Manipulated Destiny

Jocie found it hilarious but understood none the less. After introductions, the three sat for a few minutes drinking coffee before Devyn excused herself to leave the new friends to continue with their night. When they were alone again, Jocie commented on Devyn's melancholy soul and said she had a friend just like that.

****************

Devyn leisurely walked down the street in the cool autumn air, enjoying the serenity of the breeze on this quiet moonlit night. Each shop she passed was already closed with darkened storefronts. A few joggers ran along with a pleasant nod of acknowledgement, and an older couple greeted her kindly with a 'good evening' while walking their Golden Labrador Retriever. Seems this place thrives on small businesses, well at least this neighborhood. I wonder if it's really like this in the whole town? So different from Chicago's nightlife. But it's really nice here. Peaceful. With the hard bound book tucked under her arm, hands slid inside her jeans pockets, and she breathed in the pleasant salty air.

 

Skyler finally finished the last of her reports. With a heavy sigh, she glanced at the time and rubbed her tired eyes. She shut down the computer and packed her belongings. Making sure the alarm was set and the door locked, she exited the clinic on weary feet. In the parking lot, she took a moment to look up at the stars that were beginning to announce themselves brightly above, and deeply breathed in the refreshing air. Thinking about what she might want for a late dinner she slid into the yellow Jeep Wrangler and pulled out.

 

The tall raven haired figure just rounded the corner, spotting the red tail lights of a Jeep as it began to turn onto the street, away from her. A strange feeling filled her being, making the fine downy soft hairs on the back of her neck stand on end. She stopped suddenly, looking around to see if she could pinpoint what caused this reaction. Releasing a long steady sigh, she brushed a large hand through inky black tresses. I feel like I should know something. There's barely anyone around and yet I feel... Oh hell, I must be going insane. Shaking her head as if to clear it, she decided to just return to the hotel and go to bed. As she turned around, she noticed the front of the clinic for the first time. Hmm, the architecture in this town is beautiful.

**************

As the morning sun filtered through the window, Hannah heard a tapping at her door. With a grumble and a 'yeah', Devyn waltzed in. "Just checking to see how you're doing."

"Yeah I'm fine. Got in at 5:30 this morning."

Devyn raised an eyebrow, playfully saying, "Well, well, well, it must have been fun."

A giddy grin spread from ear to ear. "Yeah lot's of fun talking, laughing and just getting to know one another. She's really awesome."

"That's wonderful to hear. I'll let you get some sleep then and you can tell me all about it later. I figured I would hang out at the ocean front and maybe check out a few of the shops. I won't need the car." As she pulled the door closed behind her, Hannah yelled, "Hey wait! There's a birthday party today around four o'clock for Jocie's friend and she invited you. Please come with me? You know I get really shy around groups. All her friends are probably going to think I'm real special in the head."

Devyn chuckled. "I thought you were always special in the head," she added with a hint of sarcasm.

"Thanks pal, and I thought you were my friend."

"Anytime. I'll meet you back here for your party, okay?" Devyn winked and disappeared behind the door.

**************

A good portion of the day, she spent it walking the coast and viewing the light house, enjoying the little local shops, and letting the salt water wash over her feet. The dark haired woman patted her stomach reminiscing over the scrumptious whole crab she ate for lunch. The chef surely outdid himself with preparation and presentation. She knew she could really get into eating seafood regularly and wondered if she would actually be able to live in little town like this.

 

"Have you ever thought about living somewhere else than here?" her young blonde lover asked as they laid on the couch curled up around one another.

"Hmm, I guess I really haven't. Why? Do you want to move after graduation?" A large hand softly slipped beneath the hem of the smaller woman's T-shirt, lightly caressing the soft skin at the small of her back.

The blonde snuggled closer, enjoying the feel of those fingers on her skin. "I was just wondering where I'd like to be when I have my practice, and curious to know if you'd object to moving."

A heartfelt kiss was bestowed upon the blonde crown. "I will follow you anywhere in this world. My home is where you are." Another kiss, this time on her lover's forehead, she whispered, "Unless you wish me away, in your heart is where I will stay."

Sea green eyes looked up, staring into ocean blue orbs. "Always the verbal romantic. I love you so much."

