• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Mind Control
  • /
  • Susan Takes Charge Pt. 06

Susan Takes Charge Pt. 06

12

By Special Guest Author Susan Bailey and T. MaskedWriter

***

"I'll see you at the weighing-in, when your life sum total's made.
And you set your wealth in godly deeds against the sins you've laid.
So you place your final burden on your hard-pressed next-of-kin.
Send the chamber pot back down the line to be filled up again.
Take your mind off your election
and try to get it straight.
And don't pretend perfection;
you'll be crucified too late."
-Jethro Tull, "Lick Your Fingers Clean"

It can be embarrassing picking out exactly the right outfit for a special occasion, then when you arrive, finding out that another woman is wearing the same thing. For both of them. Unless one of those women is Contessa Helena de San Finzione (Or, at least, a cleverly disguised Rita Delvecchio.), who made her grand entrance several minutes earlier, and the other is Lucinda de San Finzione, who just followed her wearing the same dress. In THAT case, La Contessa is the "visionary trendsetter," and Lucinda is just the follower.

Lucinda was trying to recover, glad-handing the people whom she'd probably just seen at the office an hour or two earlier. That gave me a moment to turn back to "Helen" and give her a little wink. I looked around and made certain that the boys weren't in earshot, and neither was Lucinda. I channeled my drunkenness from the night before to pretend to stumble into Helen. I raised my voice just enough to be heard over party chatter, trying to slip the command into normal conversation.

"Oh, my goodness, Helen!" I said in Italian, making sure she hadn't spilled her drink on herself. Luckily, Rita knew it was coming and was enough of a pro to recognize that the moment wasn't right for a pratfall, so she managed not to. She followed my lead to laugh it off as I put my arm around her. "I am so sorry!" I said, before giving the command. "This is my good friend, Contessa Helena de San Finzione, everyone!"

It wasn't the perfect solution. I'd have to come up with an excuse to do something like that a couple more times, say it to a few of them face-to-face; but a large enough group near us now, if Rita's performance thus far hadn't convinced them, deeply understood that Rita was Helen. We'd opened up the buffet before Lucinda showed up as well, to be sure they'd be more concerned with filling their plates than turning their heads for her entrance.

That same effect, putting their brains into "consume mode," meant that I didn't have to command the entire room at once like I'd thought. Rita looked like Helen and she was feeding them and giving them booze; they weren't going to question it. The smart ones who might have been a worry in that department were home by now, probably telling their individual families about "some stupid thing Lucinda tried to rope us all into after work this evening."

A microphone with a podium had been set up for Helen to give a speech. I could have gone up to it, tried to test myself; see if I had Helen's level of power and control to issue a command to everyone except My People on that large a scale. But I still didn't know what Lucinda knew about The Thing. If she's after proof, I'd not only be giving it to her, but letting her know that others besides Helen can do it. I don't think she knew that Troy & Julie could, but if she suspected Helen, and I gave her the "demonstration" Helen's enemies always want, they'd only follow logically. Thinking Lucinda had only one objective tonight would be a mistake.

I came up with my own solution to the "how to control the room like Helen" problem by remembering the main lesson I'd learned today; that I am not Helen and shouldn't try to be. I DON'T have the kind of cagey criminal mind needed to keep three steps ahead of the world's worst lowlifes, so I need to stop pretending that I do and have my incredibly weird one, instead. Someone in the room was already trying to be Helen. And Rita was crushing her at it. I could see nothing to be gained and a whole lot to be lost by making that move, so I didn't. Instead, I gave Rita another signal to start making her way to the microphone. Once she did, I moved to intercept Lucinda.

* * *

"Lucy, dear!" I said with a smile as I blindsided her from the crowd. Hey, I've told the bitch she can call me Sue, let's see how she like Lucy. "I thought you'd never make it."

"Lucinda." She immediately let me know that she didn't. "Of La Familia de San Finzione," she continued in Italian. "Founding familia of the Sovereign County and Independent Nation-State of San Finzione. Remind me, Susan, dear. What are the Baileys known for again?"

"Irish Cream." I responded in the same tongue. "Also a song about a guy who got out of a bad relationship and needs to tell the singer who keeps promising him the world to come back to fuck off, because people like her never learn anything. We didn't feel the need to put our name on everything. There's also a porn actress whom I'm told I kind of look like that uses the name; but if she's any relation, my parents didn't tell me before they died."

