• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Celebrities & Fan Fiction
  • /
  • Surefoot 05: Secrets & Lies Ch. 03

Surefoot 05: Secrets & Lies Ch. 03

123

USS Surefoot, Alpha Squad Quarters:

"Friends?"

Sasha, Giles and the others were dressing silently in the main room, most feeling like they had hardly slept. Kitirik, however, appeared awake and alert. Sasha wondered how much sleep his people actually needed - then realised just then how little she knew about his race, or his planet. "What is it, Kit?"

"I know we have work ahead of us... but I wish to apologise, and to explain myself."

Sasha rubbed her eyes. "Are you sure this is the time-"

"We have time," Eydiir replied cryptically, ignoring Sasha's look and focusing on Kit. "Go on. This is long overdue."

Kit nodded, turning to the others. "Friend Jonas, I am sorry for yelling at you as I had. When you kept insisting I could be a warrior."

Jonas blinked, glancing at the others. "I'm sorry about that, Kit, I didn't know it would upset you like that."

"No, you didn't. So you should not apologise. I, however, knew what it meant to me. As I have told you, the Qarari are comprised of one female gender but five male genders, each genetically and socially distinct, and serving a separate function within our society: Warriors, Workers, Chancellors, Seekers and Creators.

I was born a Warrior, born with armour plating and reinforced muscle and fangs and claws. I was raised by Warriors. I was trained to be a Warrior. And such is our society that the notion that I would want to be anything other than a Warrior would be... unthinkable.

But I thought it. I never felt comfortable within my own skin. I did not want to be a Warrior. I wanted to be a Seeker: one who sought answers, through the sciences or medicine. It was a revelation to learn about physics, biology, chemistry... how our lives, our Universe was put together, and held together. It was... joyous."

His expression sobered. "It was a joy my family, my community, did not share. I asked why it was wrong to feel, to want, as I did. In response, they sent me to a re-education facility." He trembled now. "They were... very thorough in demonstrating how wrong I was, that our Behest made us what we were, and to challenge that was to challenge everything about our society. And no one wants to do that, do they?"

He looked up at them again. "I hid how I felt, acted as they expected, believing I would never have a chance to be who I really was. I was.... miserable.

Then Starfleet, the Federation, came to our world. I was assigned to escort and monitor a Starfleet officer during his stay. But I did more than that. I talked to him. I opened up to him. And he gave me an opportunity to leave, to leave my world and my life and start fresh, and true to myself. I claimed Asylum. The captain of the vessel sponsored my application to Starfleet Academy."

Tears welled in his eyes. "When I read the application form for the Academy, and saw the question that asked me what I considered my gender to be... what I saw myself as, not what my people or my faith or my government saw me as... I cried. It was the first time that my belief seemed to matter to others.

I underwent corrective genetic surgery to change my gender to that of Seeker. It has not been... easy. There have been ongoing medical complications; I was the first Qarari the doctors had ever performed such a technique upon. But I am managing to adapt."

Sasha looked to Eydiir. "That's why you seemed to know what was troubling Kit, isn't it? And that's also why you didn't tell us."

The Capellan woman nodded. "Medical confidentiality."

Sasha looked back at Kit again. "Why didn't you tell us any of this sooner?"

He swallowed. "I had grown... comfortable, in being seen solely as a Seeker of Knowledge, a Starfleet Academy Science Specialist. And all my friends saw me this way. I did not want to be reminded of what I was."

Jonas had paled. "And that's why you reacted like you did when I kept calling you a Warrior?"

Kit nodded. "My Seeker's body is weaker than my Warrior's, but I still remember much of my military training. It returned when that rude Nausicaan attacked." Now his tears flowed, as he made an effort to wipe them away. "I feared revealing my secret to my friends would make them see me in a different way. You will not see what I am. You will only see... what I was."

Sasha drew forward and hugged him. "You know what I see? A friend."

The others drew closer, Giles patting him on the back. "A friend who tells really bad jokes."

"And leaves his shed skin around," Neraxis added, joining in.

"And likes to hug," Jonas offered, grinning. "A lot."

"Anything but a warrior," Eydiir finished. "We promise you."

Sasha pulled back. "Now come on, we have to get to the bridge and get our assignments. We can eat later." As the others nodded and continued dressing, she smiled around at the others - and noticed Giles was looking sad. She wanted to stop and ask him why, but there was no time.

