• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Novels and Novellas
  • /
  • Not Just for Christmas Ch. 10-13

Not Just for Christmas Ch. 10-13

123456

There is a little sex in this part, eventually.

Chapter Ten

Tom had kept in touch with Mike, and they had gone out some Fridays, but Mike rather cramped Tom's style since he didn't want to bed any girls, and that was usually the purpose of Tom's Friday outings.

It was the second Friday in September when Tom phoned Mike. The younger children were not visiting that weekend, Mike thought Ginny was going to a birthday party and Ryan was having a sleepover at a friend's house.

"You've got to come out tonight," Tom told him eagerly. "I know where Dylan will be. It really is time we found out what's been going on."

So Mike went, meeting Tom as usual before moving on to the Vista Club. It was a small place, badly lit, but the music was quiet enough for people to be able to talk to one another as well as dance and drink.

They entered cautiously and Tom spotted Dylan in a corner with a woman. Neither Mike nor Tom knew her. They walked quickly to his table and he looked up. Then fear crossed his face.

"You are going to invite us to sit down?" asked Tom pleasantly though the menace in his tone also shone through.

"I've not a lot of choice have I?" he grumbled. "Hello Mike."

Mike nodded to him. Dylan did not introduce the woman who looked relaxed, until Mike began to speak.

"Now Dylan," Mike said calmly. "You owe me a lot of money."

"I'm paying you off," Dylan interrupted. Mike frowned.

"Not very quickly, it was a bridging loan," he stated. "So listen well. I'm going to ask you some questions, and you're going to give me answers that are as full as you can make them and that are truthful -- in fact the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, understand?"

Dylan nodded, and the woman began to look frightened.

"Some of the questions I already know the answers to," Mike smiled wryly, "but you don't know which. You lie, or if I even think you're lying, and I foreclose on that debt of yours."

"You can't do that. It's a loan between friends."

"I can and I will," Mike replied. "The money belongs to my company and the loan was notarised."

He shrugged, but Mike was sure he understood he was in danger of bankruptcy.

"What's this all about anyway," he moaned. "I've not done anything to upset you."

"That remains to be seen," Mike responded. "First question. When you wanted the bridging loan, were you shagging my wife?"

Dylan looked startled, thought for a moment and nodded. "Yes, but I wasn't the only one."

"Good answer. You've got the hang of it already. Give me the names of some of the others."

Again he hesitated, "Bob French, of course, but you know that, 'cos he's shacked up with Cheryl now."

"Go on."

"Gordon, the bloke she shacked up with."

Suddenly he looked panicked. "God!" he swore. "You didn't bankrupt him?"

Mike smiled. He hadn't, but Dylan didn't need to know that. Dylan quailed, "There was David, and Graham. Those are the only ones I know of."

"Again a good answer," Mike smiled at him encouragingly. "Now Dylan," Mike's face dropped. "I'm very upset because the woman I love has dumped me."

"Cheryl?" he looked puzzled.

"Don't be stupid. I divorced that tart. I'm talking about Claire and I'm very angry. You know why? Because some people went to visit her when she was weak and in hospital, and poisoned her mind against me, and you dear Dylan were one of them. I'm miffed, Dylan, I want some answers."

"I don't know--"

"Careful now. You don't know the question yet," Mike paused. "Whom did you visit Claire with?"

He thought for a moment.

"Tracy, it was. And I think Bob came along the second time. Oh, and Sharon."

"Good," Mike smiled encouragingly. "Now I know it's a while ago but what do you remember Tracy was saying to Claire?"

Now Dylan was beginning to sweat. "I remember that 'cos I thought it was unfair. There was something about you and Cheryl, yes, that's right, she said you and Cheryl were talking about getting together."

"What else?"

"Claire said that couldn't be true, because you and she were an item, something like that."

"And Tracy said?"

"I couldn't see where this was leading. Tracy said something about you only liking pretty women. Claire didn't like that. And yes! I said that if you had committed to her you would be loyal to her because that's the sort of person you are."

"And?"

"Well, Tracy agreed with me. That surprised me! But she went on to say something about loyalty not being enough, then she was back talking about how you hated ugliness, even your house is beautifully decorated and furnished, yes that was it. But she said I was right, and you would be loyal even if you found her face repulsive. I can't remember her exact words but that was the meaning. You would pity her. That's something she mentioned."

"How did Claire react?"

"Well, she went quiet and thoughtful then she said she was tired and would we go. So we went."

"What happened at the second meeting, the one Bob was at?"

