Spell, Crook and Handle Pt. 08

"Reload," a man ordered. "We are going to blow open the safe room and kill that whore. We will do it for the prince and his family's honor."

The fog boiled in above and below them. The spell manifested without conscious thought. However, this time the tentacles clutched the men and drug them down through the dimensional rift. Their screams were cut off as they were pulled into hell itself. I directed the tendrils to take not just the living but the dead as well. Let them puzzle that shit out. Once the last man was drug screaming and begging from the room I cancelled the spell. The fog vanished and I dropped to the floor cancelling the armor's cloak. I altered its shape to shirts, shorts and flip flops. I examined the devastation and found a single intact bottle of champagne. I had just popped the cork when the Zurich police arrived. That was surprisingly fast, were they waiting in the wings? Had the Saudi's paid them off? Any regret about the bank robbery just evaporated. The police swept in with military precision and found me sipping from one of few remaining stemware.

"What happened here," the police inspector asked.

"I had some rude guests," I said. "You just missed them."

"Dear God, how did you survive," another officer asked.

"Hologram," I said and pointed at the ceiling. "If you hurry you might just catch them."

"Where are your guests," the inspector asked.

"Safe," I said. "I have a private security force on the way. Once they arrive I will have them exit the panic room."

"I would like to interview them," he pushed and I touched his thoughts.

"So the Saudi's did buy you. I suggest you relax or we will truly have an international incident."

"I don't know what you are talking about," he countered.

"Did you know that your country and I have history? Mainly I know quite a few ministers and a few inquiries into your bank accounts might prove embarrassing."

"Are you threatening me?"

"No," I said as the holographic display flickered to life and the Minister of Historical Preservation sat there rubbing his eyes.

"Louis, is that you Louis? You look good! How can I help you old friend?" The Minister asked surveying the situation. "Is that Inspector Klein with you? Is everything alright Klein? I hope you are treating Louis well. He has repatriated quite a few lost items for our government."

"Everything is fine Minister. I am taking his personal safety into my own hands. I am handling the incident personally?"

"Incident... what kind of incident," the minster asked his voice growing colder by the second.

"Armed terrorists," the Inspector said. "They are still at large but we will find them."

"Find them Klein and I want your best men to escort Louis and his friends to my home. They will stay here until this is resolved."

"But Minister... these women are..."

"Are they attractive?" the Minister asked smiling.

"Very," I added. "I don't want to be a bother..."

"Nonsense," the Minister replied. "I look forward to seeing you and your friends."

"Thank you Martin," I said and the hologram went dark. "I will get the ladies and you can go look for those terrorists."

I went into the bedroom and told the girls to open the door to the panic room. The heavily armored vault like door slowly swung open. They saw the police and looks of relief were a welcome sight. Surisa told the inspector that everyone was fine and her eyes narrowed just a bit when she saw his reaction. She continued and told them that they had heard all the gunfire but they were unable to see anything. The inspector was obviously disappointed but there was nothing to be done.

"So what the hell is going on," Surisa asked me in Thai.

"The inspector here is on the take from the Saudi royal family. They sent those men to kill Qadira and any witnesses."

"Whoa, is he going to turn on us," Surisa asked and I shook my head.

"We are all getting a police escort to a friend of mine," I told her.

"What really happened to the gun men?"

"Remember that little spell involving the fog and tentacles?" I asked and she nodded. "I had them get dragged off to wherever those tentacles come from."

"With those odds, I don't blame you," she said and saw how upset the inspector was that he couldn't understand what they were saying. "I am glad you are okay." She added in English.

It took three limos to carry the entire entourage. I did enjoy the police escort to the home of my old friend. I love the Swiss; they are the least uptight folk I know. We safely reached the minister's home and he welcomed us with open arms. An hour later the deliveries began. Surisa had called in a few favors and the party got a fresh infusion of food and alcohol. Martin and I had a little quiet time as the girls enjoyed themselves.

"Louis, what is 'really' going on?" He asked wearing his no bullshit expression openly.