*

Alpha Squad arrived on the bridge, reporting to Commander T'Varik first in the briefing room. "Alpha Squad, you should be made aware that no more of the Malurian children have died since you were last on duty."

Sasha looked to the others, nodding. "That's good to hear. I just wish we could have done something for those who already died."

"Agreed." T'Varik breathed in before continuing. "But you should also keep in mind that without your superlative efforts in uncovering the trafficking operation, alerting Captain Hrelle and assisting in the capture of the traffickers, none of the children were likely to have survived to reach their destination.

The Captain has placed notes of commendation in the records of all the Surefoot crew for their efforts during this emergency. But I have personally nominated the members of Alpha Squad for the Starfleet Medal of Commendation for their particular efforts."

Sasha looked at the others again, shocked but pleased. "Thank you, Commander."

"It is not guaranteed that my nomination will be approved. However, if it is, then it will be your second such award, Sasha. I trust you will not be jaded by the experience."

Sasha grinned. "No, Ma'am."

More serious now, the Vulcan added, "If I might offer some advice to all of you: in years to come, life might lead you into doubt, disillusionment, dissatisfaction. If this happens, look back on your efforts here. Remember what you did. Starfleet is not just about exploration or defence. It is about saving lives. I am very proud of you."

"Proud?" Sasha teased. "I thought Vulcans had no emotion?"

"Yet another cultural misinterpretation. The emotions are present, merely employed at controlled moments such as this." Then she lifted a PADD from the adjacent desk. "However, there is a more distasteful matter to be dealt with. Normally I would wait until this current emergency is resolved, but I wish to take advantage of the imminent arrival of the USS Impala. Cadets, be advised that you are now participating in an ongoing formal disciplinary hearing involving a fellow cadet, against whom a number of allegations have been raised by multiple sources."

The six cadets looked to each other, allowing Sasha to ask, "Commander, who is this about?"

"Beta Squad Leader Jared Miro."

*

Deck 4, Brig:

Hrelle said nothing as he stood behind the invisible force field separating him from the single prisoner in the cell. He remained still as a statue as watched her lying there on the bunk, waiting for her to open her eyes.

Finally he grew tired of waiting, and muttered, "Captain."

Vera Wallachek jolted up, eyes wide... and slipping on a mask of distress. "Esek? Thank God you finally came!" She rose to her feet and stood in front of him. "There's been some terrible mistake! I have no knowledge of what my First Mate was up to-"

"Captain-" he repeated.

"Whatever lies he's been telling, I can assure you-"

Swifter than she expected, he slapped his open palm against the force field, making it spark and growl in protest, and making her step back instinctively.

His face remained as taut as his voice. "You were positively identified. We showed the Malurian children photos of the crew. You were the Pretty Red Hair Lady who gave them sleepy candy and let them watch Fat Cat and Lil' Kitten. Then they woke up in a tomb. Where they all would have died if not for my crew's actions."

She stood there a moment longer... and he could visibly see the pretence of innocence slip from her like a discarded cloak. "Please... let me explain... come in here..."

He growled. "Oh, that wouldn't be safe for you. Not in the least."

Wallachek's expression shifted once more, from contrition to defiant anger. "How dare you judge me? You think I wanted to take the Bel-Zon's money?"

"The Bel-Zon?" That made him react. The Bel-Zon were back in business? He had heard that with the capture and execution of many of their leaders, the criminal organisation had fallen apart.

"Yes! You think I wanted to do what I did? I'm not a monster!"

His eyes narrowed. "You could have fooled me."

Her face twisted into a scowl. "Screw you! Standing there, living your comfortable Starfleet life! Do you know what it feels like to have a business teetering on the edge of bankruptcy? To work hard for years, to scrimp and save, to have people depend on you for their livelihoods, and to have all your dreams scuppered by a malfunctioning warp core or a solar storm?"

"No," he finally admitted, his voice dead. "I don't know what that feels like.

I *do* know what it feels like to be a slave. I know what it feels like to be seen, not as an individual with rights and dreams, but as a commodity, a piece of property. I know what it feels like to be locked away in a container for weeks, lying in my own filth, starving, choking. I know what it feels like to be made to do terrible, terrible things to avoid punishment, knowing I might still receive punishment anyway.

I know what it feels like to be raped.

I know what it feel like to be tortured.