The memory left Devyn melancholy as she stared out at the ocean waters from the dock. She wondered what terrible wrong she had done that she had to karmatically pay for with the loss of her love. She knew her thoughts were not rational, but she couldn't escape from the pain in her heart.

 

Skyler stopped near the pier, in order to pick up the cake she had ordered a week ago from the best little baker she knew and frequented often. The owner had always been so nice to her and a true baker's touch. Skyler stepped up onto the board walk from 5th street and straight into the bakery. "Good afternoon, Ms. Warlington. I've come for my order."

"Oh Skyler, yes dear of course!" exclaimed the older woman happily. Tucking a gray lock of hair back into her bun, she turned to her assistant and said, "Jessica, please get Miss Catherwood's cake."

"How are things going today?" The short blonde asked.

"Oh it's been eventful. Busy as usual."

 

Devyn took a look at the digital clock on her cell phone. It was almost time for to get back to shower for the party. Leisurely strolling along, she noticed the little bakery at the end of the row of shops had a very tempting window display of pastries, pies and cakes. A particular sign in the window, which caught her attention, advertised the pie of the week. "Peach season is over. Come get your peach pie while they last." She peered into the window to survey the scrumptious goods. It had been quite a long time since she ate a homemade pie, so she decided to check it out.

A child's voice made her abruptly turn around. "My ball!" the small boy yelled as he ran down the board walk, chasing after a blue marbled ball which attempted to escape his possession. He must have been four years old, and Devyn's protective nature instinctively kicked in as her long legs sprinted towards the ball and brought it to a stop with her foot. She proceeded to bounce it on said foot and then up to a knee where she gave it a few more tosses upward before catching it between her hands.

The little freckle faced red-headed lad stopped abruptly in front of her. Huge green eyes looked at her in awe. As he caught his breath he proceeded to say, "Wow you know how to do tricks with my ball."

She looked at him in joyous surprise as she did not expect him to be such an articulate little man. Crouching down to his level, the bakery stood behind her as she held it out to him. "You've got a fun ball there. Wouldn't want you to lose it."

"Thank you," the boy stated as he took his prized possession. "Thank you for saving it from getting lost."

At that moment, the boy's mother came running up. "Oh my god, Justin," she said panting, "Please don't ever run off like that again." Trying to catch her breath, she continued, "We talked about you not running off like that honey."

"Sorry mommy," he said with a pout. "I was scared for my ball, but it was saved. See?!"

 

Skyler walked out of the bakery, happy as can be because the cake looked amazing and she knew it was going to be delicious. She quickly headed back to her car, knowing she was running out of time, and had two more stops to make.

 

"Thank you for stepping in and preventing him from getting away further," the young mother said gratefully. "You seemed rather proficient with the ball. Do you play soccer?"

"I used to back when I was in college but that was a long time ago," Devyn said standing to her full height once again.

"Well from the looks of it, seems like you still play. Thank you again."

"You're welcome." Devyn said with a smile, and a quick look at the time. "You two have a good day." She said with a wave as she jogged off to the hotel.

***************

The party was well under way with the folks who had already arrived at Jocie's house. Many of them came early hoping to get the inside scoop of how things were going with her new girlfriend. "Guys, we've only been on one date, but you all already have her pegged as my girlfriend," Jocie commented as she surveyed the selection of alcohol on the counter next to the fridge.

"Yeah but you two hit if off well, right?" asked Marilyn as she poured herself a glass of Riesling.

"Yes we did," Jocie answered with tell-tale smirk. "She has a great laugh, and we talked about everything under the sun." The auburn haired woman leaned against the kitchen counter, and poured herself a fruity Chardonnay.

"Mm hmm, and have the two of you done the dirty tango yet?" Ben chimed as he sat at the kitchen table dramatically crossing his legs and arms and blinking so innocently.

"It's not all about sex, Ben," Jocie retorted.

Brown eyes widened. "Uh, it is for us fags, hun. He needs to know how to suck it like a Hoover and fuck it like the Energizer Bunny if he wants to keep my attention." He said with a flamboyant laugh and a snap of his fingers for an added effect.

"Oh come off it, harlot. Everyone knows you really want a long term relationship with someone who will cuddle, cry, and laugh with you." Jocie commented.

