More Than Just a Fairy Tale Ch. 21

"Um, Sam, um... These men say you won't let them in to treat a patient. And, they are saying he's some sort of wolfman. Do you have any idea what the hell their talking about?" asked Sheriff Dobbs.

"Yes, I do. One of my oldest friends fell ill, and this nosy bastard came in just as I was trying to get him to bed. He called the paramedics and I called Doc Rogers here. He's Brian's doctor. Now Brian didn't want to go to the hospital to die, and told these two yahoos to leave him alone. When they didn't leave, he got upset. He got more upset when they tried to push me out of my own room. They panicked and made one hell of a scene.

"Okay, and what about this old man Brian being a wolfman?" asked the Sheriff.

"Well, Brian is a furry kinda guy. A lot of those Canadians are that way. He growled at them and then coughed and fell out of bed. So if that makes them think he's a wolfman, it ain't my fault," said Sam.

"And how is Brian doing?" the Sheriff asked Doc.

"He died about fifteen minutes ago. Might have made it long enough to call his family if these two shits hadn't harassed him," said Doc. He scowled at the two paramedics.

"Hey man, we were just doing our job," said Dave.

"No, you were interfering with a man's right to die peacefully," said Sam. Now get out of my place!"

The two paramedics grabbed the last of their gear and headed for the door. Matt turned around. "What about Betty Jane?" he asked.

"I've already called her. She'll bring the morgue wagon and we'll deal with him," said Doc.

Matt nodded and walked out.

"I still need to see the body," said the Sheriff.

"Come on in," said Sam. She wasn't happy and felt no problem in letting everyone know it.

Sheriff Dobbs walked over to the bed. He pulled down just enough of the sheet to see Brian's face and then let the sheet fall. "Sure hairy enough. Musta been a shave twice a day kinda guy," was all he said. He tipped his hat to Sam and Doc. "My condolences."

The Sheriff left the room and soon it was just Sam and Doc. Sam looked around. "How long till Betty Jane gets here?" she asked.

Probably two hours. She's gotta put on that fright face she calls makeup and then wake up Teddy to drive the hearse. Why?" he asked.

"I've got a phone call to make," said Sam.

"Can't it wait? It's 3am," said Doc.

"No, not with those two idjets spreading rumors and such. Plus, maybe they know a place to take Brian so there aren't no photos or autopsies," said Sam.

"Then what you waiting for?" asked Doc.

Sam went and got the phone and brought it back to her room. She dialed Ginny and Patrick's number.

*

Patrick heard the phone and tried to ignore it. Ginny woke up and got the phone. "Better be important if you're calling at 3:05am!" she thought. "Hello? Oh Sam!" she said.

Patrick woke and sat straight up when she heard Ginny say Sam. He listened as Ginny talked. He nodded and went to get his own cell phone. He took it out to the living room and called Dr. Jeff. He explained what he'd heard from Ginny and then rang off. When he got to the bedroom, he found Ginny crying. Patrick took her in his arms and just held her. He knew he'd get the whole story when she stopped crying.

Dr. Jeff called a friend of his who ran a family mortuary less than ten miles from the B&B. He arranged for them to pick up Brian from the B&B. Then he called Doc Rogers and let them know what was going on. Then he went back to sleep.

"So, she got him back in bed, and he told her that he loved her. That she reminded him of his daughter. Then he died," said Ginny still crying. By this time, Patrick, George, Angie and Ginny were sitting in the kitchen. "Oh, and he said we were to have all of his stuff."

Angie wrapped her arms around Ginny and the two of them cried. Patrick motioned to George. The two men walked over to the far side of the kitchen.

"Are you thinking there is going to be trouble?" asked George.

"Depends if those two paramedics decide to make trouble," said Patrick. "We just need to be ready. It's happened before, and with all the books out about shifters and vampires, who knows what will happen."

"Yeah. My Gran said there was a horrid time when she was a child. Whole families moved in the middle of the night just so that people would leave them alone," said George.

"Well, I just hope no one gets any pictures," said Patrick. "From what Ginny said, he partially shifted to protect Sam."

"Shit," was all that George said.

*

Doc found Sam in the kitchen of the B&B. She had locked the room where Brian was and had come to make coffee. "Sam, Dr. Jeff sent a funeral home that deals with good people," he said not wanting to be overheard saying the word 'shifter' as the paramedics were running their mouths about wolfmen and werewolves.

"When will they be here? Betty Jane is due any time.

"They called and said they'd be here in about five minutes," said Doc.

