• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonHuman
  • /
  • My Mystery Mate Ch. 26

My Mystery Mate Ch. 26

12

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."
-Janis Joplin, "Me and Bobby McGee"

Renee moved between her Pack soldiers and looked at them. "Linda, Joe, I'm sorry." Both looked at her. "By order of the Alpha Council, you are both under arrest."

The glare on Linda's face was now replaced with outright hostility. "WHAT?"

Renee smiled and handed her Lynn to calm her down. "It's a formality, and it's for your protection. The Telluride pack is getting desperate, and only by having you in our custody can my Pack and the Alpha Council assure your protection. Please, call your Pack back here, we have much to discuss."

You could have caught flies with Joe's mouth at this time. "What do you mean, safe? There are still shoot to kill orders out on us."

Robert stepped forward and put his arm around Renee. "Not any more, that order was rescinded but the Telluride pack isn't recognizing that decision. Come on, lets clear the entryway, there are some picnic tables over here where we can talk." He started walking away, his men following their Alpha pair.

Joe led Linda with him, she was paying more attention to Lynn right now. Her daughter was softly crying into her shoulder, she didn't like all the hostility and the smell of it made her tense. Linda patted her back and talked to her while they walked, then sat her between them as the Gila Alphas at a large concrete table. The Gila Pack fighters moved about to make it less obvious they were surrounding them, but it was still just that.

Joe had mind linked with his Pack and asked them to return, but they would take a while to get turned around and back to the rest stop. While they waited, Renee made the phone call to the Alpha Council members. All agreed to make themselves available for the trial in two days' time at the Telluride Pack. Once that was set, Renee called Alpha Francis. Her voice didn't show her revulsion with him, but her face did. "Alpha Francis, this is Alpha Renee Hastings of the Gila Pack. I wanted to inform you that we have arrested Black Ker and Joe Miller and have them in our custody."

There was a pause on the other end. "You didn't just kill them? Shoot them immediately!"

Renee took a deep breath. "The Alpha Council revoked the shoot on sight order and replaced it with a normal warrant. If you hadn't hung up on the conference call, you would have known that. I have no legal basis to kill them, and they have done nothing to my Pack. They will receive a Council trial, as decided a few days ago." She could hear sounds of breaking furniture in the background. "The trial will start at noon, two days from now. The Council has been notified and will be contacting you. Since you are the aggrieved party, your Pack has the burden of providing the charges and proving them before the Council."

"Very well, I will make preparations, and prepare the prosecution. She's guilty as hell, this won't take long. After the Council finds her guilty, who sentences them?"

"Your Pack would decide on punishment after a hearing before the Council, said punishment to be carried out immediately." Renee paused as she felt Linda kick her shin under the table, she didn't like that part. Robert glared at her, and Joe squeezed her hand tight and told her to relax. "It is a requirement of the trial that all Telluride Pack members attend and provide input to any sentencing."

"I will ensure our meeting hall is prepared for this. Other than the Council members, who else is coming?"

"Alpha Robert and I will be coming with some of our Betas and guards, we have to deliver them to the trial."

"No need for that, we can come pick them up and house them in our cells for trial."

Renee smiled. "No, actually you can't. The Council put this rule in to ensure the aggrieved Pack didn't try any extra-judicial punishment. We will time our arrival to the trial, so we will only need accommodations for the two of us, two Beta pairs, and ten guards for one night, more if the trial extends." They exchanged a few more details, then she showed her relief when he finally hung up. "I'm glad that's over, I feel like I need a shower now."

The Nightmare pack had made it back and were nervously making their way to the picnic tables through the ring of Gila pack warriors. They were up to date as Joe had left the bond open so they could hear what had happened. Enrique, being the Beta, spoke for them all. "Alphas, can we trust them?"

Renee smiled. "Let me bring a few more people in to talk about what has happened, then you can make your own decision on whether to trust my Pack. You and Anna should know our character, you know we wouldn't take this action lightly." Enrique nodded. "You should also know that none of you are in trouble, all of you are free to come or go as you wish. As members of the accused members' Pack, you are also entitled to sit in the trial and provide testimony prior to sentencing." Another car pulled up, and two wolves got out. The older Beta was easy to recognize, and the faces of both Linda and Lynn perked up when Grandpa Ron got out.