"Why, I'm so sorry." Lucinda said in a tone that made it clear that she wasn't. "I was unaware you were an orphan. It must be horrible not knowing where you are from."

"It can be hard." I answered. "Having no storied family history of great achievements that I personally had nothing to do with to take undue pride in forces me to make my own."

"I'm certain you're used to having to make your own things in this world."

"Well," I replied with a sweet smile. "Not all of us can just look at what Helen does and copy her, Lucinda."

"Yes, a nice one there." Lucinda acknowledged. "If that were truly La Contessa and not the actress she pays to fill in for her at events, it would have been more embarrassing."

"I'm not sure what you're talking about, Lucinda." I lied. I figured it was time to start doing that with her.

"We both know that La Contessa is in Paris, fucking and sucking that Greek pimp and his other whore? Did you truly think the ruler of San Finzione could vanish for a month and no one would notice? Of course I knew. Why do you think this is all happening tonight?"

"The only reason I can think that your mind might make that paranoid leap, Lucinda, is that you were hoping that if Helen DOES have a double, and that's not an admission of anything; the double wouldn't have known better than to accept the poisoned apple you've brought for the twins. Or to refuse in a way that you can use to score points with your church group. On that note, and in case you thought I missed the 'other whore' dig back there; I have more respect for a woman who goes down on her knees in an alley for money than I do for one who does the same in church for the sake of being seen doing it."

Lucinda gave a smile at that, opened her purse, and produced a sealed envelope wrapped with a red ribbon.

"My concern is the future of San Finzione. For the souls of the heirs and the nation!"

"Based on how you've fucked up having one of your own, Lucinda, I'm not letting you anywhere near theirs." The crowd started murmuring and turning toward the podium. "Now if you'll excuse me, Lucinda, a CONTESSA is about to speak."

"Evening, everyone. I see some of you have found the bar already." She said, looking out at La Familia. "I know we're pressed for time tonight, so the chefs are bringing the dessert trolleys out now. I haven't seen many of you since before the boys were born, and I know how grateful most of you are for that fact." She gave a pause. There was a nervous laugh in the crowd. She accepted it and moved on.

"And, of course, I have to thank dear Lucinda for orchestrating all of this. It was her insistence that made this whole evening possible. Let's hear it for Lucinda de San Finzione, everyone!"

Some applauded as they looked for Lucinda. Most were carrying plates or seated at the tables, so settled for tapping silverware against glasses or dishes. I looked over at the gift table, which was about a third full. Large stuffed animals stood over toys that they wouldn't be ready to play with for years. A little battery-operated kids' car was parked in front of the table. Someone had given the twins a pair of cork guns. Did anyone even MAKE cork guns anymore? Or had someone gone home and grabbed an old toy off a shelf or from a box in the attic? The presence of a dusty Easy-Bake Oven told me "probably the second one." A page like the one who'd gotten me from Colleen's house back when all this started was holding a purse and a clipboard so the guests who'd brought the envelopes of cash could make certain La Contessa knew who'd given the twins how much. One corner was taken up by a pile of onesies, sun-hats, pacifiers, and rattles, all with the words "San Finzione" on them in bright, friendly letters. A number of them bore the silhouette of Castle Finzione on top of La Collina that served as the castle's logo on signs and tourists' clothing like these items.

"And all the little tourist clothes from the castle gift shop?" Rita continued. "Just adorable! You know, I've been getting a LOT of parenting advice lately, whether I ask or not; and with twins, you'd think the advice only doubles, but that's not even cutting it close. And none of it; the books, the doctors, the other parents, the random people who think having a child equates to wanting their opinions; suggested making the boys wear the name and picture of their home in case they ever forget where they live or what country they'll someday rule. It's very thoughtful. Now, I know some of you have brought special gifts..."

She started looking out over the crowd. I reached into my own purse.

"Well, Lucinda." I told her, making a show of turning to one side to reach into the bag. "It's time for me to be exactly what you think I am: Uncultured, American swine."