"I can't remember," he paused and thought about it. "That's it! Claire was sad. She asked if Cheryl had been to see you and Tracy said she had and you looked as if you were getting together, but only if Claire would let you go.

"Bob went on about how you needed pretty women, you'd had affairs while Cheryl and you were married; you had an open marriage or at least you both tolerated it. I remember that because it shocked me. I didn't believe that. I knew about Cheryl fucking around but I never suspected it of you.

"Yes. Now I remember. Tracy said that you would never leave Claire unless she pushed you, and Bob agreed. It would be for the best in view of her disfigurement. I can see Claire's face now, she was so upset. They were telling her it was best for you and for her. Cheryl was more your type."

He thought for a moment. "I think that's it."

"And you sat there and let it all pass?" Mike snarled. "You toe-rag. You knew I wasn't like that. Hell, I do that work at the care home; you knew that!"

He had the grace to look shamefaced. "I don't know Claire, Tracy seemed to think she was just after your money and an easy life. She used to go on and on about it when we were out together. Claire was just a housekeeper, not our class. Her children were already thugs. I thought they were doing you a favour."

Mike breathed deeply.

"Anything else?" he growled.

"No, I don't think so. So what were you going to do?" Dylan asked.

"None of your business," Mike snarled.

"I mean about the loan?" He was almost whining.

"I've waited long enough," Mike said abruptly. "You have six months."

"OK."

They left Dylan. The woman Dylan was with regarded him with a certain amount of loathing. The visit had ruined his evening and his prospects with her.

They then visited their usual haunts hoping to find Tracy. She had a lot of questions to answer, but they didn't see her anywhere.

"OK," said Tom. "We go to her flat tomorrow. Can you make it about five, before she goes out?"

There was no one at home with Mike, so he agreed and they were to meet in a local pub, close to her place. Tom walked; Mike drove.

Tracy opened the door wearing a towel. Very fetching she looked too.

"Hi Dylan..." Then her face fell. "Oh, it's you."

"We need to talk to you," said Tom. "Are you going to invite us in or just stand there in that towel?"

She stood back to let them in, then disappeared for a few minutes and came down the stairs in a dressing gown.

"I'm going out tonight," she said. "I haven't really got any time--"

"Tracy," Mike broke in. "Why have you destroyed my life? What did I ever do to you?"

Her head jerked up and she looked at him.

"What d'you mean? I've done nothing to you."

"A few weeks ago you turned the woman I love away from me. You visited her three times in hospital and worked on her to get her to dump me."

She looked puzzled. "But you didn't love her, she was disfigured. Anyway she was only after your money."

"Tracy," Mike said with some acidity. "Since when did you know so much about me and the woman I love that you can make such decisions?"

"You don't love her, you only feel you have a duty to her after her attack."

"Can you read my mind?" he asked angrily.

"I know you only really love Cheryl so you can't love that woman; anyway she's only a housekeeper."

"Love Cheryl?" he gasped. "Where the fuck did you get that idea? Don't you remember she walked out on me and divorced me?"

"Yes but you still loved her and wanted her back. You fucked me because you were lonely without her."

"Tracy, I fucked a different girl most weekends, because I was a free man again."

"Don't give me that, Mike, you've been seeing her about getting back together."

At this Tom interrupted our slanging match.

"Tracy?" he said.

"Yes?"

"Mike hasn't been seeing Cheryl. She went to see him twice. The first time was when Claire was there. Mike threw her out. The second time was after Claire left him. She asked for a second chance and Mike told her there was no chance, because he loved Claire."

"But Cheryl said--"

"Since when did you believe a word Cheryl said?" Mike almost shouted at her. "Tracy, you do know she slept with at least four men while she was married to me? One of them was Dylan. Did you know she left me a note saying I was boring her and she'd found someone better in every way: Gordon? That was the moment that she was never coming back. I wouldn't have her back if she was the last--"

"I don't believe you!"

"About what?"

"Dylan."

"Oh yes he did."

At this the doorbell went. Tom went and opened it. There was a muffled conversation and Dylan came into the room,

"Hi!" Dylan said, and then saw Mike. "Oh shit," he said.

"Dylan," Tracy said with a certain amount of menace, Mike thought, "Did you sleep with Cheryl before she got her divorce?"

Oh, the pleasure of it! Dylan was totally discomfited. He looked at Tracy. He looked at Mike. He knew he was trapped. There was no way out.

"She came on to me," he whined. "I mean she's hot as hell, and she was offering it on a plate."