I know what it feels like to have hope bled and beaten and burned from me. I know what it feels like to think I will never see my family and friends and old life ever again.

I know what it feels like to want to be dead more than to be alive.

I know what those children felt like. What you put them through.

But you're right, I don't know what it feels like to have business difficulties. And maybe that's far worse than what I went through, or what those children went through. So maybe you should use that as your defence at your trial. You might get lucky."

He started to turn away, but stopped and offered a final, "But if you *do* get lucky, and someday get freed, do something smart for once: go away. Go far, far away. Because if by chance we ever run into each other in this life, I swear by the Great Mother Herself... I'll rip your throat out."

He departed.

*

"Captain's Log, Stardate 54868.9: The USS Impala has arrived, and I must complement Captain Arrington's crew for their speed and efficiency in taking over, their larger ship and complement better able to manage the Malurian refugees and the crew of the Beholder... as well as the bodies of both. They will also equip the freighter with a skeleton crew to pilot it to Starbase 154. We have also provided our collected data and individual accounts of the incidents, for the investigation and trials, and instructed the cadets that they might be called upon for further testimonials in the future.

I don't know if I can trust Captain Wallachek's assertion that the slaver operation was the work of the original Bel-Zon organisation, or a newer incarnation. Maybe it doesn't matter. I killed to protect my cadets, from whatever threat. But it wasn't easy. And with that in mind, I've made an appointment with Dr Ling to have some long-overdue medical issues dealt with.

And I'm also going to have to deal with Lucille Arrington when she gets here. Our last encounter was strained, to say the least, and I suspect it will be again. And the subject of our imminent brouhaha now will be the same as it was then..."

As if on cue, the door chime snapped Hrelle out of his monologue. "Enter."

Giles stepped inside, standing to attention and looking tense. "Cadet Giles Arrington reporting as ordered, Sir."

"At ease, Giles." Hrelle leaned forward. "I know Alpha Squad's been working without a decent break." He pushed forward a plate of sandwiches. "There's ham and cheese, or roast beef-"

"Sir..." Giles swallowed, his face red. "I wish to tender my resignation, effective immediately."

Hrelle blinked. "There's no need for that, Cadet. If you don't want a sandwich, just say so."

"Sir... I need to report that I was ordered to spy on you, using a secret communications device supplied by my father."

"I know."

Giles blinked, finally breaking the tension in his face and body to ask, "You do? How?"

Hrelle leaned back in his chair, folding his hands on his belly. "Occasionally I like to surprise the Galaxy with flashes of competence on my part. Yes, I know. I also know you didn't want to do it. And in fact you haven't really done anything to fulfil those orders. You know, if I had set you this task, I'd give you a pitiful rating."

Looking thoroughly confused, Giles glanced around, as if hoping to find the answers he sought on the surrounding shelves. "Sir- why haven't you had me arrested?"

He shrugged. "Well, I could say we've been too busy lately. But really, I wanted to see if you would do the right thing. And you did, by saying what you did just now." He rose to join Giles on the floor. "I've been reading some of the testimony from the freighter crew. Those that aren't claiming ignorance are claiming they were only following orders - as if that was a genuine excuse. They liked to think they could hide behind the defence of not having a choice.

But they did. We all do, when faced with the prospect of doing something wrong." His gaze lowered. "Not that I've always been a model of integrity. But maybe that makes me better qualified to judge others... and to forgive you."

Giles' own eyes dropped. "Thank you, Sir. I, ah, spoke to my father hours ago. I told him I wasn't going to do this anymore. I, ah, also told him I was resigning."

Hrelle nodded. "No doubt he's informed your Aunt Lucille. She'll come collecting you. Look at me, Giles."

He did.

"Do you really want to resign?"

Giles paled - and shook his head. "No, Sir."

"Well then, it's a good thing that only your direct superiors can accept your resignation, then. Now all we have to do is convince your Aunt that she can't have everything she wants in life. Fortunately, I have experience in that department."

*

Deck 1, Corridor:

"Squad Leader Jared Miro, report to the Briefing Room immediately."

Jared had just left Deck 4, helping to return all the blankets and sleeping mats back to the replicators for recycling, and had been looking forward to grabbing a meal in the mess hall before collapsing into his bed, when he heard the summons from T'Varik, and quickened his pace.