Lynn looked to her mom, then when she nodded she took off and jumped into his arms. The passenger took more time, as he still looked like he'd done ten rounds with the heavyweight champion. Andy got out and pulled himself upright using the door. Bruises and cuts still covered his face and arms, but he was smiling. Both men came and sat at the table, their necks exposed in submission. Linda and Joe were shocked to find Renee the same way.

Robert spoke first. "Linda, Joe, we made decisions without consulting you that intentionally placed your daughter in danger. We knew this, we did everything we could to minimize it, but we took the action anyway. We didn't ask permission because we knew you wouldn't give it."

Ron then spoke. "The Alphas and Betas came to me with the plan. I didn't see another way to save both my daughter and my granddaughter, so I gave them permission." He kept his eyes down and his neck exposed. Linda was looking from person to person, her anger rising.

"WHAT DID YOU DO?" She leaned forward, and the Betas shrank down.

"They did what we asked of them," Renee said. "Allow me to introduce two more people." She waved the couple forward. "This is William and Melody Post. William is our Pack lawyer and a former Army JAG, and Melody is a former FBI agent. When we first became aware of what you were being accused of, I asked them to investigate. They did an outstanding job, but in the end it came down to one problem. Only two people truly know what happened to the Telluride Luna that night, and neither of them would admit it. Without turning one against the other, we had no shot of getting you past a trial, a trial the Telluride pack is desperately trying to prevent by killing you first."

Andy lifted his head. "I was friends with the Telluride Pack Beta after the loss of their Alpha pair. I went to visit him, and told him that I knew where Lynn was, and that I could help him get her, and through her, get you." He hung his head back down. "I was hoping that he wasn't as bad as he ended up being, but he was eager to do so. They came down for an official visit, and I gave him the information he needed to take her. I made sure he understood that no one could get hurt."

Ron looked up next. "We had surveillance everywhere- in Maria's house and yard, we put a tracker on all their Pack vehicles, we had our trackers in the woods trailing him every step of the way. It went off just as we expected, and when he got to his getaway car we were waiting for him. Lynn never knew what happened, she was asleep when he took her and still knocked out when we rescued her. I did everything I could to get this done without her getting hurt, and it worked. I just didn't expect her to react like she did afterward." He hugged her again. "I'd never let you get hurt, little one."

Linda and Joe sat back, processing the information and passing messages over the Pack link. Finally, she looked up at Renee. "Did it work?"

Renee smiled. "Not right away, we caught him dead to rights and he knew it. We couldn't offer him a pardon in exchange for his testimony, that would be wrong since he was the one who killed his own Luna and kidnapped your daughter. So, we had to get it another way."

Andy looked up. "I had them beat the crap out of me and chain me down there with him. The cameras were running when I got him to confess to me." His smile was wide. "I've got him, on video, admitting he killed his Luna based on the new Alpha's orders."

Robert gently put his hand over his, then spoke. "That is why we brought you here. William tells me that we can now provide a defense that gives you a chance to exonerate yourselves. We just had to make sure you didn't get yourselves killed along the way. We will protect you, along with your Pack, through the Council trial and we will see justice done."

Telluride Pack Alpha Office

Colorado

The Betas looked nervously around the room, all wondering where Mike had gone to since he hadn't returned from the trip to the Gila pack. They also wondered why their Alpha was so pissed. He finally stopped pacing and leaned onto the conference table. "I just got word that Joe and Linda have been arrested by the Gila pack." There was some applause and then he smacked his hand on the table. "They are planning to deliver him here, but to the Alpha Council instead of me. I don't trust that group with a trial; too many are under the influence of Renee Hastings, or don't see Linda as an enemy after what she did to break those women out of the Torchelli prison. Frankly, we can't trust them to do the right thing."

One of his Betas looked up. "If they are protected by the Gila Pack, how do we stop it?"