I told him about Qadira and our history. He actually laughed and shook his head. Then he went quiet and made the connection between the so called terrorists and her. Martin stroked his chin and pondered the political cluster fuck he was staring in the face. I told him it was highly unlikely the terrorist would ever be found. He had mixed feelings about that but accepted it for now.

"I will be out of here soon," I said. "I don't want to overstay my welcome. I am arranging transportation and once that has been established I will be out of your hair."

"If the situation were different you could stay until this all blew over. Thank you for understanding."

"No, thank you for protecting me from Klein; he wasn't as understanding as you."

"I will deal with Klein. I have a niece that is married to his supervisor. I will have a little chat and take care of that matter gladly."

He went back to bed and my guests and I quietly enjoyed his hospitality. The sun would be coming up soon and Feng told me that my transportation was all taken care of. I thanked her and told her to tie into the Chapter House's security system and alert Gabrielle of my imminent arrival. I went around and asked a select few if they really wanted to come with me when I left. Surisa, Becca, Qadira and Rhiannon were the four that chose to leave with me that morning. They had packed their things and they watched as their luggage was taken out to the car outside. I laughed when they cried out as the car left without them. Becca was the one that stopped and looked at me.

"So how 'are' we getting to the states," she asked and the others quieted down.

"We are taking a non-stop route," I told them. "Gather round and hold hands."

They were a little dubious at first but it was Surisa that deduced what was about the happen. She used the T word, teleportation. Feng tied me into the Chapter House's live security feed. I could see the main hall and a single figure standing there patiently. I called on my entire reserve of mana and willed the five of us to another place half a world away. There was a loud popping sound of displaced air and we stood before the lady of the house, Gabrielle.

"Hey honey, I'm home," I said just before I collapsed.

I didn't pass out but I was weak as a kitten for a while. I was helped into the living room and I sat down. Gabrielle sat next to me and sent the others to the rooms prepared for them. She looked at me and I couldn't help but smile at her motherly glow.

"You look great," I said smiling.

"I feel great. You on the other hand look like shit. Just saying, I don't think transporting four other people was wise, do you?"

"Nope, but if they are with me they are in danger, for now. I am going to confront the Watcher. I am going to try and catch it before its ready."

"I can see the wisdom in that. But..." she said as her hand grasped mine tightly. "...maybe you can stay here. I can protect all of you. This place is warded against intrusion."

"You know better, it will go after my mom or sister or some other innocent until I face it. I want to see our daughter born as much as you."

"Son, it's going to be a boy," she smiled. "I have your Sicarius set out like you asked. Are you really going to do what I think you are? You aren't a murderer!"

"The Watcher has to be destroyed," I said. "If this were just about me I'd just surrender but it's not. This thing has gone crazy and even after I'm gone it will continue, unless I can stop it first."

"Do you know where it is?" She asked and I nodded. "I could send a detachment of Inquisitors..."

"You know it has to be me," I said and kissed her hand. "Besides what would Rome think of you if you were to order an attack on an angel? Sure, it is a rogue but still it hasn't fallen, yet."

"I trust you," Gabrielle said and it was just what I needed to hear. She might as well as said 'I know you can kill it.'

"Forgive me," I said and she smiled at me.

"You say that so much," Gabrielle replied as she always did. "I know that if you didn't need to feed there wouldn't be anybody else. I understand and I always will."

I filled her in on everything that had happened since my dad had died. I watched her expression when I mentioned my encounter with the dark pharaoh and she stopped my narrative there. She stood up and helped me to my feet. I was still weak from teleporting five people including myself. I followed her to the library where she went arrow straight to one of the book shelves and opened a secret door. I felt odd following her down the stairs to Ordo Hereticus' occult library. I heard what sounded like humming as she guided me to meet someone she called the Librarian. I felt a mental tingling and we reached a heavy oaken door.

"Come in child," a deep male voice called out. "You have a guest this time."

"Librarian," Gabrielle said bowing at the wizened figure. "This is the Linguist. He has had an encounter with Nyarlathotep."

"Interesting and you survived," he commented as he stood up from his place at an ancient roll top desk. "You are quite lucky or it has plans for you."

