Love Note Pt. 02

The moment she parked, an annoying guy with spiky hair and an affected accent scurried up to her to announce that he'd be assisting her with any and all of her Karma-related needs. She grabbed her handbag, beeped the car alarm into activation and strode up to the entrance without checking if he was keeping up or not.

Eric marched over to meet her as soon as she peeked into the banquet hall. "S'thandwa, come over here I want you to meet someone."

The girl he presented to her was tall and unbelievably slim. Her skin was the colour of golden beach sand and her natural hair was cut short. Ana watched her swaying to the band's run-through and giggle flirtatiously at Will before darting over at the sound of Eric's call.

She was stunning and knew it.

"Ana, this is Sindi -- she'll be featuring on 'Love to Give'."

This girl... She would be singing with Leo?

"No, she won't."

A few of the band members glanced her way.

"Yes, she will. Leo said this event would be a great career launch for a new artist. We scouted around all day last Thursday to find her..." Eric semi-shuffled a half-step back. "Won't she?"

"Leo picked her." Ana ignored the dark feeling coiling within. "Oh. I'm sorry. Okay... Sindi, I'm --"

"Sindi G." Her lips were pursed.

Ana hesitated. "I beg your pardon?"

"Sindi G. That's my stage name -- I told Leo when I came here last week. Please get it right."

Ana kept her snarl minimal. "Eric. A word."

Eric followed her amicably a few steps away.

Ana counted to five then asked, "You're sure Leo wanted her?"

"Yep."

"For how many songs?"

"Just the one."

"You're running rehearsals, right?"

"Right."

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"Yeah," she nodded. "One diva, on one song. I can live with that."

Eric started walking away, but turned back after a few steps. "Are you going to be as weird about the dancers?"

"What dancers?"

"Never mind."

***

From that moment onwards, the second week of December took on a life of its own. Monday was a blur of setup, choreography, blocking and basic run-throughs. Sindi got in the way half the time then settled down to pout when she learned Leo wouldn't be in that day. Her antics aside, Ana had to admire her ability to flick her professional switch on whenever Eric bellowed a request.

The spiky-haired kid found her while she was inspecting the booths on the higher levels.

"Hey, Ana? Jade would like a word with you in her --"

"Oh, there you are. What's your name?"

"Ray. I'm just so honoured to be a part of --"

"Save the schmaltz for Leo, Ray." She waved his words aside. "I'm going to need exact numbers and specs for everything to be sure it all adds up -- so, we're talking in terms of seating, off limits zones, dressing rooms, other passes, freebies and available services."

He blinked. "Yeah. Okay."

"You need to write any of this down? Because there's more."

"Uh, no -- no worries." He tapped his temple. "Photographic memory."

Ana squinted at him then laughed. "If you say so."

***

It was nice to have her friend home for supper -- Thandi even cooked.

Ana snickered as she watched her friend plate the meatballs and mashed potatoes. It felt good to revive old memories of having the same for supper as kids. But in between the laughter and the silly stories, she couldn't help wishing she could tell her friend about her morning.

Talk about what really happened the day she first saw Leo; and how scared she's been ever since.

And about her unpredictable heart.

"You sure you're okay now?"

Her nod came a little too quickly. "Of course."

"Good -- because I need you fit as a fiddle tomorrow." Thandi was too excited to eat. "The team from Purpose will be coming over early to interview me. I want you there, too."

Ana's gaze shot directly to hers. "But... they want to interview you. I'm not even a permanent member of Moyo, let alone interview-worthy."

"Except you are!" her friend exclaimed. "I asked Leo to pop in for some pics -- and will be talking about your brilliance in managing the Dream Reality setup."

Ana stilled. "No. I mean, I'm just an assistant. You manage --"

"Cut it, ntombi. We both know I've barely spent five minutes on this gala since your arrival. I walked you up to the pitch, but you're the one scoring the, um... touchdown thingie with a hole in one."

An interview. And photographs.

With Leo.

Thandi finally took a bite. "And, while we're on this, the gala interviews are rolling up for you guys this week."

"For Leo."

"You as well, cupcake." Thandi was giggling as she watched her friend's dread take shape. "Jade's been hounding me about coverage of Karma and their selfless brilliance -- yada yada blegh. She wants to be interviewed alongside Leo."