Alpha Francis stood tall. "We kill her before she gets to the Council. They won't be able to fly in commercial with prisoners, so they will either fly into a private airport or drive. I want Pack snipers and trackers at each of those locations, and when you get a shot, you take it. As long as we don't harm the Gila Pack members, there isn't much they can do about it. Our Pack never revoked our original shoot on sight order, and they aren't Gila members. There will be blowback, but I can handle it, and the bitch who killed our Alphas will be dead." He looked around the room. "Richard, get a plan together. I want teams in place by sundown. Barry, you are in charge of the arrangements for the trial. We need the meeting center set up for the whole Pack plus guests, with tables up on stage for the Council and the prosecution and defense. Expect about ten VIP's and thirty lower ranked guests. Put on a good spread, we will need it."

Rest Area

Outside Albuquerque, NM

"All right everyone, let's load up." Joe had divided his Pack up among the Gila vehicles, as they would need the RV for the Alphas, their family and the defense team. After the Gila Alphas had laid out what was happening, the Nightmare pack had met privately in the RV. Linda wasn't happy that Lynn had been used as bait, but Joe knew that risks sometimes had to be taken. That was part of what made them such good Alphas, they weren't afraid to take a risk when they had to. The Pack had to concur that it worked, and that they could trust them.

The RV was in the middle of a five vehicle convoy, as the Nightmare Alphas were still (air quotes) "under arrest" as Renee said.

The miles piled on through the day and the next; the Alphas had considered the Telluride Pack might do something stupid, so they went on I-25 north until they got to I-70 in Denver. Running west, they were able to approach Telluride from the northwest, and timed it to arrive just before the noon start of the trial. The shock of the guards at the Pack border was a testament to the effectiveness of their run. The frustration of the Alpha at them arriving safe, the prisoners under the protection of a Council member, showed in their reaction when they reported in.

They parked the RV by a side entrance to the meeting hall, and Renee went in to notify the Council the prisoners were here. The Gila and Nightmare pack members surrounded the luxury coach, ensuring none of the Telluride wolves approached. When all was ready, Robert placed Joe and Linda in silver restraints and led them to the defense table.

Linda looked around after she sat, her back was to the audience and that made her nervous until the chairs immediately behind her were filled with her own Pack members and friends from the Gila pack. William sat with her at the table, nodding to the Telluride Beta he agreed that the trial could start. "ALL RISE." All the wolves rose to their feet silently along with one panther as the Council members filed in and sat down.

Elder Grey was the chair of the Council and of this trial. Looking at the two tables before him, he cracked the gavel down. "The trial of Linda Miller, also known as Black Ker, shall come to order. Prosecution ready?"

"Yes sir, Beta Louis Ridgeline representing the Telluride Pack."

Elder Grey looked at William. "Defense ready?"

"Yes sir, Beta William Post representing the Nightmare Pack."

One of the council members leaned forward. "Beta Post, you are a member of the Gila Pack, are you not?"

"Yes sir, but my Alphas have volunteered my services and the accused have accepted me as their lawyer." Linda and Joe nodded, so they continued.

Elder Grey banged the gavel and gestured to the defense. Linda stood next to William and listened stoically. "Linda Miller, you have been charged with trespassing with intent to do harm, murder of the Telluride Luna, Theft from the Telluride Pack, Resisting Arrest and the deaths of Telluride and Grand Island Pack members sent to arrest you. How do you plead?"

"On the charges of theft and trespassing, guilty. On the remaining charges, not guilty." She looked each council member in the eye as she said this, and Joe held her hand from her left side the whole time.

William and Joe then rose. "Elder Grey and Council members, in the interest of time Joe Miller requests that his trial be run concurrent with that of his mate." Joe nodded to confirm. There were no objections, so Joe's charges of Resisting Arrest and the deaths of the Telluride and Grand Island Pack members were read into the record.

Elder Grey addressed Joe. "How do you plead, Alpha Miller?"

"Not guilty."

"So noted. The Prosecution may begin."

The Beta called a witness, one of the patrol wolves. Before he was even sworn in, William was on his feet. "Elder Grey, council members, Linda has already pled guilty to the trespass and theft charges. I would ask you to direct the prosecution to limit testimony and evidence to the remaining charges."

"So ordered. Warrior Jones, do you have any direct knowledge related to the murder of your Luna?"

"No, Elder."

"The witness is dismissed. Move this along." The prosecution then shifted to the Beta female at the time who was present in the safe room with the Luna when she became ill. She graphically described how the illness suddenly came upon her, and how painful and long suffering her death was.