"Good. Patrick and Ginny will be up in the morning. Said they were coming up with friends," said Sam.

"Okay. Here's hoping that Matt and Dave don't turn this into a circus," said Doc.

"They better not. Else, I'll let Patrick eat them," said Sam.

Doc nodded in agreement.

*

"Sam!" called Betty Jane. She was looking around the lobby and didn't see anyone. "Sam?"

"Back here dear!" called Sam. She had just taken the coffee cups back to the kitchen. She walked up to Betty Jane and then they headed to Sam's bedroom.

Doc was sitting in front of the bedroom door. The two men, Donald and James, from the funeral home were there too.

"Howdy Doc," said Betty Jane. She nodded towards the two morticians. "Shall we get this show on the road?"

Doc stood up and unlocked the door. They all walked into the room and Betty Jane did what was required under the law. "What time did he pass?" she asked.

"About 3am," said Sam.

"Okay," she said and walked over to the table to fill out the death certificate. "I take it you'll hold on to this?" she asked Sam.

"Yeah, at least until we go through his papers and see if there is any next of kin," said Sam. "You two ready to take care of him?" she asked the morticians.

"Yes ma'am," said Donald, the taller of the two.

"Then get going. It's been a long night for all of us," said Betty Jane. "I'll send Steve over to steam clean the mattress if you want or haul it off."

"Thanks Betty Jane. I'll walk you to the door," said Sam.

"Good. You can tell me why those two idiots were talking about werewolves," said Betty Jane as they walked towards the front door.

"You have as good an idea as I do. Just 'cause some old man is a little furry and they startle him awake doesn't mean he's unnatural. I think they're just pissed that I didn't let them haul the poor old guy off to the hospital to be kept alive and run up bills no one can or will pay," said Sam.

"Agreed. Some people should just be allowed to die. That man musta been at least 100," said Betty Jane.

"At least that. He's got pictures of him in a WWI outfit in his room," said Sam.

"Oh my. Hope you find some relatives to give that stuff to," said Betty Jane.

"That's what I'm going to do later today. After everyone's gone, I'm taking a nap!" said Sam.

"Don't blame you. If I hear those two idiots running their mouths, I'll smack 'em for you," said Betty Jane. "Bye!"

"Bye dear," said Sam as she closed the door. She wrote a note and stuck it on the bulletin board stating that the kitchen was available for whoever wanted to cook. Then she headed back to her room.

Donald and James had just left her room as she came around the corner. Donald continued down the hall with the gurney. James came to talk to Sam.

"We'll cremate him and have his ashes ready for pick up in a day or so. I'll call you," he said.

"Thanks James. Was there much... um... mess?" Sam asked.

"No, I don't think the poor old man had eaten much in the last day or so. Steam cleaning will be real easy. Plus, we got here quickly. If you have any questions, just give me a call," James said and handed her a card.

Sam thanked him and went into where Doc sat in her room. He was holding the death certificate and starring off into space.

"Wool gathering?" Sam asked.

"Yeah. Too damn early to be up," he said. "I'm going home to take a nap. I suggest you do the same."

"I am. Going up to #5 and locking the door. I only have three guests and left them a note to fend for themselves for breakfast," said Sam.

"Good. See you later," said Doc and he left the room with her.

Sam locked the door and headed up to room #5.

*

Patrick, Ginny, Luc and Meg were in Luc's Subaru. George and Angie were following in George's F150 Ford Truck. They'd packed and left by 4:30am. No traffic at that hour of the morning made for quick travel. Luc signaled the left hand turn that lead up to Spoon River. Once they turned off, Luc slowed down to look for an out of the way parking spot near the Spoon River B&B. Good thing too, as there were a bunch of cars out front. Luc passed them by and turned where Patrick pointed to a fenced off entrance about a block down. George followed.

"Damn, what a mess," said Patrick.

"What in the hell is going on?" asked Meg.

"Probably those two paramedics stirring things up," said Ginny. "I'll go in the back and see if I can find Sam. Ginny headed through the back yard and paused for a moment to look at Buster's empty backyard retreat. "Hmmm, may have to do something about that," she thought.

She opened the door to the kitchen and peeked in. A sleepy looking Sam stood at the stove. Ginny walked over and hugged her.

"Sam, I'm so sorry," she said.

"Me too," said Sam. "Where's the rest of your bunch?" Sam asked.

"Outside waiting to see if I could find you. Let me go get them," said Ginny.

Sam nodded, wiped the tears from her eyes and went back to making chile. A few moments later, in walked one of the biggest men she'd ever seen followed by Patrick and three other people.