"Quit ruining my wet dreams, bitch." He retorted with tongue stuck out for emphasis. Suddenly they all heard the doorbell. "I'll get it," Ben hollered in a sing-song voice on his way out the kitchen. Opening the door he welcomed three more people, including his BFF Ricardo. "Smooches darlings," he threw out in the air for all of them. When he began to close the door, it abruptly came to a halt. "What the hell?" he claimed as he pulled it back open.

A tall stoic woman dressed all in black with a traditional leather biker jacket held the door firmly with a large hand. The steely gaze of azure eyes stood out against the raven hair that fell around her face. Ben had to tear his eyes away when the timid voice of a shorter sweet looking girl in glasses just behind the Sasquatch said, "Hi, I'm Hannah. This is my friend Devyn. We're at the correct house, right? Jocie Stevenson?"

Looking back to the taller woman, and then at Hannah again, he said, "Uhh sure hun, you and you're friend, Amazon warrior princess, come right in."

"It's Devyn. Her name is Devyn," Hannah answered absently with a giggle.

Devyn's six foot frame towered over the five foot, four flamboyant man. Without a sound, she walked past, and he failed to notice the barely visible mischievous smirk across her face.

Ben fanned himself and couldn't resist saying, "Oh Daddy, spank me."

Devyn chuckled silently without turning back.

Jocie came in from the kitchen, surveying who arrived. "Great just about everyone is here, including our wonderful birthday girl," she commented as she gave a gentle squeeze to Marilyn's shoulder. She spotted the face that piqued her interest immediately, and stepped up for a greeting. "Hey Hannah." A wide grin graced her features as she watched the young woman smile in return.

"Hey," Hannah responded as they held hands for a minute.

Hazel eyes looked up at the tall silent figure. "Thanks for coming out Devyn. It's going to be a blast tonight. These clowns, I adore as friends usually are a riot."

"Well thanks for the invite."

In the back of her mind, Jocie couldn't shake off the feeling that she had seen Devyn somewhere before, but couldn't figure out where.

Everyone was introduced and various conversations began as they all got comfortable and picked at the available finger foods set out on the dining room table. Devyn knew she was going to feel awkward amongst all of these strangers, and it also didn't help that she had allowed herself to become so socially inept over the past years. Feeling a little out of place listening to Marilyn, Jocie and Hannah talk so animatedly about the next Comic Con, she decided to go into the kitchen for another glass of iced tea.

Devyn looked out the sliding glass doors into the yard, debating on whether she should stick around or go on one of her routine solitary walks. Even though everyone there was friendly and kind, she still felt like she didn't belong. It was difficult to relax and just enjoy being with people who wanted to get to know her. She felt as if she lost a part of her very soul ever since she lost her love. Devyn's jaw tightened as she berated herself over the onslaught of thoughts about the past. Fucking get a hold of yourself. This is not the time or place to be emotional. She knew she had to stop the rise of emotions or quickly get away.

 

"Hey where the hell is Skyler?" Marilyn finally asked as she tried some of Jocie's famous artichoke dip. "Isn't she like an hour late?"

"You know, I have no idea but she is responsible for bringing the cake," the blonde answered. "I'll give her a call."

At that moment, the front door swung open. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry guys," Skyler declared.

"Hey." Everyone greeted almost in unison.

"Well finally girlfriend," Marilyn said, and then added sarcastically, "It's hard to have a birthday party without a cake."

"I had problems with a late walk-in at the clinic. I really didn't think it was going to take long, but I'm here already." Skyler ranted.

"Just put the cake on the table there and get yourself something to drink and join us." Jocie stated.

"Here hun, let me get that for you," Ben added taking the large box from Skyler.

 

Devyn finally conceded to at least spend some time in the yard to be alone and gather her thoughts. It's not like anyone is going to miss me. With her drink in hand, she grabbed the handle to the sliding glass door, but then suddenly caught the sound of footsteps entering the kitchen. The hairs on the back of her neck bristled abruptly. Not really wanting to turn around to engage in pointless conversation with anyone, she was about to continue outside, but something pressed on her very being to not move. It was as if she had been rooted to the spot. Trying to shake off the strange feeling, she willed herself to move but didn't understand why she couldn't.

