Swamp Frogs Ch. 01

Both Bettina and Chief Moynahan noticed that Cindy had rolled her ice-blue eyes at Bettina's sanctimonious speech. The Mayor called upon Chief Moynahan for his comments.

"I'll just say," said the Chief, "that I support my Police Commander and my Deputy Chief. I find their actions to this point warranted and reasonable---"

"Reasonable?!" exclaimed Gregg Berger.

"Let the Chief finish, Mr. Berger." admonished the Mayor.

"Yes, reasonable." said the Chief. "Especially when I compare them to some of the unbelievable actions of the Press towards Commander Troy. You seeeeem to want a war with that man. I'd suggest you reconsiderrrrrr."

"Ms. Moon?" said the Mayor, pretty much cutting off the Police Chief.

"I drove all the way over here from the City," said Julie Moon of KSB, "in order to attempt to reach an understanding between my Media colleagues and the Police. The actions of the Police in this County are creating a toxic atmosphere in other locations, such as the City and Midtown. Constantly reciting nitpicking examples of what are in your opinions grievances is not helpful to reaching that understanding and moving forward."

"Chief Ross?" asked the Mayor.

"Let Captain Thompson go first." Cindy said, her voice almost meditative, her internal spring still coiling...

Captain Thompson spoke up. "The thing I've noticed is that you people of the Press tried to gin up racism against Sheriff Allgood for not being at my promotion ceremony. You constantly refer to Governor Jared as a racist merely for wanting to enforce the law regarding Illegal Aliens, and you give voice to those who falsely accuse him and demand his resignation."

"I've seen my share of racism and racist comments directed my way," continued Thompson, "but I've never seen a shred of racism from Sheriff Allgood, Chief Griswold, Chief Moynahan, and especially Commander Troy, who is as fair and impartial a man as we black Police Officers can ever hope to work for."

"Yet members of your Press Corps," went on Thompson, "called Tasha Troy-Patterson a 'halfbreed', one of the most viciously racist comments I've ever heard. Those journalists were never condemned, never reprimanded, and are still employed by you. The hypocrisy would be stunning, but it's not surprising considering it's journalists we're talking about."

"I disagree with that." said Meredith Peller. "I understand you supporting your bosses in this room, but Val Jared absolutely is a racist and a misogynist, and it's our duty to point that out to our viewers."

"Name one example, one concrete example, where the Governor is a racist." replied Thompson, stunning the reporters that a black man was supporting Jared. "I've got your reporters on tape calling Tasha a 'halfbreed'. Show me where Governor Jared ever used the 'n-word' or actually said something that could be considered truly racist."

"If you can't see the obvious," replied Peller, "then there's no point trying to help you see reason."

"All right, all right." said the Mayor before Thompson could respond. "Let's move on."

All eyes went to Cindy Ross. She did not wast the opportunity. "Mr. Mayor, Sheriff, Chief," she said with alacrity, "this meeting is a waste of time, and nothing of value will come of it... because these Press people simply refuse to acknowledge that they're wrong about anything. They refuse to admit their bias, they refuse to admit their deceit----"

"This is exactly what Ms. Moon was talking about." interrupted Gregg Berger. "Citing specific examples of what you consider our wrongs is not moving us towards a mutual understanding."

"And that is exactly what I'm talking about." retorted Cindy angrily. "You have not listened to one word that we have said. Or, more correctly, you are refusing to hear and acknowledge your own actions. There is no compromise, no path to agreement, if you Press assholes won't acknowledge that you're biased, corrupt, and the biggest hypocrites on the planet."

Cindy went on: "Captain Thompson's example is an excellent one, and I noticed that Ms. Peller copped out rather than explain her slanderous assertion that the Governor is a racist. Another example, and hell yes I'm going to name examples: you keep saying Hillary Braselton and Donna Rodman had 'credible' claims against Governor Jared, but---"

"They are credible." interrupted Meredith Peller.

"Then why in the hell did they admit to trying to set the Governor up?" Cindy fired back. "Why did they plead guilty to criminal charges?"

"Because Commander Troy browbeat them----" started Bettina, falling into Cindy's trap.

"BULLSHIT!" Cindy yelled. "They had lawyers and legislators... Republican legislators... trying to protect and help them against Commander Troy's investigation of them. He didn't intimidate those women, he proved they were the criminals and had broken the law!"

