Silverfish Ch. 01

"And that is why the FBI is here, also?" asked the Sheriff, peering sideways at Jack Muscone.

"Yes and no." said Muscone. "The FBI did take interest in those previous bank burglaries, but on this occasion we simply were on our way to consult with the Commander about some crimes in his jurisdiction, and we were told he was coming down here. So we just altered our route, and here we are." Muscone's story was flimsy, I realized, and I wondered if Sheriff Sorrells was going to accept it.

"Not much happens in this county," said Sorrells, "except internal corruption amongst our politicians and some drug use amongst our teenagers. So why hit our bank here, even to get Commander Troy's attention? Why not hit the branch in his County, or one of the other banks there?"

"That's a good question, Sheriff." I said, cutting off a possible reply from coming out of Muscone's mouth. "And I think the answers will come if and when we catch the perp that did this. At any rate, this has been a delicious lunch, very delicious, but we're going to have to head back home now. I'll send you a report with any findings we come up with."

Part 8 - Exploration of Ideas

At 3:00pm I met in Classroom 'E' with Myron Milton, Mary Mahoney, Cindy Ross, Tanya Perlman, Teddy Parker, Joanne Cummings, Martin Nash, Jack Muscone and Lindy Linares, and Sheriff Allgood. I had brought Tanya and Martin up to speed on the bank heists before the meeting, and now filled everyone in on current developments.

"The SBI is not taking over the bank case in Coltrane County." I said, finishing my narrative. "Cindy and I will continue to work it on the State's behalf, in cooperation with the local authorities there. The FBI is here because of the old 'Silverfish' crimes, of course."

Martin Nash said, almost musingly, as an afterthought, "Silverfish... now why in the world would someone name himself after a dirty little insect?"

"Maybe there is a Christian element to it." replied Joanne Cummings, herself a practicing Christian with that 'wholesome' image, which runs in her family, I thought to myself... and then I thought some more about what she and Martin had just said... but was broken out of my reverie by Jack Muscone.

"I called my boss." said Muscone. "Both he and I are very concerned about the obvious leak here. He's beginning an investigation on the FBI's side, but he wants you guys to consider that the leak came from this end and he'd like you to investigate."

"Who knew about it?" asked Sheriff Allgood. He'd been the leader of Internal Affairs before running for Sheriff; this kind of thing was right up his alley.

"The people you see in here," I said, "ADA Patterson, Lt. Croyle, and Julie Newton in Vice. Where is Julie, by the way?"

"She's working with Teresa and ADA Stiles on a drug case, which is coming under deadline for trial." replied Cindy. "I told her to concentrate on that and not worry about this."

"Okay, good." I said. "We'll come back to the leak in a minute. Right now, I want to know if Myron and Mary found anything out."

"No sir." said Myron Milton. "The FBI cooperated with us, and gave us some of their studies after the news of today's bank job came out."

"What about serial numbers of the money?" asked Jack Muscone. "Did anyone try to follow the money that way from any of the 30 heists?"

"Yes sir." said Myron. "But none of the money on deposit was ever issued straight from the Federal Reserve, nor the Mints or big distribution banks. So there's no block of numbers we can trace."

"Whaa????" I gasped. "None of those jobs?" Everyone turned their attention to me, even as I was slipping into a reverie. A moment later I came out of it, realizing that I was in a very silent room of inquisitive Law Enforcement people.

"That is indeed a strangeness people." I said, feeling my mind still being pulled away. "Okay, back to the leaks." I said, trying to draw off attention until I could make further inquiries of that important clue without having to explain, and that explanation possibly leaking out.

Even Cindy couldn't get in a word edgewise as I continued: "I first got this Friday, and didn't discuss it with my TCPD Detectives nor anyone else, until Monday morning. The Coltrane County crime happened Monday night or Tuesday morning. Silverfish committed that crime for one reason only: to get my attention, most likely as an attempt to spit in my face."

"I just need to say this." said Muscone, "The Director told only me, and I told no one else at all. I even compiled the data in the folder myself. Now if you want to think that someone bribed me with a double-cheeseburger and got me to leak, go ahead; but I assure you I don't even know who I could tell that would lead to a bank heist to get your attention, Don."

"Good points." I said. "So have your people check out your computer lines to see if they're hacked, your boss's lines to see if they're hacked, and ask your boss who else he might have mentioned it to or had compile the information for. I'm sure his secretary is loyal, but one never knows what was overheard."

"If it is on the Federal side," said Agent Lindy Linares, "then there is only one person I'd suspect-- oh, I don't know if we can talk about that..." She turned to Jack Muscone with a silent look.

"Well," Jack said, "cat's out of the bag, or soon will be with these crowbar-wielding people around. Guys, let's do try to keep this under our collective hats, but the FBI has been deeply investigating the billionaire Henry R. Wargrave for the past few months. We think he's been involved in some of the industrial espionage that Don has uncovered, and we have been interdicting some of his international enterprises. I can't say any more on that, but the bottom line is that he might need money, and might be behind the bank heists before and the one last night. He would also have reason to 'tweak' Don, fitting into the narrative."

"So Wargrave is our first suspect here?" asked Sheriff Allgood.

"I think we have to consider it." said Lindy. "Don? Are we barking up the wrong tree?"

"Who knows?" I replied. "But Wargrave has been avoiding me for months, not trying to get in my face. I don't see him as the original Silverfish, but maybe he did have something to do with this Coltrane County heist."

Joanne Cummings said "Commander, can I ask a question?"

"Of course." I replied.

Joanne said "I'm wondering about this amount of money that's in these banks when they're hit. It's almost uncanny, especially that someone knew of it every single time. But also: what events would cause having this amount of cash on hand?"