"How long for?" Tracy was very quiet but her tone demanded honesty.

"About four months. Then she dumped me. Went on to Bob I think. She's always had a thing for Bob. She's back with him now, isn't she?"

"What?"

"You didn't know?" he laughed. "She's with Bob at the moment. He's moved in with her, when she's not shagging that Steven."

"Steven?" asked Tracy, becoming more and more confused.

Dylan laughed. "He's a photographer at her work. She really pulled the wool over your eyes, Trace. Bob knows she's shagging Steven and for all I know they have threesomes. Bob's after Claire, as well as his usual sluts. They all fuck around."

"But she said she was living alone waiting for Mike."

"Mike?" he was laughing even louder. "She went to see him and he threw her out, twice! Bob told me."

Tracy sat down heavily. Her robe fell open, and Mike immediately remembered how much fun they'd had on that one night stand. She did not notice; she was thinking hard.

"By the way," Mike cut in on her thoughts, "Claire has more intelligence in her little finger than you have in your whole body. She's courageous and intensively protective of her children. She would die for them, in fact she nearly did. She's loving and caring and thoughtful. In fact she's everything that that selfish bitch Cheryl is not! For your information Tracy, I love her with all my heart, and more's the pity, she loves me.

"And while I'm at it, she loved me from early on, just after Christmas. but she never once made a move, never once allowed it to show. I didn't know how much she loved me until just before she was attacked by that bastard husband of hers. You might ask yourself, Tracy. How did Gary Sonter find her? There was an injunction out preventing anyone revealing her whereabouts. I suspect it was Cheryl and I'm going to find out.

"But you!" he was warming up. "You destroyed my life and hers, and her children's. You know they now visit me at weekends, like a divorced husband? They love me and I love them. I hope you're happy with your meddling."

She looked dazed. She began muttering. "The bitch! The scheming lying bitch. Selfish cow! She couldn't have him. Jealous cunt! Split them up because she couldn't..." and she lapsed into silence.

"Tracy!" said Tom sharply. She flinched.

"God, I've been so stupid," she said, looking apologetically at Mike.

"There may come a time when Mike here might need you to talk to Claire," Tom said quietly.

"Yes, of course I will. Anytime."

"You know Bob's been visiting Claire?" said Dylan.

"Bob? Visiting who?" asked Tom, now clearly worried.

"He's been visiting Claire."

"What?" Mike was astounded.

"He's going after Claire," Dylan said. "You know him. Big cock, lots of confidence."

Mike didn't, but Tom nodded.

"Oh shit!" Tom muttered, looking worried at Dylan's comment that Bob was going after Claire.

"He sees her during the day. When the kids are at school," Dylan was saying.

Now Mike was seething with anger. So, was Claire sleeping with Bob? Another stupid woman entranced by his big cock?

"I think Cheryl knows," Dylan volunteered, "but she doesn't seem to be bothered."

"You mean she's living with him and knows?" said Tom, amazed, "and about his other regulars?"

"Yeah, whatever," Dylan said morosely. "What are you going to do?" he said to Mike.

"None of your business," Mike snapped.

"Oh hell!" Tracy muttered. "That's Cheryl again. I bet she's sending Bob to fuck Claire. She'll be coaching him, he's a bit up front for Claire."

Then she looked up angrily. "That's why he suddenly latched on to us when we visited Claire, he had to come across as a compassionate friend."

Mike and Tom left with a great deal to think about.

Chapter Eleven

"I think Bob's next on the list," said Tom, as they drove away from Tracy's. "We've got to warn him off."

"Wait," Mike said. "If he's been visiting Claire at home, those next door neighbours will know, won't they?"

"What time is it?" Tom asked.

"Early enough to visit," Mike grinned. Then he had a thought. "Tom, we'll drive home, there's something I want to get. It's just a hunch."

He picked up a photo of Cheryl from when they were married.

Fred and Lucy. Fred was crippled with arthritis and couldn't work but Lucy went out to work 'to make ends meet'. They were in their fifties.

"You're the man who saved her weren't you?" Lucy said with a smile after introductions were made.

Mike smiled, but Tom jumped in.

"There's a problem, Lucy. Claire was influenced to break up with Mike. We suspect foul play. Can you help us? You may have seen someone we suspect of turning her away from Mike."

"Well," said Lucy, "Fred is the one who will have seen things. He sits in the front bay most days and watches the world go by!"

"So," Mike began. "Has she had any visitors during the day since she came back? A man?"