A sharp laugh slipped out before Ana could stop it.

"Exactly." Thandi rolled her eyes. "Which is why we want you front and centre instead."

"What?"

"Well... slightly off-centre, really. Leo's the main spotlight guy."

"No, Thandi!"

Thandi grinned as she pointed with her fork. "Oh, hell yes. It's perfect. I want the wish fulfilment organisation to get the best out of this airtime. I've been talking to the staff at Marianne's offices -- and can't say that much promise that way lies. I get the feeling Dream Reality and all the cause stands for would never make the desired impact with those softies simpering away... Marianne herself and the rest of the main employees would just never hold up in radio and television interviews."

"Funny, I was just thinking the same about myself," Ana muttered.

"Nonsense. You're grouchy, but fearless." Thandi pushed her plate aside. "Seriously, though, An. This is a great cause -- and I want to make sure Dream Reality is remembered long after the gala is over. Marianne is too skittish to get that right; and Jade is too slick to be trusted with speaking for Karma. I need you to be my one stone for these birdies."

It made sense. It sucked, but it made sense.

Ana huffed as she got up to fetch a much needed bottle of chocolate milk. "I'm starting to see why you're paying me so much for this."

*** VI ***

Ana spent the next morning flipping from station to station but found no peace.

Leo's old hits ruled the airwaves. The plushly purple Jacarandas zipping by as she drove poured their fragrance over her, tipping her equilibrium further. They conjured up too clearly the scents of Leo's majestic secluded haven.

Her meeting with Marianne Sachs had confirmed Thandi's assertion.

The woman was sweet and had her heart and head in the right place, but there was no way she'd manage weeks in the spotlight. She'd hugged Ana upon hearing the younger woman would be handling all interviews on her behalf. At least the property tour and briefing on Dream Reality's background had been very informative.

Ana turned the radio off on her way from the Dream Reality centre back to the office. The morning's heat was thick and still; she missed the unpredictable breezes that had annoyed her just the day before. The dense clouds hovering over Sandown ignored the grimace she flung their way as she marched into the office block.

She couldn't tell if it was the heat, the task that lay ahead or the heels she wore that irritated her most.

She felt too tall, too notable in them. And it didn't help at all that everyone in the Moyo reception area stopped what they were doing as soon as she walked through the main doors.

She raised a challenging eyebrow. "What?"

Laurika shooed the frozen staff members back to work before rushing over. "You look... so different."

"Are they here yet?" Ana tried to tug the deep V in her new shirt shut, but her breasts would not allow it.

"Yes, they're all in Thandi's office." She pointed at the shut door; then in the opposite direction at the room next to the kitchen. "The makeup lady's in the lounge, though. You might want to..."

Ana was already heading straight for Thandi's door.

Her friend was seated behind her desk, dressed in one of her power suits -- black suit, red blouse and red heels not made for walking in at all. The magazine team had already set up and a couple of lights were on standby though not lit yet. The sharp cut of Thandi's weave along with the precision of her professionally done makeup gave her an in-charge look that made Ana feel like the fashion pleb she was.

While two crew members adjusted discreetly placed reflectors to lift any shadows from Thandi's face, a woman with thick dreadlocks sat next to her, chatting quietly.

Thandi looked up first. "There you are, ntombi. That is a great new look!"

That was a lie. And not a very good one at that.

The only reason Ana had settled on this get-up had been to get to wear pants -- and because she was sick of shopping an hour into the nightmare the previous afternoon. And because the persuasive lady at the boutique had convinced her that the fawn formal cut pants and high-necked white shirt with its ruffled cleavage dip were stylishly fun yet serious enough for the office. Getting dressed that morning, however, had revealed that she and that Jezebel had two distinctly different definitions of "formal wear". And the bloody woman had talked her into buying not one but two cursed outfits.

She did not like how closely the clothes outlined her. Never one for cleavage, the dip at her front made her breasts look too big, too sexy, too everything for her liking. The floral print of her shoes was far too bright, even for her. And why the hell had she bought a matching bag?

The only thing she was proud of was the perfect bun she'd managed. Her wild mane was tamed and choosing to behave.

"Yoohoo... An?"

She scowled. "Can we just do this?"

"Right after you get your makeup done." Thandi was unfazed; entertained was more the word. "We're in the middle of going through the interview structure. Then questions. After that we'll all take a few photos -- hundreds, I'm sure -- and that'll be that."