"And to that point," Cindy continued, fury on her ruggedly pretty face, "you continue to lie that the women's claims, which they themselves admitted were fraudulent, are 'credible'. You never mention their guilty pleas while you falsely accuse Commander Troy of harassing them. Your coverage of Governor Jared is rated at 98% negative, and I don't know where they're getting the other 2% from. Not a shred of objectivity from any of you!"

"We're not going to lie just to give Jared positive publicity!" Bettina said angrily.

"But you're lying about him now, calling him a racist, and you're definitely lying about Commander Troy." said Cindy. "And you're calling Commander Troy's wife and daughter vile names in personal attacks. And I haven't even brought up Hardwood yet."

"Oh, for God's sake!" Bettina spat in exasperation.

"We're not John Hardwood." said Burt West. "We don't judge the entire Police Force based upon reports of one cop beating up a drink driver."

"Yes you do. You sure try to." Cindy retorted. "You cast good Police actions in as negative a light as possible, every time. Remember the Cobra incident? Two Officers's lives saved, but you instead tried to use that to attack Commander Troy, even tried to say he was a racist for taking that lifesaving action."

"But I digress." Cindy hurtled on. "My point was, and is, that I don't consider any of you any different than John Hardwood. Whether physically or verbally, you've attacked Commander Troy's daughters."

On a roll, Cindy continued: "Ayn Rand wrote that 'there is no halfway between you and your murderers'. There cannot be agreement between us if you continue to act as you do. You are sitting there, believing that you've done no wrong, and you can say anything about us and do anything you want, and we have to take it. Well I am here to tell you: we are not taking your shit any longer. Until you admit that you're not what you claim to be, and until you begin reporting in a truly fair and honest manner, there never will be any halfway between us, never any so-called 'mutual understanding' to reach."

"We are doing our jobs fairly and honestly." said Gregg Berger haughtily when Cindy had to stop to draw breath. "Mr. Mayor, and Chief Moynahan, perhaps we should be meeting with just you. Obviously it is Commander Ross who is biased, and---"

Chief Moynahan managed to reach out an arm to prevent Cindy from getting up and using her green crowbar on Gregg Berger. Then he said: "It won't make a difference, Mr. Berger. What you are going to hear from me is no different than what you are going to hear from Commander Ross or Captain Thompson. I agree with them entirely, and I fully support their actions regarding the Press to this point."

"You scheduled this meeting so that Commander Troy couldn't be present." continued Moynahan. "I think you're going to find that he's not alone in his feelings towards the Media, and that he is the least of your problemmmmmms."

"I don't accept any of what Commander Ross just said." said Julie Moon. "You say that we're not listening to you, but we are... and I for one strongly disagree with every accusation you have made about the Press. Additionally, you're the one hypocritically ignoring our complaints about Commander Troy's abusive actions toward the Press."

"Okay, we're not getting anywhere." said the Mayor. "How can we reach an accommodation between the two sides?"

"I'm not sure we can." said Julie Moon. "The Police are not offering anything at all for us to work with."

"Just remember one thing, Ms. Moon." Cindy fired back, now at the end of her patience. "We do not need you. At all. We'll keep doing our jobs, no matter if you even exist. We don't need to take your crap, and we don't need to seek any 'halfway' with you corrupt, holier-than-thou liars. You haven't exactly offered anything in the way of honesty for us to 'work with', either."

"So is there any point in continuing this charade?" asked Zoe Singer, her voice cutting through the tension in the room. She was met with silence. The Mayor suggested the meeting end for the time being, and that both sides try again later.

Both sides knew there would be no 'later'.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Meanwhile, back in Midtown, the Inquisition continued. Surprisingly, we'd only objected once to 'scope' in the first two hours of the interrogation. For the most part, Mullen and Bacon painstakingly established every part of my Police career, from obtaining my college degree and military commission, to my Army experience with the Military Police, to being a lab tech, to my TCPD career, and to being an FBI Consultant.

The scope objection came when he asked about my 'relationship' with Dana Fox, and I told him he had to prove a correlation to the scope of his inquiries before I would answer. Being unable to do that immediately, or not willing to put that card on the table yet, he was forced to drop that line of inquiry...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 1:00pm, we broke for an hour for lunch. Mike Todd and I went to the office of State Rep. Billy Williams ((R) - Town & County), where Subway sandwiches had been brought in for us, and for Norm Chow as well.