"It has plans," I replied as the tingling became a buzzing. I threw up mental defenses and the sound faded away completely.

"Impressive force of will," the Librarian said. "I can see why he wants you. Why have you really troubled me child."

"There is a rogue Watcher involved as well," Gabrielle replied apparently unaffected by the condescending use of the word child. "The Linguist has thwarted it twice now but a third encounter is inevitable."

"Has he now," the old man said his full attention on me now. "You are full of surprises. I would suggest carrying your Sicarius with you at all times. The blessing on it should be enough to harm a Watcher whether it is physical or not. I cannot guarantee success. Watchers are bloody fast and possess nothing that even remotely passes for human emotions."

"It blames me for its sister's death," I said and watched the Librarian's expression.

"She must have been quite important," the Librarian said thinking out loud. "How much do you know about this Watcher you slew?"

"She was the First," I said and the man set down the quill pen he was using to illuminate the manuscript he was working on. "I had the book she was bound in destroyed."

"Pity, I had heard quite a few rumors about that particular tome. You did well. She was responsible for so much tragedy. Why would a Watcher be upset about the death of a demon? He couldn't possibly hope to redeem her." He laughed and shook his head. "How could I possibly understand the mind of such a being? Good luck lad, you are going to need it."

"Thank you Librarian," Gabrielle said and guided me out. She seemed upset that things hadn't gone better. "I had hoped for more, but we are dealing with a Watcher after all."

"I appreciate everything you've done," I told her. "It was illuminating though."

The ladies slept while I meditated to restore my strength. Feng informed me that my pieces were in place. She didn't understand but I told her that didn't matter. Just as long as they were ready. A few hours later my strength was restored. I suspected Feng's little tweaking had a part in that. I went up to my room and found Gabrielle sleeping fitfully. I think she suspected what I had planned. She was clever that way. I opened my closet and found the case holding my custom gauss pistols. I picked up the case and opened it to ensure it had everything I needed. I also retrieved the only weapon that might see me clear of this, the Sicarius. I slipped it in the middle of my back and covered it with my hoodie. I walked over to the bed and placed a light kiss on Gabbie's cheek.

"I love you. I will always love you best."

I went down to the living room and found Becca, Rhiannon, Qadira and Surisa waiting for me. I just shook my head as I took off my hoodie and willed my armor to form two shoulder holsters. I opened the case, loaded the pistols and holstered them. I put the hoodie back on and frowned at the ladies assembled.

"Why are you here," I asked.

"Because I told them to join us," Gabrielle said from behind me.

I spun around and saw her dressed in her Inquisitor armor and wearing matching pistols. Cradled in her arms was her custom gauss rifle. It had been tweaked, modified and made to her personal specifications. She held it as if it were our child. I knew that look on her face. It was mirrored on the others and I knew enough to yield lest I break.

"A sapling bends in the storm," I said and they all laughed. "Let's go, the car is waiting outside."

The town car was idling right outside the front steps of the Chapter House. It was strange having four non-combatives with us. I let Gabrielle give them the speech about staying out of the line of fire and keep their heads down. I cleared my thoughts for the upcoming conflict and tried to settle my nerves. I didn't want the ladies here but I had no choice. I prayed my preparations were enough.

"Are you angry with me," Gabrielle asked after a long silence.

"Yes," I said. "But I figured my odds of sneaking away pretty low."

"Really and why is that," Becca asked.

"Feng, she crunched the numbers and she gave me a measly six percent chance of success. I guess she was right."

We laughed and it would be the last time laughter was heard in our company for a long time. We drove for almost three hours to reach our destination. An hour of that was a small two lane serpentine flat top that someone called Route A-C 18. The county road led ever upward in a series of breath taking switchbacks, tight turns and gentle curves. We were far beyond the tree line as we neared our destination. The driver got out and opened the rusting iron gates that marked the demarcation point between state park and private property. We continued on and the ladies peered out their windows at the antiquated wrought iron spears that formed the bulk of the crumbling defenses. Rhiannon shivered as we passed so close to the one element her people feared most, cold iron.