She leaned in close to look at what I might be getting out of my purse. I pulled out an envelope of my own as swiftly as possible, using the motion to elbow Lucinda in the stomach. She managed to keep from doubling over but dropped her envelope.

"Oh, I'm terribly sorry about that, sweetie!" I said in a voice that I used to use after refilling the coffee cup of some asshole who'd been a bit too loud telling his buddy what he'd like to do to the waitress and "accidentally" knocking it onto him. Which, I'm terribly sorry, sir. I must not have seen it because those titties you were telling your friend you wanted to do all those things to got in the way. Let me go get you another cup and some paper towels.

"Thank you, Helen!" I said loudly, and in English, as I made my way through the crowd to Rita. "My friend, Contessa Helena de San Finzione, everyone." I commanded again once I felt I was far enough away from Lucinda. I started applauding, and the mixture of applause and clinking dishware returned. "I'm sorry, I couldn't contain my excitement any longer. I'm from America you know, everyone says we're rude like that. And I'm so proud of my gift that I just couldn't contain myself any longer and just had to be first." I looked in Lucinda's direction. "I'm sure there will be better, more expensive ones, but this is so cool, I just HAD to be first."

I presented the envelope to Rita.

"Some of you may or may not know that I am a serious Trekkie; yes, girls can like Star Trek, too. And, well, I've enrolled Vincenzo and Byroni in Star Fleet Academy!" I excitedly told the crowd. "I printed out the details earlier, it's a kooky little summer camp that some fans have come up with. A Star Trek camping experience. The kids go on 'away missions' into the forest, always supervised by adults in red shirts. I mean, you don't think they're gonna make the kids the Redshirts, do ya?" I laughed. "They play little Star Trek trivia games and teach the kids the values of the Federation; something any future ruler should learn. It's a few years off, of course, but whenever they're ready for it, I've gotten a lifetime enrollment for both of them." I looked directly at Lucinda for the next part. "And I can't think there's a better set of values and ethics for the future rulers of San Finzione to learn early on than those."

Rita's reaction was to give me the most delighted of Helen's patented Delighted-to-Meet-You smiles before also turning to Lucinda.

"Thank you, Susan. You're right, there will probably be more extravagant, lavish gifts than yours; but I know that yours comes from the heart, and that you only have their best interests in mind. We accept!"

La Familia cheered on cue. This was something else we planned at the meeting before we all broke up to perform our individual tasks.

"We have a good enough idea of what Lucinda's gift is going to be." I told the others as I turned on Helen's computer and printer. "I need to do what I heard a guy in a mobster movie once describe as 'taking the jam out of her donut.' I read about this cool thing and thought about getting it for them a couple years from now, but if I can take a big shit on Lucinda's gift by being sure to proudly, boisterously give them mine first, that's a far better cause."

The cheers hadn't been overwhelming, but they didn't need to be. They just needed to be loud enough to ensure that if Lucinda tried to give hers right after, it would make her look as foolish as... well, as going to a party wearing the same outfit as Helen and trying to follow her act, I suppose.

I stepped back and took a little bow. Like Lucinda, I had more than one goal tonight, and the second was about to be achieved.

* * *

Helen took the microphone again. (You all get that "Helen" is Rita by now, right? I'd hate to have lost you there.)

"Thank you again, Susan." She said into the mike. "I know you always have their best interests at heart. That's why I want you to be Vincenzo's godmother. And I'm sure you all know that my oldest, dearest friend in the world; the great American artist Julie Equals, is going to be Byroni's." She looked directly at Lucinda. "Of course, it won't be OFFICIAL until the actual ceremony down at the cathedral, and that might matter to SOME people, but I know that it's what's in your heart that matters." She turned back to me with a loving smile. "And I can see that they'll forever reign in your heart as they do in mine." She turned back to the crowd.

"Some have speculated as to who their godfathers will be. I haven't said anything to the public yet, because I felt that a matter worth serious consideration: Which man in this world do I trust enough to safeguard my boys' souls? And why it's taken me this long to answer that is because the answer was so obvious that I wanted to give other ideas a sporting chance first. I did so, to be fair, and that one name continued to stand out in my mind. The only man that I COULD trust with their future: Generalissimo Hernando Ramirez, Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces of San Finzione."

Helen gave a few seconds' pause to let the murmurs pass through the crowd before resuming.