"How do you think it's going?" asked Rep. Williams.

"Not bad." I said. "But all this is table-setting. He intends to take me before the Grand Jury." I explained my reason for thinking that.

"If you're a suspect and target of his investigation," said Norm Chow, "you can just refuse to appear before them. Plead the Fifth before even walking into the room."

"Or you could do the Bill Clinton thing," joked Billy Williams, "and go before the Grand Jury and tell them what the meaning of the word 'is' is."

"What are you planning on doing?" Mike Todd asked.

"Letting it play out." I replied. "I think Mullen has something up his sleeve. He's laying this smooth, easy groundwork, we're going over the details, nothing really new, nothing exciting. But when I get in front of the Grand Jury, I think he's going to throw an illegal curveball, a spitball, at me. And until that happens... we're just on a raft on a 'Whitewater' river..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 2:00pm, we reconvened, and Mullen finally got to work asking about the pertinent cases.

"Last October 25th," said Mullen, "were you contacted by the Governor when the news story of the sexual harassment allegations broke?"

"Yes." I said.

"Did he ask you to investigate the two women?"

"No."

"Not at all?"

"Not at all."

"You're under oath, Commander." said Bacon.

"No I'm not." I said. "But even if I was, the answer is the same. The Governor never asked me to investigate the two women."

"What did you tell him, during the phone call?" asked Mullen.

"I told him I was coming down there." I said. "I told him to make no statements to the Press until I got there."

"Who did your tell you were going to Midtown?" asked Bacon.

"My boss, the Chief." I said.

"Anyone else?" asked Mullen.

"I don't recall." I said, using that phrase for the first time.

"What do you mean, you don't recall?" snarled Bacon.

"I mean," I said, "that I don't remember who specifically I told I was flying to Midtown."

After going through the Braselton-Rodman case in every granular detail, Mullen turned to the Jasmine Nix assassination.

"You investigated the assassination?" asked Mullen.

"That depends on what your definition of 'investigated' is." I said. Mike Todd began laughing.

"You think something's funny, Mr. Todd?" Mullen said menacingly, staring daggers at Mike.

"Yes, as a matter of fact, I do." said Mike, amusement still in his voice.

"All right, Troy," snarled Mullen, "what do you mean by that?"

"Only that you are asking a trap question." I said. "I was asked by the Governor to go over what the FBI and City Police had found in their investigation. I was not an original investigator, but reviewed what was already catalogued into evidence. And knowing you, whichever answer I give, you'll say is the wrong one, and a lie."

"Why don't we put him under oath, and ask again." said Bacon.

"In time, in time." said Mullen. "But mark that down. Okay, Commander, you reviewed the evidence. Ms. Nix was shot by a rifle from a window in the hotel across the street from her position. How was the shooter able to fire through the window?"

"There was a hole cut into the glass of the window." I said.

"And how was that hole cut?" asked Mullen.

"I don't know." I said.

"What do you mean, you don't know?" Bacon snarled.

"I mean," I replied, "that I don't know the specific means by which that hole was made."

"There was no glass found on the body of the man believed to have fired the weapon, is that right?" asked Mullen.

"There was nothing documented where anything like that was found." I said.

"And there was no glass found on the street, sidewalk, or in the bushes below that window, correct?"

"Again, nothing like that was documented as having been found." I replied.

"Were you satisfied with the conclusions of the local Police and the FBI?" asked Mullen.

"Yes." I said.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 6:00pm, Mike Todd insisted on a supper break after four hours of questioning. Mullen said "Today's session is over. Tomorrow, Commander Troy, you will be testifying before the Special Grand Jury. Wear a standard uniform or civilian clothes."

"Hey!" objected Mike. "You said he was a suspect!"

"He's a witness against Governor Jared." said Mullen, unable to hide a gleam in his dark eyes. "Of course, if I think his testimony perjures him, I'll certainly ask for an indictment."

"You can't have it both ways." said Mike, springing his own trap: "Don, I strongly recommend you get full immunity before testifying before the Special Grand Jury."

"Sounds like a good idea." I said.

"No." said Mullen. "Either appear, or take the Fifth. Unless you have something to hide."

"Stop with your bullshit." said Mike. "If you have nothing to hide, give him immunity."

"Sounds like a good idea." I said.