"Very good thinking!" I said, very impressed. "So what events did you think of?"

"Something like rock concerts in those places at those times?" Joanne said. Everyone nodded and murmured.

"So much for that myth about dumb blondes." Cindy said brightly. "Great thoughts, Joanne!" Cindy was very pleased with the young Detective, as was I.

"Myron, something for you and Mary to check out for correlations." I said.

"That's an idea," said Tanya, "But many of the banks hit weren't in large city areas, which is where most concerts of that type occur."

"True, but it's a thought, and a good one." I said. "Joanne gets the gold star today. Okay guys, let's wrap this up. I'm sure the Sheriff would like to see us working on crimes rather than sitting here talking about old cases."

"I continue to be amazed at all of you." Daniel said. "Why anyone would want to commit a crime in this County is beyond me..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I called Myron Milton into my office and asked if he'd be willing to come to the Mountain Nest and work with me on something, even if we had to work through the night. He said that he was, provided pizzas were available. I told him he was getting good at extracting pizzas out of me.

So Laura brought in pizzas, and after eating and getting to know Bowser, Mary and Laura went off to talk about Mary's (and Myron's) upcoming wedding plans while Myron and I amassed the data we needed. As things formed up, Myron began to catch on.

At 1:30am, Wednesday March 11th, Myron said "My God, Commander, you've got it. You found the connection!" Bowser woke up with something of a yip, looking at us with curiosity.

"Yes." I said. "We've got to be careful about leaks, which is why I asked you to come here so we could use Laura's secure lines. But yes, we've got it." I could not resist a fist pump. Bowser wagged his tail, knowing that something was making me happy. I petted him on the head. "Yes, Bowser, we got it!"

"I think you're happy with yourself, darling." I heard a voice behind me say. Laura was coming up behind us, as was Goth Girl Mary.

"I have to admit," I said, "this is like finding that brilliant, beautiful chess move that wins the game and lives for all time. Yes, I'm happy with myself for this one..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Come in, Austin, come in." said Henry Wargrave on Tuesday evening, March 10th. He was sitting behind his desk in his office. The lights were dimmed, and it was possible to see the lights of the City through the window, stretching out to the horizon of the night.

Austin L. Murphy came in, armed with a briefcase full of several folders. Wargrave merely pointed at a chair for Murphy to sit in, and after he sat down he took those folders out and put them on the desk.

"Several things, sir." said Murphy. "First, football booster Tom Riordan and his wife Janet have formally separated. They've been having marital issues for a few months now. No divorce has been filed as of yet."

"That's unfortunate for the University's football program." said Wargrave. "Janet was an asset to the recruiting program." he added drily. The redhead Janet Dixon Riordan's greatest asset was her tight, sweet pussy, which she used to sheath young football recruits' cocks. Nothing other booster wives at the University and other schools did, but Janet was one very hot woman."

"Second, I received some information from our sources at University Hospital, after being alerted to it by Deputy Chief Brownlee." said Murphy. "It seems that Police Lieutenant Ross had a lung inflammation of her wound from last summer, and she will be unable to run in the triathlon this coming summer."

Wargrave nodded, then said thoughtfully "I still do not understand how she was able to survive that attack, and how she remains alive. She is as fortunate as the Iron Crowbar." Wargrave did not mention out loud that he had been an integral part of the attempt to procure Ned for the Corrigan Cell, and that he had supplied the weapons for the raid, the weapons that had so grievously wounded Cindy Ross. Austin Murphy did not need to hear it; he also knew that truth.

"Yes sir." Murphy said. "Third, and possibly most important: there was a bank burglary in Coltrane County, and the Iron Crowbar and his partner Ross were called in as SBI Reservists to investigate it. The FBI also came in to take a look. Lot of firepower for just a bank heist in a rural county, wouldn't you say, sir?"

"Possibly." said Wargrave. "Have you contacted our police sources about it?"

"Yes sir." said Murphy. "One of our sources says that the Iron Crowbar had his MCD team begin investigating some past bank burglaries by someone known as 'The Silverfish'. It appears this recent Coltrane County job was by this same Silverfish. I'm still working on getting more accurate details."

"I see." said Wargrave, then realized his seeming disinterest might give away the knowledge he already had of the Silverfish crime. "Er, make sure to let me know of anything you find out about that."

"I will, sir." said Murphy. "And what I do know is that Agent Muscone of the FBI has taken special interest in the case... the chatter is that he and his superiors are trying to find a link between this 'Silverfish'... and you, sir."

Henry Wargrave nodded, trying not to let his shock show on his features. "I see." he said. "It ties in with what's going on."

Realizing that he needed to inform his lieutenant of his situation, Wargrave added "Austin, there are some things you need to know. I have become aware of efforts by certain... 'unfriendly entities'... to restrict my activities and to investigate my role in some of my foreign enterprises. My problem is not so much Jack Muscone, though he is a pesky mosquito. My real problem is the CIA, particularly one of its Deputy Directors within the Directorate of Science and Technology. Apparently my little visit to her office did not sit well with her."

"Yes sir." said Murphy. "What do you want to do about the situation?"

"Not a damn thing." said Wargrave. "Not a God damned thing. That house fire that nearly killed her and her family has riled up not only her, but her husband the Iron Crowbar as well. She's dangerous, but she plays by the rules. He flat out does not care, and that is a very scary thing."

After a pause, Wargrave looked out the window over the City and said "A very scary thing."

To be continued.

For 'extra credit', any ideas on what the Silverfish bank heists are all about? Tune in next time...

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 25 milliseconds