"Sam, this is George Moreau and his girlfriend Angie, and Luc Moreau and his wife Meg," said Ginny.

Patrick walked over to Sam and wrapped her in his arms. He lifted her up and just hugged her.

"Damn it's good to see you two, but what a mess," said Sam. "Now put me down and explain who's who before the bunch at the front desk get past Dotty."

"Who's Dotty?" asked Ginny.

"She's the little gal I have to do the rough work when things get busy. She don't talk much, but she works like no other. She's holding down the front desk. I shut down the B&B except for those already here and you bunch. So right now she's trying to tell everyone else where they can get rooms," said Sam.

"Why? Are the two paramedics still saying Buster, um Brian was a werewolf?" asked Patrick.

"Yes, Idjets. Betty Jane don't believe them, and we got him off to that funeral home right quick, but those two have mouths. My big worry is when they notice that Buster is missing," said Sam. "Now who are these people to you Ginny?"

Ginny could see that Sam was trying to change the subject. "Luc and George here are brothers and my oh so many times removed cousins. Angie and Meg are new to the family and don't..." Ginny left the unsaid hang in the air.

Sam nodded. "Nice to meet all of you. Ginny, I gave you your same rooms. Didn't know how many were coming, but there are two more rooms down that same hall. Keys are in the doors," she said.

"Okay, Luc and I will get the bags," said Patrick. "George, I need to talk to you," he said and gestured for George to follow. The three men left the kitchen.

"Sam, where's a bathroom?" asked Meg.

Sam really looked at Meg for the first time. "Oh! Honey! Right down this hall," she said. "When are you due?"

"In about five months. It's twins, so I'm huge," she said as Sam showed her where the bathroom was.

"Oh my. Luc's a lucky dad. Come back to the kitchen when you're done and I'll have some iced tea for you," Sam said.

"Oh, that sounds good," said Meg.

Sam headed back to the kitchen. Ginny was keeping an eye on the chile and Angie was washing up some dishes.

"Now you two didn't need to pitch in," said Sam.

"Oh yes we do," said Angie. "We've been up as long as you, only sitting in the car and moving feels good. Besides, we'll 'disappear' faster if we're seen to be helping you rather than sitting on our asses."

Sam laughed. "You'll do just fine," she said. Sam got out the iced tea, poured four glasses and sat down for the first time in an hour. "It has been a long day and it's only noon."

"I agree," said Ginny.

Patrick and Luc entered the kitchen with the luggage and kept going. Sam looked around for the other man and didn't see him. She set more glasses out for tea, and was about to ask Ginny something when the two men came back.

"Sam, I need to talk to you for a minute," said Patrick.

"Okay, what's up?" Sam asked.

"Well, we know what's going on out front, and as soon as they see Buster's old house outside, they're going to get curious," he said.

"Yeah, I was trying to figure out how to cope with that," she said.

"We've already figured out how to do that. What I need from you is to come out to the backyard and don't be upset," Patrick said.

"Okay," said Sam and they walked out the kitchen door. When everyone had joined then, Patrick put his hands on Sam's shoulders. "Buster!" he called.

After a moment, the dog house shook, and slowly out walked a huge 'dog'. He was scruffy and slow, but when he came over to Sam, he rubbed up against her hand and sat next to her.

Sam started crying, and Patrick put his arms around her. "Oh..." was all she could say for a moment. Then she bent her head down to 'Buster's' and whispered, "George?"

'Buster' thumped his tail. Then he walked over to his bowl and flipped it with his paw.

"Oh! Water!" said Sam and filled the bowl. Everyone, including 'Buster' went inside once he'd had his drink.

Sam hugged Patrick. "Damn good thing you warned me. Otherwise there'd a been two funerals," she said trying to dry up the tears.

"Well, we all noticed the empty dog house and knew that would give them ammunition. Now we can produce 'Buster', and in a week, he can either come home with us, or pass on," said Luc.

"You're a fast thinker Luc," said Sam.

"Well, it helps when you run your own company," he said.

"Yes, and soon you're going to have your hands full too. Congratulations," Sam said.

"Thanks. I just hope I survive," he said.

"Luc, you'll do just fine," said Patrick. "What he didn't tell you is that he's the head of this crazy family."

"Oh, an alpha....." started Sam.

"In fact, the name of our company is Alpha Wolf Technologies," said Luc as he blushed.

"And he's a very good boss to work for," said Angie.

"Oh hon, how are you gonna cope with... um..." Sam tried to ask diplomatically.