On cross, William poked holes all over the testimony of the now Luna Francis. "Luna, were you in the Alpha quarters at the time that Linda admitted being in the Pack House?"

"No."

"Did the Luna tell you she had been injected, eaten or drank anything prior to arriving in the safe room?"

"No, but she must have..." she was cut short by the Elder's gavel.

"Did you see the Luna eat or drink anything that night?"

"Yes, she had a cup of coffee. Many of us did."

William walked up in front of her. "Luna, how long was it from the time she started drinking the coffee until she started complaining of symptoms?"

She thought. "I don't know, maybe ten or fifteen minutes."

"Was the scent of Black Ker anywhere near the safe room area of the Pack house?"

"No, we only found it on the upper floors in the Alpha quarters." William thanked her and indicated he was done.

The prosecution had no redirect, so the prosecution moved to the other charges, starting with the deaths of those sent to arrest her. The first witness was the only survivor of the hotel attack, warrior trainee Lucas Madsen. He described how he was the driver for the group that had been tipped off as to her presence in Superior, and four of his Betas and Warriors had driven down to arrest her. He described his meet with Linda in great detail, then how he found his pack members dead in the room. The prosecution showed photos of the scene, one man in the doorway with his neck at an odd angle and the others face down in the room, blood spray on the walls.

When it was his turn, William started in. "Lucas, you testified that when Linda got in the car with you, she asked you, and I quote, 'Why did they try to kill me?' Is that correct?"

"Yes sir."

"Why would she ask you that if your men went in shouting she was under arrest?"

"I don't know."

"Well, you were just around the corner, you MUST have heard them yelling as they went in the room."

"No sir, I head the door breaking and the three gunshots and that was it."

"Oh. Well, since they were arresting her, they must have had handcuffs or silver rope or something to restrain her, right?" He pointed to the crime scene photos on display. "Can you point out to me where those are?"

"No sir, I don't see them."

"What exactly was the plan your Beta had if not to arrest her?"

Lucas looked at his hands. "The Telluride Pack was offering a million dollar bounty for her head. They weren't interested in a prisoner." William ended his cross and sat down.

When the prosecution called the men who had cleaned up the scene from the road involving the Telluride Beta and his men, William stood. "Elder Grey, the defense will stipulate that these men were killed by Linda and Joe Miller. Since the charge is murder of those sent to arrest him, we would like to request that testimony be limited to those with knowledge of the orders given to this group."

Elder Grey nodded. "That is reasonable. Beta Ridgeline, do you have a witness to speak to this?"

"Yes sir. The prosecution calls Beta Al Sanburg." The witness was brought forward; there was no need to swear in since Elders could sense deceit. "Beta Sanburg, you were the leader of another search team. Can you tell me your orders?"

"We were to block the escape of Black Ker and her accomplice, arrest her if possible, kill if not. If captured, she was to be brought to Beta Carlson."

"That would be Beta Carlson, who was killed by the accused?"

"Yes sir." The prosecution nodded to William.

"Beta Sanburg, did you receive a video from the scene of that attack from Black Ker?" He looked around, then said yes. "And what happened to that video you were messaged?"

"Alpha Francis ordered everyone in the Pack to delete them as soon as it came out. Only a few saw it, and I heard they were ordered not to talk about it."

William smiled. "Elders, our computer staff has been able to recover the deleted file and would like to enter it into evidence." He nodded, and soon the video was playing on the projector screens. The audience was glued to it, while William and Renee were focusing on the reactions of Telluride Pack members. The video started jumpy, but the audio of Linda asking to be brought back to trial came through. The video steadied as the beating began, and many in the audience found it difficult to watch.

The Nightmare pack was ready to fight, and only an Alpha command from Joe got them to sit down, though they continued to growl with each hit.

The Elders wore shocked expressions except Renee, who had seen this before. Even Linda found it difficult to watch. By the time the video ended with Linda's message to Alpha Francis, the mood in the room had shifted against the Telluride Pack. Even its own members were wondering how this was possible.

12
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonHuman
  • /
  • My Mystery Mate Ch. 26

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 20 milliseconds