Stomping was what Ana aimed for on her trek to the lounge - hip-swaying stroll is what she achieved instead in her elegant heels. The slender guy, the one who always had headphones around his neck and assisted with all the final mastering at Moyo -- his name escaped her -- he actually walked into the water cooler while gaping at her.

Ana wasn't sure what to make of that.

In the staff lounge, the makeup girl grabbed her before she'd even introduced herself and set about dabbing at her face while telling Ana about her slob of a boyfriend and her crush on Leo Boreas. Fast flicks of the wrist, even faster words falling from her lips.

"He is still coming today, right?" She was patting at Ana's eyelids in frenzied little flutters.

Ana exhaled slowly. "That's what I hear."

"I hope I get to take a picture with him. If I manage that, I'm definitely replacing the one of us on the nightstand."

Ana's eyes snapped open. "You already have picture of him, with him... on your nightstand?"

The girl put her hand to her hip. "I could've blinded you, you know. I really need you to keep your eyes shut."

With a sigh, Ana obeyed. "Sorry."

"Besides, it's supposed to be a surprise."

"Your picture with Leo?"

"No." Impatient huff. "Your makeup!"

"I'm sorry. You're... This is all a lot to take in."

"No, the picture is no surprise at all -- everyone knows I've wanted one for ages."

"But I thought you already had --"

"Are you even listening, missy??" Something soft and powdery was being puffed along her face. "The picture I have on my nightstand is of me and lazy Eddie. I want to replace it with one of me and Leo!"

"Uuhhh..."

"All done."

When Ana opened her eyes the girl was smiling happily at her. She blinked, unsure if feedback on the photograph plan was required. Thankfully the girl was too excited about showing off her talent to carry on with that topic. She dug a big handheld mirror out of her even bigger makeup case and handed it to Ana.

Ana's eyes widened. "Oh... wow."

The girl clapped quietly. "I know, right?"

"Thank you, uh..."

"Addie."

She finally managed to snap her astonishment from her reflection to the girl. "I'm sorry, what?"

"I know, it's ridiculous -- Addie and Eddie..." Addie shrugged. "But it's either that or put up with everyone calling me Adelaide. Not happening."

Ana reciprocated the shrug. "Makes sense."

Her eyes went back to the mirror.

She normally preferred dark, rich colours -- smokey or rustic tones around her eyes and rich burgundy or purple on her lips. When Leo had equated her makeup with her walls, he'd been spot-on. She became someone else under all those dark colours; felt she could walk through the world without feeling exposed. Maybe there was also a part of her that liked feeling unapproachable when covered up like that.

Addie had done the complete opposite.

She never wore any foundation, so having her skin matted now felt a little heavy -- but the even tone made the rest of her features stand out. Her lips were a decadent chocolate and pink shimmer, shades too close to her real self. And her eyes only had a hint of smokiness -- in calm greens that gave away too much of the brownness within her irises. Even her lashes looked longer and flirtier.

"You have a real gift, Addie," she told the expectant girl.

"Aw, it's just me having fun, that's all." Addie grinned. "You should call me if you need tips or something. I love playing with makeup."

Before Ana could protest, Addie scribbled her number in eyeliner and tucked the scrap of paper into her shirt pocket before shoving her out the lounge.

The stares she encountered in the main office area were worse. Laurika had a tougher time refocusing the men in particular. Headphones guy was saved bumping into things by losing all ability to walk at all. A nervous tremble rippled through her stomach. Ana felt like an impostor in her new look and was sure she looked like one, too.

Her thought as she hip-swayed back to Thandi's office was that getting through this circus act as quickly as possible would be best.

"I will not be disrespected or tricked into tabloid level trash!"

The words rushed at her and nearly knocked her over as soon as she opened Thandi's door. She stepped inside apprehensively.

"What happened, Leo?" Thandi was rushing to where he stood over the dreadlocked lady Ana had seen with Thandi earlier. "Khosi? What did you say to him?"

"I didn't mean..." Khosi was shaking her head, but didn't appear apologetic. "Look, you're huge. How else do you think my article got bumped up to a four-page spread? Moyo Management is the focus, sure -- but the country wants to know about Leo Boreas as well."

