repeated requests for comment about the upcoming trial."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"As if we don't have enough going on." said Chief Moynahan as we sat in the Chief's Conference Room drinking coffee.

The Sheriff had joined the Chief, me, and my Angels this morning, having said something about liking the 'Navy' coffee over the 'weak' stuff I used to make, and me having said I need a Clan Advisor to help with that issue. He conceded the rhetorical point.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 18 milliseconds