Love Unexpected Ch. 01

"A hero?" Paul scoffed. "What good does being a damn hero do if you don't even know how to find the guy you just fell in love with?!" He was aware his voice was getting louder and louder, but he just couldn't seem to stop. "I don't know what classes he takes, I don't have a phone number, I don't even have a freaking last name! So please, tell me, what the hell good does it do to be called a hero by you guys!" Paul felt like he could lash out at anyone near him, but seeing the face of a girl who was obviously frightened at his aggressive stance and raised voice snapped him back to himself.

One of John's signature whistles pierced the tension building in the air and his playful jab of, "Damn. You got it bad," dissipated the rest. Nervous giggles from several girls built to loud barking laughter from the rest of the guys as each agreed in their own way that Paul did in fact, have it bad. John spoke up again, however this time he addressed the crowd instead of Paul, "Okay, you all heard the man. Between all of us we should be able to find one limping, almost assaulted, recently rescued gay guy that Paul here has obviously got the hots for. Put the word out and get our boy here some information so he can go after 'the guy he just fell in love with'. Maybe then he will stop screaming at us and find somewhere for all that extra energy to go!" This time the cheers that went up were deafening, but Paul was smiling for all he was worth.

"Thanks man." Paul told John sheepishly.

"No problem, between the team and all our girls, we'll find you little dude." John had chuckled and followed with, "I'm actually curious to get a good look at what kind of guy is 'your thing', since it isn't 'big, hairy, muscle bound, meathead jocks'." Paul could only chuckle as his past words were repeated to him.

The next day Jennifer, one of the girls that was always in and out of the dorm, walked up to Paul with a huge grin and handed him a slip of paper. On it was written, 'Derek Grey, Biology Major, has a class at Terrence Hall at 10:00 a.m. on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.' Paul did something he had never before done in his life, and would never do again; he grabbed the girl around the waist, swung her around in a huge circle and planted a kiss right on her surprised and laughing mouth. He put her down and ran to his room to formulate an ambush. Tomorrow was Friday so Paul figured he could skip his first class and waylay Derek on his way into Terrence Hall. Some of the guys helping Paul plan said he should do it afterward, so that Derek couldn't use going to class as a means of escape.

"I can't believe he would run from the guy who saved him," said John. "After all, things would have been really bad if you hadn't been outside. By the time we all made it out there they may have already dragged him off somewhere."

"Well..." Paul could feel his face flushing as he looked around the room. "I didn't exactly tell Derek that I was gay. I think he was under the impression that I, um, was disgusted by that. Maybe." His voice had gotten smaller and smaller as he told them all about how he had reacted when he was checking Derek out and noticed the earrings.

"I know you could kick my ass," John said, "but that is some seriously weak crap. You didn't have a problem coming out to a room full of jocks, but you didn't tell the one little dude you should have that you're gay? I would definitely lead with that when you meet him again."

Paul just nodded, he thought that was probably a really good idea.

*****

It was Friday morning around 10:15 when Paul arrived at Terrence Hall prepared to wait for Derek. He didn't want Derek to evade him again, so he decided to come early. He thought waiting was the best plan in case the class was released before 11:00. He paced in front of the main entrance for thirty minutes before having the horrid realization that there was more than one way to get into the building. Paul's heart stopped beating for a second until he realized the other entrances all had stairs, which Derek might have trouble with since he was injured. Logically, the main one seemed to be his best bet. He tried to ignore all the stares he was getting from people who were entering and exiting the building.

Paul was used to being looked at, it was just something that came with his unusual stature. Tall people weren't that unusual, but he wasn't just tall, he was built like a tank, and he was definitely not someone that usually graced the front of the Biology building. He checked his watch for the millionth time. It was seven minutes after 11:00, and there was no Derek to be had. At a quarter past eleven Paul was considering that maybe Derek had not gone to class that day, or maybe he had avoided this entrance because he had seen Paul outside. He managed to really depress himself with that last thought. He stepped off the main sidewalk, and sat down in the grass, completely dejected. He kicked off his sandals and put his head in his hands, he felt miserable.

"Paul?" a soft, deep voice called out his name. He recognized it immediately. Paul's heart started racing as he jumped from his seat in the grass and advanced on the owner of the voice. He once again locked eyes with the most beautiful creature on earth. "I thought I saw you go around the corner, but I wasn't sure if I was seeing things or not," Derek said. "Of course, you are kinda hard to miss."

"I'm gay!" Paul almost shouted. Muffled snickers from people who had overheard his outburst brought a deep flush of red to Paul's face. Derek was just staring at him with his mouth open, obviously stunned. "I mean, I'm gay," Paul said in a more subdued tone, "So, I was wondering if you'd like to go out with me."

"I-I. I thought...Um, you're gay?" Derek asked when he seemed to have found his voice.

"Yeah." Paul was sure his heart would stop from all the stress as he waited for Derek's answer. Derek looked down at the ground between them for a moment and let out a muffled giggle. It was the most adorable sound Paul had ever heard, but at the same time it ripped open his heart as he dreaded the words that would follow it. Derek's eyes traveled back up to Paul's face. Paul was blinded by a set of perfectly brilliant white teeth as he was graced with the first genuine smile he had received from Derek. Paul couldn't help but notice there was a tiny gap in between Derek's two front teeth, it was the most damn adorable smile he had ever seen.

"You don't have on any shoes again. And yes, I'd very much like to go out with you."

Derek's whole face was bright pink. It took Paul a second to register that Derek wasn't laughing at him. When this realization dawned on him he was so elated that he grabbed the smaller man and, without thinking, lifted him off his feet. He had swung him around in a huge arc while laughing thunderously. The sound of applause made him realize where they were and that they still had an audience; however, the sight of Derek laughing and blushing was totally worth it. Paul gently put Derek down and ran to get his sandals.

When he took Derek's book bag Derek looked at Paul strangely and said, "I'm not a girl, so you don't have to carry my stuff." The strange tone of his voice made Paul look down at him, but it seemed that Derek was only embarrassed and not angry.

"Believe me, I know you aren't a girl. I still want to carry you books though, if that's okay." A small nod was all that answered him. "Do you have anymore classes today? If you don't, would you maybe want to go get some lunch?"

"I have another class." Paul drooped at that statement. "But, if you want to meet me after, we could go then."

"Absolutely." Paul said happily, "Just tell me where to meet you and I'll pick you up."

"I live in Palisades Apartments, do you know where that is?" Derek asked.

Paul knew exactly where that was and after getting the building and apartment number they decided that Paul would pick him up at 2:00 and they would eat a late lunch. Paul walked Derek to his next class and handed him his bag at the door.

"I'll see you later." Derek had said softly.

"I'm looking forward to it," Paul answered and shocked them both speechless when he leaned down, way down, to kiss the top of Derek's head. He had spun on his heel and left Derek standing there gaping at his retreating back. Paul's face splitting smile was visible to everyone he passed on his way back to his dorm room. He practically flew there so he would have plenty of time to get ready for what he knew instinctively would be his last first date.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 287 milliseconds