There was amber lava in Leo's eyes. "If bullshitting your way into side-interviews without the subject's consent is how you plan on building your career, you won't make it far."

"You're a public figure, Leo -- and your fans have a right to know what you're up to."

"Don't cross me, lady."

His shoulders were bunched, his voice deeper and his eyes ablaze. Ana could not understand how the woman was missing every single warning sign he gave off.

"I did not --"

"I will not go over my participation stipulations again." He was turning away, jaw tight. "I suggest you get out before I --"

"I'm back." Ana kept her tone light as she clicked the door shut without another thought.

She went over to Leo and took his hand, drawing him to Thandi's chair. Pure intuition had her believing he'd follow -- and he did. His eyes were on hers -- still angry, but also surprised. A gentle hand to his shoulder was enough to get him to sit down.

"How're you doing?" Her smile was wry and somewhat tentative.

He didn't smile back. "I've been better."

"I'm sorry."

"I didn't want to do this in the first place."

"I know. Me neither -- I'd rather be working myself into another health crash..." She felt his shoulder relax a little beneath her hint of dry humour. "What were your stipulations?"

"Only one: no questions about anything but Moyo and the gala." He let her watch the amber slowly simmer down in his eyes. "And you."

His eyes took in the way her shirt outlined her breasts and waist. Where it tucked into her pants, he took in the line of her hips. It wasn't a fully sexual moment -- he was still too angry for that. It was more an instinctive absorption, a possessive surprise at the newness of her.

Ana couldn't watch that.

So, she turned to the interviewer. "Khosi, is it?"

The woman started approaching them, but stopped at Ana's look.

Ana straightened her shoulders. "You're clearly an intelligent woman, so I'll give you a clear ultimatum. Assemble a knockout four-page spread. Actually take the time to really explore the exceptional creation that is Moyo -- I guarantee you, you will be deeply impressed. Do that well and you get the cherry which is an exclusive shoot and five minutes with Moyo's biggest client. You're the first one in the door, hon -- every other entertainment journo will envy you."

"The whole office is already abuzz with my huge break." Her eyes were lit up.

"However," Ana continued. "Fuck up one more time and I walk -- and Leo comes with me."

Khosi's expression twisted. "Who do you think you are to -?"

"No, Khosi," Ana's gaze narrowed in a direct confrontation. "Who the hell are you? And are you deaf? I just gave you an ultimatum. Are you going to play ball?"

Thandi cringed.

The magazine shoot assistants tried to blend into the walls while the photographer scrutinised his tripods.

A few uncomfortable moments passed during which Ana chose to concentrate on the feel of Leo's dark blue shirt beneath her one palm, and his hand in her other hand. Her eyes never left the shorter woman's.

She waited.

Eventually Khosi nodded, turning to Leo. "I'm sorry Mr Boreas. I had no right to ambush you with questions about your past and current relationships. It won't happen again. I do hope that when you are ready to talk about --"

Ana looked down at him. "Relationships?"

His gaze was steady. "I found it ridiculous that Khosi wondered if there was anything between Sindi and me; but asking me about Melissa and everything from five years ago was the limit."

"Wait -- Sindi?? Sindi G?!"

"There have been rumours about how good their song is." Khosi was down, but not defeated. "We all know that many creative connections run deeper than --"

"How about a do-over?" Thandi was walking over, clearly hoping to prevent more turbulence. "Everyone is here and ready for the photo session. So, let's get to that."

It took a moment to note the significance of how her friend had repositioned herself.

Ana observed the deliberate eye contact and the way Thandi turned her back to block Khosi's view. But it was a few seconds more before she realised Thandi was zeroed in on her hands, one holding Leo's and the other on his shoulder. And then she realised how they must look together.

She pulled them away, but not subtly enough.

"Yes, let's shoot." Ana marched over to Khosi to talk to her one more time.

The shoot was both easy and difficult.

For once, it was nice to have someone else in charge, telling them exactly where to pose and how. But it was also a challenge standing and sitting near Leo and having to stick to professionalism despite having his scent teasing her.

At one stage, Leo stood beside her, his arm around her shoulders. They were waiting where the photographer had left them to go squint at two different camera lenses that looked exactly the same to Ana.

"I like how you handled that." His hand squeezed her lightly.

Her eyes lowered. "Well, it was either that or watch your ticking time bomb detonate."

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 13 milliseconds