"Oh, yes," said Fred. "There's one bloke. Quite well built, handsome, well dressed, goatee beard. Been quite a few times but never in the evenings. Must be his own boss. He's been twice in the past week. He stays about half an hour. She sees him out."

"Any kissing? Hugging?" Tom asked.

"Not really. She's quite, how to put it, distant?" Fred thought from a moment. "He kisses her, then he leaves but she seems a little stiff."

"Well, thanks for being so helpful," said Tom, rising from his seat.

"Fred," Mike asked. "Going further back, after Claire left Sonter, did anyone come to visit her husband? Other than friends I mean?"

He thought for a moment.

"Well," he said. "He got drunk a lot, had women over for the night, loud music at all hours."

Apart from the night time parties?" Tom prompted him.

"There was that reporter."

"Man or woman?"

"Woman. Came here to the house looking for him. Came with a photographer the first time. I directed her next door. Good looking girl."

Mike got out the photo. "This her?"

"Yes, that's her. You know her?

"My ex-wife."

"Oh," Fred looked uncomfortable.

"It's no problem," Mike said. "She walked out on me five years ago."

"Well," Fred said, "she came over for a couple of weeks and stayed about an hour each time. I thought she might be getting his story. You know, 'abandoned by my family'.

"The photographer didn't come after the first time. Anyway she stopped coming and a week later all that trouble erupted."

Mike smiled. "Thanks Fred, Lucy. That's been a great help. Can I ask you not to tell Claire we've been?"

"Fine with us," said Lucy. "Will you be getting together with her again?"

"I don't know; I hope so."

They asked for, and he gave them, his phone number and that of his mobile.

They drove back to Mike's place in silence. This time they drank Mike's whisky.

There was little to say.

"Claire's got to know," said Tom.

"Yes," Mike replied. "The problem is getting her to believe it all."

"Bob's got to be stopped," Tom said next.

"Yes, as soon as possible."

"I'll get some of our mates to keep an eye open for him," said Tom.

"Thanks," said Mike, then a thought came to him. "If Cheryl was talking to Gary, what are the odds she told him where Claire was?"

"If that's the case, she's guilty of conspiracy. At the least breaking the injunction," said Tom. "Contempt of court."

"More than that. She's responsible for Claire's injuries."

"And yours. She has to be punished."

"One way or another."

More whisky.

Tom stayed over.

-----

Tom knew a guy called Geoff who worked at the Echo, though Mike had never met him.

Apparently Tom and Geoff met for lunches or evening drinks mid-week, whereas Mike was strictly a weekend man since he usually had work to do in the evenings. It was Monday night when Tom rang to ask if Mike could spare a couple of hours on Tuesday evening to meet the man.

It was a fruitful meeting and very convivial. Apparently Geoff had no time for Cheryl, who, he cheerfully told them, seemed to have slept with every available male in the newspaper office. She wasn't Geoff's type, mainly because he was gay, but she seemed to have settled with Steven, who he described as a 'randy bugger'.

After a few drinks, when he was feeling really cheerful, they asked him about Cheryl and the Gary Sonter case. Oh yes, she was involved with that in some way, though he didn't think she actually interviewed anyone involved. How did he know? She had been asking about the Christmas story when Gary Sonter's wife disappeared before the recent incident. In fact by the time Claire was attacked Cheryl didn't seem all that interested any more.

He remembered she got Sonter's address. Something about a follow-up story on the bereaved husband who'd lost his whole family. Did she know about the injunction? Oh, yes, that was announced to everyone. Everyone was told how serious breaking the injunction would be, personally for the reporter concerned, and for the paper.

So on Wednesday night Mike was looking forward, if that's the right word, to catching up on the work he'd missed on the Tuesday night. He was eating his late dinner having got in after extra work at the office, when the phone rang. It was Tom.

"Mike!" he shouted down the phone. "Can you get to 'The Hole' fairly quickly? Bob has taken Claire there for drinks and dancing. If he couldn't get at her during the day, I think he's making a play tonight. Someone must be looking after the kids."

"OK," Mike said, holding the receiver away from his ear. "You going as well?"

"Wouldn't miss it for the world!" he laughed. "I'll divert to Tracy's and pick her up. This is her chance to put things right."

"See you there," Mike said, and they disconnected.

----

Mike stood just inside the entrance. The club was full, but he spotted them at a table for four in a secluded corner. They were sitting at two adjacent sides of the table facing the dance floor.

123456
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Novels and Novellas
  • /
  • Not Just for Christmas Ch. 10-13

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 19 milliseconds