Skyler wasn't surprised to find someone in the room. Looking at the backside of the tall body with the broad shoulders momentarily reminded her of someone from long ago. She grabbed a cup, quickly surveying the selection of liquids, but a part of her couldn't stop looking at the silent individual in the doorway. I should at least say hi. There is no way this person didn't hear me come in. Though I wonder why she? He? Is just standing there without at least turning around. "Hi there, are you Hannah's friend?"

That voice! Why is that voice so familiar? Devyn's head spun with a bombardment of dizzying thoughts.

"I'm the doofus who was supposed to be here hours ago with the cake and help decorate, but work got the better of me."

No, no , no! It can't be. I'm just hearing things. It was the same soft sultry yet angelic voice that haunted her dreams. Could it be possible for someone else to have that voice? Am I going insane? As her mind flooded with images, memories, and conversations, she slowly turned around to face the ghost of her nightmares.

"So what's your name? My name's S...."

Frightened azure colored eyes locked onto emerald green ones.

Skyler gasped in horror, quickly covering her mouth with both hands to keep from screaming.

Devyn's mouth fell open in disbelief, and her heart threatened to pound right out of her chest. She could not utter a syllable. She didn't know what to think or do when there before her stood a vision she never thought she'd behold again. Noticing immediately that the blood had completely drained from the blonde's face, she dared not breathe as she attempted to quickly reach out to her before the woman fainted.

It all happened so fast, in such slow motion before their very eyes. Skyler could hear her heart hammering loudly as all of the air was sucked out of her. Jade green orbs beheld the love of her life and a scream erupted inside her head, begging for the nightmare to cease. Then everything went black.

Devyn tried her damnedest to take a step forward as she witnessed the blonde's arm attempt to brace the counter to keep the owner's body upright, but it collided with a couple of the liquor bottles sending them to the floor in a crash. Devyn's hands missed grabbing the shorter woman as her own knees gave out, and they both went down.

Everyone heard the shatter, and they all rushed into the kitchen. Jocie, Hannah, Ben, and Marilyn looked at one another for a moment before returning their bewildered gazes to the couple on the floor. The sight seemed strange and so tender at the same time. Devyn was on her knees cradling an unconscious Skyler in her arms. Shards of glass and liquid surrounded them.

Devyn lovingly gazed at the face she remembered so well. The strawberry blonde hair was much lighter in color now and shorter too. The shaggy locks framed the facial features beautifully. She wiped at the tears which spilled down her cheeks with the back of a hand before softly caressing the cheeks before her.

Confused forest green eyes slowly fluttered open. Seeing the face of her haunting dreams watching her, tears immediately sprang forth. "Oh god no," Skyler choked out. "Go away. Please go away." She shut her eyes, willing herself to awaken from this nightmare as she mumbled incoherently.

Devyn held back a sob as the pain of those words struck her hard.

"Wake up. This is not real. Wake the fuck up already." Skyler continued to repeat to herself, louder this time.

It finally dawned on Jocie why Skyler was reacting like this. She sees her lost love in Devyn's face. Can it be that she resembles the woman so accurately? Even I was trying to figure out why she seemed familiar. It's like she's a doppelganger. Jocie crouched down in front of them and grabbed Skyler's chin. "Hun, open your eyes. Come on Skyler. You're not dreaming." Watching the green eyes look right into her hazel brown orbs, she repeated, "This is not a dream."

Skyler looked at her best friend, and a sigh of relief washed over her. "Oh Joss, it was..." From the corner of her eye she noticed the figure on the other side of her. Looking at that ghost of a face leaning back against the cabinets watching her quietly, she turned back to Jocie fearfully pleading, "Gods Joss, please..."

"Hun, you're not dreaming. I swear. You're awake. We're all right here. I'll prove it." Right at that moment she pinched Skyler's leg real hard.

"Ow!! Fuck!" Skyler yelled and immediately sat upright, punching Jocie in the shoulder.

"Damn, I should've expected that," Jocie commented as she winced while rubbing the affected area.

Skyler wiped her face and looked around at everyone, recalling now that they were all at Joss' house to celebrate Marilyn's birthday. Her eyes fell last on the figure sitting against her. Filled with fear, she tried to swallow the lump in her throat as she tentatively and nervously placed a hand on the raven haired woman's chest. A large hand came to gently rest on top of the smaller one, and as blue and green eyes connected, there was no stopping the new wave of tears for either of them.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 16 milliseconds