"One more time." Mullen said. "No immunity. At all. I'm the one calling the shots here, Troy. Either appear, or take the coward's way out and take the Fifth."

"The bugger is really trying to get me to take the Fifth." I said to Mike.

"Who are you calling a 'bugger', you little piece of shit?" snarled Mullen.

"You. Bugger." I said, staring Mullen down. "What are you going to do about it?" Unfortunately, Mullen showed his cowardice and backed down. Day 1 was over.

Part 3 - Pizza And The Law

Mike and I had been invited to stay with Midtown Police Chief Frank Soltis at his house... which he was renting from me and Molly. SBI Lieutenant Norm Chow also came over, and Frank invited Midtown PD Detectives Steve Ruger and Kimberly Wesson to join us for supper. Ruger and Wesson had been involved in the 'Environmental Hazards' case.

As we ate, the Midtown peeps filled me in on things they'd been doing, and some of the corruption they'd cleaned up. "We busted a drug ring that had ties to the Southport Mob." said Chief Soltis. "To get their underlings back, and out of jail, they gave us a lot of what State Senator Richard Langdon had been doing, though it wasn't much. And they agreed to keep their noses out of Midtown from now own. State Senator Cerone said he would ensure they kept that end of the deal."

"Langdon sure has quieted down." I mused, halfway to myself.

"Word has it that after he was severely beaten up by 'unknown persons'," said Chief Soltis, "he started realizing discretion was the better part of valor."

"Or..." I said, "he's just laying low while others do the dirty work and make the sausage, so to speak. One thing y'all should watch out for is that if they get Jared out as Governor, the Republicans will think it's over... but the Democrats intend to go after Collins, too."

"If Collins is elevated to Governor," said Steve Ruger, "there will be a special election to fill the Lt. Governor's chair... as long as the election is declared a month before voting day. If not, then we go two more years until another one is elected."

"That explains their need for speed." I said. "What happens then, if there is no election?"

"The Speaker of the State House, John Paul Newton, would become Governor if needed." said Mike Todd. "And he's a Republican."

"Unless the Democrats take control of the State House in November." said Soltis. "Then guess who is in line for the Speakership?"

"Langdon." I said.

"Yep." said Soltis. "Orrrrrrrr... your buddy Katherine Woodburn. She's young, hasn't been there very long, but she has a ton of contacts and friends already, and she still has a lot of Press friends from her days owning KXTC. Okay, let's stop putting it off... how did it go today, Don?"

"Uhhh... I think it went okay." I said. "I was surprised Mullen didn't put me under oath; I thought he'd sign Mike's paper and be held to the same standard. That told me he was going to drag me to the Grand Jury. Everything after that was trying to find where he can ask trap questions before the Grand Jury."

"You haven't done anything wrong." said Steve Ruger. "They'll never convict you of anything."

"They don't have to." I said. "All Mullen wants is an indictment. And then there will be huge pushes to have me suspended from the TCPD."

"And that'll set you back on all the other stuff you're investigating." said Norm Chow. "Unless you just go to the F... " It was hitting him. "... B... I..."

All eyes turned upon me. I just got another slice of pizza. Per the Cerone/Molinari Doctrine, nothing was going to be solved by not eating...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"You okay?" Teresa asked Cindy as they, Joanne, Jerome, and Teddy Parker ate pizza and drank beer on the outside deck of the Cop Bar.

"Yeah." said Cindy as she chugged down some beer from her frosty mug. "It just... it just hit me this morning that Don might not be back. If the Grand Jury indicts him and he gets suspended, he might go to the FBI... all the way, not just as a Consultant."

"Yeah." said Joanne sadly. "But won't he come back once he's cleared? There is no way he's going to be convicted of anything. Heck, the Governor could pardon him if he wanted to."

"He's not going to be suspended, even if he is indicted." Teresa said. When everyone looked at her, she said "The Governor is not going to do it. Chief Moynahan has stated publicly that he won't do it. Sheriff Allgood wants to become Mayor; he's not going to self-destruct his own campaign by doing it. And almost all the Council Members are running unopposed; they'll vote the way they always have. And if it's a tie vote, the Mayor is running for Congress and won't vote against Commander Troy."

"I hope you're right." Cindy said. "But what makes you so sure about the Governor?"

All contents © Copyright 1996-2024. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+1f1b862.6126173⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 20 milliseconds