He wondered what it was about. Perhaps a commendation for his hard work? He had heard rumours that the little bitch Sasha and her squad had received some, just for getting lucky and discovering the Malurians. It wasn't fair! Had the Vulcan not been playing favourites in assigning that task to Hrelle's daughter, it could have been him!

He entered - almost immediately skidding to a halt at the numbers of people here: T'Varik, Counselor Shall, Lt Velkovsky, Sasha, Neraxis and Eydiir from Alpha Squad; and Rina Chaudri, Soolamea and Thykrill from his own squad; and Yeager from Gamma Squad.

All women.

He looked to T'Varik, who was standing as formally as ever. "Squad Leader Jared Miro, you have been summoned to respond to a number of allegations raised against you. As per Starfleet Academy Regulations 144.6, you are not required to answer at this time, but your lack of response may be taken into account during any subsequent hearings."

Anxious and on edge now, he focused on her rather than the sea of faces staring accusingly at him. "Commander, what is going on?"

"Mr Miro, you have made a number of statements regarding sexual relations you are alleged to have had with members of this crew, specifically Counselor Kami Shall, Chief Helmsman Lt. Velkovsky, Squad Leader Sasha Hrelle, and Cadets Thykrill, Soolamea, Chaudri, and Yeager. Is this true?"

Jared felt his face burning now, and he was trembling despite his efforts to appear cool. They couldn't do anything to him. They couldn't. "I... I don't think it's appropriate to discuss private matters like that in public."

That declaration produced a raised eyebrow from the Vulcan. "You appear to have had a profound change of attitude regarding discretion, Mr Miro. I will ask again: are you maintaining that sex took place between yourself and the aforementioned women?"

He swallowed again, looking to Thykrill, the Andorian Security Specialist on his own squad - and the only one he had managed to win over during his time onboard. She had been a virgin, and not very good, and since that one time he had tried to keep her at a distance. He looked to her pleadingly now. But the girl only offered him a murderous scowl.

"Well, Mr Miro?"

He looked back at T'Varik again, deciding he had no choice but to stand his ground. They couldn't prove anything, and none of them would be willing to take this any further and face public embarrassment. "Yes, Commander. I do."

"I see. You should know that we have run a number of neurological scans on some of your alleged partners. These scans indicate that they are genuine in not remembering having sex with you. The logical conclusion is that you have employed some form of memory-alteration device or technique on them to make them forget.

This constitutes rape.

Jared Miro, you are under arrest for multiple counts of sexual assault and coercion. Security, take him into custody."

Jared wasn't sure he had heard properly. By the time he saw Neraxis approach, carrying electronic manacles, he was shaking. "N-No- No, wait-"

Neraxis reached for him. He pulled back - but the Bolian was bigger and faster, easily grasping his arm, twisting it behind him, then kicking him in the back of one of his knees to force him face down onto the floor, securing his wrists behind him. "Wait, please, you can't- I WAS LYING!"

"Would you elaborate on that please, Mr Miro?"

Jared's heart felt like it was about to burst from his chest, and not just because of Neraxis' weight pinning him down. He forced the breath to stay in him long enough to repeat, "I- I was lying! I was lying! I didn't- I didn't have sex with them!"

"With any of them?" T'Varik asked.

He gasped, his head spinning. Then Thykrill spoke up, sounding disgusted as she glared at him. "Not quite. *I* had sex with him. But don't worry, none of you missed much."

"I'll rephrase my question: with the exception of Cadet Thykrill, did you have sex with any of the aforementioned women?"

He shook his head. "N-No..."

"Thank you, Mr Miro. Ms Nemm, help him back to his feet and uncuff him."

Neraxis complied, though she did so by lifting up by the scruff of his uniform over his rear end, making his underwear bunch up painfully. He caught his breath, still gasping, "I'm- I'm sorry! I won't do it again!"

"That much is certain." T'Varik continued. "On Stardate 35260.14, I placed a note on your permanent record for lying to a superior officer. At the time you were warned of the consequences of a repeat offence - such as you've just committed now.

Effectively immediately, you are expelled from Starfleet Academy. You will be taken back to your quarters to collect your belongings, and then you will be transported to the Impala, who will arrange for your eventual return to Argelius."

He shook his head. This wasn't happening! "But- But it was just talk-"

123
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Celebrities & Fan Fiction
  • /
  • Surefoot 05: Secrets & Lies Ch. 03

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 646 milliseconds