"I know that he is the best choice, as he was for the task of defending the entire nation. Some have always questioned his choice for the task, but I never will." She looked to Lucinda again for the conclusion.

"I have faith in him, you see."

That was my secondary objective. It was time for the People to let up on Ramirez. I'd called him and asked if he'd wanted to be a part of things tonight. He thanked me, but rightly pointed out that he's a busy man who doesn't have time for this sort of thing and wasn't why he gave me his direct number. He didn't disapprove of my plan, though. And I knew Helen would like the idea and go along. The whole "bringing our weird little family unit closer together" thing was Helen's primary reason for going through with a baptism. And the Generalissimo is at least a peripheral member of that family. A move like this would restore the People's confidence in him. He agreed to that part of the plan, at least.

While we'd been talking, Jeanne pushed the stroller over by the door closest to us. She bent down, made a sniffing noise, and picked up young Lord Vincenzo. She held him for a second, and then he started fussing, like Byroni did when I took him away from his brother for too long. Looking back down in the stroller, I saw that same look on his tiny face. Jeanne was about to put Vincenzo back down, when I gave her a little hand signal not to. This was the next, most essential step of the plan.

"After we've made our points," I told them back before all of this. "The next part relies on the twins. Luckily, it's a job that newborn babies are totally up for: Give Mommy any excuse whatsoever to take them out of the room." The fussing soon evolved into crying from both of them, giving Helen that excuse.

"I'm sorry, everyone." Helen told the room. "They're babies, they do this kind of thing. We kind of thought something like this might happen. Luckily, Lucinda was kind enough to provide us with a Plan B for the evening. I'm afraid bedtime is going to have to come a bit early. What're ya gonna do, ya know? Susan, dear, would you be so kind as to take charge?"

I nodded. Helen returned the microphone to the stand. She walked over to Jeanne and the babies, made some shushing noises, and the two of them proceeded to push the stroller out together as Rita Delvecchio made her exit from the scene.

And with that, I stepped up to the microphone and proceeded to take charge.

* * *

"Thank you everyone." I said to the room. "Lucinda." I stopped to mention by name. I looked over at her, trying to play cool, but also trying to figure out what "her" Plan B was. Now it was time for MY educational gift to her.

"I guess you were right, Lucinda. It WAS foolish to expect month-old babies to be ready for something like this."

Right on cue, Colleen poked her head out of one of the kitchen exits and gave me a signal. Stavro entered the room with Maria and did the same.

"Contessa Helena de San Finzione is," I told the crowd. "Above all else, the servant of The People. She has always been deeply concerned that their voices be heard. Why, she went so far as to create a Citizens' Grievance Office for that very purpose; to make certain the voices that need hearing the most get heard. When La Contessa mentioned to Lucinda that the boys might not be ready for such fine company as your illustrious selves, Lucinda came up with a brilliant idea to turn it to our advantage. After all, is not the motto of La Familia de San Finzione Malum Pro Bono Mutuamur?" ("We Derive Good from Evil." A long time ago, I said that harnessing evil for good seemed to be the San Finzione way. That was more literal than it may have sounded at the time.)

While I'd been talking, the kitchen staff finished bringing out the trolleys full of what Maria had asked them to stay late earlier to make. It was time to reveal what the signs I'd put up to replace the ones leading to the reception said.

"And so, for the next two hours, I'd like to welcome you all to 'Lucinda de San Finzione, in conjunction with the Citizen's Grievance Office presents A Lock-In With La Familia!"

This was what I needed Stavro and Colleen for, and why I needed to see if the castle had a couple of extra buses on hand. They drove the two largest ones back to Stavro's office, and that's when the Citizens' Grievance Office went to work; calling up everyone on lists C, and especially D, and inviting them to an opportunity to take up their grievances with a member of La Familia directly. As it happened, a number of their grievances happened to BE with members who would be in attendance, and the two buses were swiftly filled, thanks to Colleen's experience organizing a lot of cranky people in and out of large vehicles. (Colleen was a flight attendant when she and Helen met. Now she's the head of HR for Air Finzione. Good things happen when these people like you.)

12
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Mind Control
  • /
  • Susan Takes Charge Pt. 06

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 16 milliseconds