The car continued up the overgrown driveway towards the ruins of the burnt out manor house that had once occupied this land. It had once belonged to a lumber baron that had called this entire valley his own. Ignatius Nighthammer had been the master of all that he could see and the lord of Nighthammer Manor. But he and his immediate family had been killed when a fierce thunderstorm laid waste to his manor, his dreams and his life. A bolt of lightning had set the house ablaze and none survived. He did have heirs that survived his death and it was one of those heirs that had sold me the last remaining plot of land. I was the new lord of Nighthammer Manor or what was left of it. But I had chosen it for another reason. A more sublime logic had guided my purchase of this land and its moldering ruins.

Rhiannon flew from the car even before it had finished moving. She giggled and danced as she kicked off her shoes and dug her toes in the thick frost laden grass. The rest of us disembarked with a sense of patience. I tried to stop her but the giddy Sidhe was naked before a single word could pass my lips. Becca stared at Rhiannon and then at me for an explanation. I directed their attention to the wreckage of burnt timbers and shattered dreams before us.

"This is... was Nighthammer Manor. It was owned by a very greedy and powerful lumber baron at the turn of the last century. Among his numerous crimes was the attempted genocide of the local fae. He tried to cut down the entire forest you see below you."

"He nearly succeeded if my uncle hadn't intervened," Rhiannon added as she collected her wits.

"The gate we passed through runs in an unbroken circle around the entire top of the mountain. I bought this land so that I could return that which he stole back to the rightful owners. While I will hold title upon the land the iron will be removed and an open invitation to the Seelie and Unseelie Courts will stand between us, if she accepts of course."

"You are too generous," Rhiannon said dropping down to one knee. "On behalf of my folk I accept your gracious offer."

"What is so damn special about a mountain top," Becca asked. "No disrespect intended."

"It is a ley line nexus," Gabrielle whispered. "Three... no four ley lines intersect on top of this mountain. It is a very potent place for folks that are highly attuned to the forces of nature."

"A ley line is a stream of energy that courses through the earth. Think of it as a river of mystical energy. I picked here to call out the Watcher. As master of this place I will have a better chance of succeeding." I told her.

"Can't this Watcher do the same?" Becca asked and I shook my head. "Your claim of ownership keeps that from happening I guess."

"It doesn't even the odds, but it places me in the lower ten percentile." I said and smiled.

"How are you going to lure it here," Gabrielle asked and then saw my face. "OH... okay, everybody back, get behind the car, now!"

I laughed at her expression and walked to the singular intact structure on the mountain top. The intricate stone work was impressive and sat at the very heart of the nexus. I never got anywhere near it. The blinding flash of lightning forced me to throw a hand over my eyes. When I could see again there was a tallish hooded figure hovering over the nexus. I could tell by the naked feet that the Watcher had once again taken a female host. But that was all I could discern for now.

"You didn't really think I was going to give you the high ground did you," the androgynous voice boomed.

"Actually, for a second there, yeah I kind of thought I was going to have to lure you here," I replied frowning and bringing my mental shields up. "What took you so long?"

"Your wards and the cold iron were a mild deterrent. I have removed them. They will trouble me no longer."

"That's what I love about Angels they always do things in a big way. So what poor schlep did you possess this time you evil fuck?"

"EVIL... evil... you have the audacity to label me such? I am a Watcher of the First Gate. I was fashioned before the others ever saw the Light. It was I that drove the draconian hoards from the field of Heaven."

"Aw Fuck..." I said knowing who I faced at last. "Why the hell are you here Michael? Why are you doing this?"

There was a gasp from the ladies when I named my aggressor. I dared peer into the astral plane to see him on his own terms. His radiance was noticeably reduced from our first encounter. He hadn't fallen yet but he was close. His aura was rage and loss and sorrow.

"You were responsible for Her death!"

"She betrayed you and your creator. Why is there so much anger and bitterness over a mere demon?"

"No mere demon," Michael wailed. "She was my sister and fellow in arms!"

"You lie," I said seeing the briefest flicker in his aura. "She was far more than that."

"I will destroy you," the Watcher shrieked.

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 222 milliseconds