Stolen Birthright Ch. 21-25

I grabbed the tray of snacks, turning in his arms I fed him some meat and cheese while I thought through what he said. "We put together a team of ten to go get you. We weren't taking chances this time, our instructions were to kill you and bring back your heart. Tanner's oldest boy, Stephen, was put in charge since he was avenging his brothers. We staked out the Pack for a while, and since we had learned your thumb had been reattached by a human surgeon, we hit pay dirt. We looked for specialists nearby and sent people to their offices. A distraction or two, and we found out when your appointment was. We arranged for a roadblock with a human biker we met in a bar, and set up the ambush. We didn't know the Luna and her daughter would be along, or that your Beta would fight so hard."

"Why did you stop? You must have hated me." I could still remember how he stopped and looked at me as I was covered in blood, silver knife in hand.

"At first it was because I caught a whiff and you were human. You know the rules, it stopped me and I took a deeper sniff, and that's when I realized what you were to me. I'm sorry, I couldn't handle it. You had been made out to be our greatest enemy, a conniving little bitch, and if that wasn't enough you'd managed to beat back our attack. I ran, all the way back to my car and drove home before the Johnson wolves could catch me."

I settled back into his chest after a drink. "I always wondered what you were thinking. I could see the shock in your eyes, they were so bright, you were beautiful, it was like you realized you couldn't kill me."

He sighed deeply and held me closer. "I couldn't, but I couldn't accept you either. I went back home and reported in what had happened, all except the realizing you were my mate part. I told them I broke off from the fight when the Johnson warriors approached and barely made it to my car. I was sure no one else had made it. I'm not sure if they believed me, I was kept on a tight leash for a few weeks. The alliance fell apart after that, and rumors about you started circulating. Some said you were human, others that your Pack was in hiding and planning an attack. I got a break from school and I had to find out for myself, that's when I came out here and staked out your house."

I blushed. "I can't imagine what you felt like when you saw him, when you smelled me."

"My wolf was furious, but I couldn't hurt you. I ran until I had worn my wolf out, then went back home to think. I thought you were rejecting me, that you had chosen a human instead. It wasn't until Carolyn sent me that tape of the trial that I knew the truth. Ella, I had no idea. I should have been there for you, and it kills me to think about what happened because I wasn't there. I hope you can forgive me someday."

I kissed him and settled back onto his chest. "I was mad when I found out who you were, but I wasn't mad at you. I was mad at Luna for not bringing us together sooner. I'm still mad at her for losing my wolf. You did nothing wrong, Craig, don't blame yourself." He leaned forward and kissed me, and we made out like the teenagers we were for a few minutes before he finally pulled away. "Now why can't you mark me? I want you to, I can feel you want me." His member had been poking my side and he was forced to adjust it a few times while we were talking.

"I want to more than anything, but my wolf and I are in agreement that the most important thing is your safety. My father and the other two Alphas still want you dead."

I snorted. "Yeah, but Uncle Doug put the fear of Luna into them. They don't dare cross him, he said he would destroy them if anything happened to me. I could see their eyes, Craig, they believed it."

"True, so they won't kill you or harm you directly. That doesn't mean they won't find other ways to get back at you. I know there have been wolves sent out here to spy on you. If I can find your lover, others have too." He took my face and cupped it with his hands as we sat up. "I have to go back, it's the only way I can find out what they are planning and warn you about it. I'm not strong enough to take on my father yet, and my Pack is pissed off about our men being skinned and burned like that." He kissed me gently. "If I mark you, they'll know. I can't go back if they smell you on me, if they know who my mate is, and I won't be able to hide it. They'll kill me."

"This sucks." I gazed into his eyes as they begged me to understand.

"I have to go now. The bond between us will grow stronger with each passing minute, and it's already taking all my willpower to get up and leave you, Ella." He stood and went to the door, pulling his sweatshirt off and dropping it to the floor. I rushed into his arms, placing myself against his bare chest as I started to cry. "Goodbye, my love. I will call or text you when I can."

"Stay safe and return to me, my mate." We kissed deeply, then he dropped his sweatpants and shifted into his large wolf. I let my hand run through his fur as I opened the door and he walked out. He looked back once, his green eyes sad, before he ran for the hills and his waiting car.

I watched him disappear, then closed the door against the cold wind and sank to the floor.

"He's a good man, Ella. He's strong enough to do what is right." Mabel came into the room and cleaned up the plates as I got back to my feet.

"He is," I said. "May Luna protect him."

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 57 milliseconds