"Knowing him, he'll come up and sleep with me. No problem, Sam," said Angie.

Sam nodded.

*

Luc and Patrick walked into the lobby of the B&B. Dotty looked exhausted.

"Dotty, take a break, we'll help out," said Patrick.

Dotty smiled and ran.

Luc looked around at all the people still milling in the lobby. He cleared his throat to get everyone's attention. The sub-vocals were subtle, but made everyone snap around.

"I'd like anyone who isn't already a guest to depart. There has been a death in the family, and we'd like time to grieve in private. There are other hotels in Spoon River that would be glad to have your business. However, this establishment is closed until after the funeral. Do you understand?" said Luc.

"You don't have any right to kick us out!" yelled one man. "That old man was a werewolf, and we know they're hiding something. The damn dog disappeared and they have to be one in the same!"

"The dog disappeared?" asked Patrick.

"Yeah! Everyone says you never saw the dog and the man together 'cause they were the same person. So don't go trying to tell us he wasn't a werewolf," said the man.

"So, just because a dog disappeared and an old man died who needed a shave and a haircut, you're saying that he was some kind of supernatural being?" asked Luc.

"Yes! And the owner of this place knew it! She tried to kick the paramedics out before he shifted on them and then wouldn't let the sheriff or the coroner see the body. They just whisked it off in the middle of the night to hide the facts! Won't tell us where they took it either!" the man said loudly.

"And what was that dog's name?" asked Luc.

"Aw, everyone knows the dog's name is Buster. Big old smelly looking husky thing," said another man.

"Sort of like that dog over there?" asked Luc pointing to 'Buster' who had decided to watch things from the hall.

"Um, yeah," said the man looking a little shook by the sight of the dog lounging in the hall.

"Did you ever think that maybe, just maybe the dog was inside? Or, that he was asleep in that fancy dog house of his outside? Or do you always jump to conclusions?" asked Patrick.

"Well, they said it happened and I've never known them to make things up like this," said a woman.

"Ma'am, it was 3am. They got woke up and put out on a call. They nearly scared an old man to death by trying to do vitals on him and pushing his best friend out of the room. They made it up because they screwed up. Brian wasn't a werewolf, he was just a very old and rather hairy man," said Luc.

"I still say there's something fishy going on! How on earth did 'family' show up so fast? Especially when he didn't have no family that I ever heard of," said the first man.

"Well, we were up here a few weeks ago," said Patrick. "We were visiting Brian then and my wife is related to him." "Here's hoping Ginny will forgive me for that little white lie," he thought.

"Yeah right. Just more lies," said the man.

"ENOUGH!" shouted Luc this time, heavy on the sub-vocals. "I give everyone three minutes to leave the premises. After that, I'm calling the sheriff."

Everyone was so shocked, that they left. Luc locked the front door and Patrick turned the sign to Closed.

"That should take care of that," said Luc as they walked down the hall towards the kitchen. Patrick nodded and was still trying to get the goosebumps to go away.

*

"You said what?" asked Ginny,

"It was just a little white lie," said Patrick. You yourself said you had a grandma from Canada. What's the possibility that you are related? Pretty damn close? Sort of like you are to Luc?"

"Well, okay. That reminds me. We need to go through his stuff and find his real relatives," said Ginny.

"Why don't you and Meg go do that while the men and 'Buster' go take a look around," said Angie. "I'll help Sam."

"Is that alright with you?" asked Luc. Angie was right. A walk with 'Buster' would help squelch a lot of things.

"Don't forget to have him go by the Dog Bar for a slice of pizza," said Sam. "When he was feeling good he'd go by and they'd always give him a piece."

"Good idea. We'll be back soon," said Luc as he, 'Buster' and Patrick went out the back door.

Sam turned to Ginny. "Here's the key to his room. Go through the stuff and figure out what you need to keep or toss," she said.

Ginny nodded and headed down the hall with Meg trailing behind her.

Three hours later, Ginny was pouring over a diary. Meg had laid down on the bed and taken a nap. Ginny was shaking her head, not able to believe what she was reading. "Damn! Patrick didn't lie!" she thought. She re-read the family tree in the back of the diary again.

Me and Natalie

(1916) Jenny and?

(1931) Lizzybit and David

(1948) Margaret and Jonathan

Ginny had found the family tree first as there had been a bunch of pictures stuck in the back of the diary. She glanced at the writing when the name Margaret jumped out at her. Margaret and Jonathan were her parents. That made Buster her great-great grandfather.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 17 milliseconds